You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Postcard from Vegas (belated), Part 1. Room with a view.

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,522

I felt rather guilty that i was unable to post anything from Vegas due to the Geo-Block, though it was completely out of my control. Just to add to my guilt, i was able to post daily on another site which is unconnected to Sky Poker. As you may recall, @Doooobs was kind enough to cross-post some of it, for which I was most grateful.

So I thought I'd try & make up for it with a few posts about this year's Vegas trip.

I'll try & do a few of them, &, all being well, they'll appear every few days.

Most of you will find most of it boring, but if you look hard enough, you may find something that tickles your fancy, especially once we get on to poker. Possibly...

Comments

• Options

Room with a view? Well yes.

As always, Sky put the players (& me) into a beautiful room with a Strip View, which costs extra. However, I downgraded to have the "rear-view" which meant I could see the planes landing & taking off at Vegas Airport, plus the bonus of something called the MSG Sphere. The Sphere has lots of different digital light displays, & I'd venture to suggest it is quite unlike anything else on earth. It has dozens of different displays which rotate in roughly 3 minute intervals.

Imagine looking out of your window & seeing this. Oh, & for scale, look at those cars driving along Sands Avenue which, incidentally, will be part of the F1 GP circuit in November. Or, also for scale, that white building in front of the Sphere is the 6 storey Wynn Staff Car Park. (Think about rhat, the Wynn has a 6 storey car park just for it's staff).

(Click "Image" below please)

• Options

This might be fun come Halloween too. Almost certainly the world's biggest puimpkin?

Again, click "Image" please.

And here's a still of what it looks like during daylight hours...

And if we pan a little left, that's the Wynn you can see, which has a matching twin, the cleverly named "Encore", both of which might just be the sexiest looking hotels in Vegas. In the background, that oasis of green, is the Wynn Golf Course, which currently charges $550 per round per player, plus buggy. Almost nobody plays it, ever, not due to the cost as much as the sheer heat. A few brave souls do venture out at first light, maybe 6pm, but once it gets to 9am, it's way too hot.

Too hot? This was the temp on a typical day in the late afternoon, after it's cooled down a tad. 111f all day every day is plenty hot enough, believe me.

• Options

The room itself? Not too bad I suppose. Not sure I've ever stayed in a better Hotel room lifetime. Incidentally, I'm not trying to chirp, or make anyone jealous, but hopefully it might entice you to try & qualify next year, assuming they do Vegas again of course.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    One for crane geeks now, which I suspect might just cost me a reader or two.

I took this 'photo during last year's trip, whilst the Sphere was undergoing construction, as I do like a bit of crane p orn.

That crane right there is the world's 4th largest mobile crane. Wiki tells us.....

In February 2020, the world's fourth-largest crane, a Demag CC-8800 crawler crane, was set up on the site's northeast side for the purpose of lifting heavy construction materials. The crane is capable of standing up to 580 feet (180 m). In a disassembled state, the crane was transported across the Atlantic Ocean from Zeebrugge, Belgium to Port Hueneme, California. The crane then required 120 tractor-trailers to transport it to Las Vegas. A separate crane was required to assemble the main crane, a process which took 18 days

Again, for scale, the white building in front of it is 6 storeys high. That's one seriously big crane.

• Options

What actually IS the Sphere though?

Basically, an entertainment venue. Think of the O2 but 10 times bigger.

It officially opens next month when U2 have a 29 night residency booked. And to be fair, the Sphere needs to be monsta big if it is going to be large enough to contain Bono's ego.

• Options

Well that's a starter.

If it gets enough views, I'll do 3 or 4 more, at, say, 48 hour intervals, featuring different aspects of Vegas & in particular, this year's trip, & maybe even some tales of derring do at the poker tables.

I'll spare you any further crane p orn though, there is a limit to what I ask you to endure.
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,168
    I fully understand the room switch to see the planes :smile:

Top man, thanks B) I'd never seen that sphere before. The Halloween version is quite something!
  • Options
    NoseyBonk said:

I fully understand the room switch to see the planes :smile:

Top man, thanks B) I'd never seen that sphere before. The Halloween version is quite something!

Yes, you'd need a big front window in your house to display that thing. It's pretty scary actually.
  • Options
    thefallthefall Member Posts: 1,969
    I'll row in with c rane **** far classier than Tr actor **** 😂
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,636
    It's a different world over there meanwhile we have to look at this
    Hope you had a great time mate

• Options
    goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,790
    Loving the updates & pics. More please <3
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    Incredible, still something that remains on my bucket list to go over and be blown away by it all. Everything is just monsta, and I bet the pics and videos could never do it justice. Maybe next year!
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,528
    bbMike said:

Incredible, still something that remains on my bucket list to go over and be blown away by it all. Everything is just monsta, and I bet the pics and videos could never do it justice. Maybe next year!

What he said.

Thanks for taking time out to do these reports @Tikay10 .
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,550
    @Tikay10 ..thats not a room, thats a suite..Been looking forward to your write-ups..more please.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,016
    Been lucky enough to go to Vegas many times.

Can honestly say Vegas may be the best place in the World to spend 3 days. And the worst to spend 3 weeks.

Love the pictures. Brings back great memories. More please
  • Options
    edrichedrich Member Posts: 1,899
    Top postcarding @Tikay10

Last saw the sphere as a black frame, so will be keen to see it lit up. Looks amazing.

That's the thing with Vegas structures. You don't appreciate the size of the them as everything else around is so big.

Until you walk up to them.

Agree with @Essexphil to a certain extent. I'll go 5-7 days.

Looking forward to postcard no.2

• Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    Excellent postcarding Tikay.
    More please.
  • Options
    68Trebor68Trebor Member Posts: 1,943
    Keep them coming @Tikay10
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,168
    Tikay10 said:

Room with a view? Well yes.

As always, Sky put the players (& me) into a beautiful room with a Strip View, which costs extra. However, I downgraded to have the "rear-view" which meant I could see the planes landing & taking off at Vegas Airport, plus the bonus of something called the MSG Sphere. The Sphere has lots of different digital light displays, & I'd venture to suggest it is quite unlike anything else on earth. It has dozens of different displays which rotate in roughly 3 minute intervals.

Imagine looking out of your window & seeing this. Oh, & for scale, look at those cars driving along Sands Avenue which, incidentally, will be part of the F1 GP circuit in November. Or, also for scale, that white building in front of the Sphere is the 6 storey Wynn Staff Car Park. (Think about rhat, the Wynn has a 6 storey car park just for it's staff).

(Click "Image" below please)

Defo one to keep your EYE on .........

......eeeeeugh. I thought it was quite scary-Ugly tbh

Bet the Light Show version will be great tho' :)