You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

TREK 13 - AND THAT'S ALL FOLKS

124»

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,321

That's a great write-up, thanks Mark. Nothing like a bit of adversity to test our mettle, eh?
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    Nice read.

Bit late now, but we had similar issues at Llanberis car park, however there was one machine there that accepted card payments, or you can pay with an app on your phone. You're right though, 12 quid is daylight robbery.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,160
    Yup that's all there is left now folks as this time next week I will hopefully be over halfway around the route.

One more shorter training trek tomorrow (Sunday) of about 3 hours and then it's just a few gentle strolls to get the muscles all nice and loose.

Starting to hydrate now with at least 4 litres of water a day and will get that up to 6 from Wednesday onwards, whilst nutrition from mid week will focus on protein, complex carbs and dietry fats.

Ok, there's nothing more to say really.

See you on the other side.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    Gl with the trek Mark pace thee sen and smash it
  • Options
    Just received an Email from the Events Team.

Apparently they are concerned that the weather forecast for Saturday is showing extreme temperatures that may pose a risk to the participants. At the moment the event is going ahead with extra water and rest stations. However the event organisers have intimated that there may well be amendments to the event up to and including cancellation.

They have issued an edict that anybody seen entering any body of water during the event will be removed from the event and yet the official lunch rest is at Sharlstone after 7 miles where there is a large open air pool. Wonder how many will "drop" there.

To be honest I already began changing my load out from Tuesday in anticipation of this. I'm attempting to lose 2 Kg of pack weight so I can carry an extra 2 litres of water.

My lightweight long sleeve top and my waterproof jacket weigh in at a combined 1.25 Kg so I reckon if I ditch the nutrition bars and just use gels that's the other 750g. Obviously its all in dry bags so if I have to endure a mandatory kit check they can all be put back in the fastpack.

Am I concerned ? Yes, one of the big contributing factors to my Angina attacks are over exertion during hot, humid weather. And whilst none of the family are saying much all my kids have contacted me today to urge caution, only the middle daughter actually said what they were all thinking which was "Dad this is the ideal scenario for you to end up in hospital. Just promise me you won't be a macho, ego driven d1ck".

So for now it's still on and whilst it's on I'm giving it my all. Until I catch you all on the other side, live, love, laugh, stay safe, stay sane.

• Options
    Ok, here it is.

I dropped at mile 7 after an Angina episode. Everything went ok, the GTN spray did what it was supposed to do and the organisers sent a paramedic to assess but despite the ECG confirming it was only a mild case of Angina, that was my event done then and there.

To be fair to myself I really should have quit earlier, it was stupidly hot and humid with no breeze and there were many others stricken with exhaustion, dehydration and heat related conditions. However, I really wanted to try and complete but when the body says no then it's no.

Could I have mitigated the situation?. Well yes going through the first 2 miles in 40 minutes instead of my usual 1.5 mph pace pretty much doomed me from that point. I wasn't trying to prove anything I was just walking at the pace of the others in the group, sadly though by the time we got to Braodsand Bay at about mile 3 it was evident that I had gone off way too fast. After that I was just a DNF waiting to happen.

So in retrospect I am glad I took this on although the tears flowed when I realised I was done, disappointment, self incrimination and just a desperate sense of failure permeates everything.

However, on a more positive note I exceeded my fundraising target and Trek26 Devon raised over £300,000 whilst the 10 events nationally in 2023 have raised £3,500,000 for Dementia research. Everybody who walked a mile or gave a quid is a bally hero.

So what next?. well I turn 60 next month Oct 6th so just a little gym work until Monday the 9th when I am embarking upon a 10 week personal challenge to burn 6,000 calories a day whilst only consuming my BMR calories about 2,200.

Thank you to everybody who has supported, commented, donated and even just read my ramblings, you do inspire, motivate and encourage me to reach out and try to grasp it all.

God bless and goodnight.

Mark.

• Options

Sad, but better to have tried & failed, eh?
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,001
    Tikay10 said:

Sad, but better to have tried & failed, eh?

If at first you don't succeed
    Pull the spider's legs off.

Robert the Brutal.
  • Options
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:
    Absolute respect for the guy.