You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Judges ordered not to jail burglars and rapists due to crowded prisons – report

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,547
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,112
    As per usual, this Government is all sizzle and no steak.

Yes, you can increase sentences for certain offences.
    Yes, you can decrease the time off for good behaviour
    Yes, you can tighten up the guidelines to ensure twice as many people are in Prison on Remand before Trial.

But if you don't spend any money building/improving prisons, and you don't reduce sentences for less serious crimes, then this is what happens.

This isn't Judges being asked not to send Criminals to Jail. It's asking Judges to delay sentencing while they desperately try and find a jail with space to put them in.

And, as per usual the more thick tabloids, with the more thick and gullible readers, try and pretend this is the fault of anyone but the Government.
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,785
    Essexphil said:

Yes, you can tighten up the guidelines to ensure twice as many people are in Prison on Remand before Trial.

But if you don't spend any money building/improving prisons, and you don't reduce sentences for less serious crimes, then this is what happens.

This isn't Judges being asked not to send Criminals to Jail. It's asking Judges to delay sentencing while they desperately try and find a jail with space to put them in.

And, as per usual the more thick tabloids, with the more thick and gullible readers, try and pretend this is the fault of anyone but the Government.

nice early morning rant there, i hope you had a coffee first ;P
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,292
    Essexphil said:

I would lay some of the blame at the feet of those committing the crimes. :)
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,320
    Enut said:

Essexphil said:

I would lay some of the blame at the feet of those committing the crimes. :)
    @Enut

Ha, ZING
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,231
    The countries goin to wrack and ruin.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,714
    well they could handle a lot of things differently. maybe if they legalized weed instead of trying to vilify it as an immoral act akin to rape they would not need to tie up the courts time with stupid cases punishing people for something they should not be punished for.

Further if legalized and regulated the criminal gangs lose a lot of revenue as a large number of their customer base now go to buy their weed from tescos or the off licence rather then from some dealer.

they call it a gateway drug but the only way it is a gateway drug is it puts people in touch with dealers who may try to peddle other stuff. Alcohol is much more of a gateway drug then cannabis its utter nonsense.

they wont legalize it because it is a threat to big pharma then you read nonsense from the media saying finding out your neighbours are smoking weed in their own home can be a cause of great anxiety. How I would feel much greater anxiety knowing my neighbours are regularly getting drunk then I would knowing they are having a spliff, Alcohol increases the likelihood people get violent cannabis does not.

instead of legalizing it they now want to class it as a class A and go to war on this point. If I did smoke the stuff and was caught with a spliff certain police members and governments would want me to get fined for everything I have and want to argue intent to supply and push for 14 years no parole.

Rape and burglary does not have an effect the Tories portfolios in their rich friends companies so they dont care they only care in the sense of votes and they just blame everything on labour anyway and it works. Legalizing weed would be a big threat to big pharma making money over here so is a massive deal that needs to be cracked down on.

The time they will want to lock up and crack down on rape and burglaries will only be when they have a lot of prisons run by private companies billing the working classes for this via tax and they themselves have invested large sums in it.

btw the fact that I think the Tories will win the next election does not mean I want them to. To be clear because some think I am routing for the Tories I want them to lose the next election. I just do not think they will.

• Options
    Tories 'party of law and order once again', Home Secretary Priti Patel says
    Priti Patel says the government is "coming after the thugs, gangs, and criminals who make law-abiding people's lives a misery"

Tuesday 1 October 2019 22:39, UK

The home secretary wants to equip up to 60% of police officers with Tasers

https://news.sky.com/story/we-are-coming-after-you-home-secretary-priti-patel-to-warn-criminals-11824598
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Doubleme said:

well they could handle a lot of things differently. maybe if they legalized weed instead of trying to vilify it as an immoral act akin to rape they would not need to tie up the courts time with stupid cases punishing people for something they should not be punished for.

Further if legalized and regulated the criminal gangs lose a lot of revenue as a large number of their customer base now go to buy their weed from tescos or the off licence rather then from some dealer.

they call it a gateway drug but the only way it is a gateway drug is it puts people in touch with dealers who may try to peddle other stuff. Alcohol is much more of a gateway drug then cannabis its utter nonsense.

they wont legalize it because it is a threat to big pharma then you read nonsense from the media saying finding out your neighbours are smoking weed in their own home can be a cause of great anxiety. How I would feel much greater anxiety knowing my neighbours are regularly getting drunk then I would knowing they are having a spliff, Alcohol increases the likelihood people get violent cannabis does not.

instead of legalizing it they now want to class it as a class A and go to war on this point. If I did smoke the stuff and was caught with a spliff certain police members and governments would want me to get fined for everything I have and want to argue intent to supply and push for 14 years no parole.

Rape and burglary does not have an effect the Tories portfolios in their rich friends companies so they dont care they only care in the sense of votes and they just blame everything on labour anyway and it works. Legalizing weed would be a big threat to big pharma making money over here so is a massive deal that needs to be cracked down on.

The time they will want to lock up and crack down on rape and burglaries will only be when they have a lot of prisons run by private companies billing the working classes for this via tax and they themselves have invested large sums in it.

btw the fact that I think the Tories will win the next election does not mean I want them to. To be clear because some think I am routing for the Tories I want them to lose the next election. I just do not think they will.

You are funny.
    Get a massive bet on them then.
    Do you know anyone that has been fined everything they have, and got 14 years in jail, for smoking a joint?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

You are funny.
    Do you know anyone that has been fined everything they have, and got 14 years in jail, for smoking a joint?
    I dont have the bankroll to put large bets down, but I may opt to put a bet down once the election is called their is no need to tie up money unnecessary I do not see the odds moving before the election is called Trump still had long odds against him when he had the election and he won.

I hope to be wrong on this one but at least if I am not I can take a profit from a bet and get a I told you so in on you.

With regards to weed I am not involved in the weed community I do know several people who have in the past smoked the stuff who it greatly helped. Though people have not really gone into detail with punishments when caught since I smell the stuff pretty much anywhere, I assume its not been cracked down upon in the way certain individuals in the police force and government would like.

I said if I smoked it and was caught certain police members and members of the government (I actually had mistype and said governments there but i assume people worked out what I meant) would want me to get 14 years with no parole and max fine.
    they would want that, it is not currently the most likely outcome though.

• Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,292
    I know a young lad who has just spent a year in prison after being convicted of possession with intend to supply. His downfall was starting to smoke week in the first place. You make it sound like there is no down side to smoking weed. There are many.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,283
    If you want @Doubleme come up to Stoke and I will take you on a night time tour and a day time wander.

We can speak to the hundreds of dust, ket, spice, mamba, smack, crank and acid heads and hear how they all started on weed.

Or I could arrange for us to speak to some of the most paranoid people with mental health issues and they can tell you about how weed got them into the vicious spiral.

It's such an epidemic up here the City is known as the Monkey Dust Capital of Europe.

30 years ago it was known as Smoke on Trent because it was all weed, weed and more weed.

I'm not saying don't smoke it, back in the day I've toked on a massive bifter the size of a Camberwell Carrot. But don't be preaching there's no down side.
  • Options
    Doubleme said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

You are funny.
    I dont have the bankroll to put large bets down, but I may opt to put a bet down once the election is called their is no need to tie up money unnecessary I do not see the odds moving before the election is called Trump still had long odds against him when he had the election and he won.

2.75/1 is not long odds.

I hope to be wrong on this one but at least if I am not I can take a profit from a bet and get a I told you so in on you.

You are difficult to get through to on times.
    What I am saying is that Labour are 20 points clear in the polls.
    If there was an election tomorrow the Tories would be toast.
    For them to win they would have to become more popular between now and the election.
    As their popularity increased, their odds would drop.
    If their popularity doesnt increase the odds will stay the same and they will lose.

You are confident that the Tories will win, because you keep saying it on numerous threads.
    I am making no predictions, but if you wanted to bet on the Tories, now would probably be the best time.
    As I said earlier, I would rather drop my money down a drain, than bet on them.

With regards to weed I am not involved in the weed community I do know several people who have in the past smoked the stuff who it greatly helped. Though people have not really gone into detail with punishments when caught since I smell the stuff pretty much anywhere, I assume its not been cracked down upon in the way certain individuals in the police force and government would like.

I said if I smoked it and was caught certain police members and members of the government (I actually had mistype and said governments there but i assume people worked out what I meant) would want me to get 14 years with no parole and max fine.
    they would want that, it is not currently the most likely outcome though.

I believe the maximum sentence for possession of cannabis is 5 years.
    Although you would be unlikely to get that for a first offence.
    In fact you would be very unlikely to get any jail for a first offence.

• Options

If you want @Doubleme come up to Stoke and I will take you on a night time tour and a day time wander.

We can speak to the hundreds of dust, ket, spice, mamba, smack, crank and acid heads and hear how they all started on weed.

Or I could arrange for us to speak to some of the most paranoid people with mental health issues and they can tell you about how weed got them into the vicious spiral.

It's such an epidemic up here the City is known as the Monkey Dust Capital of Europe.

30 years ago it was known as Smoke on Trent because it was all weed, weed and more weed.

I'm not saying don't smoke it, back in the day I've toked on a massive bifter the size of a Camberwell Carrot. But don't be preaching there's no down side.

i dont recall saying there is no downside to smoking weed, people seem to think i did maybe i mistyped somewhere.

So to be clear yes there is are downsides. There are also downsides to consuming too much sugar or caffeine, people have died from drinking to many energy drinks.

I think you would have a hard time arguing that weed is more harmful then alcohol though.

I have seen people with disabilities really be helped by weed. I cannot say the same for alcohol.

• Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 529
    I know three conspiracy theorists and all three have smoke weed for 20+ years. One of which can no longer leave the house most days of the week.

I don't know if weed and conspiracy theorists is a well-known correlation, but what comes first is the interesting part to me. Maybe smoking weed lead to believing conspiracy theories? Or perhaps people attracted to weed are more pre-disposed to believing conspiracy theories?
  • Options
    PaintedOnePaintedOne Member Posts: 236
    Bean81 said:

I know three conspiracy theorists and all three have smoke weed for 20+ years. One of which can no longer leave the house most days of the week.

I don't know if weed and conspiracy theorists is a well-known correlation, but what comes first is the interesting part to me. Maybe smoking weed lead to believing conspiracy theories? Or perhaps people attracted to weed are more pre-disposed to believing conspiracy theories?

interesting one bean , on a personal level i started to realise things were not right in life around the age of 13 , and i went on to start smoking cannabis at 16 so perhaps your second one is a slight favourite. i will add that since convid started and the "conspiracy theorists " grew from 500 to 5 million in the uk i would say its probably about half and half the ones that smoke and not , maybe in the favour of the ones that don't , that's not to say they never have. i feel the word conspiracy theorist is just to banded about now just so its easy to target people with it , you don't even have to engage in conversation , you just get to throw words about.
    i obviously when younger realised the moon landing was false , and the nixon phone call lmao , and then obviously the twin towers, but never really understood how deep and dark it truly was , but my mind has been opened fully since convid struck and i didn't need any cannabis to help me with it lol .
  • Options
    PaintedOnePaintedOne Member Posts: 236

Bean81 said:

interesting one bean , on a personal level i started to realise things were not right in life around the age of 13 , and i went on to start smoking cannabis at 16 so perhaps your second one is a slight favourite. i will add that since convid started and the "conspiracy theorists " grew from 500 to 5 million in the uk i would say its probably about half and half the ones that smoke and not , maybe in the favour of the ones that don't , that's not to say they never have. i feel the word conspiracy theorist is just to banded about now just so its easy to target people with it , you don't even have to engage in conversation , you just get to throw words about.
    i obviously when younger realised the moon landing was false , and the nixon phone call lmao , and then obviously the twin towers, but never really understood how deep and dark it truly was , but my mind has been opened fully since convid struck and i didn't need any cannabis to help me with it lol .
    actually bean ,thinking about it i would say its more 7 to 8 out of ten don't smoke as most of the people are in their 50s to 70s but like i say doesn't mean they didn't partake at a younger age , i personally meat up with a good hundred regularly and probably only about 10 partake. the eldest who died recently was over a hundred years old when he died 102 i think or very nearly , but i remember celebrating his one hundredth birthday with well over a million others in London during our unmentioned protest back in 2021 where we were all hugging and not social distancing , weird how very few of us got sick but hey ho lol
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 529
    I didn't bother checking if this article was peer reviewed, but you might be interested in reading this, paintedone:
    https://blogs.chapman.edu/wilkinson/2016/10/11/what-arent-they-telling-us/
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,730

Bean81 said:

Hi @PaintedOne

Interesting about fake moon landing, could you explain why a Country would want to do so, and why Russia who were in the Space Race with them doesn’t provide any evidence of it being fake, they aren’t exactly buddies.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,657
    People will never accept and will never open their mind to the good that cannabis has on humans and i feel that's sad
    There are reams and ream of evidence to say so but most people are too blinkered to look for themselves and i agree with @Doubleme regarding alcohol, tobacco , suger ect and the big pharma
    There's a reason why half of the USA and other countries are opening up to cannabis , collecting taxes and reducing crime rate are two examples why , not to mention the medicinal properties
    Open your minds folks it's an eye opener