You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Football Thread.

Comments

• Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,034
    Tikay10 said:

@lucy4

Rodney Marsh was such a character, highly skilled with the ball too, spent most of his career with QPR.

Two other huge names in that 'photo if I'm not mistaken, Pele, & Liverpool's Tommy Smith?

Yea just checked it was Tommy Smith, but would Marshy have done that if Smith was playing for the other side, I don't think RM would've got up off the ground if he was.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,319
    lucy4 said:

Tikay10 said:

@lucy4

Rodney Marsh was such a character, highly skilled with the ball too, spent most of his career with QPR.

Two other huge names in that 'photo if I'm not mistaken, Pele, & Liverpool's Tommy Smith?

Yea just checked it was Tommy Smith, but would Marshy have done that if Smith was playing for the other side, I don't think RM would've got up off the ground if he was.
    @lucy4

Ha, 100% correct. Nobody messed with Tommy Smith. Proper, old-fashioned centre forward. When he played, the opposition's centre-half knew he had a tough afternoon in prospect.

Tackles would be ferocious, & in those days, players did not feign injury or try to get the opponent sent off. They might give them a right-hander though...

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,001
    Rodney Marsh was not just a show pony. On top of his considerable skill, he refused to be intimidated, and would regularly lash out at those who fouled him.

Quick gag from his Wiki page, which would be part of the reason for so few England caps.

It has been reported that the England manager Alf Ramsey told him "I'll be watching you for the first 45 minutes and if you don't work harder I'll pull you off at half time," to which Marsh replied: "Crikey, Alf, at QPR all we get is an orange and a cup of tea."
  • Options

Ha, I used to SO love Marshy, in fact I'd go to Loftus Road just to watch him. If my memory has not failed me, Terry Venables was in the QPR team at the same time I think?
  • Options
    edited March 1
    Tikay10 said:

Ha, I used to SO love Marshy, in fact I'd go to Loftus Road just to watch him. If my memory has not failed me, Terry Venables was in the QPR team at the same time I think?

Totally agree. What a talent. Did play in the same team as El Tel for a while. And unfairly placed in the Stan Bowles/Tony Currie group who never properly harnessed their undoubted talent.

As a youth, he played in the same team as "Chopper" Harris ;)

When he went to the US, someone called him the "White Pele". To which he replied-"No. Pele is the Black Marsh."
  • Options
    edited March 1
    Meanwhile in today's football...

Erik ten Hag tells Fulham to apologise to Bruno Fernandes after mocking him for trying to get the ref’s attention in a TikTok video.

The Man Utd manager has criticised Fulham’s actions as inappropriate and has requested an apology from for the way they decided to take the mick out of Bruno Fernandes via social media.

Additionally, ten Hag also decided to urge referees to provide Fernandes with greater protection, as he believes that opposing players deliberately target his captain and playmaker.

This week saw Fulham take to their official TikTok account, highlighting Fernandes’ alleged play-acting, following their remarkable 2-1 victory over United last weekend.

The video shows Fernandes falling to the ground towards the end of the game, with the score at 1-1, following a tackle from Fulham midfielder Sasa Lukic.

After his fall, Fernandes tried to get a reaction from the referee, waving his arm in an attempt to signal for a free-kick 25 yards away from the Fulham goal.

Despite his appeals ignored, Fernandes quickly gets up and requests the ball, indicating a swift recuperation from the challenge.

Fulham captioned the clip of Fernandes as “So glad he’s ok” with an eye-rolling emoji, and also set to comical music…

Ten Hag said the social media criticism of Fernandes was “pathetic” following his side’s win at Forest and said Fulham should issue a formal apology to him and United.

He said: “I didn’t know this, but if they did it, I would say it is not right. It is absolutely not right that a club makes such a statement, because it is totally out of order and wrong and they should apologise for this.
  • Options

Well done Fulham, more of the same please.

Bruno's actions are indefensible.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Probably part of the game now. I will-just about-defend the likes of Bruno. I think all clubs have a similar player.

Whereas Ten Hag is managing to plumb new depths...
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,524
    Tikay10 said:

The other Bruno stayed on his feet better while getting punched repeatably by Tyson back in the day. Yeah, I hope Fulham dont apologise and carry on regardless. A bit shocked that Roy Keane hasnt waded in too.
  • Options

Oh yes, all clubs have a Bruno, but that's all the more reason to stamp it out. "big name" players start it, the rest follow.

Feigning injury is such a big part of the game now. It's a little insulting that they think we don't know. I mean, they ain't ever going to win any Oscars.

Here's a handy hint to Premier League footballers. If someone has just broken your ankle or cracked your kneecap, you do NOT roll over 6 times & start smacking the grass like a 2 year old having a tantrum - you lay stock still.

Ten Hag? His days are surely numbered. Once Brailsford & Co get their feet under the desk, he'll be down the road.
  • Options
    edited March 5
  • Options
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,495
    There could be shortage of Referees what with " Whistle Blowers " being found Dead.
  • Options
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,578
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    lucy4 said:

A European super league whoda thunk :s
  • Options
    "Won't be the Champions League anymore"?

At least next season there will actually be a League of sorts. Until it reverts to a Cup competition.

But still won't be much to do with "Champions". For example, this year's English teams, and when they were last actually Champions.

Man City 2023
    Man Utd 2013
    Arsenal 2004
    Newcastle 1927.

1927!! That last 1 makes Aston Villa (1981) and even Spurs (1961) look recent...
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,026
    It'll all be on the Metaverse soon
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,055
    edited March 15
    Sir Alex Ferguson’s Cheltenham Festival-winning horse empire
    Scotsman hailed his ‘greatest day in racing’ as his long wait to own a winner at the Festival ended

Sir Alex Ferguson (right), owner of Monmiral celebrates after winning the Pertemps Handicup Hurdle at Cheltenham CREDIT: Getty Images/David Fitzgerald

Sir Alex Ferguson enjoyed not one but two winners alongside co-owners John Hales at Cheltenham

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/racing/2024/03/14/alex-ferguson-cheltenham-festival-winning-horse-empire/

Footage shows Sir Alex Ferguson jumping with joy as he lands two Cheltenham winners in a row

Ferguson celebrated in style as Monmiral crossed the finishing line in first, alongside Allardyce

Fergie was over the moon as two of his horses landed victory

https://talksport.com/sport/racing/1789457/sir-alex-ferguson-horse-winner-odds-cheltenham-festival-monmiral/
  • Options
    Alex Ferguson, Big Sam and Tyrone from Coronation Street celebrate at Cheltenham 👏🏽🐎🏆

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzaY-3u0vgU