You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

A little advice please - UPDATE

TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,597
edited May 26 in Poker Chat
So last night I managed to use a $0.50 ticket to freeroll my way via 4 satellites into the $109 Main Event $2M Gtd 4 day event on Stars.

Having never played any comp above $20, what can I expect as regards standard of play. I note that it's 20 minute levels, 25,000 starting stack and the blinds start at 50/100 with an 8 ante. There is also up to 5 rebuys available during the late reg period.

I know that many of you have played these tourneys before and therefore a little advice would be appreciated. I have no expectations, I just don't want to look a total prat.

Comments

• TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,597
    Thanks for that. I shall certainly try to implement the advice.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,519
    Watch the others at the table. Start by working out who is the tightest and loosest at the table.

Play tight yourself-at least until people have you tagged as the tightest at the table.

You've already got the best advice-enjoy it
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,768
    Just go donk crazy you have 5 rebuys available ;)
    Well played Mark and enjoy
    stokefc said:

Just go donk crazy you have 5 rebuys available ;)
    Well played Mark and enjoy

I wish Sean.
    It would be nice to win another ticket as a back up for when that runner runner bad beat sends me to the rail.
  • diamondleediamondlee Member Posts: 77
    waller02 said:

Drink

Phew, Thought I was the only one lol
  • Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 578
    The standard in these big events like the Sunday Million is always lower than average. They play nore like a £5 mtt on Sky, so you should play the same way you would normally.

What's your goal here? Would a min cash matter or do you want to go for it? Tight is definitely right and even more so if you want to min cash.

Mtt strat hasn't really changed that much in 15 years. Wait for somebody to give their stack away in the early levels, then look to gamble in good spots later on.

If you are an experienced cash game player, you will def want to be in the mix from the first hand to use your deep stack advantage. Otherwise, you could consider late regging.

• rancidrancid Member Posts: 5,945
    Don't overthink it, just play your game the best you can...
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,975
    the problem is you cant do a training montarge and transform your game in two or three days if you know a particular weak spot in your game like say hypothetically you feel weak playing in the big blind you could watch a few videos from training sites or freebie stuff on youtube if you can find it.

However your not going to transform your game in a major significant way in a very short term.
  • Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 578
    Good choice in snacks. The booze and **** need a rethink.
    Thanks for all the advice guys. As I am freerolled into this I just want to enjoy it and get as much fun for my time as possible. The one thing I don't want is to be the sucker at the table and I think if I just play it like a £5 deepstack I should avoid that.

We will see.
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,975

Thanks for all the advice guys. As I am freerolled into this I just want to enjoy it and get as much fun for my time as possible. The one thing I don't want is to be the sucker at the table and I think if I just play it like a £5 deepstack I should avoid that.

We will see.

so not trying to be harsh but based on your scope reading, 57 is a bit weak and I am not trying to be nasty so dont take it that way but this does imply that you are a losing player.

and again not meaning to be harsh but based on the play I have seen from you when at your table and forum posts you are a losing player.

I do not think it will be different in this tourny but anyone can get lucky its often the case that deep in tournies there are weak players. I mean I think it was Darvin Moon who came second in the world series.

Doubleme said:

We will see.

so not trying to be harsh but based on your scope reading, 57 is a bit weak and I am not trying to be nasty so dont take it that way but this does imply that you are a losing player.

and again not meaning to be harsh but based on the play I have seen from you when at your table and forum posts you are a losing player.

I do not think it will be different in this tourny but anyone can get lucky its often the case that deep in tournies there are weak players. I mean I think it was Darvin Moon who came second in the world series.

Not taking it the wrong way at all you are quite correct in your observations. However I would point out that I rarely min cash, if I cash at all it's usually at the top end of the payout.

So yes I lost about £500 on here in 18 months then bagged a 4th place in a UKOPS mini for £800, that's how I roll.

• JammyFkerJammyFker Member Posts: 357
    Doubleme said:

We will see.

Id love for someone who posts so frequently to show some positivity, I do not know u long but u really would rub someone up the wrong way. Ur approach is always the negative and opposite view, I think u are a young man so u have plenty of time to change. Try and help, instead - trust me it will work wonders in your all round day.

What comes to mind to me, my grandfather and my father always told me - it is not hard to carry manners - I have failed this for many many years. I now know how this is so easy and 100% correct. I am not religious by any means, but was brought up catholic and can always remember this statement - Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? I carried this around for years, again in later years I hope I have started seeing the true meaning.

I wish you well @Doubleme but I hope u can start to see, we are not always right :#
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,429
    Jac35 said:

waller02 said:

Drink

Concur

My nightly set up for a session at the thrill a minutes dyms

To be fair that's also the same set up you have for an MTT session, a night in front of the TV, date night with the wife or even just taking the dog for a walk. :D
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,519
    Enut said:

Jac35 said:

waller02 said:

Drink

Concur

My nightly set up for a session at the thrill a minutes dyms

To be fair that's also the same set up you have for an MTT session, a night in front of the TV, date night with the wife or even just taking the dog for a walk. :D
    Rookie error.

Never open a "grab bag" when on a date night with the wife.

Unless you are willing to share the crisps. Much better to open and eat them without being caught :)
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,226
    JammyFker said:

Doubleme said:

We will see.

Id love for someone who posts so frequently to show some positivity, I do not know u long but u really would rub someone up the wrong way. Ur approach is always the negative and opposite view, I think u are a young man so u have plenty of time to change. Try and help, instead - trust me it will work wonders in your all round day.

What comes to mind to me, my grandfather and my father always told me - it is not hard to carry manners - I have failed this for many many years. I now know how this is so easy and 100% correct. I am not religious by any means, but was brought up catholic and can always remember this statement - Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? I carried this around for years, again in later years I hope I have started seeing the true meaning.

I wish you well @Doubleme but I hope u can start to see, we are not always right :#
    @JammyFker

Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

Wow, that is SO good, & very apposite on a poker forum. We are all good at seeing the faults in others but very often blind to our own shortcomings.