You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Tough decision?

2»

Comments

• Options
    meatOmeatO Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2010

WITH LESS THEN 10 BB LEFT IM CALLING ALL DAY LONG NOT GOING TO GET MUCH BETTER SITUATIONS TO DBL UP, AS FOR JUST TRYING TO BEAT THE BUBBLE IM AIMING FOR THE WIN NOT JUST TO CASH.

• Options
    Mr_MiyagiMr_Miyagi Member Posts: 2,031
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Tough decision?:
    In Response to Re: Tough decision? : I take it you cashed then went on to win the tourny.
    Posted by Strat91
    I got KK next hand and managed to get up to 3.4 chips because of antes and the small blind shoving with QJ. Won the next hand with 94 after the flop had two 9's on but then I crashed out with J3.
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited May 2010
    The decision is not whether to call or not because normally this is a snap call.
    The decision is to do with cashing being a 20% BR increase. Can you afford to pass up that opportunity?
  • Options
    MohicanMohican Member Posts: 1,421
    edited May 2010
    The decision is not whether to call or not because normally this is a snap call. The decision is to do with cashing being a 20% BR increase. Can you afford to pass up that opportunity?
    Posted by BlackFish3
    If he folds a few things can happen:
    1)The blinds fold and he picks up the antes and blinds's
    2)He's called and double's up
    3)He's called and loses and bubble bursts.

So by folding he's only gonna ladder up 33% of the time.He's then still got less than 10bb's and looking for a hand to shove with and he'll probably end up doing it with worse than J J.Still gotta call. It would be a different matter if he had 15-20 bb's.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Tough decision? : If he folds a few things can happen: 1)The blinds fold and he picks up the antes and blinds's 2)He's called and double's up 3)He's called and loses and bubble bursts. So by folding he's only gonna ladder up 33% of the time.He's then still got less than 10bb's and looking for a hand to shove with and he'll probably end up doing it with worse than J J.Still gotta call. It would be a different matter if he had 15-20 bb's.
    Posted by Mohican
    OK obviously any normal situation this is a snap fist pump call and is standard. But does the 20% increase to BR by cashing affect anything? That is the real question being asked here.
  • Options
    Strat91Strat91 Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Tough decision? : OK obviously any normal situation this is a snap fist pump call and is standard. But does the 20% increase to BR by cashing affect anything? That is the real question being asked here.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Some people are just looking at the situation of the cards. They dont understand how much a 20% bankroll increase is.
  • Options
    lynx3ffectlynx3ffect Member Posts: 452
    edited May 2010
    depends how much the 20% br increase means to you....

i'd happily fold there if i were u, still enuf bb left to find a spot to shove ur money in first once u cashed

thinking poker terms, u are most likely ahead of his range but u'll kill urself if u lose. level urself into timing out so u never got to play it :P
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Cashing in a tournament is a hard thing to do and full of tough decisions. 20% of a bankroll, whether it's 100,1000 or 10,000 pounds is still 20%, so everyone knows the value of a 20% increase.
    You are letting the fear of bubbling blind you to the correct play when being short stacked. What hand are you looking for to call in this spot? AA or KK? Would QQ be in the muck as well?Even with 15-20 bb's I'd be looking to take him on with JJ,
    To call him is a tough decision, but it's one you have to make in this scenario.if you fold and he's not called or he double's up(especially with a hand you had beat) you are gonna have to make another tough decision by the time blinds get to you. You are losing fold equity with every hand. If you let the blinds go through you again, you are gonna get called light by a big stack when you do find a hand Even if you do double up, you've only gonna have just over 10 bb's again and will be facing another tough decision.
     There's no shame in bubbling,every player does it(last night I bubbled after nearly three hours play) but the correct play in this scenario(IMO) is to call. It's a tough decision but they have to be made. I actually think by calling you are giving yourself the best chance of cashing.
    Now be a good lad and tell us what happened.
  • Options
    BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
    edited May 2010
    In Response to Re: Tough decision? : Some people are just looking at the situation of the cards. They dont understand how much a 20% bankroll increase is.
    Posted by Strat91
    for me its a fold im not calling with jj in this situation especially as i migh be going into a 3 or 4 horse race. the 20% increase in br is important it enables you to enter more mtt and therefore increase you chances of futher increasing you br. as you say the shover is a solid player i cant see him shoving in this position with total air.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Cashing in a tournament is a hard thing to do and full of tough decisions. 20% of a bankroll, whether it's 100,1000 or 10,000 pounds is still 20%, so everyone knows the value of a 20% increase. You are letting the fear of bubbling blind you to the correct play when being short stacked. What hand are you looking for to call in this spot? AA or KK? Would QQ be in the muck as well?Even with 15-20 bb's I'd be looking to take him on with JJ, To call him is a tough decision, but it's one you have to make in this scenario.if you fold and he's not called or he double's up(especially with a hand you had beat) you are gonna have to make another tough decision by the time blinds get to you. You are losing fold equity with every hand. If you let the blinds go through you again, you are gonna get called light by a big stack when you do find a hand Even if you do double up, you've only gonna have just over 10 bb's again and will be facing another tough decision.  There's no shame in bubbling,every player does it(last night I bubbled after nearly three hours play) but the correct play in this scenario(IMO) is to call. It's a tough decision but they have to be made. I actually think by calling you are giving yourself the best chance of cashing. Now be a good lad and tell us what happened.
    Posted by Mohican
    Yes normal circumstances it is a call for me... but it's not about this or decisions later on, if cashing is a 20% bankroll increase then you do not care really where you finish as long as you cash. So I dont think we need to go for the win in this tournament, so if we have cashed and have only 1 chip left then I think that's fine if it is a 20% bankroll increase. So just shove first and fold almost every hand.
  • Options
    bigflop1bigflop1 Member Posts: 1,034
    edited May 2010
    personally i fold.. i rather push with them than call

what did you do??
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The outcome: Folded and cashed. Busted out 49th. 
  • Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited May 2010
    was this a 6 handed or 10 handed table?

10 handed i fold, cos im gtd to cash

6 handed i prob call but like penguin says it depends on the opponant
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well done for cashing. Was he called by either of the blinds? If so, what hand did he have?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well done for cashing. Was he called by either of the blinds? If so, what hand did he have?
    Posted by Mohican
    He took the blinds down.
  • Options
    cottladcottlad Member Posts: 439
    edited May 2010
    reminds me of a spot i was in in a GUKPT main event last year.
    1 left to the money (£2.4k iirc) and i'm a very shortstack on the button with QQ.

UTG+1 raises (he has been taking advantage of the bubble and is raising 50% hands)
    C/O 3bets to about what i have left (he's a well respected tightish player.)

I had paid absolutely nothing to get into the tournament and was freerolling.
    Call and increase stack by about 150% or fold and pray you cash?
    Add to this the other tables all crowding around when they saw me tank...... yukyukyuk lololol

I ended up reluctantly mucking as i didn't like the thought of original raiser flatting then checking down 3way with QQ and leaving with only the bubble in my pocket. 

I folded and cashed and Dave Maudlin (3bettor) later told me he had TT.  I know technically it's a bad fold and if i were in the same situation again i snap it off.  The £2k+ cash from a freeroll at the time though was quite a big deal for me.

If however i'd paid myself into this event i would have been fistpump shoving all day long.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    reminds me of a spot i was in in a GUKPT main event last year. 1 left to the money (£2.4k iirc) and i'm a very shortstack on the button with QQ. UTG+1 raises (he has been taking advantage of the bubble and is raising 50% hands) C/O 3bets to about what i have left (he's a well respected tightish player.) I had paid absolutely nothing to get into the tournament and was freerolling. Call and increase stack by about 150% or fold and pray you cash? Add to this the other tables all crowding around when they saw me tank...... yukyukyuk lololol I ended up reluctantly mucking as i didn't like the thought of original raiser flatting then checking down 3way with QQ and leaving with only the bubble in my pocket.  I folded and cashed and Dave Maudlin (3bettor) later told me he had TT.  I know technically it's a bad fold and if i were in the same situation again i snap it off.  The £2k+ cash from a freeroll at the time though was quite a big deal for me. If however i'd paid myself into this event i would have been fistpump shoving all day long.
    Posted by cottlad
    I really think this sums everything up perfectly... if it's within your roll to play then fist pump call, but if not then I think folding it out to scrape into the cash is fine if it is a significant amount of money.