You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Really unusual spot - what would YOU do?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,319
    edited February 2014

What did I do?

I was totally confused & befuddled, as this has so many sides to it.

Knowing what he had changed everything, & I was also conscious of the 2 other players who did not have the same info as me.

I also knew that if I bet out, we would get the lot in, he was never folding top set. Equally, the guys behind may come along too, not being aware of what I knew, so I'd get "bonus" value in an improper manner.

I considered, strongly, telling the Dealer I had accidentally seen the guys cards, & let him decide, or calling "FLOOR" for a Ruling.

I dwelt for an age, which I never do, as I could not really decide the correct course of action. If I played & won the hand, I'd end up feeling terrible, especially if I went on to cash.

Eventually, I felt the best course of action was to just let the hand go. Saves so much hassle & furrowing of brows, & battles with my conscience.

So I checked, my man bet, & the 2 guys behind both called. When it got back to me, I folded.

I never said anything to anyone, I don't want to get involved in bad blood & stuff when I play poker, but I was pretty cross with the guy, as it was completely his fault. My grumpyness may have been enhanced because my hand would have won, & I'd have trebled up, but I'm glad I folded, it was the least of all evils.  

There was no point me discussing it with the geezer, he was quite old, & you know how stubborn old people can be. I did just say to him "please don't hold your cards up", but he looked at me gone out, think he was hard of hearing. And hard of seeing....

These things just happen in Live poker, praise be not Online though.    

• Options
    staplegunstaplegun Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Really unusual spot - what would YOU do?:
    What did I do? I was totally confused & befuddled, as this has so many sides to it. Knowing what he had changed everything, & I was also conscious of the 2 other players who did not have the same info as me. I also knew that if I bet out, we would get the lot in, he was never folding top set. Equally, the guys behind may come along too, not being aware of what I knew, so I'd get "bonus" value in an improper manner.   I considered, strongly, telling the Dealer I had accidentally seen the guys cards, & let him decide, or calling "FLOOR" for a Ruling. I dwelt for an age, which I never do, as I could not really decide the correct course of action. If I played & won the hand, I'd end up feeling terrible, especially if I went on to cash. Eventually, I felt the best course of action was to just let the hand go. Saves so much hassle & furrowing of brows, & battles with my conscience. So I checked, my man bet, & the 2 guys behind both called. When it got back to me, I folded. I never said anything to anyone, I don't want to get involved in bad blood & stuff when I play poker, but I was pretty cross with the guy, as it was completely his fault. My grumpyness may have been enhanced because my hand would have won, & I'd have trebled up, but I'm glad I folded, it was the least of all evils.   There was no point me discussing it with the geezer, he was quite old, & you know how stubborn old people can be. I did just say to him "please don't hold your cards up", but he looked at me gone out, think he was hard of hearing. And hard of seeing.... These things just happen in Live poker, praise be not Online though.       
    Posted by Tikay10

Tikay. Hats off to you! Not sure the guy deserved such gentlemanly conduct TBH.
  • Options
    chicknMeltchicknMelt Member Posts: 1,159
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Really unusual spot - what would YOU do?:
    What did I do? I was totally confused & befuddled, as this has so many sides to it. Knowing what he had changed everything, & I was also conscious of the 2 other players who did not have the same info as me. I also knew that if I bet out, we would get the lot in, he was never folding top set. Equally, the guys behind may come along too, not being aware of what I knew, so I'd get "bonus" value in an improper manner.   I considered, strongly, telling the Dealer I had accidentally seen the guys cards, & let him decide, or calling "FLOOR" for a Ruling. I dwelt for an age, which I never do, as I could not really decide the correct course of action. If I played & won the hand, I'd end up feeling terrible, especially if I went on to cash. Eventually, I felt the best course of action was to just let the hand go. Saves so much hassle & furrowing of brows, & battles with my conscience. So I checked, my man bet, & the 2 guys behind both called. When it got back to me, I folded. I never said anything to anyone, I don't want to get involved in bad blood & stuff when I play poker, but I was pretty cross with the guy, as it was completely his fault. My grumpyness may have been enhanced because my hand would have won, & I'd have trebled up, but I'm glad I folded, it was the least of all evils.   There was no point me discussing it with the geezer, he was quite old, & you know how stubborn old people can be. I did just say to him "please don't hold your cards up", but he looked at me gone out, think he was hard of hearing. And hard of seeing.... These things just happen in Live poker, praise be not Online though.       
    Posted by Tikay10

Not sure I could have folded - you are a better man than I! you effectively gave away money so that you didnt take other peoples money unfairly.

thinking about it, whilst still in the hand, i would probably just tell the player to keep his cards down - which would alert the dealer and other players to the possibility that you have seen his cards. If they then ask, I would tell th truth, that I had seen them...and if they didnt I'd just play the hand. The fact that you know the hole cards of players A doesnt really effect players B and C all that much, your advantage over them is relatively small... the big advantage is against player A, and they are the ones at fault.

seems pretty unfair that you lost out on a treble up just because you didnt want to be unfair on anyone else! It wasn't your fault, so why should you lose out? 

• Options
    edited February 2014

Honestly, I was totally flummoxed at the time, & had no idea what the best course of action.

After dithering for an age, I did my usual trick of doing nothing, I sort of kopped out & just folded.

I think the reply by Melty is excellent, incidentally, & was probably the best course of action.

It is quite amazing, the "knock-on" when one player at a table does something improper.

• Options
    edited February 2014

Talking of "amazing things" that can go wrong when a player acts improperly, even though it is accidental.....

Just shy of the money in a big Live Tourney, it was me to act, & I was trying to decide how much to raise.

Whilst I was dwelling - with my cards in front of me, fully visible.....the guy to my left mucked his hand out of turn, as he was busting to go to the loo.

The domino reaction then ensued, & the guy behind HIM then insta-mucked, as he thought it was him to act, as the guy to his right had clearly folded, & got up to leave.

"Whoa, hold up" I say, & the Dealer then notices.

Floor come scurrying across, & a Ruling was made - my hand was declared "dead" because action had taken place in 2 spots behind me, & I had not alerted the Dealer fast enough. 

The Ruling WAS correct, though I thought it was a really harsh one, as I had done nothing wrong, & been punished for mistakes by others. Strange game, this Live poker, eh?