You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Is my alias offensive?

Comments

• FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 832
    edited April 2016
    I've found that any 'abuse' on the tables generally happens on the lower stake tables.
    I find being insulted more funny than offensive. Just the other night I was in a tournament and was told by the opponent i was an awful poker player. He said that whilst my play was 'brave' ( I c-bet Ace Jack on a 3 7 9 flop)  that I would never hope to make any profit playing poker.
    There is definitely a line though, to personally attack someone based on where they live is much different to calling someone a donk or something imo. I've had it where people have criticised where I live and whilst It hasn't offended me, I can see why it could offend others.

• mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,849
    edited November 2017
    An existing screen name -

Omgffsgfy

Really.
  • BlackpumaBlackpuma Member Posts: 203
    Lol, Fistingjesus is pretty bad but not on this site
  • TheMadMonkTheMadMonk Member Posts: 295
    edited November 2017
    Worst abuse I ever got was on stars,table full of yanks (mostly from new york) and me the only scot,about 2 hours of being called a drunk a wife beater and every other stereotype you can think off,finally I replied (and received the only chat ban I have ever had on online poker site)
    They wanted to lynch me at the time :D

My online alias on some sites is ulggnowfo
  • safc71safc71 Member Posts: 1,542
    No matter where your from certain players will always give you abuse. I get some just because i support a rubbish football team or it could be because of my rubbish play :D.
    Find more of those nasty rat bags on NLH than PL08 but maybe that's because there is more money at stake and they are trying to wind you up.
  • Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,491
    safc71 said:

No matter where your from certain players will always give you abuse. I get some just because i support a rubbish football team or it could be because of my rubbish play :D.
    Find more of those nasty rat bags on NLH than PL08 but maybe that's because there is more money at stake and they are trying to wind you up.

I’d disagree a little with the last bit
    In my experience chat box abuse is at its worst at the lowest stakes and get better and better as you move up
  • safc71safc71 Member Posts: 1,542
    Jac35 said:

safc71 said:

In my experience chat box abuse is at its worst at the lowest stakes and get better and better as you move up
    Fair comment Jac i don't really play higher stakes much but just find it worse at NLH than PL08. Does day4eire play at lower stakes? i think players are just trying to wind him up but it does not matter what level it is nobody should have the right to give other players abuse. A lot of us are just trying to have a chill out game of poker after work.
  • Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,491
    safc71 said:

Jac35 said:

safc71 said:

Fair comment Jac i don't really play higher stakes much but just find it worse at NLH than PL08. Does day4eire play at lower stakes? i think players are just trying to wind him up but it does not matter what level it is nobody should have the right to give other players abuse. A lot of us are just trying to have a chill out game of poker after work.
    Agree with all of that :)

• TheMadMonkTheMadMonk Member Posts: 295
    When I first started playing online,getting abuse ,especially about my play used to get to me.
    Now it doesn't,I normally play now with chat turned off,and only turn it on if I outdraw/bingo someone so I can enjoy the abuse I get B)
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,621
    safc71 said:

Jac35 said:

safc71 said:

Love that, which so perfectly describes most of us.
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,360
    I have only seen abuse on here a couple of times it was late on a Fri/Sat night so likely drink was involved, one was to a guy from Luton, two tubes started on him as soon as he sat down, questioning his religion, was he born here all the usual racist ****, the guy shot them down but left after 10 minutes, I told them them were idiots next minute Im a "sweaty", "jock", slagging my eating and drinking habits, even slagging my Italian heritage ( Im as much an Italian as a roll in slice is), they obviously werent the brightest, I just typed hahahaha every time they tried to **** me, they soon shut up.
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,438
    Been called a muppet twice this morning already, Sunday morning abuse is so much more sedate.
  • bearacebearace Member Posts: 133
    IF I had a £1 for every time I have been called beararce ...I would have maybe £3.
  • DoyleBrunDoyleBrun Member Posts: 1,296
    Usually when I get abuse I check how much I have won in the last pot.......... unfortunately or fortunately I don't get a lot of abuse.
  • rainman215rainman215 Member Posts: 1,186
    Good evening all.
    I get abuse every day, to combat it i switch on my computer and play poker, and let the wife get on with the housework.
    All the best.
    Rainman215.
  • mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,849
    Nothing to see here.

• madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,400
    Clearly a local poker site for local people.....
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,897
    Bargain at that price.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,621
    edited March 2018
    Lordy.

When players create an alias like that, you have to wonder what they must be like in real life.

When we were in Primary School, & got our first look at a dictionary, we all went looking for naughty words - poo, bum, t its, f art, stuff like that. Fortunately, most of us grew out of that phase by the time we were about 6.
  • aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    Tikay10 said:

Lordy.

When players create an alias like that, you have to wonder what they must be like in real life.

When we were in Primary School, & got our first look at a dictionary, we all went looking for naughty words - poo, bum, t its, f art, stuff like that. Fortunately, most of us grew out of that phase by the time we were about 6.

tee-hee