You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Film/Television club - Reviews & recommendations

markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
I know there have been similar threads before (probably at least 1 created by me come to think of it), hopefully nobody minds me starting this new one.

I am not a 'big reader'. In fact, I have managed to negotiate my way through life, and a degree, without having ever actually read a 'proper book' from cover to cover in my entire life. I just learn and am engaged much more by alternate mediums (TV, videos & films etc) when learning or seeking entertainment.

So I thought I would create this thread and maybe we can post some reviews and recommendations of TV series and films to watch. I know there are places like IMDB etc for this kind of stuff but we all know what good taste poker players have so maybe this thread can 'hit the nail on the head' more effectively. If not it can disappear into the abyss of the interwebs.

I have a couple of recommendations in mind although I will probably post these tomorrow evening as it is rather late and I have a funeral to attend first thing in the morning.

In the mean time... if anyone wants to start us off then feel free :)

Comments

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    If you have Netflix then I can recommend Godless, a Netflix original western, just binge watched it over the hols.

In the past I enjoyed Braquo, think there are 4 series of it now, French with subtitles which may put some off. It's about a team of cops who cross the line to get results, various Parisien criminal gangs and an internal affairs cop who is after the team.

• Options
    Phantom66 said:

If you have Netflix then I can recommend Godless, a Netflix original western, just binge watched it over the hols.

In the past I enjoyed Braquo, think there are 4 series of it now, French with subtitles which may put some off. It's about a team of cops who cross the line to get results, various Parisien criminal gangs and an internal affairs cop who is after the team.

Yup I have Netflix and am searching for new things to watch so will give those a try. Thanks Phantom!

I don't mind the French with English subtitles aspect. I speak a little bit of Spanish and it helped my Spanish a bit when I watched 'Pablo Escobar, el patron del mal' which also had English subtitles. I have tried to dabble in the French language but am thoroughly awful so this might help to that end :)

P.S. I wouldn't particularly recommend the TV series I just mentioned. If that genre (South American drug cartels) is your thing though then I would recommend Narcos and El Chapo.
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    markycash said:

Phantom66 said:

Yup I have Netflix and am searching for new things to watch so will give those a try. Thanks Phantom!

I don't mind the French with English subtitles aspect. I speak a little bit of Spanish and it helped my Spanish a bit when I watched 'Pablo Escobar, el patron del mal' which also had English subtitles. I have tried to dabble in the French language but am thoroughly awful so this might help to that end :)

P.S. I wouldn't particularly recommend the TV series I just mentioned. If that genre (South American drug cartels) is your thing though then I would recommend Narcos and El Chapo.
    I am the reverse of you on the language front, as my french is pretty good whereas my spanish is limited to dos cervesas por favor and gracias. 2 essential phrases in any language I find.

I have watched El Chapo, and enjoyed it. I fell short of recommending it, mainly because I find it a literal guilty pleasure as I feel I have no sympathy for any of the main characters (unlike say the brilliant Breaking Bad).
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,168
    Read some books.
    But as far as series and films go, I assume you have watched GOT, if not get up to speed.

Recently watched 'Bridge of Spies' and really enjoyed it, got me thinking if Tom Hanks has ever been in a really bad movie (apart from Ladykillers maybe)?

These are a mix of Sky, Netflix and Prime
    'The Good Place' quirky and Ted Danson
    'Preacher' Irish junky vampire, priests and angels (need i say more)
    'Brooklyn 99' pretty much same joke every episode but funny
    'Stranger Things' Winona Ryder and a bunch of weird stuff with an 80s Goonies feel
    'Dexter' just because
    '13 reasons why' wife started watching this and I got hooked
    'Walking Dead' see above
    'Black Mirror' see above
    'Parks and Recreation' one of the funniest shows I'd never heard of

Bound to be more
  • Options
    "read some books" - Just working my way through film, television and youtube clips first, then I will make a start on books :p

GOT - Massive +1. I am all up to date with GOT.

The Good Place - Watched the latest installment last night, which I presume was the season finale as it seemed to tie everything up nicely and leave me with no cognitive dissonance :)

Stranger Things - I had 1 TV series and 1 film I wanted to review when I created this thread. This was the TV series. Might still do that.

The Walking Dead - Meh, have seen them all and while it started out promising the plot has been going around in circles ever since. It is now thoroughly missing its potential IMO.

Have dabbled in a couple of the others and will check out the others mentioned, cheers :)
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Just thought of one that I would love you to review.

Swiss Army Man

Daniel (Harry Potter) Radcliffe is in it, please try to watch to the end :smiley:

• Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

Just thought of one that I would love you to review.

Swiss Army Man

Daniel (Harry Potter) Radcliffe is in it, please try to watch to the end :smiley:

I sense a set-up but okay, I will bite and watch it. I do like Daniel Radcliffe, have a feeling I may not after I watch your suggestion :D
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,486
    edited January 2018
    HENDRIK62 said:

Read some books.
    But as far as series and films go, I assume you have watched GOT, if not get up to speed.

Recently watched 'Bridge of Spies' and really enjoyed it, got me thinking if Tom Hanks has ever been in a really bad movie (apart from Ladykillers maybe)?

These are a mix of Sky, Netflix and Prime
    'The Good Place' quirky and Ted Danson
    'Preacher' Irish junky vampire, priests and angels (need i say more)
    'Brooklyn 99' pretty much same joke every episode but funny
    'Stranger Things' Winona Ryder and a bunch of weird stuff with an 80s Goonies feel
    'Dexter' just because
    '13 reasons why' wife started watching this and I got hooked
    'Walking Dead' see above
    'Black Mirror' see above
    'Parks and Recreation' one of the funniest shows I'd never heard of

Bound to be more

Inferno / Angels & Demons / The Da Vinci Code (three-way tie)
  • Options
    fair point, had forgotten about the Dan Brown stuff
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,743
    Tin Star
    Fargo
    The Lost Room

Films
    Kick ****
    Les Miserables
    Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid
  • Options
    I quite liked The Da Vinci Code, not due to its integrity or anything, I just enjoyed spending some time watching it.

Speaking of Tom Hanks... I watched Captain Philips the other night. I thought that was reasonable and worth a watch at least. Not film of the year or anything but decent.
  • Options
    wp Tom

Tin Star is a good series and kick **** is a great movie
  • Options
    Okay I will avoid the work I have to do and post my first review. It is not the one suggested by Hendrik yet although I will do that soon.

Stranger Things - TV Series

**I will not give any major spoilers away**

The very basic plot line - It is set in the 1980s. A boy goes missing in a small US town and it soon becomes apparent that something mysterious and sinister is responsible.

I love sci-fi so when I seen this on Netflix I gave it a try. I watched the first few episodes and thought it was okay. Then there was an episode with low budget special effects and I lost interest. Sounds gripping huh?

Then my partner returned from a girls weekend and asked if I had seen this. She said everyone was raving about it. Had I missed something here? It had all seemed rather unspectacular to me. I thought I would give it another try and watched a few more episodes. Sure enough the character development started to become very strong. I then started to get what the producers were trying to do. They were not intending to dazzle the viewer with special effects but rather create a retro 80s feel. The more I watched the more I realised just how well they had managed to pull this off.

If I had to succinctly describe this film I would say it is 'Stand By Me meets Sci-Fi'.

If you have not seen Stand By Me then you are missing out on one of the best 'coming of age' films that has been made.

Also, in contrasts to so many other TV series, I thought the second season of Stranger Things was even better than the first. So if you are thinking of giving Stranger Things a try I would highly recommend it and advise you to 'stick with it'. It is well worth it in the end.

I would give it a 8.8/10

The trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWxyRG_tckY

• Options
    Started watching The Fall tonight with Gillian Anderson (Scully) and so far so good.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,276
    Films, Off The Top Of my Head.

Pulp Fiction
    One flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
    The Usual Suspects
    Taxidriver
    Cape Fear
    Goodfellas
    City Of God
    American History X
    Planes Trains And Automobiles
    Control

TV Shows,

Boys From The Blackstuff
    Auf Wiedersehen Pet
    Sopranos
    Boardwalk Empire
    Trilogy of Scottish Play For Today ( Just Another Saturday , Just A Boys Game , Elephants Graveyard.
    True Detectives , (The First One).
  • Options
    SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    rabdeniro said:

Films, Off The Top Of my Head.

Pulp Fiction
    One flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
    The Usual Suspects
    Taxidriver
    Cape Fear
    Goodfellas

City Of God
    American History X
    Planes Trains And Automobiles
    Control

TV Shows,

Boys From The Blackstuff
    Auf Wiedersehen Pet
    Sopranos
    Boardwalk Empire
    Trilogy of Scottish Play For Today ( Just Another Saturday , Just A Boys Game , Elephants Graveyard.
    True Detectives , (The First One).

Suspected these might have been in there...
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,039
    Films:
    American Psycho
    The Machinist
    Cinderella Man
    Hacksaw Ridge
    Manchester By The Sea
    Get Out
    Split
    Million Dollar Baby

Tv:
    Breaking Bad
    The Walking Dead
    Narcos
    Black Mirror
    Line Of Duty
  • Options
    paige55paige55 Member Posts: 2,953
    FILMS SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, THE MONEY PIT,UP,WALL E, WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE, BIG, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, TV SHOWS FUED,DEXTER, LITTLE BIG LIES, FARGO,
  • Options
    paige55paige55 Member Posts: 2,953
    paige55 said:

FILMS SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, THE MONEY PIT,UP,WALL E, WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE, BIG, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, TV SHOWS FUED,DEXTER, LITTLE BIG LIES, FARGO,

GOT
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,743
    Peep Show