You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The end is near?

13»

Comments

• Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,530
    Grats on your win. Both teams looked really poor to be honest. Liverpool have got this in the bag imo.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,219

Grats on your win. Both teams looked really poor to be honest. Liverpool have got this in the bag imo.

Thanks @kapowblamz

I got lucky with the bet. I always price up games before looking at the odds and actually betting, as I prefer to look for value rather than winners. I had it in my mind that Bayern would be a value bet at 13/8 or better, so I was a bit shocked to see they were just 21/20, whereas Real were an amazing 5/2, so I flipped and went with Real.

Both teams were very poor indeed tonight, but the Spaniards are likely to be much better in the 2nd leg, and then the final.
  • Options
    K0BAYASHlK0BAYASHl Member Posts: 2,027
    Any tips for tonight Tikay? :)
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    K0BAYASHl said:

Any tips for tonight Tikay? :)

Ha, if only.

Back the opposite to me would be my suggestion. I fully intended to get on Bayern last night until I saw the prices.

I might have a small wager on tonight's Arsenal game in the Europa League, but not given it much thought yet. if I could get, say, 13/8 or better on Arsenal, that'd likely be my bet, any less & I'd be more interested in getting against them at 9/4 or so. You never know what Arsenal will turn up, do you? Mr Wenger (who I want to marry) has got a curly lip on, too, so that might not help.

EDIT - just realised that Diego Costa might be in the line-up. Jeez, he could run amok against a flaky Arsenal defence.
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,530
    Lay arsenal I reckon. All in. This Atletico team is far far faaaaaar better than Arsenal.
  • Options

Lay arsenal I reckon. All in. This Atletico team is far far faaaaaar better than Arsenal.

Broadly, I'd agree, but it all depends on the prices. It's all about the value.

Incidentally, I made a throwaway comment last night about a bet, & it's clear many of you enjoy a bet, & also enjoy chatting about it. Wrong thread really, but that's my fault.

We have a thriving Horse Racing betting sector here already, but not much about football betting, so I'm going to start a thread or threads where we can have some football betting bants & chit-chat. And maybe make a few bob along the way.
  • Options
    K0BAYASHlK0BAYASHl Member Posts: 2,027
    I put a double on arsenal and Salzburg :)
  • Options
    PkDevilPkDevil Member Posts: 147
    I liked this post by the Poker pro Doug Polk regarding PokerStars. He always does funny videos. Just wait for it.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVHwFiFnTUw

Also found this. Now i'm not enflaming things here. This is just one article on it. I guess will time will tell but here's a link about Pokerstars and Amaya:

https://legitorscam.org/pokerstars-is-a-scam/

I'll let you know if I actually find anything positive on them so there is a balanced view. If this is too enflamy on the thread considering the deal then the admis can feel free to remove the post.

Just thought i'd post some outside stuff on it.
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited April 2018
    The problem with going to people like Doug and Joey is that their views aren't balanced and also tailored to their audience.

The narrative they offer isn't one sided and gets views/likes because their viewers tend to be poker geeks/nerds who hate on everyone and everything.

One of the biggest reasons why the game is now tougher and less 'fun' is that most people know what they are doing, and if they don't, then it is very easy to get to a competent standard. As a founder of a training site, then Doug is complicit in that.

Joey was a full ring 24 tabling robot for much of his career; now he spends most of his time moaning about nits and bots? Does he think that recs who played v him during that time thought that he was anything but those things? BTW I don't blame him for that. I was among a group of 10-15 cash players on Sky who exhibited the same behaviour and we absolutely killed the cash games on the site where recreational players had absolutely no chance.

Remember this scene from Rounders? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciWBzhmOC_o

This was what it was like being a cash reg on the 50-200nl tables here for a couple of years. We wouldn't play with each other, but also we wouldn't play against each other. The fish had no chance. And thats before we even talk about the cash games stable that was playing here for a while.....

If I had theagain then I'd play more tables and for longer; just human nature to take the most EV that you can when you have a limited opportunity.

The changes that Stars have made in the last 18 months has made it a far better playing environment for recreational players. Yes, they have done some scummy things like the way that they removed SuperNova.

The issue with increasing rake I am not that concerned about - 10 years ago the rake was at 10% for low stakes tournies; is PokerStars immune to the effect of inflation? Have their employment costs remained the same during that time? For a live example the GUKPT main was £1000+60 when i first player, now it is £1000+110.

The other big site that has gone the way of more rakeback, longer structures etc is now probably the toughest site for anyone to play, both pros and recs alike.

As a professional, I take a lot of time to consider the games that I play. Stars makes up a reasonable part of my schedule as they offer by far the best value when it comes to large field MTTs.

There are so many issues facing the poker industry. The bots, eastern european grinders killing the low stakes games, a lot more choice in peoples entertainment options etc. PokerStars and rake changes is actually a long way down the list to what has harmed poker in the last few years.

Sky Poker has shown that having a different approach can thrive, and again I am hopeful that Tikay et al can bring a strong case for keeping this environment separate from the global Stars player pool.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,653
    scotty77 said:

The problem with going to people like Doug and Joey is that their views aren't balanced and also tailored to their audience.

The narrative they offer isn't one sided and gets views/likes because their viewers tend to be poker geeks/nerds who hate on everyone and everything.

One of the biggest reasons why the game is now tougher and less 'fun' is that most people know what they are doing, and if they don't, then it is very easy to get to a competent standard. As a founder of a training site, then Doug is complicit in that.

Joey was a full ring 24 tabling robot for much of his career; now he spends most of his time moaning about nits and bots? Does he think that recs who played v him during that time thought that he was anything but those things? BTW I don't blame him for that. I was among a group of 10-15 cash players on Sky who exhibited the same behaviour and we absolutely killed the cash games on the site where recreational players had absolutely no chance.

Remember this scene from Rounders? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciWBzhmOC_o

This was what it was like being a cash reg on the 50-200nl tables here for a couple of years. We wouldn't play with each other, but also we wouldn't play against each other. The fish had no chance. And thats before we even talk about the cash games stable that was playing here for a while.....

If I had theagain then I'd play more tables and for longer; just human nature to take the most EV that you can when you have a limited opportunity.

The changes that Stars have made in the last 18 months has made it a far better playing environment for recreational players. Yes, they have done some scummy things like the way that they removed SuperNova.

The issue with increasing rake I am not that concerned about - 10 years ago the rake was at 10% for low stakes tournies; is PokerStars immune to the effect of inflation? Have their employment costs remained the same during that time? For a live example the GUKPT main was £1000+60 when i first player, now it is £1000+110.

The other big site that has gone the way of more rakeback, longer structures etc is now probably the toughest site for anyone to play, both pros and recs alike.

As a professional, I take a lot of time to consider the games that I play. Stars makes up a reasonable part of my schedule as they offer by far the best value when it comes to large field MTTs.

There are so many issues facing the poker industry. The bots, eastern european grinders killing the low stakes games, a lot more choice in peoples entertainment options etc. PokerStars and rake changes is actually a long way down the list to what has harmed poker in the last few years.

Sky Poker has shown that having a different approach can thrive, and again I am hopeful that Tikay et al can bring a strong case for keeping this environment separate from the global Stars player pool.

please let this happen . great post
  • Options
    edited April 2018
  • Options
    PkDevilPkDevil Member Posts: 147
    @scotty77 Thanks for the quick and informative reply to the post scotty. It's always great to get the thoughts of pro-players. Holy **** dude, your stats are sick!
  • Options

The issue is the same as non poker media - negativity and controversy is what drives clicks and engagement. Look at the top viewed/rated content on Doug/Joey's channels. Without looking I can guess it'll be pops at DNegs/Stars, FullFlush, Alec Torelli angle etc.

And in the last year we have had many really positive stories in poker. John Hesp, which made international mainstream media as a really good feel good story, but who Doug constantly made fun of on YouTube and Twitter. Maria Lampropoulos winning 2 elite majors in 10 months, DNegs giving away 3 WSOP Main event seats.

Another thing to remember is that a lot of pieces in the poker media aren't actually written journalists but by people who either are former 'pros' who weren't good enough to make it, or by poker fanboys who enjoy following the crowd. There are very few people like Barry Carter (great follow on Twitter) out there who provide thoughtful and impartial content.

I was very guilty of following the herd before but now I try to think and distance myself from the popular opinion and try to make my own.

Just play the sites that are best for you; its free to download them all and check them out. I think I play on about 8 different ones on a weekly basis. You won't go far wrong with having Stars as part of your regular schedule however, despite what people say. Only last week they managed to have over 56 thousand players enter a $215 tournie; they must be doing something right.
  • Options
    68Trebor68Trebor Member Posts: 1,943
    What Stars do really well is have great software and give you the chance to change your life. As a rec player these are possibly the 2 most important factors when choosing a site to play.
    The way they handled the Full Tilt debacle also provided players with the knowledge that they will look after your money and that they do care.
    Do they have the camaraderie of SkyPoker? No.
    Are they a decent, well run poker site? I would say Yes.
  • Options
    Good point. Only last year they made good to the tune of $2m by returning lost funds to PKR customers, making the money fully withdrawal-able in the Stars cashier with no strings attached.

Microgaming, the network that PKR was on for a year or so before and thus had profited from network fees and rake, didn't contribute a penny.
  • Options
    BigHawk89BigHawk89 Member Posts: 627
    Great points @scotty77 👍

Really hope they can keep sky going it is something very unique and I have been very loyal to this site over the years.

If anyone can give a good argument for keeping sky it will be @tikay10 bet he can sell ice to Eskimos haha.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    yeah like im going to be up at that time on a sunday to do a double post