You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Political Correctness

Comments

• Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,618
    You can say; Ladies of the Day...... Ladies of the Evening ..... but not Night.!
  • Options
    I blame Kylie & her "Hot Pants" for all this confusion. Got everyone spinning around.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Is there any thread you don't ruin with your inane gibberish, Goldon?

• Options

Copy you ....... my hero. splutter!
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    goldon said:

Good for you.

You need a new hero after your last one passed on....apparently.
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    HAYSIE said:

Apparently the latest view on Snow White, is that she didn't consent to the kiss.

Nor did Romeo. But that doesn't fit the narrative.
  • Options

goldon said:

Good for you.

You need a new hero after your last one passed on....apparently.

Won't copy the nasty bit's ........ Mm! not much left.

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,905

Me and him never agree on anything, but on this occasion, he does have a point.
  • Options
    RogueCellRogueCell Member Posts: 532
    Whilst some people get offended by other people's offence, others (CLUE: usually not white men) might be grateful that people are being made to reflect on the fact that language can be and is weaponised. Usually not in favour of the underclass (context again required, thanks Pingu).
  • Options
    snowflakes keep falling on my head.
  • Options
    goldon said:

snowflakes keep falling on my head.

I rest my case.
  • Options
    RogueCell said:

Whilst some people get offended by other people's offence, others (CLUE: usually not white men) might be grateful that people are being made to reflect on the fact that language can be and is weaponised. Usually not in favour of the underclass (context again required, thanks Pingu).

Some statements, and comments, are clearly meant to insult, or hurt people or groups of people. The majority of these comments could not be debated, and the vast majority of people will see them for what they are.
    These statements are not criticised because they are politically incorrect, they are not acceptable because they are clearly insulting or hurtful.
    However there are people, and groups of people that are prepared to go to extreme lengths, to suggest that political incorrectness exists in places that a normal person would overlook, be blind to, and see nothing wrong with. Like rewriting fairy tales because Snow White didn't consent to the kiss.
  • Options
    The point being made Haysie, is that a bunch of white guys are not in a position to dictate what is upsetting to other groups, yet they EXPECT to have the RIGHT to define the experience of others. Nobody has even phrased it as a question, like WHY do people feel offended - because they aren't interested.

I'm far from a snowflake ( and enjoy my banter slightly more 'robust', but I don't speak for all women), but so often these comments just seem to be saying "how very dare people protest against my right to engage in casual sexism/racism/homophobia". No, the world isn't like it used to be. Amen to that.
  • Options

I really miss the block button sometimes.
  • Options
    buttons you like pressing ....... try these instead.

• Options
    RogueCell said:

The point being made Haysie, is that a bunch of white guys are not in a position to dictate what is upsetting to other groups, yet they EXPECT to have the RIGHT to define the experience of others. Nobody has even phrased it as a question, like WHY do people feel offended - because they aren't interested.

I'm far from a snowflake ( and enjoy my banter slightly more 'robust', but I don't speak for all women), but so often these comments just seem to be saying "how very dare people protest against my right to engage in casual sexism/racism/homophobia". No, the world isn't like it used to be. Amen to that.

“Political Correctness” was it seems historically a phrase that had positive connotations. It was meant to symbolise politeness in order to avoid discrimination or alienation against disadvantaged groups. It did though have different meanings in different countries for example the communists used the phrase to ensure “correct” political views were taken.
    In the 1990’ the term “Political Correctness Gone Mad (PCGM)” was used more and more in the UK. It was the main term used by the “right” to show their concerns about “left” wing policies. Too many it became an evangelical crusade to use this term in order to stop the spread of left wing policies and liberalism.
    It also led to a range of urban myths as examples of PCGM.
    City councils banning Christmas to avoid offending Jews, Muslims, neopagans, and other non-Christian folk
    Manholes being renamed “Personnel Access Units” to avoid offending women.
    Blackboards in school being renamed “chalkboards” to avoid offending black people.
    School sports day being cancelled in an effort to wrap British children up in cotton wool.
    People not being allowed to sing “Ba Ba Black Sheep”
    It’s interesting to note that it’s usually not minorities who raise this issue of PC, but politicians who want to exploit the situation. For example politicians (sometimes even with the best of intentions), make a judgement on behalf of minorities and say things should be banned in order not to offend a minority whereas in reality the minorities are not actually ever offended. Similarly, many journalists make up articles about PCGM since they have been paid to report these prejudices through one sided reporting
  • Options
    Here's 11 examples of political correctness gone mad.
    1. The BBC has dropped the use of the terms Before Christ (BC) and Anno Domini (AD) on one of their programmes and decided that the terms 'Before Common Era' / 'Common Era' are more appropriate
    2. The European Parliament introduced proposals to outlaw titles stating marital status such as 'Miss' and 'Mrs' so as not to cause offence. It also meant that 'Madame' and 'Mademoiselle', 'Frau' and 'Fraulein' and 'Senora' and 'Senorita' would be banned.
    3. Throughout several US councils and organisations, any terms using the word 'man' as a prefix or suffix have been ruled as not being politically correct. 'Manhole' is now referred to as a 'utility' or 'maintenance' hole.
    4. Loveable cartoon rogue Dennis the Menace has been given a politically correct make over. BBC chiefs decided to take away his edge in the remake. Gone are his bombs, catapult, water pistol and pea shooter - and in their place is a simple boyish grin.
    5. Spotted **** - a classic English dessert has been renamed to avoid embarrassment. The traditional pud Spotted **** has been given the title Spotted Richard, after UK council bosses feared the original name might cause offence.
    6. A school in Seattle renamed its Easter eggs 'spring spheres' to avoid causing offence to people who did not celebrate Easter.
    7. A UK council has banned the term 'brainstorming' – and replaced it with 'thought showers', as local lawmakers thought the term may offend epileptics.
    8. A UK recruiter was stunned when her job advert for 'reliable' and 'hard-working' applicants was rejected by the job centre as it could be offensive to unreliable and lazy people.
    9. Gillingham fans had begun to fondly offer celery to their goalkeeper, ‘Big Fat’ Jim Stannard. The club, however, decided that celery could result in health and safety issues inside the ground. As a result, fans were subjected to celery searches with the ultimate sanction for possession of celery allegedly being a life ban.’
    10. In 2007, Santa Clauses in Sydney, Australia, were banned from saying 'Ho Ho Ho'. Their employer, the recruitment firm Westaff (that supplies hundreds of Santas across Australia), allegedly told all trainees that 'ho ho ho' could frighten children, and be derogatory to women. Why ? Because 'Ho Ho Ho' is too close to the American (not Australian, mind you) slang for prostitute.
    11. Some US schools now have a 'holiday tree' every at Christmas, rather than a Christmas tree.
  • Options
    The examples given are clearly stupid. No arguments there. Aside from possibly (2). Why should women be denoted to all by their marital status when men are not? Just because things have always been a certain way, does not mean we cannot find a better one.

That doesn't take away from the fact that the aims of PC are noble, and based in the idea that we can and should go about our business without being dickish to other people, and then blaming their sensitivity when they object.

I'm just asking you not to mansplain to people what they do and do not have the right to object to.

Back to Pingu's comment about context: it probably is ok to make locker-room type sexist jokes to your friends, so long as you all understand that they are jokes, and you do not actually treat women like sexual commodities or second-rate citizens. What is NOT ok, is to go on TV when you are running for President, and advocate 'grabbing them by the ****'. Because you're telling a bunch of people who actually want to vote for you that it's ok to assault women. Is that clear enough?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    HAYSIE said:

Here's 11 examples of political correctness gone mad.
    1. The BBC has dropped the use of the terms Before Christ (BC) and Anno Domini (AD) on one of their programmes and decided that the terms 'Before Common Era' / 'Common Era' are more appropriate

This is born out of practicality - Non-Christian countries wouldn't accept "Before/After Christ" for obvious reasons but there is a need to homogenise calendars for things like computers to all use the same piece of code for time/date.

It's far easier to use CE/BCE globally than it is to rewrite every piece of computer code multiple times for different calendar systems according to the end user's preference.
    HAYSIE said:

6. A school in Seattle renamed its Easter eggs 'spring spheres' to avoid causing offence to people who did not celebrate Easter.

This is offensive to me because Easter eggs are clearly not spheres.

What even is the technical term for an egg shaped 3D thing?
  • Options
    Ovoid innit