You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Political Correctness

13»

Comments

• Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    RogueCell said:

Ovoid innit

Spring Ovoid. I like it :D
  • Options
    RogueCellRogueCell Member Posts: 532
    I think it would be better to 'Latin up' and go with Ovoidus vernus personally.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,536
    RogueCell said:

The examples given are clearly stupid. No arguments there. Aside from possibly (2). Why should women be denoted to all by their marital status when men are not? Just because things have always been a certain way, does not mean we cannot find a better one.

That doesn't take away from the fact that the aims of PC are noble, and based in the idea that we can and should go about our business without being dickish to other people, and then blaming their sensitivity when they object.

I'm just asking you not to mansplain to people what they do and do not have the right to object to.

Back to Pingu's comment about context: it probably is ok to make locker-room type sexist jokes to your friends, so long as you all understand that they are jokes, and you do not actually treat women like sexual commodities or second-rate citizens. What is NOT ok, is to go on TV when you are running for President, and advocate 'grabbing them by the ****'. Because you're telling a bunch of people who actually want to vote for you that it's ok to assault women. Is that clear enough?

The Trump comments are just wrong, and were wrong before political correctness was invented. They will always be wrong. I don't think it serves anyone to confuse things that are clearly just wrong, with political correctness.
    To use the n word to refer to a black person is just wrong. Where referring to a blackboard as a chalkboard may be politically correct.
    If you were a member of The National Front, political correctness will probably not be a consideration for you.
    The question at the start of the thread was," has it gone too far." I think the examples show that it has.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,281
    HAYSIE said:

RogueCell said:

The examples given are clearly stupid. No arguments there. Aside from possibly (2). Why should women be denoted to all by their marital status when men are not? Just because things have always been a certain way, does not mean we cannot find a better one.

That doesn't take away from the fact that the aims of PC are noble, and based in the idea that we can and should go about our business without being dickish to other people, and then blaming their sensitivity when they object.

I'm just asking you not to mansplain to people what they do and do not have the right to object to.

Back to Pingu's comment about context: it probably is ok to make locker-room type sexist jokes to your friends, so long as you all understand that they are jokes, and you do not actually treat women like sexual commodities or second-rate citizens. What is NOT ok, is to go on TV when you are running for President, and advocate 'grabbing them by the ****'. Because you're telling a bunch of people who actually want to vote for you that it's ok to assault women. Is that clear enough?

The Trump comments are just wrong, and were wrong before political correctness was invented. They will always be wrong. I don't think it serves anyone to confuse things that are clearly just wrong, with political correctness.
    To use the n word to refer to a black person is just wrong. Where referring to a blackboard as a chalkboard may be politically correct.
    If you were a member of The National Front, political correctness will probably not be a consideration for you.
    The question at the start of the thread was," has it gone too far." I think the examples show that it has.
    The problem I have with that is that its perfectly ok for black people to use the N word as a form of address with each other ie "Hey my N hows it going".

Now if they can say that and I cant isn't that discrimination against me based on my ethnicity and therefore illegal ??

Youll find that the answer is yes because any argument the other way is based on the fact that I'm white and contrary to popular belief you can be discriminatory and racist against white people. Not that I give a rats **** to be honest theres more serious stuff going on to concern me, but just making an oft overlooked point.

Yours in harmony

Mark
  • Options
    Abusing other people is just wrong and has nothing to do with political correctness, which is silly on occasion.
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462

The problem I have with that is that its perfectly ok for black people to use the N word as a form of address with each other ie "Hey my N hows it going".

Now if they can say that and I cant isn't that discrimination against me based on my ethnicity and therefore illegal ??

Youll find that the answer is yes because any argument the other way is based on the fact that I'm white and contrary to popular belief you can be discriminatory and racist against white people.

I don't think white people can be upset by this when black people had to live through centuries of slavery, segregation and discrimination.
    EvilPingu said:

context
    context
    context
    context
    context

The word has a slightly different meaning when white people use it compared to when black people use it.
  • Options
    Princess Michael of Kent has two black sheep that she has named Venus and Serena.
  • Options
    Red_KingRed_King Member Posts: 2,850
    Apparently it's all in the Context, ALEXA, AI AI Oh!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CYvFxs32zvQ
  • Options
    Google have taken the egg out of their salad emoji, because vegans didn't like it.
  • Options
    I like eggs, but hate tomatoes.
    Maybe we could start a petition to also take the tomatoes out.
    It would then have to be a lettuce emoji.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,281
    I love vegetarians and vegans. For every cow, sheep, or pig they don't eat I'm gonna eat 2

Yours in bbq

Mark