You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Bad beats

Sky_RichSky_Rich Member Posts: 3,837
edited March 2010 in Poker Chat
The down side to poker...Let off some steam, Get it off your chest.  This is the ideal place to share all those bad beat stories we know you have!

Comments

• Options
    KevilfishKevilfish Member Posts: 354
    edited May 2009
    One I'll remember for a while, I've got pocket tens, I raise it up, I get one caller.

Flop: TKA.

My opponent bets out, I raise it, it's a possible straightening board so don't want him to have the right price to hit a straight and also know if he has QJ, I still have outs. He goes all in, I call. He turns KQ. Second pair and a gut-shot.

Turn is an Ace. I'm thinking great, there's his straight away.

River is another Ace. He has Aces over Kings, I now only have Aces over Tens.

It was a sore one.
  • Options
    Sky_RichSky_Rich Member Posts: 3,837
    edited May 2009
    In Response to Re: Bad beats:
    One I'll remember for a while, I've got pocket tens, I raise it up, I get one caller. Flop: TKA. My opponent bets out, I raise it, it's a possible straightening board so don't want him to have the right price to hit a straight and also know if he has QJ, I still have outs. He goes all in, I call. He turns KQ. Second pair and a gut-shot. Turn is an Ace. I'm thinking great, there's his straight away. River is another Ace. He has Aces over Kings, I now only have Aces over Tens. It was a sore one.
    Posted by Kevilfish

Ouch!
  • Options
    moggersmoggers Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2009
    just went out 4th on double your money, I had big slick (AK) go all in he has K2 and calls me???? flop turns up nothing, turn, again nothing, river its a 2!!! Hate it when that happens specially when it means im 4th on a double your money :-(
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,076
    edited June 2009

Moggers. If you have A-K, & MateyBoy has K-2, you WANT him to Call. Every time.

You are 76% to win, he is 24%. At those odds, you'd take it every single time. And make a fortune over time.

But 3/1 dogs to win 1 time in 4. Accept those odds with glee! It's as good as it gets in poker, those odds are monsta big.

Truse me, you WANT folks to make bad calls on you, all day long. Just take the rough with the smooth, the smooth is long-term profitability, interrupted by occasional short-term losses.
  • Options
    silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited June 2009
    All in the space of 90 minutes:

AJ Vs A3 - All in pre flop, I hit my jack, he hits runner runner 3's

8-10 Vs J-5 - Blind V Blind, I hit my 8 & shove for 1100 (blinds 50/100 & villain has been a luckbox of the highest order!), he calls, jack on the river

99 Vs J8 - All in pre flop, I flop my set, he hits runner runner straight
  • Options
    Fella666Fella666 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2009

Had a similar situation to moggers some months ago on a sit & go but a worse bad beat:

Dealt A K and raised 5 times big blind with one caller

Flop comes out A 4 A so I'm looking good with 3 of a kind Aces with King kicker so raise 2 x pot, the other guy calls so I'm thinking he may have the other Ace and possibly a four to go with it.

Turn card comes down its a King I now have full house Aces over Kings and as have slightly the smaller stack I raise a larger than pot size bet, again he calls

River card comes down and its a 4, now pot committed I chuck in the rest of my chips feeling very happy with my self especially when he calls only to find out the other guy had been holding on to a pair of 4's and now has 4 of a kind.

Gutted is far to mild a word for what I felt.

This all happen before there was this forum and glad to know I only did what Tikay advised moggers should have done but even then you can still be beaten.

Glad for the forum guys as its great to get those bad beats of your chest and move on with the next hand.

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,076
    edited June 2009
    Had a similar situation to moggers some months ago on a sit & go but a worse bad beat: Dealt A K and raised 5 times big blind with one caller Flop comes out A 4 A so I'm looking good with 3 of a kind Aces with King kicker so raise 2 x pot, the other guy calls so I'm thinking he may have the other Ace and possibly a four to go with it. Turn card comes down its a King I now have full house Aces over Kings and as have slightly the smaller stack I raise a larger than pot size bet, again he calls River card comes down and its a 4, now pot committed I chuck in the rest of my chips feeling very happy with my self especially when he calls only to find out the other guy had been holding on to a pair of 4's and now has 4 of a kind. Gutted is far to mild a word for what I felt. This all happen before there was this forum and glad to know I only did what Tikay advised moggers should have done but even then you can still be beaten. Glad for the forum guys as its great to get those bad beats of your chest and move on with the next hand.
    Posted by Fella666
    Nice Post Fella666.

Actually, you might not like this, but......

It was not, technically, a Bad-Beat. A bad Beat is when you go in a long way ahead, & get sucked out. A-A v 7-2, or K-K v A-2, for example.

In your case, you went in "behind" - you had A high, Matey Boy had a pair. That's roughly an even money shot, so it's just a coin-flip.

Your hand is what is known as a "cooler", or a "cold-deck". That's when the Cards conspire to mean you have a monster, (as you did, on the Flop & Turn,) & cannot possibly fold, but the Poker Gods are just teasing, & you end up losing. And that Cooler you had was an absolute MONSTA, because it's quite impossible to get off your holding.

Very unlucky indeed, I agree.

No-Limit Poker, a game that is, in turns, both beautiful & brutal, eh?

Enjoyed your Post, mate.
  • Options
    YoungUnYoungUn Member Posts: 422
    edited June 2009
    Actually, you might not like this, but...... It was not, technically, a Bad-Beat. A bad Beat is when you go in a long way ahead, & get sucked out. A-A v 7-2, or K-K v A-2, for example. In your case, you went in "behind" - you had A high, Matey Boy had a pair. That's roughly an even money shot, so it's just a coin-flip. Your hand is what is known as a "cooler", or a "cold-deck". Posted by Tikay10
    I'd like to argue that he didn't get it in behind with A high vs the pair, because they weren't all-in pre-flop. I would instead propose that he got ALL of his money in with the worst hand on the river. A similar example from the second hand of a DYM S'N'G I played yesterday:

I raised with AA on the button, the SB called, the BB re-raised. I have notes on him for open raising with a super-huge range so I thought with position I can easily get a c-bet out of him on the flop and then I can jam it. So I just flat-called, as did the SB.

The flop was 8,7,2 rainbow. SB checked, the BB pushed all in (he had 1600 and the pot was ~1300), I insta-called, as did the SB. The BB had JJ, I of course had AA, but the SB had 88 for top set. The turn was a J giving the BB a set and he knocked us both out.

So in my case I can't say that I was bad-beated because I got all of my chips in behind (despite having the best hand pre-flop, of course), but the man with 88 could say he was bad-beated because he got his money in as a gross favourite.

I will agree with Tikay in that fella's hand - just like my example above - was a cooler.
  • Options
    kirstiikirstii Member Posts: 787
    edited June 2009
    I think i've had one of the worst beats ever, 4 left in a double your money sit and go, i have pocket 9's in the small blind, i raise 3x which is half my stack. Big stack in the big blind calls me. Flop comes 2 4 5 rainbow i push all in, he snap calls and turns over 3 6 off.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Is what i said i believe. Most painful beat i've ever taken.
  • Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited June 2009
    I still have nightmares about this one. More of a cold deck than a bad beat, but I'll post it anyway.

I have AsKs on the button and raise it up. BB calls.

Flop comes Qs Js 5s

BB goes all-in, of course I call (or there wouldn't be much of a story!)
    BB flips over 6s7s

Turn 4s

River 8s
  • Options
    YoungUnYoungUn Member Posts: 422
    edited June 2009
    More of a cold deck than a bad beat. Posted by BigBluster

Quite the opposite, sir, this has to be the worst beat ever heard of?? He had to hit runner-runner, but they had to be PERFECT runners. He must have been <1% to win the pot when the money went in. I would be stunned if anyone can post a bad beat that tops that. All I can really say is "ul"!
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited June 2009
    O dear... dont think you should of started a topic called this!!! how long have you got?? well had one last night player calls 2nd position (10 seater table blinds 150/300) folds to me i have KK i raise to 1200 folds to caller who calls, flop JQ4 (2 hearts) he goes all in for 2100 i call he turns over the monster that is 8,3 hearts... hits flush on turn and doesnt even give me the pleasure of 4 flushing him with my K hearts!!!!!
  • Options
    MBroughtonMBroughton Member Posts: 101
    edited June 2009
    Don't think that just because you have a new home for bad beats we don't still want them for The Club! :)

M
  • Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited June 2009
    Don't think that just because you have a new home for bad beats we don't still want them for The Club! :) M
    Posted by MBroughton
     Gotta start sending stuff back into you guys... never remember, think last thing i sent was me folding KK pre ;-)
  • Options
    rossjb14rossjb14 Member Posts: 700
    edited June 2009

I need to share my pain. Playing a double money and have jack ten of diamonds.  The flop comes down all diamonds with the ace at the end. I'm short and need to double up, all in. He called with King 5 and he has two fives. Yup, you guessed it running 5s to give him quads.  Out I go in fourth place.

boo hoo

Ross

• Options
    welshboyowelshboyo Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2009
    thing is every single 1 of us geta bad beats and you always remember them especially the really bad ones but how long do you remember the beats you give other players cause it happens
  • Options
    SomersetJoSomersetJo Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2009
    Had this one playing live.

I limp in on the button with 5 & 6 H after everyone folds. SB min raises, BB calls. (I know, I should have raised or folded, but this was only the second level, and I thought, look at the flop.)
    Flop comes down 7, 8, 9 H. I thought it was my birthday. SB checks, BB bets half the pot, I call, SB calls.
    Turn is 9D. SB bets the pot, BB raises, I call, SB calls.
    River is 8S. SB checks, BB goes all in. I metaphorically rub my hands and go all in. (We are all close in chips, SB is leader by about 300). SB goes all in.
     Me Straight Flush
    BB AK Hearts for nut flush.
    SB...............yep, TJ hearts.

Given that's only my third straight flush in about 3 years of playing, I was somewhat disappointed.
  • Options
    AsmodeusAsmodeus Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2009
    In a vegas qualifier, I get dealt J-K, everyone flat call to me, so I raise 3x and I get one taker. The flop comes down J-8-K - one spade.

I push. Get called by 6-3 of spade, and you've guessed it, runner runner spades.

Oh the joys, lol.
  • Options
    namesb0ndnamesb0nd Member Posts: 402
    edited June 2009
    i just went out on the bubble from chip leader with 3 bad beats in a row!
    1:i get a shortie all-in with KQ vs his Q7,he hits trips.
    2:same guy,my aces vs his AJ and guess what,he hits trips.
    3:now i am short,top pair on the flop all-in,same guy calls with a gutshot and...well you can guess what the river brought.

this after a bad beat exit in the 500 last night near the bubble.i'm losing faith in this poker lark.
  • Options
    silentbobsilentbob Member Posts: 2,137
    edited June 2009
    OMG!!!

Primo sat.

Blinds at 50/100 in the BB with AQo & a complete & utter maniac at the table. He's been calling raises & 3-betting with marginal hands & shoving almost EVERY flop. I'm down to 1600 chips & blinds are about to increase within the next 60 seconds.

3 limpers so I decided to shove figuring that there's a great chance I'm ahead here. Maniac also shoves to isolate & the other 2 fold. Cards flip & he shows Q4 diamonds. Seriously, what was he thinking?!?!?!

Now, had he hit his 4 I could've just about dealt with that but..................................................

runner, runner, runner, runner straight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, every cloud has a silver lining & I'll certainly be looking him up again to take loads of money from him.