You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Bubble of the 10k bounty hunter. Too nitty??

ShaunyTShaunyT Member Posts: 619
edited December 2021 in Strategy
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
P6 Small blind  250.00 250.00 3164.00
WEEDSTER Big blind  500.00 750.00 37566.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

Si_Pies Fold     
ShaunyT Raise  1500.00 2250.00 22591.00
Alexx26 Fold     
P6 Fold     
WEEDSTER Call  1000.00 3250.00 36566.00
Flop

WEEDSTER All-in  36566.00 39816.00 0.00
ShaunyT Fold     
WEEDSTER Muck     
WEEDSTER Win  3250.00  3250.00
WEEDSTER Return  36566.00 0.00 39816.00

Too nitty? I have an above average stack. Would have been chip leader if I hit. Didn't fancy throwing away 3 hours of play drawing to a flush. Thoughts??

Comments

• Options
    BigBlusterBigBluster Member Posts: 1,075
    edited February 2014
    Great fold. In a cash game you would've snapped him off. Also, if first to act you'd have been quite happy to move in yourself. But in a MTT in the situation described this is a fold. Very well played.

In the cold light of day, it is undoubtedly the correct play. In the heat of battle I'm not sure I could have done it.....

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited February 2014
    This is a simple fold if we are, as you say, on the bubble and an above average stack. Cash and standard MTT, we probs snap off. Not here though.

TBH you could probably just open fold this. Just no need to play the hand. You say you would've been chip leader, but in a flat payout structure things like that go out the window. Survival instincts should kick in when playing a sat...
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited February 2014
    We're not playing a sat?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Bubble of the 10k bounty hunter. Too nitty??:
    This is a simple fold if we are, as you say, on the bubble and an above average stack. Cash and standard MTT, we probs snap off. Not here though. TBH you could probably just open fold this. Just no need to play the hand. You say you would've been chip leader, but in a flat payout structure things like that go out the window. Survival instincts should kick in when playing a sat...
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Don't get this.

• Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited February 2014
    Easy fold, while our equity is good, some of our strength is in FE cos atm we have A high and we have no idea if any of our overs are live. We have 40+ BB and have only committed 3BB so far. Definite fold.

Also it might not even be a snap in cash, if we have reads our overs are likely no good cos this is what he does with 2pr/sets then its a fold
  • Options
    RyanC7RyanC7 Member Posts: 355
    edited February 2014
    This is a simple fold if we are, as you say, on the bubble and an above average stack. Cash and standard MTT, we probs snap off. Not here though. TBH you could probably just open fold this. Just no need to play the hand. You say you would've been chip leader, but in a flat payout structure things like that go out the window. Survival instincts should kick in when playing a sat...
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Open fold? Woooooooooooooooooooooooooottttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt bru
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    cheers guys. At the time it felt really nitty, looking back now, as you all say. fold. Ended up finishing 8th so paid off too :-D

Just to clarify this is not a sat (don't know where you got that from tbh lol). Was tonights ME 10k bounty hunter.
  • Options
    chicknMeltchicknMelt Member Posts: 1,159
    edited February 2014
    I'm not sure its as clean cut as everyone is making out...think about what the villain could have here... why would the villain be overbet donk shoving with a strong hand? If the action was different I can definately see the value in folding...

IMO, the villains range is heavily weighted towards weak and draw type hands that they think they can just take down the flop with, which looks like the hero shouldnt have hit much. 

Id be suprised to see something other than 9x, 6x, SD or FD or even just 2 random cards. I'd expect them to show up with a nutty type hand (set, 2 pair, straight) 10-20% of the time.

the absolute worst case is you call and are vs the nuts, 78...and you still have 40% equity. If my assuptions about their range are correct we have about 60% equity.

I'm leaning towards the call with this one. I dont care if I bubble, the money is up top and this is a fantastic opportunity to have a massive stack on the bubble

one other quick point, with blinds this big, and especially with average stacks <40bb you should definately be min raising preflop IMO.

• Options
    yoyoyoyo Member Posts: 642
    edited February 2014
    chickenmelt analyised it way better than i ever could but here's my foggy old-school tuppence-worth;

yeah no way am i snap folding the NFD with overs.

this is prob a leak of mine but i just don't don't like to give up big hands/draws so i'm pretty sure i'd need a helluv@ read/significant history to let this one go.

i hate the way the opponent has played his hand & oftentimes i'm just gonna spite call with such a strong draw to see what he has.

imo, we need a little bit of gamble from time to time & this is a decent spot for me
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    haha, I'm not sure why I thought it was a sat....what a dunce. It still remains a fold in a sat situation ;)

I'm with Julian and melt. It's rarely gonna be a set or flopped straight when he donk over shoves. A bare 9 or a worse FD are much more likely, maybe something like 1010 or 88 from time to time as well. Just too much equity here, and although its obvs much better to shove or draws instead of calling off, like Yoyo says sometimes we have to take a breath, hit the call button and go for it. All the big money is up top....
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Bubble of the 10k bounty hunter. Too nitty??:
    chickenmelt analyised it way better than i ever could but here's my foggy old-school tuppence-worth; yeah no way am i snap folding the NFD with overs. this is prob a leak of mine but i just don't don't like to give up big hands/draws so i'm pretty sure i'd need a helluv@ read/significant history to let this one go. i hate the way the opponent has played his hand & oftentimes i'm just gonna spite call with such a strong draw to see what he has. imo, we need a little bit of gamble from time to time & this is a decent spot for me
    Posted by yoyo
    Julian,
    Who am I or anyone else here to question your judgement? But here goes....
    Of course you need a little gamble in you, but calling a 45BB shove when you're 68% to miss (no guarantee that overcards are any good) just isn't right mathematically. You're under no stack pressure and can surely find a better spot than getting 45BBs in as a 2:1 dog with no fold equity. You just don't need to take the odds-against gamble at this stage.

I hate to say this to someone with your history of success, but in this case you're mistaken. The mathematics is unarguable.

• Options
    DoubleAAADoubleAAA Member Posts: 954
    edited February 2014
    In Response to  Re: Bubble of the 10k bounty hunter. Too nitty?? : Julian, Who am I or anyone else here to question your judgement? But here goes.... Of course you need a little gamble in you, but calling a 45BB shove when you're 68% to miss (no guarantee that overcards are any good) just isn't right mathematically. You're under no stack pressure and can surely find a better spot than getting 45BBs in as a 2:1 dog with no fold equity. You just don't need to take the odds-against gamble at this stage. I hate to say this to someone with your history of success, but in this case you're mistaken. The mathematics is unarguable.
    Posted by BigBluster
    So you think that villain would be playing 2 pair, straight or a set this way on the bubble on this board?  I'm counting the 2 overcards as live, so we have 15 outs and even if villain has A9 we still have 12 outs.

We want to go for the win, not min cash!
  • Options
    yoyoyoyo Member Posts: 642
    edited February 2014
    In Response to  Re: Bubble of the 10k bounty hunter. Too nitty?? : Julian, Who am I or anyone else here to question your judgement? But here goes.... Of course you need a little gamble in you, but calling a 45BB shove when you're 68% to miss (no guarantee that overcards are any good) just isn't right mathematically. You're under no stack pressure and can surely find a better spot than getting 45BBs in as a 2:1 dog with no fold equity. You just don't need to take the odds-against gamble at this stage. I hate to say this to someone with your history of success, but in this case you're mistaken. The mathematics is unarguable.
    Posted by BigBluster
    you may well be right sir & i'd be the first to acknowledge that some lines I take are far from optimal!
    but, as already said I'm hoping our over cards are live & on a really good day we might already be ahead (optimism is a wonderful thing)
  • Options
    Wacko90Wacko90 Member Posts: 906
    edited February 2014
    Good hand, if we take away the bubble factor then what is our move then?

Im folding this but purely because with 45bbs I would feel like I have a big enough stack and enough time to grind my way up and not risk at all on essentially a draw. We are still V deep for this stage of a tourney, we have a big stack who is playing like a maniac, although this is standard, albeit overly aggro and reckless bubble play this sort of play is indicative of someone who is very exploitable post bubble and I would be folding this and looking to grind his stack down as the tourney goes on.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Posted by BigBluster
    What are the maths for folding AA to an all in on the first hand of a tournament? ;)

Can see Wacko90's point, and if I was as good a tournament player as him then maybe I'd also pass. But I don't think I can find a fold. Far too juicy a flop, and we can even sometimes be ahead with A high. 

Suppose I just love a good gamble.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Wow. I thought my mind was made up and it was a definite fold. Now I'm not too sure.

Can I just say I really appreciate all the comments and insight into what you think and how people have analyzed it.

To be honest the fact that I've folded means I'm obviously more inclined to agree with Wacko90's point about 45bb stack/better spots later on. However I kind of agree with every single comment lol. I supposed it depends on how much gamble you have in you. I didn't mention the bubble to highlight the money aspect, it was to highlight how this affects peoples play. Like a few have said was he really that strong if he shoved like that?? My thoughts are perhaps he was just playing the bubble factor and our A high might have even been the best hand, or has he called my raise with a pp 55-JJ and either hit a set or has the overpair and is protecting against the flush. Who knows. Unless he comments in this thread haha.

Once again, thanks for the feedback. I do keep wondering if I had called and won the hand a 60k stack would have been mighty nice ;)

• Options
    edited February 2014
    There is something very nice about being super stacked towards the end of a BH. All the big head prizes are up for grabs now. We can afford to take flips and potentially bust quite a few people en route to a deep finish/FT/victory. Thats one of the reasons I'd call off here. That, and I'm a total fish!
  • Options
    cenachavcenachav Member Posts: 2,681
    edited February 2014
    For me it depends on how much the min cash means to you.  The toruny will pay £30-£40 for the next 30 or so places so fold if that means a lot to your stack.  If not call in a nano second and go for the big stack and the FT where all the money is.

If I would be in that spot then I'm calling but I can understand the fold.  Oppo also knows it is on the bubble and when I call I expect to be ahead already a good amount of the time.  The question is why is he shoving.  If he had a value hand surely the best way to play it would be putting out a small bet or letting you lead out as you were the aggressor pre
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The more i think about it, the more i think it was an outright bluff. the money is obviously nice, i ended up winning £180 overall (cheeky brag) but my goal is to take down a main event. Ive cashed a few times and had an 8th and a 3rd place finish. which isnt bad going considering i dont play them that much. With that in mind i thought if i folded here i would find a better spot later. on reflection if i want to take down a main event i guess i have to make calls in these situations. 
  • Options
    Batkin88Batkin88 Member Posts: 1,682
    edited February 2014
    Snap it off you don't play to min cash