You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

limping into the pot

timebomb10timebomb10 Member Posts: 202
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
can english people play poker what is the point in limping into a pot , HIDE  strength no ur inviting everyone to come into the pot with you making your chances weak even with AA . i see ppl limping in and then sum 1 raise and gess what they all still call no wonder the americans have more sucsess then english , NEED TO learn the fundamentals off poker . you all seem 2 play like its facebook poker and limping with raggy aces and sucking out ive only played two tournaments on here and won 1 ov them but as for cash games been getting sucked out by the same standards you see with your friends think i will never play cash games on here from now , can i just say 2 the small few on here who will read this that play super tight aggresive and you will see your money shoot up

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2010
    comments will be read
  • Options
    debdobs_67debdobs_67 Member Posts: 3,615
    edited January 2010
    hi mate welcome to sky poker lol you will learn.debs xx
  • Options
    TalonTalon Member Posts: 1,621
    edited January 2010
     just 3 things to say about your post.

1) it is their money they can play anyway they want
    2) There is no one correct way of playing only lots of wrong ones
    3) your judgements seem to come from a very small sample size, Check out lots of hands at all levels and you will see lots of different styles
  • Options
    apollo_11apollo_11 Member Posts: 969
    edited January 2010
    Well said Talon.

Any player can play anyway they want to.

I sometimes limp into pots with big hands to maximise my winnings if they stand up or improve.
    I also min bet or raise big with the same hand. Variety is the spice of life.

Surely, it is up to the player what they do with there hand. I am sure it doesn't state in any book how to play every hand in every position. If everyone played that way, thing become to predictable.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    yes but 3 handed with aa   u only have 55 % chance to win surely 2 maximise ur money you dont wanna limp ?? and get 5 to 6 callers , just to fold aa knowing your beat but then most players wouldnt be able 2 fold them so you would be beat and if you want varience in your play try omaha alot more outs if you know how 2 work them out not critising people and the way they play i just hate ppl limping when there willing 2 call a raise serves no justice you want 2 show strengh not show weakness
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: limping into the pot:
    Well said Talon. Any player can play anyway they want to. I sometimes limp into pots with big hands to maximise my winnings if they stand up or improve. I also min bet or raise big with the same hand. Variety is the spice of life. Surely, it is up to the player what they do with there hand. I am sure it doesn't state in any book how to play every hand in every position. If everyone played that way, thing become to predictable.
    Posted by apollo_11
    ok apollo will you limp into a pot utg with AA,you keep posting you play abc poker.or is there something wrong with the alphabet.debs xx
  • Options
    edited January 2010
       Firstly raising and showing strength does not maximise your winnings, it only maximises your chances of winning the pot. Secondly limping and then calling a raise can be a cheaper way of getting to the flop than raising due to the possibility of being 3-bet. Thirdly if people are calling the raise after limping it is because the raise was not high enough to price them out of calling.And fourthly the key to good poker is not to continually show strength but to mix up your game so you can not be read, showing strength when you are both strong and weak, and showing weakness when you are both strong and weak.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ov course it maxamises your winnings if u win the pot u = a winning player :l if your guna get 3 bet u have 2 have a strong enough hand anyway 2 call :l 3rdly you dont want the raise 2 be so big that every 1 folds but as you know if 2 call they all call :l you cant really be a good poker player if you play with a 7,2 off suit (worst poker hand) and hit full house on flop  witch is like about 465/1 ov hitting  makes you so good that lol , mixing it up is playing STRONG poker but only SOMETIMES GOING in with say 8,5 ov hearts not all the time  i can see what your saying but you dont see pros going in all the time with rubbish or they wouldnt be where they are
  • Options
    edited January 2010
       Firstly raising and showing strength does not maximise your winnings, it only maximises your chances of winning the pot. Secondly limping and then calling a raise can be a cheaper way of getting to the flop than raising due to the possibility of being 3-bet. Thirdly if people are calling the raise after limping it is because the raise was not high enough to price them out of calling.And fourthly the key to good poker is not to continually show strength but to mix up your game so you can not be read, showing strength when you are both strong and weak, and showing weakness when you are both strong and weak.
    Posted by Talon
    so if you limp in utg with AA and get five callers and no raise you will think youve played the hand well yes?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    lol :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    from what hes saying he would ov played it well :l
  • Options
    HartshorNHartshorN Member Posts: 616
    edited January 2010
    If english can't play poker.

American's don't know gramma.

WOULD IT HURT TO USE A FEW FULL STOPS AND COMMA'S
  • Options
    edited January 2010
      Well it seems you just want to argue and insult other players. I have spoken in generalities and have no point mentioned my own playing style. I have deliberately not mentioned individual hands because that is pointless and yet you wish to use individual hands to argue against me. You obviosly have no interest in any opinion that doesnt agree with your own so i will not waste my time on you anymore.
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited January 2010
    If english can't play poker. American's don't know gramma. WOULD IT HURT TO USE A FEW FULL STOPS AND COMMA'S
    Posted by HartshorN
    now that is just being picky,lol dav
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i am english and read MANY  books 40 in all about poker i have said i can see what you mean but disagree with you and thats where i stand with that , i am not here to belittle people i just cant work out in my head why every1 limps on this  site 
    Ace On The River (Barry Greenstein)
    An Investigation Of An Adaptive Poker Player (Graham Kendall & Mark Willdig)
    Approximating Game-Theoretic Optimal Strategies For Full-Scale Poker (D. Billings)
    Bluffing Beyond Poker (Johannes Horner, Nicolas Sahuguet)
    Body Language & Poker (Allan Pease)
    Caro\'s Book of Poker Tells (Mike Caro)
    Championship No-Limit & Pot-Limit Hold\'em (T.J. Cloutier & Tom McEvoy)
    Collection Of Shorthanded Limit Hold\'em Poker Articles
    David Sklansky - The Eight Mistakes In Poker
    Doyle Brunson\'s Super System - A Course in Power Poker (Doyle Brunson)
    Doyle Brunson\'s Super System 2 - A Course in Power Poker (Doyle Brunson)
    Effective Short Term Opponent Exploitation In Simplified Poker (B Hoehn, F. Southey & R.C. Holte)
    First Step Poker (William T. Love)
    Full Tilt Poker - Tips from the Pros #01-#80
    Game Theory And AI - A Unified Approach To Poker Games (Thesis) (Frans Oliehoek)
    Golden Rules of Poker
    Harrington On Hold\'em (Volume 1; Strategic Play) (Dan Harrington)
    Harrington On Hold\'em (Volume 2; The Endgame) (Dan Harrington)
    Harrington On Hold\'em (Volume 3; The Workbook) (Dan Harrington - Poker ebook)
    Insider Secrets To Playing Texas Hold\'em Poker Online (Theo Cage)
    Internet Texas Hold\'em Winning Strategies From An Internet Pro (Matthew Hilger)
    Introduction To Probability of Poker (Charles M. Grinstead & J. Laurie Snell)
    Learning To Play Strong Poker (Jonathan Schaeffer)
    No Limit Hold \'em Theory and Practice (David Sklansky, Ed Miller)
    No Limit Hold\'em Secrets (Roy Rounder)
    Online No-Limit Texas Hold\'em Poker For Beginners (August O\' Meara)
    Phil Gordon\'s Little Green Book (Phil Gordon)
    Play Poker Like the Pros (Phil Hellmuth)
    Poker For Dummies (Richard D. Harroch & Lou Krieger)
    Small Stakes Hold\'em (Ed Miller, David Sklansky & Mason Malmuth)
    Texas Hold\'em Poker Odds Handbook
    Texas Hold\'em Secrets (Rory Monahan a.k.a. Roy Rounder)
    The Education Of A Poker Player (Herbert Osborne Yardley)
    The Mathematics Of Gambling (Edward O. Thorpe)
    The Theory of Poker (Seventh printing, Complete) (David Sklansky)
    Winning Low Limit Hold\'em (Lee Jones)
    Winning Secrets Of Online Poker (Douglas W. Frye & Curtis D. Frye)

all the books i have read and own they have teached me and will teach any struggaling poker player im here 2 
    not argue PPL OFF AT ALL
  • Options
    bigflop1bigflop1 Member Posts: 1,034
    edited January 2010
    If english can't play poker. American's don't know gramma. WOULD IT HURT TO USE A FEW FULL STOPS AND COMMA'S
    Posted by HartshorN
    lol
  • Options
    hawk7112hawk7112 Member Posts: 3,627
    edited January 2010
    i am english and read MANY  books 40 in all about poker i have said i can see what you mean but disagree with you and thats where i stand with that , i am not here to belittle people i just cant work out in my head why every1 limps on this  site  Ace On The River (Barry Greenstein) An Investigation Of An Adaptive Poker Player (Graham Kendall & Mark Willdig) Approximating Game-Theoretic Optimal Strategies For Full-Scale Poker (D. Billings) Bluffing Beyond Poker (Johannes Horner, Nicolas Sahuguet) Body Language & Poker (Allan Pease) Caro\'s Book of Poker Tells (Mike Caro) Championship No-Limit & Pot-Limit Hold\'em (T.J. Cloutier & Tom McEvoy) Collection Of Shorthanded Limit Hold\'em Poker Articles David Sklansky - The Eight Mistakes In Poker Doyle Brunson\'s Super System - A Course in Power Poker (Doyle Brunson) Doyle Brunson\'s Super System 2 - A Course in Power Poker (Doyle Brunson) Effective Short Term Opponent Exploitation In Simplified Poker (B Hoehn, F. Southey & R.C. Holte) First Step Poker (William T. Love) Full Tilt Poker - Tips from the Pros #01-#80 Game Theory And AI - A Unified Approach To Poker Games (Thesis) (Frans Oliehoek) Golden Rules of Poker Harrington On Hold\'em (Volume 1; Strategic Play) (Dan Harrington) Harrington On Hold\'em (Volume 2; The Endgame) (Dan Harrington) Harrington On Hold\'em (Volume 3; The Workbook) (Dan Harrington - Poker ebook) Insider Secrets To Playing Texas Hold\'em Poker Online (Theo Cage) Internet Texas Hold\'em Winning Strategies From An Internet Pro (Matthew Hilger) Introduction To Probability of Poker (Charles M. Grinstead & J. Laurie Snell) Learning To Play Strong Poker (Jonathan Schaeffer) No Limit Hold \'em Theory and Practice (David Sklansky, Ed Miller) No Limit Hold\'em Secrets (Roy Rounder) Online No-Limit Texas Hold\'em Poker For Beginners (August O\' Meara) Phil Gordon\'s Little Green Book (Phil Gordon) Play Poker Like the Pros (Phil Hellmuth) Poker For Dummies (Richard D. Harroch & Lou Krieger) Small Stakes Hold\'em (Ed Miller, David Sklansky & Mason Malmuth) Texas Hold\'em Poker Odds Handbook Texas Hold\'em Secrets (Rory Monahan a.k.a. Roy Rounder) The Education Of A Poker Player (Herbert Osborne Yardley) The Mathematics Of Gambling (Edward O. Thorpe) The Theory of Poker (Seventh printing, Complete) (David Sklansky) Winning Low Limit Hold\'em (Lee Jones) Winning Secrets Of Online Poker (Douglas W. Frye & Curtis D. Frye) all the books i have read and own they have teached me and will teach any struggaling poker player im here 2 not argue PPL OFF AT ALL
    Posted by timebomb10

Have u read OH-MA-GOD by Talon?

Great read

• Options
    MICKYBLUEMICKYBLUE Member Posts: 2,035
    edited January 2010
    yes but 3 handed with aa   u only have 55 % chance to win surely 2 maximise ur money you dont wanna limp ?? and get 5 to 6 callers , just to fold aa knowing your beat but then most players wouldnt be able 2 fold them so you would be beat and if you want varience in your play try omaha alot more outs if you know how 2 work them out not critising people and the way they play i just hate ppl limping when there willing 2 call a raise serves no justice you want 2 show strengh not show weakness
    Posted by timebomb10
    errrr am i missing something????
    i think doyle said if u cant beat some1 who check 2 u who can u beat. imo dont tap the bowl plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2010
    i am english and read MANY  books 40 in all about poker i have said i can see what you mean but disagree with you and thats where i stand with that , i am not here to belittle people i just cant work out in my head why every1 limps on this  site  Ace On The River (Barry Greenstein) An Investigation Of An Adaptive Poker Player (Graham Kendall & Mark Willdig) Approximating Game-Theoretic Optimal Strategies For Full-Scale Poker (D. Billings) Bluffing Beyond Poker (Johannes Horner, Nicolas Sahuguet) Body Language & Poker (Allan Pease) Caro\'s Book of Poker Tells (Mike Caro) Championship No-Limit & Pot-Limit Hold\'em (T.J. Cloutier & Tom McEvoy) Collection Of Shorthanded Limit Hold\'em Poker Articles David Sklansky - The Eight Mistakes In Poker Doyle Brunson\'s Super System - A Course in Power Poker (Doyle Brunson) Doyle Brunson\'s Super System 2 - A Course in Power Poker (Doyle Brunson) Effective Short Term Opponent Exploitation In Simplified Poker (B Hoehn, F. Southey & R.C. Holte) First Step Poker (William T. Love) Full Tilt Poker - Tips from the Pros #01-#80 Game Theory And AI - A Unified Approach To Poker Games (Thesis) (Frans Oliehoek) Golden Rules of Poker Harrington On Hold\'em (Volume 1; Strategic Play) (Dan Harrington) Harrington On Hold\'em (Volume 2; The Endgame) (Dan Harrington) Harrington On Hold\'em (Volume 3; The Workbook) (Dan Harrington - Poker ebook) Insider Secrets To Playing Texas Hold\'em Poker Online (Theo Cage) Internet Texas Hold\'em Winning Strategies From An Internet Pro (Matthew Hilger) Introduction To Probability of Poker (Charles M. Grinstead & J. Laurie Snell) Learning To Play Strong Poker (Jonathan Schaeffer) No Limit Hold \'em Theory and Practice (David Sklansky, Ed Miller) No Limit Hold\'em Secrets (Roy Rounder) Online No-Limit Texas Hold\'em Poker For Beginners (August O\' Meara) Phil Gordon\'s Little Green Book (Phil Gordon) Play Poker Like the Pros (Phil Hellmuth) Poker For Dummies (Richard D. Harroch & Lou Krieger) Small Stakes Hold\'em (Ed Miller, David Sklansky & Mason Malmuth) Texas Hold\'em Poker Odds Handbook Texas Hold\'em Secrets (Rory Monahan a.k.a. Roy Rounder) The Education Of A Poker Player (Herbert Osborne Yardley) The Mathematics Of Gambling (Edward O. Thorpe) The Theory of Poker (Seventh printing, Complete) (David Sklansky) Winning Low Limit Hold\'em (Lee Jones) Winning Secrets Of Online Poker (Douglas W. Frye & Curtis D. Frye) all the books i have read and own they have teached me and will teach any struggaling poker player im here 2 not argue PPL OFF AT ALL
    Posted by timebomb10
    Do you work for Amazon?
  • Options
    bushmasterbushmaster Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: limping into the pot : lol
    Posted by daz231023
    make that 2......lol