You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

limping into the pot

Comments

• Options
    J-HartiganJ-Hartigan Member Posts: 2,756
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: limping into the pot:
    lol new it would get a few ppl angry enough 2 read on :) then they say i am american ha because of my grammer :) whats your opinion about limping in when there willing 2 call a raise personally i think it serves no perpose and then they have no idea where they are in the hand unless they hit strong on flop ov course
    Posted by timebomb10
    I agree with Vince (MereNovice) that limping with monsters can be profitable, especially if you've got a squeeze-happy lagtard to your left!

However, I'm not a fan of limping in ANY position (except MAYBE the small blind) with raggy aces, or junky suited Ks and Qs (e.g. Kd5d or Qc7c).  Personally, I put these hands in the "pump or dump" category.
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: limping into the pot : I agree with Vince (MereNovice) that limping with monsters can be profitable, especially if you've got a squeeze-happy lagtard to your left! However, I'm not a fan of limping in ANY position (except MAYBE the small blind) with raggy aces, or junky suited Ks and Qs (e.g. Kd5d or Qc7c).  Personally, I put these hands in the "pump or dump" category.
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Hi James

I can count on the fingers of 1 hand how many times I have limped into a pot, it currently stands at 0, and shall remain so :)
  • Options
    timebomb10timebomb10 Member Posts: 202
    edited January 2010
    limping with AA if theres a reraise after you is fine if table is aggresive , but still why not raise hopefully 2 get reraise preflop or just called by 1 or 2 instead of giving people the chance 2 see the flop 4 next 2 nothing :l i see it as if ur gunna play any hand play it strong say 8,5 ov hearts raise minimise the ppl in the pot and thn if the flop give u open enders or flush draws ur knowing the other guy maybe has a pair or ak aq and so forth limping serves no perpose , I AM RIGHT and anyone who disagrees is wrong lol
  • Options
    MICKYBLUEMICKYBLUE Member Posts: 2,035
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: limping into the pot : how you gonna reraise utg when all 5 call ya? after youve limped?
    Posted by dav1964
    i think i said aggressive table.. u wont get 5 callers @ least 1 raise which u reraise, if not just moan and groan about ur bad beat lol,, blame the website, kick the cat........
  • Options
    GaryQQQGaryQQQ Member Posts: 6,804
    edited January 2010
    According to an publicly available database timebomb10 has played 4 MTT tournements on Sky Poker.

He failed to cash in his first three, only suceeding at his 4th attempt. To be fair, he did get 1st place, but it was a £1 buy-in event, so he was probably playing against a field consisting mainly of recreational opponents.

In his biggest investment, a £5 + 75p buy-in event, he only came 49th out of the 75 entrants, failing to win any money at all when faced with a slightly stonger field.

Surely if it were so easy for timebomb10 to win here on Sky Poker, and if us British players were so weak, he would be cleaning up in the big buy-in tourneys? 

I conclude that timebomb is just a wind-up merchant who should be ignored!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ur remarks are pointless every1 knows in mtt u need a bit of lady luck on ur side thts why u only play with 5% ov your bankroll and all ive said is WHY limp when your willing 2 call a raise not knowing where you stand in the hand and for tht ive only played 2 since studying poker and came 1st in 1 so you cant critisize  anything and im on about  CASH GAMES HERE so your comments are not needed thankyou
  • Options
    J-HartiganJ-Hartigan Member Posts: 2,756
    edited January 2010
    I've clearly failed (just like a United Nations peacekeeper) at maintaining civility in this thread!

So, I shall withdraw...

But, before I go, I just want to say I find it really tacky when people post players' (often misleading) SharkScope stats on the forum.
  • Options
    acebarry10acebarry10 Member Posts: 7,556
    edited January 2010
    I've clearly failed (just like a United Nations peacekeeper) at maintaining civility in this thread! So, I shall withdraw... But, before I go, I just want to say I find it really tacky when people post players' (often misleading) SharkScope stats on the forum.
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Hi James

Yup, the publishing of that site stats are frowned upon on the forum, they are unreliable.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    no its true i played 2 when i was starting to get the aspects ov poker right so then stoped playing , then studyed and came no where in 1 even though i got the chips in with best hand ie (ladyluck ) was not with me, and then won 1 so that shrkscope thing 2 people have said about is very pointless indeed
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    it just seems 2 me most people have played facebook poker and have gotten up 2 a million chips or so and thought god POKER is 2 easy and then when real money at stake the aspects of poker is completly differant and thats where i stand with people just limping ,
  • Options
    DiggerManDiggerMan Member Posts: 1,027
    edited January 2010
    Hi Timebomb, a couple of polite questions for you!
    How long have you been playing / "watching the tables" on Sky?
    What level of cash games have you been playing and "getting sucked out" on?

The answers to these questions would seem to be fundamental to the points you are making!
    You say you have the br "to play at any level" and yet you've played small stake mtts where there are always going to be be "limpers" and "chancers"! If you've also been playing small stakes cash then the same would apply, although if ,as you say, you've been playing "$5 - $10" cash elsewhere then you SHOULD be at a level to be able to adapt your play and take their money!

Also, you obviously wanted a heated discussion by the way you worded your OP so don't be surprised or angered by the heated responses you've been receiving!
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited January 2010
    In Response to limping into the pot:
    can english people play poker what is the point in limping into a pot , HIDE  strength no ur inviting everyone to come into the pot with you making your chances weak even with AA . i see ppl limping in and then sum 1 raise and gess what they all still call no wonder the americans have more sucsess then english, NEED TO learn the fundamentals off poker . you all seem 2 play like its facebook poker and limping with raggy aces and sucking out ive only played two tournaments on here and won 1 ov them but as for cash games been getting sucked out by the same standards you see with your friends think i will never play cash games on here from now , can i just say 2 the small few on here who will read this that play super tight aggresive and you will see your money shoot up
    Posted by timebomb10
    rightttttttttt  mmmmmmmmm !

so from your observations on skypoker,

your research .0000000000001  percentage of poker hands you have seen,

you have come to the conclusion highlighted above .

mmmmmmmm  righttttttttttttt ?
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited January 2010
    you making a come back irish? :)
  • Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: limping into the pot : Hi James I can count on the fingers of 1 hand how many times I have limped into a pot, it currently stands at 0 , and shall remain so :)
    Posted by acebarry10
    I can vouch for you here mate - its all in everytime lol
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    as i said i cant really play on here until i buy another computer because it runs so slow it runs out ov time almost every hand , ive been watching for 2 days now and by this time i have made an assumption ov the way most ov you play ie facebook poker each to there own minds yep you cant say anything about my mind as its an opinion

AND i do have the bankroll 2 play but would have to invest in a whole new computer and i see this as in significant when all the other programs work fine , 

anyway this is not a topic about me its about limping into the pot but if anybody wants 2 say somthing about me im more then willing 2 answer

• Options
    loonytoonsloonytoons Member Posts: 4,270
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: limping into the pot : Hi James Yup, the publishing of that site stats are frowned upon on the forum, they are unreliable.
    Posted by acebarry10
    i just barred mine lol
  • Options
    kalooki8kalooki8 Member Posts: 442
    edited January 2010
    as i said i cant really play on here until i buy another computer because it runs so slow it runs out ov time almost every hand , ive been watching for 2 days now and by this time i have made an assumption ov the way most ov you play ie facebook poker each to there own minds yep you cant say anything about my mind as its an opinion AND i do have the bankroll 2 play but would have to invest in a whole new computer and i see this as in significant when all the other programs work fine ,  anyway this is not a topic about me its about limping into the pot but if anybody wants 2 say somthing about me im more then willing 2 answer
    Posted by timebomb10
    Been reading with interest Timebomb - been on the site a few months and do see some of what you talk about but mainly people raise with good hands.

1 - Do not lose the fact that people come on here for fun as well as to learn, if your playing with that Eric bloke you talk about then not sure why you wish to play on here in 5 pound MTT's and expect the same level of play so you always know where you are in a hand.

2 - i do like to limp with a big hand when I'm relatively short stacked in a MTT - prefer to gamble to double/treble up than just take out blinds

3 - I agree with JH that nobodys stats should be posted on here.

Hope you get a new pc soon and if we're so bad you should be soon cleaning up

Take care
  • Options
    KnackersYaKnackersYa Member Posts: 468
    edited January 2010
    Just a thought...

Limpers used to do my nut in, made me play bad cards out of position, made me attempt the most insane bluffs.

In other words, they PUT ME OFF MY GAME.

Try it sometime, you'd be surprised how it can make the most solid of players a bit tilty.

• Options
    edited January 2010
    yep  i had a super fast laptop but spilt coffee on it after a big session so im stuck at the mo glad to hear someone  sees some ov what i talk about . appriciate the comment thanks
  • Options
    MICKYBLUEMICKYBLUE Member Posts: 2,035
    edited January 2010
    Just a thought... Limpers used to do my nut in, made me play bad cards out of position, made me attempt the most insane bluffs. In other words, they PUT ME OFF MY GAME. Try it sometime, you'd be surprised how it can make the most solid of players a bit tilty.
    Posted by KnackersYa
    2nd...... if people cant beat bad players who can u beat