You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

limping into the pot

Comments

• Options
    apollo_11apollo_11 Member Posts: 969
    edited January 2010
    I would not limp UTG with AA, that is only inviting trouble.
    There are times and positions where limping can be good with a strong hand.
    Just because I play ABC poker doesn't mean that I can't play differently when I want to. That way my game is not so easy to read.
  • Options
    MICKYBLUEMICKYBLUE Member Posts: 2,035
    edited January 2010
    i want people 2 think im playing a b c poker... and on an aggressive table, why not limp reraise with pocket aces ??? and ive only read doyles super system..... any advice on any other book as good as that 1???
  • Options
    TommyDTommyD Member Posts: 4,389
    edited January 2010
    Hey Timebomb

Welcome to SkyPoker and welcome to the forums.  There can be a lot of limping on certain tables, what level cash were you playing?
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: limping into the pot:
    i want people 2 think im playing a b c poker... and on an aggressive table, why not limp reraise with pocket aces ??? and ive only read doyles super system..... any advice on any other book as good as that 1???
    Posted by MICKYBLUE
    how you gonna reraise utg when all 5 call ya? after youve limped?
  • Options
    dantb10dantb10 Member Posts: 583
    edited January 2010
    U say u have read all these books on poker, and thus are experienced.

Then u find bad players limp calling with ace rag oop pre flop and you decide to moan about it!!!

I think you are missing the point. Put me in these games anyday!

• Options
    FlashFlushFlashFlush Member Posts: 4,494
    edited January 2010
    Looking on your sharkscope its shows you have only played 4 tourneys with an average stake of $5. Therefor I presume your cash levels will be 5p/10 or 10p/20p. How can you possibly judge a whole poker site... Infact a whole NATION by the actions of a few individuals in a few certain pots at micro stakes level. If you have spent that much time reading up on poker and have such wisdom, why are you not playing the higher stakes against players who take it more seriously!!
  • Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited January 2010
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with limping UTG with AA. It is a high risk strategy that can be very profitable.
    It is generally a more successful strategy on an aggressive table and I certainly wouldn't recommend it on a fully passive table. The ideal scenario would be on a generally passive table with an aggressive player in the BB who you feel confident is likely to make a "squeeze play".
    By extension, you can then also limp UTG with any two cards if you think that your opponents are likely to put you on AA when you make this play. This sort of play, however, requires a high level of understanding of your opponents and their opinion of you.
    As people have already said, it would be a dull game if we all played the same way and each player is entitled to play their cards any way that they like.
  • Options
    Eagle26Eagle26 Member Posts: 431
    edited January 2010
     Response to Re: limping into the pot:
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with limping UTG with AA. It is a high risk strategy that can be very profitable. It is generally a more successful strategy on an aggressive table and I certainly wouldn't recommend it on a fully passive table. The ideal scenario would be on a generally passive table with an aggressive player in the BB who you feel confident is likely to make a "squeeze play". By extension, you can then also limp UTG with any two cards if you think that your opponents are likely to put you on AA when you make this play. This sort of play, however, requires a high level of understanding of your opponents and their opinion of you. As people have already said, it would be a dull game if we all played the same way and each player is entitled to play their cards any way that they like.
    Posted by MereNovice
    100% on the money!! i was just reading through this thread and was gonna post pretty much exactly the same thing!! limpin utg or any position with AA KK QQ is a move i always like to throw in now and then to vary my play up and i would be definatly more inclined to limp utg on aggressive table! If u do the same thing with the same hand everytime it will soon be picked up on and punished! it all boils down to your ability and level of thinking! many people are set in there ways and have only one boring obvious way of playing and think they know it all when infact they will never understand or be able to understand the different levels of thinking in the game! as to the yank who started this thread you mentioned that you wouldnt see the pro's limpin with big starting hands or playin with junk? may i suggest you get yourself a copy of high stakes poker seasons 1-5 (which includes many of the pro's who's books u have read) u may be very surprised!!
  • Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    edited January 2010
    i am english and read MANY  books 40 in all about poker i have said i can see what you mean but disagree with you and thats where i stand with that , i am not here to belittle people i just cant work out in my head why every1 limps on this  site  Ace On The River (Barry Greenstein) An Investigation Of An Adaptive Poker Player (Graham Kendall & Mark Willdig) Approximating Game-Theoretic Optimal Strategies For Full-Scale Poker (D. Billings) Bluffing Beyond Poker (Johannes Horner, Nicolas Sahuguet) Body Language & Poker (Allan Pease) Caro\'s Book of Poker Tells (Mike Caro) Championship No-Limit & Pot-Limit Hold\'em (T.J. Cloutier & Tom McEvoy) Collection Of Shorthanded Limit Hold\'em Poker Articles David Sklansky - The Eight Mistakes In Poker Doyle Brunson\'s Super System - A Course in Power Poker (Doyle Brunson) Doyle Brunson\'s Super System 2 - A Course in Power Poker (Doyle Brunson) Effective Short Term Opponent Exploitation In Simplified Poker (B Hoehn, F. Southey & R.C. Holte) First Step Poker (William T. Love) Full Tilt Poker - Tips from the Pros #01-#80 Game Theory And AI - A Unified Approach To Poker Games (Thesis) (Frans Oliehoek) Golden Rules of Poker Harrington On Hold\'em (Volume 1; Strategic Play) (Dan Harrington) Harrington On Hold\'em (Volume 2; The Endgame) (Dan Harrington) Harrington On Hold\'em (Volume 3; The Workbook) (Dan Harrington - Poker ebook) Insider Secrets To Playing Texas Hold\'em Poker Online (Theo Cage) Internet Texas Hold\'em Winning Strategies From An Internet Pro (Matthew Hilger) Introduction To Probability of Poker (Charles M. Grinstead & J. Laurie Snell) Learning To Play Strong Poker (Jonathan Schaeffer) No Limit Hold \'em Theory and Practice (David Sklansky, Ed Miller) No Limit Hold\'em Secrets (Roy Rounder) Online No-Limit Texas Hold\'em Poker For Beginners (August O\' Meara) Phil Gordon\'s Little Green Book (Phil Gordon) Play Poker Like the Pros (Phil Hellmuth) Poker For Dummies (Richard D. Harroch & Lou Krieger) Small Stakes Hold\'em (Ed Miller, David Sklansky & Mason Malmuth) Texas Hold\'em Poker Odds Handbook Texas Hold\'em Secrets (Rory Monahan a.k.a. Roy Rounder) The Education Of A Poker Player (Herbert Osborne Yardley) The Mathematics Of Gambling (Edward O. Thorpe) The Theory of Poker (Seventh printing, Complete) (David Sklansky) Winning Low Limit Hold\'em (Lee Jones) Winning Secrets Of Online Poker (Douglas W. Frye & Curtis D. Frye) all the books i have read and own they have teached me and will teach any struggaling poker player im here 2 not argue PPL OFF AT ALL
    Posted by timebomb10
    nice collection sir----  but have you read "poker books, you avin a larf?'---by oynutter--(latest blogs--may contain nuts--archive)
  • Options
    scrumdownscrumdown Member Posts: 1,609
    edited January 2010
    its a wonder u find time to play poker with reading all them books lol
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,658
    edited January 2010
    i think limping utg with aa is fine on a full ring table only for the sole purpose of a big re-raise if its raised after your limp,if you get more than one caller be prepaired to lay it down unless you,ve gone allin of couse
  • Options
    timebomb10timebomb10 Member Posts: 202
    edited January 2010
    i have read all ur comments as i got shot in afgan medically discharged from the army ive had alot ov time to study poker i have the bankroll 2 play any limit but tend not 2 as i still havnt recovered from my injury hense no work :l , ive bin watching tables and they seem 2 do this at any blinds dont get inqusitive about my stats here as i am new 2 sky poker and havnt really played significant play to call me a 5p 10p player lol tht is just a joke , poker stars i play 5 doller 10 doller and full tilt i play 5 doller 10 doller with the likes of eric liu and so thorth , i dont know y but my comp seems 2 run so slow on sky poker but every other program it runs smoothly . so im not guna play big here until i fancie buying a new comp :l

any way 2 get 2 your point yep limping is fine with AA if you no an aggresive player will raise with any 2 tht is called a trap do you think im tht much ov an idiot lol but ive seen it time and time and time again on sky poker ppl limping when they should raise enough said about that

• Options
    edited January 2010
    so please stop saying i work 4 amazon i want a general discussion not idiots making stupid jokes
  • Options
    J-HartiganJ-Hartigan Member Posts: 2,756
    edited January 2010
    i have read all ur comments as i got shot in afgan medically discharged from the army ive had alot ov time to study poker i have the bankroll 2 play any limit but tend not 2 as i still havnt recovered from my injury hense no work :l , ive bin watching tables and they seem 2 do this at any blinds dont get inqusitive about my stats here as i am new 2 sky poker and havnt really played significant play to call me a 5p 10p player lol tht is just a joke , poker stars i play 5 doller 10 doller and full tilt i play 5 doller 10 doller with the likes of eric liu and so thorth , i dont know y but my comp seems 2 run so slow on sky poker but every other program it runs smoothly . so im not guna play big here until i fancie buying a new comp :l any way 2 get 2 your point yep limping is fine with AA if you no an aggresive player will raise with any 2 tht is called a trap do you think im tht much ov an idiot lol but ive seen it time and time and time again on sky poker ppl limping when they should raise enough said about that
    Posted by timebomb10
    I think this is another example of someone new to Sky Poker making a legitimate point, but failing to articulate their argument in the best manner!

timebomb10 - can I politely suggest that you curb the confrontational tone a tad?  It's a good discussion point, so let the debate continue...

• Options
    edited January 2010
    maybe  i say stuff i shouldnt but dont appriciate jokes about ive got to much time on my hands i will calm the tone  as i think its a good debate and would like it to continue thanks 4 telling me didnt realise i was confrontational :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    maybe  i say stuff i shouldnt but dont appriciate jokes about ive got to much time on my hands i will calm the tone  as i think its a good debate and would like it to continue thanks 4 telling me didnt realise i was confrontational :)
    Posted by timebomb10
    No probs.  I think it was your opening gambit - "can english people play poker" - which ruffled a few feathers :-)
  • Options
    TENOFSPADETENOFSPADE Member Posts: 426
    edited January 2010
    so please stop saying i work 4 amazon i want a general discussion not idiots making stupid jokes
    Posted by timebomb10
     100% agree with u here timebomb10 ,that greghogg is a stupid idiot lol lol lol
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    lol new it would get a few ppl angry enough 2 read on :) then they say i am american ha because of my grammer :) whats your opinion about limping in when there willing 2 call a raise personally i think it serves no perpose and then they have no idea where they are in the hand unless they hit strong on flop ov course
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: limping into the pot :  100% agree with u here timebomb10 ,that greghogg is a stupid idiot lol lol lol
    Posted by TENOFSPADE
    Don't you start!!!

To be fair, it wasn't a bad joke ... for Greg :-)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    lol new it would get a few ppl angry enough 2 read on :) then they say i am american ha because of my grammer :) whats your opinion about limping in when there willing 2 call a raise personally i think it serves no perpose and then they have no idea where they are in the hand unless they hit strong on flop ov course