You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

tables freezing

burtyboyburtyboy Member Posts: 23
edited February 2010 in Community Help & Advice
noticed in the last couple of days every so often the table your playing on just freezes, if you leave it to right itself it just stays the same, happened three times today in mid hand, thought it must be my pc but talking to some other players it's happened to them today as well, very frustrating when you've got money in a pot.

Comments

• Options
    teachaiteachai Member Posts: 83
    edited January 2010
    Ì blame the cold weather.

But to be serious , its either your pc or internet connection.
    I have a laptop which its not possible to play on. 
    Also only do 1 table and don't have anything else running apart from antivirus
  • Options
    edited January 2010

the strange thing is the clocks still running on the table and you can click on anything else on the site and it runs as normal but the table your on is just stuck, think the fact it's happening to others says it's a site problem, i've got full width braodband and a pc that would run nasa.

• Options
    EENEEN Member Posts: 135
    edited January 2010
    Hey Burty,

Try upgrading your flash player to the latest version, if you havent done so already.

I get the same problem with a high end gaming computer, so i'm fairly sure its not a hardware problem.

I think mine is more network related though, my connection is about as reliable as Shadrack Dingle
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ok mate, i'll gice it a go
  • Options
    OldhandLukOldhandLuk Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2010
    In Response to tables freezing:
    noticed in the last couple of days every so often the table your playing on just freezes, if you leave it to right itself it just stays the same, happened three times today in mid hand, thought it must be my pc but talking to some other players it's happened to them today as well, very frustrating when you've got money in a pot.
    Posted by burtyboy

Yeah, well, welcome to the 'Wobbly Tables Club', guys. I've been having these problems for weeks now and had given up on Sky (they even gave me some comp). Last week they started me (again!) on one of their 'beginner programs' (a £1 bonus for every day played for a week), so I thought: 'aye, go on then, let's see if things have improved. Well, I'm sad to say, they haven't...'

Yesterday the wobbling started after about 45 mins but I'd had some good wins so I got outta there. Not too bad.

Today on a 5 p/10 p table it auto-folded (timed out) the second hand, so I left immediately, cause I know what it's like when the wobbling starts: pulling your own teeth would be less painful!

People here have been attributing the problems from their computers or their network to Sky software or to the colour of their knickers, the truth is that no one really knows for sure. The first three weeks with Sky were a dream, now it's just playing on full tilt. I'll try and cash my bonuses and then I'm off to whatever with a download, not this flashdance cr*p!

• Options
    edited January 2010
    played for 5-6 hours yesterday and made a point of asking players if they'd had the same prob and the answer in most cases was yes, two actually got froze out of a hands i was playing but strangely i myself had no problems at all yesterday on the two tables i played apart from playing bad poker!
    it certainly seems that early hours when theres only a couple of hundred seated everything works fine, it's after say 8 o'clock when player numbers start increasing that the problems start.
  • Options
    Sky_RichSky_Rich Member Posts: 3,837
    edited January 2010
    Hey guys,

i'm really sorry to hear of your problems while playing on the poker tables. i'm going to pass this on and see if i can get someone from the team to take a closer look and investigate your problems.

thanks for your patience on this
  • Options
    Sky_TechSky_Tech Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2010
    Frozen tables for individual players do tend to be down to internet connection. And at busier times - 6pm till 11pm being prime time the more people will experience slow down. It can even depend on what your neighbours are doing on the internet!

The Flash app can be rather resource intensive when running mutiple tables but it is very adaptable and does not require a download. You can play Sky Poker on any capable PC with Flash that is on the internet. We are however looking into a download version as this would provide better choice to players and a more solid playing base for those with certain issues.

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, tonight wasn't the worst one but it did time me out twice and I bailed out on the second time. Impossible to play half on 'tilt' because you expect the soft to go wobbly any moment and then invariably it does anyway....

If it depends on what 'my neighbour is doing', this system should be abandoned. I can't play this way. No conficence, no fun...
  • Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    edited January 2010
    my neighbour was having his dinner at the same time as I was playing a dym---he got brown sauce all over the table and I could'nt see my cards!!
  • Options
    Sky_TechSky_Tech Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2010
    If there are bandwidth issues then a download app would provide a more reliable game play- it should reduce the impact of line contention or brown source or whatever else those that share your line are doing.

It is being developed and once it is ready it will be released to live. If you can let me know the hand number of when you had an issue I can see if there is anything system related.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: tables freezing:
    If there are bandwidth issues then a download app would provide a more reliable game play- it should reduce the impact of line contention or brown source or whatever else those that share your line are doing. It is being developed and once it is ready it will be released to live. If you can let me know the hand number of when you had an issue I can see if there is anything system related.
    Posted by Sky_Tech

Thanks for that but I don't think hand numbers will solve much in my case: it might be helpful if a player could prove to have lost a considerable pot due to the problems but that's not been my case. And Sky did compensate me once but I can't keep claiming comp. without eventually being considered a 'whining milker'.

No, in my case the problem isn't really financial, it's just no fun playing in a mine field of expected an unprovoked 'time outs'. Sometimes the 'time out' has even occurred when the soft was unresponsive to my trying to type in the amount I wanted to bring to the table! There's no pattern though: there are clear periods where everything's fine, periods of 'sponginess' of the buttons and periods where premature 'timing out' is the norm, all at random. Sometimes when the green bar appears it's already just 1 mm from the gong!

I'm trying to play again tonight to stick to the bonus schedule but I'm not really looking forward to it!

• Options
    FishingPhiFishingPhi Member Posts: 73
    edited January 2010
    I totally agree with Sky_Tech regarding the internet connections, and have mentioned this several times in the past. The biggest problem is that competition is fierce within the ISP markets and now that almost every household has broadband of some description, the only way to create all these "budget" services is to cram more people onto shared lines and throttle their speeds. Typical examples of cheap and cheerful ISP's that receive a lot of complaints are:
    • Any company owned by Tiscali (includes Pipex, Bulldog, Nildram, etc)
    • TalkTalk
    • AOL
    • Orange
    • Plusnet
    • Sky
    I'm sure that there are loads of you out there who have dealt with these companies and have been pleased with the service, but the fact remains that they ARE cheap and cheerful. The biggest problem is that most people just sign up for any cheap "all in one" package and do not even know what sort of internet connection they will get. It also surprises me how many people will gladly sign up for 12 or 18 months' contract and then regret it when they realise that they are lumbered with a poor service and "tech support" based in Mumbai. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

I personally have NEVER signed up for any ISP with a contract longer than ONE month. That way, they HAVE to be good to keep your custom. Don't be ignorant when it comes to buying internet. Do some research: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top50.php
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There's no pattern though: there are clear periods where everything's fine, periods of 'sponginess' of the buttons and periods where premature 'timing out' is the norm, all at random. Sometimes when the green bar appears it's already just 1 mm from the gong!Posted by OldhandLuk
    Dare i say it, but that is DEFINATELY a problem your end. Be it internet lag or a low spec PC, it is not a software because bugs always show themselves within specific situations. Bugs don't occur randomly. I regularly play 4 tables at a time but had to buy a high spec PC to do so. I get very occasional problems (maybe once or twice per 1000 hands) but they are never software related.

Flash is not the most suitable language for a poker client but it IS operating system independent. I use Linux instead of Windows, so i find it a ideal, as do Apple Mac users.

@Sky_tech: What language are you using for the new downloadable client? Will it be Windows only? If not, i would be willing to do testing/bug reports on Linux if required...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: tables freezing : Dare i say it, but that is DEFINATELY a problem your end. Be it internet lag or a low spec PC, it is not a software because bugs always show themselves within specific situations. Bugs don't occur randomly. I regularly play 4 tables at a time but had to buy a high spec PC to do so. I get very occasional problems (maybe once or twice per 1000 hands) but they are never software related. Flash is not the most suitable language for a poker client but it IS operating system independent. I use Linux instead of Windows, so i find it a ideal, as do Apple Mac users. @Sky_tech: What language are you using for the new downloadable client? Will it be Windows only? If not, i would be willing to do testing/bug reports on Linux if required...
    Posted by FishingPhi

Same disaster tonight: first some 5p/10p H2H, lost a little. When some more came to that table after a few rounds I get Ace King unsuited on the button and it times me out! Another ace came down on the flop: hand number 0223276375. GRRRRR!!! Left after that, £2 poorer...

There are loads here who want to blame it on Internet connections, like PlusNet. Well, PlusNet isn't cheap and cheerful and I've been very happy with it, thank you very much. I used to have websites parked with them too and no problems worth mentioning. Good customer service too.

If Sky want to operate a system that so prone to lagging or whatever, so that only the best connections are playable, then that IS THEIR PROBLEM. Mine is a perfectly good ISP and I won't have it insulted for no reason: only Skypoker seems to have a problem with it.

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, PlusNet isn't cheap and cheerful and I've been very happy with it, thank you very much. I used to have websites parked with them too and no problems worth mentioning. Good customer service too.   If Sky want to operate a system that so prone to lagging or whatever, so that only the best connections are playable, then that IS THEIR PROBLEM. Mine is a perfectly good ISP and I won't have it insulted for no reason: only Skypoker seems to have a problem with it.
    Posted by OldhandLuk
    Well i guess you've been very lucky. Other customers disagree: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/products/244.html
    And anything less than £18 a month IS cheap and cheerful.
  • Options
    FINSFINS Member Posts: 1,080
    edited January 2010
    i also get lagging/freezing which happens approx once/twice a week i am on sky broadband top package and have top spec comp,very frustrating sometimes cannot even play just one table,when its ok can play 3 no probs,, i think sky are reducing the speed or something.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i also get lagging/freezing which happens approx once/twice a week i am on sky broadband top package and have top spec comp,very frustrating sometimes cannot even play just one table,when its ok can play 3 no probs,, i think sky are reducing the speed or something.
    Posted by FINS
    From http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk
    Sky Broadband Unlimited : £15 a month if you stop taking Sky Talk. Download speeds shown. You must subscribe to your chosen Broadband product for 12 months. Connect (up to 8Mb) at £17 pm is available to customers outside our network area (£30 set up cost for existing Sky TV customers). Monthly usage caps: Connect - 40GB & subject to Traffic Management Policy. Maximum upload speed: Unlimited - 1.3Mb; Connect - 448Kb. Speed you get depends on factors including distance from the exchange and line quality. See sky.com for more details and our Usage Policies
    It never ceases to amaze me how little people know about the services they sign up for. *shrug*
  • Options
    Sky_RichSky_Rich Member Posts: 3,837
    edited January 2010
    Hi Oldhandluk,

i had to remove your post as it contained a line which wasn't appropriate and broke our community house rules.

please feel free to re-post your thoughts.

if you have any questions just shout or send me a PM.

thanks,

Rich
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hi Oldhandluk, i had to remove your post as it contained a line which wasn't appropriate and broke our community house rules. please feel free to re-post your thoughts. if you have any questions just shout or send me a PM. thanks, Rich
    Posted by Sky_Rich

Hi Rich,

Hypocrisy knows no bounds, eh? What FishingPhi and some others here are saying about 'cheap and cheerful ISPs' is deeply condescending to those who try and get a good deal with reputable ISPs. PlusNet isn't w/o problems (show me an ISP that isn't?) but it's also an award winning service. Anyway, I'll stick by your so-called 'rules'.

No joy again tonight: played the first hand from the BB without problems. System 'timed me out' on the second hand on the SB! Left after that (it takes getting back to the BB to get back playing anyway). Infuriating!

Anyway, I raised a ticket at the PlusNet gaming forum (for PlusNet users only) concerning problems with SkyPoker. No one came forward to claim such problems but one forum member (not a PlusNet moderator, just a gamer) suggested to look at this link:

http://aaisp.blogspot.com/

...where he found:

"We believe that some areas of the BT 21CN WMBC platform have shown some signs of congestion over the last few weeks. This has come to light due to the detailed monitoring carried out by AAISP using FireBrick FB6000 LNSs as well as monitoring of other ISP links by thinkbroadband.

Working in partnership with BT to resolve this issue has helped prioritise planned network upgrades to ensure a ongoing quality of service. The planned upgrades increase the potential capacity of relevant links tenfold.

The cause of these issues appears to be unexpectedly fast take up of the new BT 21CN broadband services.

The first upgrades are being planned to commence w/c 11th January at London Watling Street metro node followed by a second upgrade scheduled for 19th January at the Birmingham BRAS's. BT will be working through the remaining nodes to increase capacity over the coming months so as to avoid further congestion issues.
    "

This would affect quite a few ISPs and quite randomly too.

Is Sky aware of this?