You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Leaving Poker

Spike2120Spike2120 Member Posts: 112
edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
I am sorry to tell everyone who has got to know me and have helped me improve my game that I am leaving poker. I have total support from some and just moans off others its just the moans are off my mum cause I am having a bad week, which I know is just part of poker, I felt I weren't playing wrong or badly but, from someone who doesnt know how to play is telling me its only my fault i am losing so frankly i dont have much choice but to leave.

I have enjoyed every moment playing poker and playing on sky and I am going to miss the experience the fun and the people I just wish everyone the best for the future.

Spike2120

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
    edited January 2010

Take care spike.

And you know what - Mum's generally know what's best.

Good luck in whatever you do.
  • Options
    dav1964dav1964 Member Posts: 2,526
    edited January 2010
    sorry to hear that mate ive played with you before and you always came across as a nice guy.gl mate
  • Options
    dantb10dantb10 Member Posts: 583
    edited January 2010
    Good luck dude!

Just play free play and enter free rolls.

Still enjoy the game and it wont get u the aggro!
  • Options
    emilyeggemilyegg Member Posts: 3,408
    edited January 2010
    Thats a shame Spike, like you I get an earful (from the missus) regarding poker and the playing of it to relax and have a laugh. After much moaning, I once hid the TV controls because she was doing my crust in after a weeks graft...(the sky+ is a killer. Trust me) I enjoy playing as a pastime and have the same amount of laughs/donuts/donks/badbeats/suckouts as most on here. Like yourself, I enjoy it and it is a shame you are going to be denied playing by your mum, surely a chat and and a bit of give-and-take could resolve any issues your mum has..........failing that hide the remotes about half-seven every night.............
  • Options
    Mr_MiyagiMr_Miyagi Member Posts: 2,031
    edited January 2010
    But webby is back now mate.
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited January 2010
    lol who ever listens to their mum???!!!
  • Options
    Mr_MiyagiMr_Miyagi Member Posts: 2,031
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Leaving Poker:
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Me.  and if you ever see her you would see why.
  • Options
    FlutNushFlutNush Member Posts: 371
    edited January 2010
    Listen to your Mum. Mum's know what's what. They're rarely wrong.
    Years ago, my Mum spent 40p on a return bus-trip to Walthamstow market, just to look at a belt that cost £1. She came back home to 'think about it'. 
    I'll never forget that. 
    Mum's are frugal and know more than you'd think about bank-roll management.
    Having said that, Barry Greenstein would probably muller my Mum in a Heads Up battle (for rolls). 
    But boy, if he wanted a belt...
    Spike: Just sleep on it. Obviously, you have to take advice, but you also have to enjoy your life too... after all, we are born astride the grave. 
    Just take a break, think logically, and come back full of vim – as long as you don't hurt those that you love and you are in control.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Listen to your Mum. Mum's know what's what. They're rarely wrong. Years ago, my Mum spent 40p on a return bus-trip to Walthamstow market, just to look at a belt that cost £1. She came back home to  'think about it'.  I'll never forget that.  Mum's are frugal and know more than you'd think about bank-roll management. Having said that, Barry Greenstein would probably muller my Mum in a Heads Up battle (for rolls).  But boy, if he wanted a belt... Spike: Just sleep on it. Obviously, you have to take advice, but you also have to enjoy your life too... after all, we are born astride the grave.  Just take a break, think logically, and come back full of vim – as long as you don't hurt those that you love and you are in control.
    Posted by FlutNush
    Quality Post FlutNush (need to double check when typing that name) that both Spike and his Mum could read and think about.
    And at the end of the day there are many worse and more harmful "hobbies" than playing poker, that many young "lads" are sadly undertaking as we type.
  • Options
    fingers615fingers615 Member Posts: 154
    edited January 2010
    Listen to your Mum. Mum's know what's what. They're rarely wrong. Years ago, my Mum spent 40p on a return bus-trip to Walthamstow market, just to look at a belt that cost £1. She came back home to  'think about it'.  I'll never forget that.  Mum's are frugal and know more than you'd think about bank-roll management. Having said that, Barry Greenstein would probably muller my Mum in a Heads Up battle (for rolls).  But boy, if he wanted a belt... Spike: Just sleep on it. Obviously, you have to take advice, but you also have to enjoy your life too... after all, we are born astride the grave.  Just take a break, think logically, and come back full of vim – as long as you don't hurt those that you love and you are in control.
    Posted by FlutNush
    Did she ever get the belt????
  • Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    edited January 2010

well we have to try and keep our Mummies happy

how about copy and pasting someone elses sharkscope graph and changing the name to your own

good luck spike, whatever way you decide to get around it
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Leaving Poker:
    I am sorry to tell everyone who has got to know me and have helped me improve my game that I am leaving poker. I have total support from some and just moans off others its just the moans are off my mum cause I am having a bad week, which I know is just part of poker, I felt I weren't playing wrong or badly but, from someone who doesnt know how to play is telling me its only my fault i am losing so frankly i dont have much choice but to leave. I have enjoyed every moment playing poker and playing on sky and I am going to miss the experience the fun and the people I just wish everyone the best for the future. Spike2120
    Posted by Spike2120
    it seems from reading this your problem is bankroll management,

why don't you do a deal with your mum,

that you will only play micro stakes,

and also limit your time on here ,

and tell her to read the support you are getting on this thread .

p.s give her 10 o/o of any winnings as you go along !
  • Options
    charlyb8charlyb8 Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2010
    Posted by BlackFish3

Being a little boy yourself just out of nappies,I thought you would.There the greatest person in the world and always there when needed,no matter what age you are.Mind you some of the things you've come out with on this forum,i'm not suprised at what you've said.

GL m8 and its nice to see someone take note of there MUM now and again.World might be a better place if they did.
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited January 2010
    Posted by BlackFish3

Unlike most things in life, where Mum's are concerned, you only get the one. Make the most of it while you can.

• Options
    MereNoviceMereNovice Member Posts: 4,364
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Leaving Poker : Unlike most things in life, where Mum's are concerned, you only get the one. Make the most of it while you can.
    Posted by elsadog

I'm not sure that's totally true in today's era of civil partnerships.

I may have got the following slightly wrong but I hope that I have got the gist correct from an anecdote by Sandi Toksvig on QI recently.
    Her young son was asked what it was like to have two mummies. His reply was "It's great. When one's poorly you've always got another one "to do" for you"!

However, I totally agree, make the most of it.
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited January 2010

If your Mum is interveining then my guess is she has more info on your downswing than we do, she would certainly have more info on you financial position outside of poker and will be acting in your best interest (that's what they do).

My advice would be listen to her, in the grand scheme of things this is only a game, a leisure pursuit that we pay to take part in like any other. I like the cinema but if i'm short of cash i'm not going to be going that week, treat poker the same. Play when your flush and concentrate on the more important aspects of day to day life when your not.

If you want to stay in the game but the swing is a problem then just play the freerolls for a while until you either start to make a roll from nothing or until your in a position to make a return to pay to play poker

• Options
    Action_DanAction_Dan Member Posts: 341
    edited January 2010
    Yeah I'd echo what dantb10 and others suggested...

Just focus on freerolls mate - you'll get your fix without the stress and if you cash, that's great (in time, it might contribute to building your bankroll again) but enjoyment should be the key factor! If your mates are interested in poker, get yourself a chip set and have some weekly home games - again you'll get enjoyment/competition/banter without worrying about the money! Failing that, spend more time on the forum - talking about poker is the next best thing to playing so hope some of these suggestions help you and good luck with whatever you decide!
  • Options
    tezzer20tezzer20 Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2010

i know this feelin as i had the same thing with my mum lol but we came to an agreement why dont u set a monthly allowance on here as u can control what u deposit as im not the best player i normally stick to low limit tables and tourneys and then if i build up a reasonble amount i go to higher stakes or bigger buy in tourneys even though mums know best im sure u could agree on something

• Options
    Spike2120Spike2120 Member Posts: 112
    edited January 2010
    I will think about it, i just got so annoyed last night and its not easy at the moment as I have a gtd one shift a week at work so all my money I pay my mum is coming out my loan for uni.

As for tha bankroll management the money I have on this account I made from nothing I put £10 on the 2nd January and took it off the same day and have been playing off winnings ever since so its not like I have spent any money (really) just spending what I am winning. It had all been fine til the last 3 days, cause like the inevitable in poker I have had a bad run of cards and also not being able to take down pots early with what I felt was the best hand and then getting rivered out of pots, but thats poker and I know if I kept working it will come around.

I just got a lot of thinking to do we will see you might see me on the tables again soon or you might just see me in the freerolls, or not at all lol, who knows, not even I do.

good luck to you all anyways
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    We all love and respect our Mothers Spike and I`m sure your Mum only wants the best for you Mate.

That said Spike, you are obviously not hard of thinking, study hard, pay towards this and deserve a wee outlet.
    If Poker is that outlet then great, If you are doing it with other players money then even better. It doesn`t sound like your Uni studies are suffering or you are gambling with money you don't have to fund your enjoyment.

The one person you should never fall out with is your Mum. Most will testify to that Spike, but you also need to remind your Mum that you are a responsible Adult..........5 years down the line, a weekend of carefree abandon for you could be as much as staying up late for Match of the Day and reading a Pizza Hut Menu.

Regards Mate.