You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Leaving Poker

Comments

• Options
    Spike2120Spike2120 Member Posts: 112
    edited January 2010
    We will see, I doubt we would fall out over this as she didnt actually say to stop its just the lecture I got when she found out I had lost money and was no longer winning it, god she was not moaning so much whilst I was winning. Thing is she doesnt see that there is a skill edge as well as the luck factor in poker and however much i try and tell her that she thinks I am talking rubbish lol.

Now I am not saying I am the most skillful person in the world or at poker cause I am not I may possibly have more holes in my game than there is in a game of golf lol, but I am working on them day after day, or was.

For example just take one hand from last night I had pocket Q's and I raised it 5x got a caller flop comes down 7 high, with the possible straight, but with the pre flop raise I was not putting my opponent on 8,4 so I feel my queens are good so I bet pot to try and take it down and he calls then an ace comes, thinkin he may have been playing either a high ace or rag ace I check it down and he checks to I see a blank card as it is a 3, he goes all in I call and he wins with a 3-7 straight with hole cards of 10,4 suited. Its something you would not put them on after all the betting and raising. So its an area I have to work on is watching out for the loose players that hit, thats if I do decide to carry on lol.

By the way could the forum be on a different site lol, went looking for a freeroll and got tempted by the velocity satellite as its cheap and I nearly qualified last night for the velocity, as its the tournament structure I like cause I like a fast pace, unless the cards are cold lol.
  • Options
    OMahonyOOMahonyO Member Posts: 1,883
    edited January 2010
    keep poker to yourself.  there are not many people who can see the difference between poker and gambling.  I gave up trying to explain this a while ago.  Most ppl judge poker and roulette as the same thing as they are both gambling.

tell her you are playing play money.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Its hard cause I said in the heat of it all last night thats it I am never playing poker again and she just laughed saying i couldn't quit thinkin I am addicted to the gambling, which I am not or I would not be serious now about turning my back on the whole thing, cause for me its the table banter and the challenge that appeals to me and what i will miss the most if I do turn my back on it. Also keeping it to myself will be hard as I am normally on the main computer playing as its where I concentrate the best as its on a desk with a comfortable chair not on my lap lying on the bed.

Part of me wants to carry on, the competitive side of me, and part feels I have to turn my back to prove my mum wrong cause if I carry on I will just be called an addict by my own mum when she finds out and believe me she always finds out.
  • Options
    emilyeggemilyegg Member Posts: 3,408
    edited January 2010
    Give it a miss completely just for a day or two Spike, you WILL feel the benefit when you return, especially if you have taken a few bad ones.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    tbh if i dont wanna be branded a gambling addict by my own mother then i gotta quit completely cause she says i am addicted and cant quit, besides I cant play today cause I am too stressed out with stupid covering letters for placements cause a website tells me to do one thing, which is a website dedicated to graduates and graduate placements and is like the best website for everything and my mum says they are totally wrong and that I should do it another way which is messing with my head and frankly just making me more stressed about this covering letter than i already am, cause this is the sort of stuff I am not good at the personal sell yourself kinda stuff, academic and knowledge and working, great, personal not so good lol. Thats not saying I don't have self confidence more that i don't know how to sell myself without it sounding like I am being big headed lol
  • Options
    scotty77scotty77 Member Posts: 4,970
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Leaving Poker:
    Its hard cause I said in the heat of it all last night thats it I am never playing poker again and she just laughed saying i couldn't quit thinkin I am addicted to the gambling, which I am not or I would not be serious now about turning my back on the whole thing, cause for me its the table banter and the challenge that appeals to me and what i will miss the most if I do turn my back on it. Also keeping it to myself will be hard as I am normally on the main computer playing as its where I concentrate the best as its on a desk with a comfortable chair not on my lap lying on the bed. Part of me wants to carry on, the competitive side of me, and part feels I have to turn my back to prove my mum wrong cause if I carry on I will just be called an addict by my own mum when she finds out and believe me she always finds out.
    Posted by Spike2120
    Just play freerolls. Problem solved. Mum's aren't always right by the way. Also, they can change their minds.
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Leaving Poker : Just play freerolls. Problem solved. Mum's aren't always right by the way. Also, they can change their minds.
    Posted by Seagull158
    Even when their wrong their right seagull, have you not learnt this by now lol
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PMSL SCOTTY. After the the Break, Double (your-money) Paternity Results, with Graham and the after-care team.
  • Options
    steveburkesteveburke Member Posts: 34
    edited January 2010
    tell you what spike, have this weekend to think it over then......

if you are interested i will offer you some free coaching via skype and mikogo to get you on the right track, with regard to bankroll and plug some of your leaks.

from your post above i think a few weeks to chillout probably wouldnt be such a bad idea , to clear your head.

i sympathise with you as i too was in somewhat of a pickle a few years ago, luckyly for me a guy recommended a coach to me and from then on i didnt look back, in my mind coaching is the only way forward, as it just takes so long to self learn, or should i say self learn to a good standard.

After a few months i turned into a winning player then a year latter i was offerd a sponsorship deal to play heads up cash, so the rewards are there if your pointed in the right direction.

also, im eventually wanting to make this a second income for myself along side poker futher down the line, so this helps me aswell, if you dont mind being a guinnea pig :)

the offer is there for you if you choose to accept it, if you choose not to, fair play to you and i wish you well for the future.

steve.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    tbh if i dont wanna be branded a gambling addict by my own mother then i gotta quit completely cause she says i am addicted and cant quit, besides I cant play today cause I am too stressed out with stupid covering letters for placements cause a website tells me to do one thing, which is a website dedicated to graduates and graduate placements and is like the best website for everything and my mum says they are totally wrong and that I should do it another way which is messing with my head and frankly just making me more stressed about this covering letter than i already am, cause this is the sort of stuff I am not good at the personal sell yourself kinda stuff, academic and knowledge and working, great, personal not so good lol. Thats not saying I don't have self confidence more that i don't know how to sell myself without it sounding like I am being big headed lol
    Posted by Spike2120
    Make a deal with your Mum Spike. Give Poker a swerve for a week and show her that you can do it....as long as in return she lets you post on the forums as a "reward". If your Mum does get a bit "Hetty Wainthrop Investigates" with you, it is easy to check your account history to see you have not been playing.

Your Studies are of paramount Importance, but because you are a bit stressed out mate, you SHOULD be allowed to unwind with something you enjoy. It Is YOU and not your Mum that will suffer long term.

I am stressed myself today, waiting in all day for a washing machine that should have been delivered before midday. Half-Three, no sign as yet, but I have had a hoot on the threads all day and can`t believe the time. May need to lose the rag shortly though.

Try not to worry about your personal stuff Spike. Life is too short and there are way too many threads to read. You are obviously intelligent and you do not come across as big-headed either.

On the other hand that Humpty-Dumpty.....

No wonder all the Kings Horses and all the Kings Men had a chew-on
  • Options
    mrsmarleymrsmarley Member Posts: 57
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Leaving Poker:
    I am sorry to tell everyone who has got to know me and have helped me improve my game that I am leaving poker. I have total support from some and just moans off others its just the moans are off my mum cause I am having a bad week, which I know is just part of poker, I felt I weren't playing wrong or badly but, from someone who doesnt know how to play is telling me its only my fault i am losing so frankly i dont have much choice but to leave. I have enjoyed every moment playing poker and playing on sky and I am going to miss the experience the fun and the people I just wish everyone the best for the future. Spike2120
    Posted by Spike2120
    Later's mummy's boy.......
  • Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    edited January 2010
    like you said ealier spike, they don't moan when you're winning---thing is, it's a h ell of a lot harder to win when we are worried about losing--- so, as suggested earlier, use solid bankroll management techniques to build a roll that you can play with without worrying

Me Julee was worried about me playing at first, most people do think it's just gambling, but now she gets champagne and shoe's out of it every now then, she thinks it's a floppin marvellous idea!!---She even tells her Mum all about it. Poker is fast becoming an acceptable way of gaining a second income, but you have to be a consistent winner---sound bankroll management is the key here.

I would recommend playing the 2.20 deep stacks to build a roll, you get 2 or 3 hours of enjoyment for 2 quid, and a good solid game of poker will win in these, once you have a roll, try the 5.50 at 8.15--great game, and usually 100 quids for the winner---you can learn a solid game in these deepies, and once you have bought your Mum that pair of shoe's she was looking at, you'll get no more grief mate--you see!--gl mate--floppa whoppa
  • Options
    BADBOY985BADBOY985 Member Posts: 1,957
    edited January 2010
    SOUNDS LIKE YOUR REAL PROBLEM IS EFECTING YOUR MIND PROBABLY SORTING THAT BEFORE RETURNING TO POKER WOULD BE THE BEST IDEA.
    LIFE IS ABOUT OPINIONS, USE AS MANY AS YOU CAN BEFORE MAKING YOUR FINAL DECISION ABOUT YOU CHOICE,
    THE BEING ADDICTED BIT IMO ISNT CORRECT IF YOUR TAKING TIME TO THINK ABOUT IT AND NOT LOOSING MONEY.
    AS A PARENT AND STEPPARENT MYSELF WE CAN USE THE TERM ADDICTED ABOUT MOST THINGS TV,SLEEPING,ALCOHOL,MOBILE PHONE OR FACEBOOK.
    YOUR MUM SAYING POKER HAS JUST GOT YOU ON EDGE BECAUSE BEING A GAMBELING ADDICT AS SHE SEES IT MAY BE A SCARY THING TO HER. IMO SHES MORE WORRIED ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF TIME YOUR SPENDING PLAYING
    AS OTHERS HAVE SAID IN THIS POST EVERYONE NEEDS AN ESCAPE YOURS IS POKER.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
    edited January 2010

With one notable exception, what a terrific Thread, with everyone dispensing what they consider to be good advice, & really trying to steer Spike in the right direction.

Spike - you've latched onto a good bunch of guys here. We've got our share of trolls & aggro-merchants, but there is a strength in depth of decent, well-meaning people, too.

Stay close, YBA.
  • Options
    igeige Member Posts: 121
    edited January 2010
    see if you can come to some sort of comprimise with your mum spike best of luck to you matey.ignore the  2childish posts on here,dont need to mention names do we.by the way im 48 3 kids and i still listen to my mum lol n she aint put me wrong all the best mate
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I know Tikay and one thing is that its put my faith in this community if nothing else and everyone but one exception will be please to know after me my gf and my mum talked it through I aint going anywhere mum was having a half joke with me, but as always it sounded deadly serious she just wants me to be careful thats all.

As for the immediate future on sky poker I am taking a half break only gonna be playing low buy in tournaments to get through this rough period and going for the velocity later tonight hoping to satellite in. if not well possible a low stake bounty tournament and perhaps some DYM so if anyone wants a game in the low levels lol, ok that rules some of ya out lol, well I will be there and will be enjoying my poker once again.

Main thing is I will be taking it easy not spending too much to build my game back up, as for the offer steve I will hold you to that mate. Plan is to be more active on the forums as well once my coursework is all out the way (tuesday) lol, as I know where most of my holes are and most just need a tune up but if there is something that is really going wrong I will sure to contact you mate.

Also those who know about my MYP I did couple of weeks back, well plan is to have them running weekly at least from next week, give us all some plays to consider on days other than master cash.

good luck on the tables all, unless your playing me of course :p lol and thank you to everyone for there support and advice its all been noted and I will be taking it easy get through the bad spell.

Oh and as a Team Tikay member its saddens me to say I wont be in this weeks TKO event as unfortunately I have a bowls match I cant get out of lol.

Spike2120
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh one more thing I have missed saying most of the day and thats to MereNovice, that episode of QI was great and you got the quote word for word lol, just a thought have I watched this weeks yet??????? erm puzzling oh well if not will surely watch it soon lol ok enough of that time for dinner

See you all later.

:) somehow feeling more positive now

Thanks again all
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    All is good Spike, have a good weekend whatever you are doing.
    It is a bit nervewracking though when a Mother calls you and Raises All-In. :@)

To check-raise your Mum, an earlier plan could see if she gets the funny side of....

GOING

COULD EQUAL

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
    edited January 2010
    I know Tikay and one thing is that its put my faith in this community if nothing else and everyone but one exception will be please to know after me my gf and my mum talked it through I aint going anywhere mum was having a half joke with me, but as always it sounded deadly serious she just wants me to be careful thats all. As for the immediate future on sky poker I am taking a half break only gonna be playing low buy in tournaments to get through this rough period and going for the velocity later tonight hoping to satellite in. if not well possible a low stake bounty tournament and perhaps some DYM so if anyone wants a game in the low levels lol, ok that rules some of ya out lol, well I will be there and will be enjoying my poker once again. Main thing is I will be taking it easy not spending too much to build my game back up, as for the offer steve I will hold you to that mate. Plan is to be more active on the forums as well once my coursework is all out the way (tuesday) lol, as I know where most of my holes are and most just need a tune up but if there is something that is really going wrong I will sure to contact you mate. Also those who know about my MYP I did couple of weeks back, well plan is to have them running weekly at least from next week, give us all some plays to consider on days other than master cash. good luck on the tables all, unless your playing me of course :p lol and thank you to everyone for there support and advice its all been noted and I will be taking it easy get through the bad spell. Oh and as a Team Tikay member its saddens me to say I wont be in this weeks TKO event as unfortunately I have a bowls match I cant get out of lol. Spike2120
    Posted by Spike2120
    Top stuff. Mum's are sometimes - not often - wrong, but they mean well.

As to the Community here, & the "one exception", ignore it, be the bigger man.

Now go buy your Mum a little bunch of flowers, & give your g/f something, too.

That should ensure you have a great weekend. ;)