You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Straight from the toes - Quickfeet's blog

Comments

• Options
    QUICKFEETQUICKFEET Member Posts: 528
    @TVSpice To fund the 3 top non-league divisions from October to December, the National Lottery grant was £10 million so I guess it would've cost £20 million to fund the rest of the 9 month season assuming stadia were still closed to fans right through to June. Not a huge amount in the great scheme of things but I imagine there are other areas were funding also has had to be cut due to lockdown last longer than anyone expected. Furthermore, the controversy over how the league distributed the funds which allowed some clubs to blow the money on transfers rather than covering their overheads wouldn't have done the argument for more grants much good.

@StayOrGo Aside from all the stuff I am learning from you, those Zoom sessions are such good fun - they are a highlight of my week! Many thanks for organising them and all your enthusiasm for developing our skills
  • Options
    TVSpiceTVSpice Member Posts: 1,241
    QUICKFEET said:

@TVSpice To fund the 3 top non-league divisions from October to December, the National Lottery grant was £10 million so I guess it would've cost £20 million to fund the rest of the 9 month season assuming stadia were still closed to fans right through to June. Not a huge amount in the great scheme of things but I imagine there are other areas were funding also has had to be cut due to lockdown last longer than anyone expected. Furthermore, the controversy over how the league distributed the funds which allowed some clubs to blow the money on transfers rather than covering their overheads wouldn't have done the argument for more grants much good

Your second point is probably the most pertinent however, £20 million from the Premier League Clubs would have been a mere drop in the ocean. £1 million from each club. I hope all the clubs survive and return next season and that lessons have been learned by all. Is Brian Barwick the CEO of these divisions?
  • Options
    @TVSpice Brian Barwick is the Chairman of the National League
  • Options
    QUICKFEET said:

Ah, ok. And that clearly doesn't include the three divisions in quetion?
  • Options
    TVSpice said:

QUICKFEET said:

Ah, ok. And that clearly doesn't include the three divisions in quetion?
    It does include them, sorry for not being clear. There is the National League which is the top non-league tier and then the National League(s) North and South at the next level down - which are regional leagues even though they are called National Leagues.

Brian Barwich is Chair of all of that.

Confused? You should be!
  • Options
    Balance last week - £245.57
    Balance now – £230.11
    Weekly Profit/Loss – £15.46 Loss

Bit of an up and down week in the 6 Maxes. Friday was brilliant, out of 4 tourneys I won 3 and was runner-up in the other but on Saturday I lost 6 on the bounce. That was pretty much how things went all week with more bad runs than good.

I played 36 of these £5.50 6 Maxes, winning 6 and being Runner-up in a further 6.

I also had a nightmare cash session on Monday and lost £5.76. I got abit tilty!

The £1k Freerolls were better. I cashed in 3 out of the 4 I played for a total of £6.

So not a huge loss (one more 6 Max win and I would’ve been in profit) and hopefully I will run better next week.

Elsewhere in life, Boris was moaning recently about no one was taking up the Green Home Grants. I looked into them as I have been thinking about getting solar panels for some time. From the government website it appeared as though the grants would cover 2 thirds of the cost.

I got a quote from a supplier and their estimated savings suggested they would save/bring in £400 a year and pay for themselves in 6 years but when I mentioned the grant to the supplier, he said it only covered a solar system that generated hot water. An eligible system couldn’t even be used to power the central heating yet alone supply power back to the National Grid.

As there is just my mum and I, we don’t use that much hot water. We have a “wheel in” wet room which has an electric shower so we don’t even have a bath. Any savings would never cover the expense.

I am quite amazed that grants are being offered for something that has so little benefit. Was the supplier correct? May be large-scale wind and solar farms are more efficient so the government is not that bothered about domestic generation. But if that is the case, why offer the grant?
  • Options
    StayOrGoStayOrGo Member Posts: 12,127
    Many congrats @QUICKFEET on winning your seat to this weeks Sunday Major.

Great result and best of luck!
  • Options
    StayOrGo said:

Many congrats @QUICKFEET on winning your seat to this weeks Sunday Major.

Great result and best of luck!

+1 Will hopefully be abe to quietly rail on Sunday
  • Options
    Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 767
    Yep, best of luck on Sunday @QUICKFEET . Saw the final table of the freeroll - flopping quad 6s wasn't too bad at all!
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,237
    GL in the major - Enjoy
  • Options
    Thanks everyone...
    Quad 6s when AIPF v pocket Qs... luck was definitely on my side last night
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,318

Great news on the Sunday Major seat, well done & good luck on Sunday.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,026
  • Options
    Thanks @VespaPX. Odd that solar comes under low carbon heating in that link and yet the guy I found said it was only for hot water.
    I need to do further research!
  • Options
    StayOrGoStayOrGo Member Posts: 12,127
    Best of luck in the Sunday Major today @QUICKFEET

Just play your game and enjoy it, nothing to lose. :D

All the best!
  • Options
    Balance last week - £230.11
    Balance now – £218.41
    Weekly Profit/Loss – £11.70 loss

Still holding my own in the 6 Maxes. Only 2 negative days this week, but those were really bad day when I lost £44 and £22. I cashed in 16 out of 42 games but, crucially, only 5 of those were First Places so that gave me a loss of circa £17, offset a little by the £2.30 Tournament Token. For the second week in a row, one more win and I would’ve been in profit.

I had just the one cash in the £1k Freeroll this week for £4 on Friday.

The big excitement was winning a seat for the Sunday Major in the Freeroll on Wednesday. I’d like to thank everyone for their support in the build up to this evening. You can read how I got here https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/community/forums#/discussion/181300/major-quickfeet

Away from Poker, I had my Covid jab on Thursday. It was all done before I knew it was happening. No side effects apart from a sore arm.

The weather has been glorious up in Chester today. I enjoyed a walk by the canal this morning – on a newly resurfaced tow-path so no pot-holes trying to pitch me in the cut! The start of Spring is such a joyous time.
  • Options
    Balance last week - £218.41
    Balance now – £169.96
    Weekly Profit/Loss – £48.45 loss

Not such a good week for my Bankroll.

It began well on Monday, thanks to the Tourney Token I finished over a tenner up after 2 cashes in four 6 Maxes but that was the only positive day I had with those. Across the week as a whole, I finished £23.70 down on the 6 Maxes after 3 wins and 4 runner-ups from 23 games.

I had run so bad on Thursday that I thought I must be due some good hands so I started playing £5.50 Heads-Up. That was a disaster as I only won 2 games out of 10. I gave them another go on Friday and got a small amount back by winning 4 out of 7.

On Saturday, something strange happened. When I launched the SkyPoker client all the text in the lobby was missing. I clicked around on it but nothing happened so I closed and re-opened it after which all was fine. I then entered a couple of £5.50 games. No idea where my mind was, I thought I was starting some 6 Maxes but they were DYMs. I only realised when I noticed the starting stack was bigger!

However, once I woke up I felt really comfortable playing the DYMs. Although the coaching @StayOrGo has been giving me is not relevant to DYMs strategy-wise, I feel the advice from Graham and the gang has improved my general play and understanding of poker. Things went really well – I won 8 out of 12.
    I played some more DYMs today. The tables were tougher but I still finished just in profit after winning 4 of 7.

I plan to continue with DYMs and see if my successes continue. Hopefully Saturday was more than just the cards being kind. I do like the idea of fuelling my van from my poker profits for which I need £100 a month but over the last 4 weeks I am £15 down. As @Tikay10 would say, I have had a month of daily fun for £15 so I am not complaining but I don’t want to have too many weeks where I lose almost £50 like this week. From November to January I spun £37 to £300 mostly by playing DYMs so I will see if I can get a run like that going again.

This week I played 3 £1k Freerolls without cashing. In the Sunday Major Freerolls, I thought I was going to grab another seat on Monday but I ran out of chips and finished 7th (with 3 qualifying).

Away from poker, not much of note happened but that’s not to say I am unhappy, I am quite contented pottering around on the computer and, as ever, @StayOrGo’s Zoom sessions are good fun. I also really enjoyed last weekend’s Artic Rally – I paid to watch all the stages via the www.wrc.com site in addition to those shown on BT and caught up with them during the course of the week. The speed the cars can achieve in the snow with their studded tyres is amazing.
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,550
    Great write up & quiz as per @QUICKFEET ..gotta ask tho £100\month for fuel? Low mpg im guessing?
  • Options
    Glenelg said:

...gotta ask tho £100\month for fuel? Low mpg im guessing?

It's because my mum keeps telling me to slow down! Ha Ha...
    Seriously, with lockdown there is no where to go although I tend to have a 30-40 mile drive 3 times a week to keep the battery charged and also for my mental health. I would go stir crazy if I never left the house.

The onboard computer tells me my range is 600 miles when the tank is topped up although as I can't reach the button to reset the trip meter, I haven't checked that. The range plummets in urban driving (I guess the van has alot of weight for the engine to accelerate) but conversely sometimes when I go for a cruise round the countryside the range doesn't reduce at all. You'll gather I deliberately leave the onboard computer displaying "Range" so I challenge myself to keep it as high as possible - if it was showing average speed I would use alot more fuel and probably lose my licence too!
  • Options
    (I obviously don't leave Cheshire when I go for my drives although I am not sure it matters if I don't get out of my vehicle. Always good to keep your eyesight tested!)