You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Straight from the toes - Quickfeet's blog

Comments

• Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited February 2017
    In Response to Re: Straight from the toes - Quickfeet's blog:
    In Response to Re: Straight from the toes - Quickfeet's blog : The new cars look fab, especially with the fatter tyres, but I am a little worried, with the extra grip and lots more downforce, will the great corners such as Eau Rouge at Spa and 130R at Suzuka become easily flat thereby taking away the skill factor from the drivers? They should have upgraded the engines too. Increasing grip with no additional power just means more corners become flat out. For spectators at the track, however, the high cornering speeds should be mind blowing however. My favourite category is Formula Ford 1600. The cars have no aerodynamics so they are constantly sliding and they can run close together in the corners making overtaking on the following straight possible without the "stage managed" DRS. I'd love F1 to be Formula Ford with bigger engines and fatter tyres! I look after the following Formula Ford website, www.brsccff1600.co.uk There is a great video on the home page
    Posted by QUICKFEET
    Unfortunately given how much the FIA has done to control the speeds of the cars since 1994, I doubt that we'll get a conscious effort to increase horsepower beyond the natural rate of engine development.

Even if we could bump the cars up to say 1200-1500bhp, I suspect you'd soon see Eau Rouge go the same way as Tamburello and the Peraltada, with a clunky 2nd gear chicane at the bottom of the hill or something to reduce speed for driver safety as soon as somebody gets hurt.

I guess if Eau Rouge is flat for everyone (and it has been for the top cars for years as fuel loads get lighter, just not on full fuel at the start of the race - Remember the F duct year where drivers were flat with one hand on the wheel?), then there'll always be a corner like Pouhon that becomes even more challenging instead. If 130R becomes flat, then Degner also becomes faster and is going to catch even more drivers out struggling to get the line right through the first part and get the car slowed down for the second part, and there'll be others like turn 1 at China which I think we'll learn to appreciate much more with the new cars, too.

Corners like the esses and the middle sector in Hungary are also going to be much more challenging and punish mistakes much harder at higher speeds. While it would be a shame if Eau Rouge and 130R essentially became a "straight" in the dry, I think you win some and you lose some with the rule change.

+1 to the DRS tilt, though. Ugh. One of the most exciting things for me about Monaco now is that the DRS is basically irrelevant there.
  • Options
    QUICKFEETQUICKFEET Member Posts: 528
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for all the kind messages today.

Bit of a new experience tonight. My long time buddy, who I have known almost 30 years, signed up to SkyPoker this evening after hearing of my good run this Winter and watching me play a session the other week (I must have made it look easy!).

Watching him play took me back to when I started and made me realise how much I have learnt over the years
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @evilpingu, I guess you are right, as one corner becomes a "straight" others become a challenge... until all corners are flat out! lol (I jest to make a point...)

An excess of power over grip is what I think motor racing should be all about. I'd have taken aero away and kept the engine regs the same but Red Bull complained that it had become an engine formula that Mercedes were dominating while their Renault engine lagged behind hence they threatened to pull out both their teams unless some regulations that allowed Adrian Newey to work his magic in the wind tunnel were introduced
  • Options
    EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited February 2017
    An excess of power over grip is what I think motor racing should be all about.
    Posted by QUICKFEET
    Agree with this, anything that challenges the drivers more is a good thing in my book. I have very little interest in NASCAR, but I'll often go out of my way to watch the road course races every season because it's fun watching guys wrestling a car with the turning circle of a cruise ship around a track like Watkins Glen - Probably highlights the skill of those drivers as much as any series I can think of.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,129
    edited February 2017

The photo of QUICKFEET's keyboard on page 1 of this thread has now been approved.
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,523
    edited February 2017

Just read all this. Very inspirational to all. I have played you quite a few times over the years and wish you the best of luck, on and off the tables. A blog I will follow with interest. 

Regarding your keypad, is this something that is universal or is it just an ad hoc one produced for yourself? I was recently openly criticised by the resident troll here for my writing skills/spelling, so I am very cautious now with what I put on here. You seem to write so well and that is backed up by your love of motor sport reporting. Do you ever bet on that too?  

A cheeky Q for you... Do you ever 'misclick' when playing poker? And if you do, do you blame yourself or your keyboard? 

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited February 2017
    And the Oscar goes to......Alan!

All the best Quickfeet, will follow with interest.
  • Options
    scouse_redscouse_red Member Posts: 5,968
    edited February 2017
    as others have said sir....... truly inspirational, it is amazing the difficulties that can be overcome with hard work and effort, and also puts a lot of things into perspective

I for one will be following this with interest 

Good Luck at the tables
  • Options
    glencoeladglencoelad Member Posts: 1,505
    edited February 2017
    Fantastic blog QF   , looking farward to more , and good luck at the tables.
      I think i will try more DYMs , lookout for you, cheers.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    edited February 2017
    I can only echo what everyone else has already said. Great opening post and I look forward to reading more.
  • Options
    UrABawBag2UrABawBag2 Member Posts: 122
    edited February 2017
    I can only echo what everyone else has already said. Great opening post and I look forward to reading more.
    Posted by waller02

+1  to this  gl  at  the  tables
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Just read all this. Very inspirational to all. I have played you quite a few times over the years and wish you the best of luck, on and off the tables. A blog I will follow with interest.  Regarding your keypad, is this something that is universal or is it just an ad hoc one produced for yourself? I was recently openly criticised by the resident troll here for my writing skills/spelling, so I am very cautious now with what I put on here. You seem to write so well and that is backed up by your love of motor sport reporting. Do you ever bet on that too?   A cheeky Q for you... Do you ever 'misclick' when playing poker? And if you do, do you blame yourself or your keyboard? 
    Posted by MAXALLY
    HI Maxally, yes I know your alias well from the tables.
    Re the keyboard, it is a one off designed specifically for me.
    I occasionally misclick but most of my errors are down to me!
    Most likely scenario for a misclick is when I have two monster hands on both of the tables I am playing. If I get stressed or over excited, I have even less control over my muscles so I struggle to get my mouse on the button I want to click (it shoots all over the screen) before the timer gets to the end... and when the timer goes orange, I panic even more! ...and then I finally click "All In", press enter and my pocket Aces lose to 7 4 off!!!

Actually, my lack of control under stress is the main reason I didn't learn to drive sooner. When I hear sirens approaching I jump about abit but a few years ago I got an outdoor powered wheelchair and was able to remain in control of that whenever there was a sudden noise, that is why I decided to get assessed for a drive from wheelchair vehicle. It turns out that I was just a rubbish passenger because I feel more relaxed and in control when I am driving. It's my passengers who panic and jump around now!!!!
  • Options
    pomfrittespomfrittes Member Posts: 2,981
    edited February 2017

+ loads to all the above. 
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited February 2017
    Hey QuickFeet, we've done a bit of chatting on Skype over the years, weren't you in a HU SnG strat group a while ago with me, Benc and a few others?

Gl anyway with the poker and the diary
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Yes Lambert180, that was I
  • Options
    DonttelmumDonttelmum Member Posts: 1,921
    edited February 2017
    Very inspiring Quickfeet.

Following with interest.
  • Options
    bencbenc Member Posts: 1,054
    edited February 2017
    Gl Quickfeet, I have a vague recollection of you showing me a video back when i was at uni of how you use the computer ( i think?) which was ridiculously impressive. Hope the Poker and Racing continues to go well.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,145
    edited February 2017
    great read this, tremendous.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Have to say... the new F1 cars look impressively fast even on the box. They must be mind blowing live.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGreal1ctbc
    The increased grip hasn't completed got rid of oversteer as these clips show. The cars still have to be driven. Let's hope the races don't become an exercise in tyre conservation once more. The FIA have specified more durable rubber this season.

Less impressive is my poker. £60 down after 11 £11 TDYMs last night. Just about every game went to Level 7 or higher and I seemed to be on the wrong side of loads of the 60/40 hands I was involved in. Even lost AQ to 76 both suited to clubs.

Same thing happened last week and then I had a good run Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Maybe I just shouldn't play on a Tuesday!
  • Options
    LARSON7LARSON7 Member Posts: 4,491
    edited March 2017
    Really interesting op, and looking forward to more. Good luck at the tables!