You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Trump

markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
Okay, I always wanted to start a politics thread on here >:) I was unsure if it would be allowed but @Tikay10 didn't voice any immediate disapproval when I mentioned the prospect in another thread a couple of months ago. Might go up in flames but hey ho...

So yeah, Trump. The guy makes my head hurt on a daily basis.

Today he revealed via Twitter that he is "a very stable genius" and "like, really smart". I probably have a few bones of contention with that assumption if I am entirely honest.

Would be interesting to hear what others think of Mr President.

My views are probably in congruence with those expressed in South Park.

Comments

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,523
    edited January 2018
    Blokes a genius, I think its just us, were not smart enough to see it.

"Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart," the President continued. "Crooked Hillary Clinton also played these cards very hard and, as everyone knows, went down in flames. I went from VERY successful businessman, to top T.V. Star ... to President of the United States (on my first try). I think that would qualify as not smart, but genius ... and a very stable genius at that!"

It cracks me up that hes still going on about Hillary and throws in "on my first try" , hes a retard, unless calling him a retard is against the rules here.
  • Options
    JJBinksJJBinks Member Posts: 440
    edited January 2018
    at least he loves animals he likes to grab cats I hear, think in the usa they are called Puss ys
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,339
    Oh Marky what are you trying to do? I can see this thread resulting in carnage!

My opinion? I find it staggering that the likes of Trump, Clinton, May, Corbyn, Johnson and Abbott (to name just a few at the top) are the best we can get to run two of the most 'advanced' countries in the world. Truly staggering, I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I could throw them and I've got a bad back.
  • Options
    Oh, I meant to start this in "The Rail". If someone with magic buttons would be so kind as to move it to there?
  • Options
    Thanks Tikay *blushes*
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,076
    Whether you like him or loathe him at least he he making good on his pre-election promises (which he got elected on) unlike most politicians.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,743
    VespaPX said:

Whether you like him or loathe him at least he he making good on his pre-election promises (which he got elected on) unlike most politicians.

Hi Mick
    His pre election promises included “ Building a wall”, “ Having Mrs Clinton investigated, and charged”; “ Replacing Obama care with something much better” amongst other outrageous claims which fuelled the discontent of the electorate., similar to the lie “ Let’s give the £350 million to the NHS” which some fell for in this country...
  • Options
    oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,772
    Imo. The only way the Republicans could beat Hilary, was to play this loony card.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    VespaPX said:

Hey Vespa,

This is a good point as it is 'somewhat' measurable. Which policies do you feel Trump has made good on?

I thought similar to the opinion Tom expressed and that there had been little progress apart from the possible exception of the economy and tax reform. The economy (so far at least) would definitely be counted as a success by some.

As for the economy... I personally feel whether this area has been a success or not depends on what you want the economy to do. From the limited information I have it looks like it mostly benefits the already well off. Is it likely to bring about a more equal society? Is it likely to raise the general standards of everyone, including those at the bottom? It also looks like it is being built for the short/medium term, not the long term.

Granted these are just some things I personally feel the economy should seek to achieve. Others would obviously disagree and I would argue this just depends on your sociological and political stance.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,076
    markycash said:

VespaPX said:

Hey Vespa,

This is a good point as it is 'somewhat' measurable. Which policies do you feel Trump has made good on?

I thought similar to the opinion Tom expressed and that there had been little progress apart from the possible exception of the economy and tax reform. The economy (so far at least) would definitely be counted as a success by some.

As for the economy... I personally feel whether this area has been a success or not depends on what you want the economy to do. From the limited information I know it looks like it mostly benefits the already well off. Is it likely to bring about a more equal society? Is it likely to raise the general standards of everyone, including those at the bottom? It also looks like it is being built for the short/medium term, not the long term.

Granted these are just some things I personally feel the economy should seek to achieve. Others would obviously disagree and I would argue this just depends on your sociological and political stance.
    From what i've seen and read,
    Unemployment at record lows.
    Manufacturing/Growth & Dow Jones hitting highs not seen for years.
    Putting American jobs first.
    I know he tried to repeal ObamaCare but was blocked in Congress (at least he tried)
    Big crackdown on violent street gangs.
    Like all the Presidents in the US they will all be ultimately controlled by the Fed, Oil, Pharma & Military companies, (not to mention the Rothchilds, Freemasons, George Soros, etc....)
  • Options
    craigcu12craigcu12 Member Posts: 3,960
    Having trump as presidient of the USA is like having the selfish, greedy and braindead daffy duck as presient,

Pictures show that his inauguration didn't have as many people as obama but to him that's wrong his inauguration attracted more people than any other inauguration, everytime a negative comment is said about trump it's "Fake news"

I think he's using the the presidential powers partly for his own wealth and family, he claimed trophy hunting is good for conservation but truthfully he wants to make it legal for his son to kill african wildlife for trophies. The likes of increasing oil drilling in the arctic and building pipes along nature reserves show trump doesn't care about the natural world at all. Things like the attempt to over turn obama care and reducing the amount of tax payed by the rich make him not bothered about the poor.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    VespaPX said:

markycash said:

VespaPX said:

Hey Vespa,

As for the economy... I personally feel whether this area has been a success or not depends on what you want the economy to do. From the limited information I know it looks like it mostly benefits the already well off. Is it likely to bring about a more equal society? Is it likely to raise the general standards of everyone, including those at the bottom? It also looks like it is being built for the short/medium term, not the long term.

From what i've seen and read,
    Unemployment at record lows.
    Manufacturing/Growth & Dow Jones hitting highs not seen for years.
    Putting American jobs first.
    I know he tried to repeal ObamaCare but was blocked in Congress (at least he tried)
    Big crackdown on violent street gangs.
    Like all the Presidents in the US they will all be ultimately controlled by the Fed, Oil, Pharma & Military companies, (not to mention the Rothchilds, Freemasons, George Soros, etc....)
    Regarding the economy and markets...

Again, whether the economy is classed as being a success or not I think depends on what you are measuring it against. The black and white figures and the stock market indices indicate a success but what about the # of homeless people in society? What about the levels of equality within society? How many people are financially marginalised? Have these numbers improved? Are they part of what an economy is supposed to tackle? It really depends on what you are measuring the economy against.

Having said that, even if we were to agree it is a success. It is hard to know who is actually responsible, Trump, Obama or the trends that were already in play. I would say personally that it is likely a mix of all 3 factors.

Trump is quick to mention the record breaking stock market indices, puff his 'chest' out and take credit for this. However, as far as I am aware the US stock market has hit an all time high on 33 out of the 58 preceding months. To me this suggests there was a rising trend in play already. I mean sure, Trump could have, and probably did, influence this but to take credit as if this was squarely down to him seems a bit 'rich' (pun intended). Another thing that suggests 'the market rises' are simply a trend which was already in play before Trump took office is that the economy and markets have been recovering since the crash in 2013 (on average hitting a new record high every 7 days). It is natural for recoveries to take place after crashes as policies are put in place to encourage this.

Be happy for anyone to challenge anything I have written. It is good to discuss these things IMO and I am always happy and willing to reevaluate my position on things.

Will come back to the other points later if that is okay. I am starving and need to go sort a takeaway sort a healthy balanced low calorie dinner (just incase any of the Fat Club are reading).
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,486
    edited January 2018
    craigcu12 said:

Having trump as presidient of the USA is like having the selfish, greedy and braindead daffy duck as presient,

Pictures show that his inauguration didn't have as many people as obama but to him that's wrong his inauguration attracted more people than any other inauguration, everytime a negative comment is said about trump it's "Fake news"

I think he's using the the presidential powers partly for his own wealth and family, he claimed trophy hunting is good for conservation but truthfully he wants to make it legal for his son to kill african wildlife for trophies. The likes of increasing oil drilling in the arctic and building pipes along nature reserves show trump doesn't care about the natural world at all. Things like the attempt to over turn obama care and reducing the amount of tax payed by the rich make him not bothered about the poor.

comfortably my favourite comment about Trump ever
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,054
    edited January 2018
    Don't forget the allegations he is a mysogynist sexual predator.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,046
    markycash said:

Thanks Tikay *blushes*

For moving the thread, I assume?

No problem, & no need to blush. Besides, "thanks Tikay, *blushes" makes history as your shortest post ever.

As it happens, I'm chuffed to bits you started this thread. I considered doing it a few weeks ago, but did not think there would be much interest. I was clearly wrong.

But the main reason I'm pleased is that I've trying to get some traction into this section of the Forum. (Fat Club etc).

In the last few days, you've started The "Film/TV Club" & now the POTUS, & both have proved popular.

We just need a UK Politics thread now, & we'll really be off & running.
  • Options
    Cheers and a big +1 to a UK politics forum.
  • Options
    Only awake for 30 minutes or so and am still scratching my head at this from Trump yesterday...

"I went from VERY successful businessman, to top TV star to president of the United States (on my first try)".

I mean this is rather worrying. Does he really not remember the past?

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,523
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,743
    markycash said:

Cheers and a big +1 to a UK politics forum.</blockquote
    I’m just off out, would be great if “someone” could get this topic started 😉
    There is currently a lot of anger in the political world, and people’s views are bound to be different, would be good to have debate without getting personal as is the standard of “debate” on forums I frequent online.

• Options
    Just popping over to the shops Tom then I will make this thread unless someone else wants to do so before I get back.

I agree it is good to debate these things and not let the debate get personal. Might be worth coming up with some very basic ground rules to have some parameters to debate within and keep it civil?