You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

More rake is better

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,315
    edited July 2018
    Now, let me finish up with an "ahh" story.

I was playing on 'Stars last night. Yup, you heard me correctly. They own the Business now, so I thought I'd take a look at what they do these days, & how. I was amongst the first ever players on 'Stars, around 16 (?) years ago, but I moved on after a while, & had not been back since. In fact. I've been "exclusive" to Sky Poker the last decade or so.

Anyway, I'm sat there quietly, two tabling some PLO8 MTT's, and a link flashed up. Cant remember exactly what it said, but it said that some bloke had qualified for "The Deal Jackpot", and if I clicked the link I could watch it happen "live".

So I clicked the link, & sure enough, there was a geezer sat there, waiting to see if he won. I quickly looked him up on Sharkscope, assuming he'd be a high volume hotshot. I was wrong, his average stake was $0.63. Not exactly a nosebleed hotshot then.

Than this sort of "Wheel of Fortune" thing started spinning.

This is not last night's one, but it looked like this;

• Options

...and the guy won....

$125,000

Pretty cool, huh?
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395

In a perfect world they keep Sky Poker as is but they give us the Stars software.

I really hope this doesn't happen.... I know the stars software is technically better, but I love the classic layout on skypoker and it's one of the main reasons I play here and not on stars - or elsewhere. When I do occasionally play on stars, no matter what table layout I try I always seem to struggle sometimes in following when it's my turn to make a decision - on classic view it's dead easy because the timer is in the middle of the table for you!

• Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534

In a perfect world they keep Sky Poker as is but they give us the Stars software.

I really hope this doesn't happen.... I know the stars software is technically better, but I love the classic layout on skypoker and it's one of the main reasons I play here and not on stars - or elsewhere. When I do occasionally play on stars, no matter what table layout I try I always seem to struggle sometimes in following when it's my turn to make a decision - on classic view it's dead easy because the timer is in the middle of the table for you!

Change they table to hyper simple - much easier to follow if multi tabling
  • Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534
    Tikay10 said:

...and the guy won....

$125,000

Pretty cool, huh?
    It is really cool that micro players get the opportunity to win and you will rarely see regs win this prize, but thats because the regs no that this is long term a rake haul.

I think the jackpot has to get over £240,000 for the game to become profitable and you can only play 1 hand every 8 hours for it to be so.

That being said I dont have anything against this sort of thing as its no different to sticking a quid on the lottery

Im also just bitter iv never come close to winning anything like that sort of money haha
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527

but with huds banned*
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Change they table to hyper simple - much easier to follow if multi tabling
    I already use hyper simple but even so I still struggle to see when it's my turn to act sometimes! Maybe it just takes time to get used to it.
  • Options
    TOOTRUETOOTRUE Member Posts: 192
    Tikay,

Thank you for the update which, given the restrictions placed upon you, is very informative.

I used to play a lot of mixed games on Poker Stars as I prefer a wider variety of poker games than just holdem. However, in recent years, I found myself spending less time on Pokerstars and more time on Sky to the extent that I really play exclusively on Sky. However, I miss playing mixed games and would love the opportunity to play such games on Sky with just the Sky player pool.

I appreciate I might be in the minority here wanting a wider selection of formats of poker and it might dilute the player pool across the various games, but wondered if the merger with Pokerstars and the use of the Pokerstars software and coding for such games might make this possible in the future without Sky needing to develop the IT itself for these games. I note your comments about CMA restrictions and hence not expecting a reply or comment here, but just wanted to mention it as a possibility for the future that I would be very interested in and which might be considered when the CMA approve the deal.
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Tikay

Thank you so much for such an honest and comprehensive update.

Whatever the future holds, I hope TSG realise that more Tikay is better :)
  • Options
    @tootrue: don't think Sky has the playerbase for mixed games... PLO8, whilst popular at the DYM level thanks in part by tikay, I don't think I ever see a cash game running for them. So can imagine the same being true of even less popular formats.
  • Options
    Mayhem357Mayhem357 Member Posts: 87
    @Tikay10 Thanks so much for all of your posts, you continue to do a brilliant job. If I see you out in Vegas in 2019 then I will definitely come over and have a chat next time:)
  • Options

Just to add, all of that is 100% true, except Sam never got me dinner, in fact he never even got me a coffee. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    great news
    respect your elders Sam ;)
  • Options
    Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 864
    Great updates Tikay, greatly appreciated. The fact that software problems haven't just been sidelined for good is really promising imo
  • Options
    DonttelmumDonttelmum Member Posts: 1,921
    Called the bluff when you said Sam was in the office.
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Great news about UKOPS! If you had a to speculate... hypothetically... off the record... would you say it's likely to be in the usual November slot, or coinciding with Stars WCOOP in September?
  • Options

Great news about UKOPS! If you had a to speculate... hypothetically... off the record... would you say it's likely to be in the usual November slot, or coinciding with Stars WCOOP in September?

Well, just speculating, off the record, hypothetically, whistling in the dark, I would be very surprised indeed if UKOPS and WCOOP had a date clash.

Just my opinion, like.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Afternoon all.

Those with long memories will recall we tried to keep everyone up to date as to the deal between SB&G & TSG, & especially Sky Poker. You may also recall that everything was at a standstill until the CMA ruled on the deal.

Today TSG ('Stars) announced that the CMA had cleared the deal, & so that's formalised everything.

This was quickly followed by all of the SB&G Team receiving an e-Mail from the Big Big BIG Boss at Stars, also one from Mr Flint at SB&G.

What all that means for Sky Poker I genuinely have no idea, & it might be that they don't know yet either.

There have today been a bunch of changes at the top of SB&G, new responsibilities etc, none of which, as far as I am aware, will directly impact upon Sky Poker in the short-term. Long-term, I have no idea. The changes were all internal - nobody has, or will as far as I know, been drafted in from TSG to rule the roost at SB&G, which will continue to operate as a unit just as it always has.

I said back in July that Sky Poker had all sorts of stuff planned for this Autumn, & that remains the case, much of which you have already seen via various Promos, & the promises were kept.

It also reminds the case - & this is up to date news - that planning, discussions & negotiation for SPT 2019 are in progress, as is planning for other 2019 Promos. Of course, that does not mean much, it might all change tomorrow morning. Or it might not, but I think you now know as much as most of the Sky Poker team do.

If I hear any more, I'll keep you informed, assuming I'm able. So, for now, we are back to our old friend, Mr BAU, aka Business As Usual.

Or, in the words of Liam Gallagher......