You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Talking Sport

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,273

Excuse the short break, but SPT Manchester rather got in the way of things.

This week's snooker is the so-called Welsh Open, which is a bit of a sham really, you can't - or should not - call it an "Open" when it's mostly best of 7, best of 7 is the car boot sale of snooker tournaments.

Like so many sports these days - cricket especially - the shorter formats seem to prove popular, but they are not my bag at all.

Snooker is such a great sport to watch though, & suits TV so well, so I have still been dipping in & out of it.

Ronnie is on this afternoon, so I'll try & catch a bit of that.

The oddity this week was Anthony McGill, who was - & still is - on a terrible run of form. Looks like he had a fall out with his barber, or maybe lost a bet. Spot the difference.....

In football, the weekend's stunner was Man City obliterating Chelsea 6-0. Has there ever been a better Premier League striker than Aguero? I can think of a few who were top class - Shearer, Rooney, Henry, Anelka (when in the mood), but Aguero must be right up there with them.

Tuesday saw a thoroughly miserable effort by Man U in the Champions League, an embarrassment to watch really. The Man U fans gave the referee some stick, but it was one of the bet refereeing performances I've seen in a long while.

England's pride was partly restored last night after a splendid effort by Spurs to beat Dortmund 3-0, despite missing Kane & Ali due to injury. Amazing performance by Son again, my oh my he's some livewire.

In the Champo, good to see Brentford beat Villa, even though they left it mighty late.

Elsewhere in the Champo, Preston continued their fine run with a spectacular 3-1 win over Norwich, & the Blades nicked it again v a disappointing 'Boro. Maybe it's time Pulis retired.

Derby somehow scrambled a point at Ipswich, & Stoke played out a drab 0-0 away to Wigan.

No other interesting results last night in the Championship that come to mind, though I've no idea what all this is about;

Moving on, tonight sees the return of Europa League football, headlined by Arsenal & Chelsea. Celtic are playing too.
  • day4eire76day4eire76 Member Posts: 912
    Just wondering what people are making of the Matt Kuchar controversy after the details have been confirmed yesterday.

For those that don't know the cliffs are Kuchar played the Mayakoba Golf Classic ( Mexico ) in November and employed a local caddy.He then went on to win the tournament for $1.3million and it emerged the caddy was paid $5000.

Golf fans will know that 10% is usually around the fee a full time caddy gets of prizemoney. Seemingly there was discussions about fees for a missed cut, for a made cut, for a top 20 and for a top 10. What the caddie would receive for a win was not discussed.

So what do people think , should he have received more or as Kuchar says “For a guy who makes $200 a day, a $5,000 week is a really big week.”
  • dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793

Just wondering what people are making of the Matt Kuchar controversy after the details have been confirmed yesterday.

For those that don't know the cliffs are Kuchar played the Mayakoba Golf Classic ( Mexico ) in November and employed a local caddy.He then went on to win the tournament for $1.3million and it emerged the caddy was paid $5000.

Golf fans will know that 10% is usually around the fee a full time caddy gets of prizemoney. Seemingly there was discussions about fees for a missed cut, for a made cut, for a top 20 and for a top 10. What the caddie would receive for a win was not discussed.

So what do people think , should he have received more or as Kuchar says “For a guy who makes $200 a day, a $5,000 week is a really big week.”

It's quite frankly shocking , and kuchar should be ashamed of himself ...not sure how anyone can be of an opposing view to that . " It's a really big week for him " isn;t relevant , he should have been paid the same percentage rate as the big time caddies .
    Seven-year-old ‘Blaze’ may be the fastest in the world
    A seven-year-old boy is aiming to one day smash Usain Bolt's 9.58 seconds 100m World Record.

Rudolph Ingram from Florida, known as Blaze, shocked onlookers when he took just 13.48 seconds to complete a 100m sprint.

His dad, Rudolph Ingram Senior, told BBC Radio 5 Live that he's “one of the fastest kids around.

“He’s very quick. His feet go up and down so fast so if you’re coming out slow you’re in trouble.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-47245967/seven-year-old-blaze-may-be-the-fastest-in-the-world
  • pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,834

It does seem to be a bit of a lowball, I guess 5k was the amount for the top 10 finish that was discussed. I suppose Mr Kuchar has to pay tax, may have ex wives, children to support.
    At times like these you kind of hope that things will balance out, however, very rarely does.
    Still the caddy may well have been very happy, I guess that hasn’t been reported.
    pompeynic said:

It does seem to be a bit of a lowball, I guess 5k was the amount for the top 10 finish that was discussed. I suppose Mr Kuchar has to pay tax, may have ex wives, children to support.
    At times like these you kind of hope that things will balance out, however, very rarely does.
    Still the caddy may well have been very happy, I guess that hasn’t been reported.
    PGA tour money list 2019 :

2 Matt Kuchar 6 $2,919,613.00
    Type your comment

I'm with The Dobe on this one, Kuchar was well out of order imo.

He's very popular on the circuit, mainly, I suspect, because of his name & the "Kooooooch" thing which the tanked up galleries love to do. And now he's thrown all that goodwill away.

Someone mentioned his 2019 earnings were already almost $3 milly - but that excludes endorsements from equipment suppliers, personal appearances, appearance fees at Tournaments & all manner of other benefits. These additional benefits amount to many millions, & the caddie does not get a cut of them.

The way Tournament Golf works means it's a very high variance game. Rory McIllroy, for example, has just 1 win in the last 3 years if I'm not mistaken.

So for a caddie, these wins are almost once in a lifetime opportunities to earn a few bob. Even the very best players rarely win more than 2 Tournaments per year.

He's come out of this very badly imo.

Great question Pat @day4eire76

The views to posts ratio on this thread is very low, & I was starting to think it was time to give up on it, but I think we'll plug on for a little longer now.

The more topics we can cover, the better.
  • day4eire76day4eire76 Member Posts: 912
    edited February 2019

I fully agree that he has come out of this looking very badly.
    Although I don't think the caddy should have received the same amount as the full time guys as they spend the majority of the year away from family and friends.
    Saying that between 5% - 8% would have changed this caddies life forever.

Kuchar reminds me of another notoriously tight player who is generally well loved by the public Phil Mickelson.

If you scratch beneath the surface of Phil he is not a likeable character at all and has been involved in some very shady dealings.

Public perception is a really fasinating topic.

Arsenal legend Marc Overmars believes Alexis Sanchez could make a shocking return to the Emirates after his unsuccessful spell at Manchester United :o
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,272
    Borussia Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke has had to make an extrodinary defence of his team following their 3-0 loss to Tottenham Hotspur in the Champions League, and he is receiving support from other figures in the Bundesliga.

The loss has been blamed in some quarters on personal vanity and a loss of focus ahead of the match within the club's travelling party.

A number of players decided to have hair cuts in the days before the game, exactly the sort of preparation that has left the more reactionary members of the German football media grasping at straws.
    edited February 2019

@day4eire76

Going back to the Matt Kuchar story, he has apologized, & agreed to pay the caddie $50,000.

Fair play to Kuchar, though my respect for him remains diminished (like he cares what I think, obv....), as he only sorted it out after he was publicly shamed into doing so.

Here's the apology & cliffs;

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/2019/02/16/matt-kuchar-issues-apology-temporary-caddie-says-will-pay-50000/
    ^^^^ Damage limitation
    Type your comment

^^^^ Damage limitation

Exactly that, & a forced apology.
  • pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,834
    Obviously he reads this thread. He had no choice really, he would have attracted lots of negativity.
    Italian minnows Pro Piacenza beaten 20-0 in league match
    If you think your team was on the receiving end of a poor result this weekend, then spare a thought for Italian minnows Pro Piacenza.

The Serie C Group A strugglers were beaten 20-0 - yes, that's twenty-nil - at league rivals Cuneo on Sunday afternoon.

They were trailing 16-0 at half-time, with Cuneo's Hicham Kanis scoring six goals before the interval, and fellow striker Edoardo Defendi getting five.

In Pro Piacenza's defence, there were mitigating factors.

Currently bottom of Italy's third tier, the northern club are in serious financial trouble. They were deducted eight points earlier in the campaign and have reportedly failed to pay their players since August - resulting in the resignation of the majority of their first-team squad.

They had failed to play any of their past three fixtures prior to Sunday's defeat, and another no-show at Cuneo would likely have resulted in their disqualification from Serie C.

The visitors managed to field enough players for the game to go ahead. Unfortunately for them, that meant starting the match with a seven-man team that included six teenagers.

With no coaching staff available, 18-year-old captain Nicola Cirigliano also had to take on the role of manager.

They finished the match with an extra player after one of the younger members of their squad was able to locate his identity papers after the game had kicked off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47273170
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,606

Italian minnows Pro Piacenza beaten 20-0 in league match
    If you think your team was on the receiving end of a poor result this weekend, then spare a thought for Italian minnows Pro Piacenza.

The Serie C Group A strugglers were beaten 20-0 - yes, that's twenty-nil - at league rivals Cuneo on Sunday afternoon.

They were trailing 16-0 at half-time, with Cuneo's Hicham Kanis scoring six goals before the interval, and fellow striker Edoardo Defendi getting five.

In Pro Piacenza's defence, there were mitigating factors.

Currently bottom of Italy's third tier, the northern club are in serious financial trouble. They were deducted eight points earlier in the campaign and have reportedly failed to pay their players since August - resulting in the resignation of the majority of their first-team squad.

They had failed to play any of their past three fixtures prior to Sunday's defeat, and another no-show at Cuneo would likely have resulted in their disqualification from Serie C.

The visitors managed to field enough players for the game to go ahead. Unfortunately for them, that meant starting the match with a seven-man team that included six teenagers.

With no coaching staff available, 18-year-old captain Nicola Cirigliano also had to take on the role of manager.

They finished the match with an extra player after one of the younger members of their squad was able to locate his identity papers after the game had kicked off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47273170

Nice to read some 'facts' behind some of these headlines. Something everyone should be aware of before posting and/or believing stuff posted here and elsewhere.

I remember losing a school football match 18 nil once. The vocals coming from our opponents after the game were loud and OTT. However, they fielded 3 illegible (ringers) players......so the score was reversed. Happy days.