You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The brexit party ...news and articles

Comments

• Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,507
    If nothing else has come from the last three years, everyone now have the information to decide which way to vote next election and not be accused of ignorance regard what they were asked to vote for last time. fwiw
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,163
    edited April 2019
    Nigel Farage livid after learning that Stonehenge was built by Turkish immigrants

Nigel Farage is throwing a wobbly this morning after learning that Stonehenge was constructed by immigrants.
    Researchers in London compared DNA extracted from Neolithic human remains found in Britain with that of people alive at the same time in Europe, and found that inhabitants appeared to have travelled from Anatolia (modern Turkey) to Iberia before winding their way north to Britain.
    Addressing all four followers of his new Brexit Party this morning, Farage ranted, “I’ve always said that Europeans have been coming over here, stealing British workers’ jobs, and this has clearly been going on for six thousand years.
    “I bet there were some honest, hardworking British builders who had given a quote for Stonehenge, only be undercut by this European lot, who doubtless delivered the project three weeks ahead of schedule and at half the cost. The bastards.”
    Brexit Party contender Annunziata Rees-Mogg added, “One manifesto pledge of the Brexit party will be to tear down this monument to European bureaucracy and replace it with a burger van in a lay-by.
    “That’s what you commoners like, right?”

• Options
    dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2019
    Ben Habib, businessman and Brexit Party candidate talks at the launch

https://youtu.be/LjSSA4gbxx4
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,507
    Why be in a Thread /Party/ Government/ EU that ignores you.

• Options
    Farage’s Brexit Party opens up lead in European elections

Nigel Farage’s new Brexit Party has opened up a five-point lead in the next month’s elections to the European Parliament, according to a new opinion poll.

A YouGov poll, commissioned by the People’s Vote campaign, puts the Brexit Party on 27%, ahead of Labour on 22% with the Conservatives trailing on 15%.

The findings – which are weighted by likelihood to vote – represent a surge in support for the new party since a YouGov poll for The Times last week put them on 15% – almost level-pegging with the Tories on 16%, with Labour leading on 24%.

It follows the burst of publicity the Brexit Party received with the launch last week of its election campaign, when it was announced that Annunziata Rees-Mogg – the sister of the leading Tory Brexiteer Jacob Rees-Mogg – would be among its candidates

Theresa May is likely to face calls to quit if the Tories are beaten by the Brexit Party (Rebecca Brown/PA)
    It will reinforce fears among ministers that the Conservatives are heading for a crushing defeat if the poll on May 23 goes ahead as planned – a result which would almost certainly see fresh calls for Theresa May to quit.

The Prime Minister has said she is determined to get a Brexit deal through Parliament before that date, which would mean voting would be cancelled.

However, that not only means winning a “meaningful vote” on a deal – which has already been rejected three times by the Commons – but also then passing a bill formally ratifying the agreement in law.

Much is likely to depend on whether cross-party talks with Labour can agree a common way forward – with the two sides expected to take stock of progress when MPs return to Westminster after the Easter recess.

The latest YouGov poll suggests that some of the increase in support for the Brexit Party comes from Ukip voters switching to the new party, with Ukip down from 14% last week to 7%.

Among the pro-Remain parties, the Greens came top with 10%, followed by the Liberal Democrats on 9%, Change UK on 6% and the SNP/Plaid Cymru on 4%.

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2019/04/17/faragea-s-brexit-party-opens-up-lead-in-european-elections/
  • Options
    EXCLUSIVE Farage should Fix himself BREXIT PARTY BOSS BUSTED

Oliver Norgrove, a former Nigel Farage admirer and Vote Leave staffer, explains how Brexit broke itself on the back of ‘grotesque simplifications’.
    Like so many others, my intertwining with Brexit began with Nigel Farage. I remember watching him in person and on YouTube as an 18-year-old, just as my political journey was starting to take shape.

What aided Farage most was his ability to articulate simple solutions to incredibly complex problems.

Mr Farage was the first political figure to really inspire me. I was energised and sprung into action by him in a way that nobody else has since managed. I considered him – and still do to this day – to be an extraordinary orator, and somebody who could not only make the case for Leaving, but in the process relate to the people he was talking to. He appeared to me a cultural outlier in elite circles, even if his educational and professional background suggested otherwise.
    What aided Farage most was his ability to articulate simple solutions to incredibly complex problems. He became so good at it that many of his answers turned quite organically into slogans. This had a major effect on people like me, because not only was he able to paint a patriotic and optimistic vision for Brexit, he provided activists with memorable and easily deployed arguments for use in general debate.
    The Problem with Slogans
    The fact that Mr Farage relied on short, sharp and simple responses made him appear intellectually infallible, even if what he said was suspect in terms of its content.

On some level, the boiled-down, simplification of the issues made me remarkably naive but absurdly over-confident in my approach to arguing for leaving the EU.
    The arguments turned Brexit into a more easily digestible, every-day snapshot: ‘They need us more than we need them’ making an analogy to the German car industry analogy; ‘Even in the worst case scenario, we’d be better off than we are now’ with reference to a comparison of tariff schedules based on the ‘they sell us more than we sell them’ point.
    On some level, the boiled-down, simplification of the issues made me remarkably naive but absurdly over-confident in my approach to arguing for leaving the EU.

But, as time and negotiations progressed, and as more of the technical details became apparent, I started to realise that so many Faragist predictions and pronouncements just weren’t materialising.
    The more I learned, for instance, about the mechanics of trade and WTO law, the more I recognised the complete untruth in so much of what had been said.
    GATT Article XXIV was not going to provide for a no deal transition. The economic forecasts, increased red tape burden and the response of many businesses to looming third country status prove that we wouldn’t be better off in the worst case scenario than we are now. Most UK trade was not conducted under solely WTO rules. And there was no such thing as a ‘world trade deal’.
    The Jaws of Reality
    Brexit has been nothing if not an immense learning curve.
    Pretty uniquely in the Brexit debate, I have experienced a good flavour of three distinct divisions within the Leave movement: UKIP, Vote Leave and the assorted ‘Liberal Leave’ campaigns, all of which unite around protecting our membership of the single market. I believe that this has enriched my analytical perspective on many of the issues surrounding the UK’s EU withdrawal.
    Farage’s grotesque simplifications… and the almost religious evasion of detail were never going to prepare us for our departure.
    The outright lies and failure to deal adequately with policy details will go down in history as the Leave side’s most prominent sore. Leaving the European Union is a mammoth legal, technical and constitutional task which cannot be orchestrated according to the whims of the political sloganeering we saw in the 2016 referendum. The jaws of reality, it turns out, cannot be avoided indefinitely.
    To some extent, I should have had greater foresight and viewed the withdrawal issues through a more critical lens. But then again, this could be said of almost anybody invested in Brexit. Farage’s grotesque simplifications, parroted by individuals uninterested in complexity, and the almost religious evasion of detail were never going to prepare us for our departure. It is here where history will truly judge him.
    With last week’s launch of the new Brexit Party, Nigel Farage has set about re-packaging the core of Brexit support. He says he wants to bring back trust to the political climate, changing our politics ‘for good’. I say he should start with a small measure of self-reflection. He should start by fixing himself.

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/04/16/farage-should-fix-himself-brexit-party-boss-busted/
  • Options

Samuels: Brexit Party fight back shows us Brits won't give up

Dominique Samuels is a Brexiteer studying politics at the University of York and is a supporter of Turning Point UK.

Leaving the European Union was supposed to be a fantastic opportunity for our country, one that we could grab hold of with both hands and take advantage of: signing free trade deals with the rest of the world, having real control over our own purse, being able to control our immigration policy and cater our country to those that live within it rather than putting the interests of others first.

Yet, throughout this whole process, we have seen Brexit being treated by the government as an issue that needs to be managed rather than one that should be set upon with excitement, creativity and vigour.

The Brexit Party has started off with an impressive 15% in the polls according to YouGov just days after its launch, emboldened by its Leader, Nigel Farage and his vivacious announcement of its candidates standing in the European Elections – elections that we were told we wouldn’t participate in – but with Mrs. May as our Prime Minister, it has fast become clear that when she promises one thing, it probably means the opposite is going to happen.

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect on my way to Coventry on the train, where the Brexit Party officially launched with all of its new candidates, however with its constituents having turned out and backed leaving the European Union, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out the public mood in that area of the country given the government’s slow-motion failure to deliver what they voted for.

Of course upon arrival there were the usual bands of anti-Brexit, anti-democracy, white protesters, screeching nearby the venue, armed with European flags, ‘say no to racism’ posters and letting us all know that ‘refugees are welcome here’ and Nigel Farage apparently isn’t. A strange view given a clear majority in Coventry voted for Brexit.

What’s more interesting, however, is that these protesters largely missed the point of the Brexit Party’s launch on Friday. The launch wasn’t about refugees or migrants.

It was really about democracy, and the fact that the party that many entrusted with delivering Brexit, is no longer intent on delivering what the people demanded in 2016, so it is time to look to a stronger, clearer, better alternative.
    Democracy is why the candidates running to challenge both our incompetent government and the EU, are not only from different ethnic backgrounds, but from different political disciplines, such as Dr. Alka Sehgal Cuthbert, an MEP candidate on the left of the spectrum standing for the Brexit Party, and is doing so because she too believes in democracy.

Brexit has been a damage limitation exercise for May’s government. It feels like our own Treasury is against it, our own Civil Service, all of this being bolstered by the incessant micromanagement of Theresa May in the negotiations, installing Brexit Ministers for show, whilst ‘agreeing’ things in secret; ‘preparing’ for No Deal whilst actually undermining it, despite the fact that it was revealed we are far more prepared for a clean break from the EU than we are being told.

Worse still, it has become apparent that the sinking ship of the Conservative Party is one that May refuses to leave. Nobody really wants her there.

Conservative members are growing impatient, Councillors no longer want to run out of fear of the abuse they will receive, and lifelong Conservative voters, such as Brexit Party candidate and sister of Jacob Rees-Mogg, Annunziata Rees-Mogg, are publicly coming out in complete support of the Brexit Party, or simply not confirming whether or not they will vote Conservative in the upcoming European Elections as the Brexit can is kicked further and further down the road.

Why continue voting for and supporting politicians that take your vote for granted?

The choice is clear. It’s either continue propping up a broken two-party system that has become far too comfortable with saying what you want to hear to gain your vote, only to turn their backs on you when the going gets tough, or support something dedicated to protecting what you voted for.

As I travelled from Coventry back to Manchester, it reminded of me what being British is all about and why I am so proud to be British. We are not known for giving up so easily. The Brexit Party is not just about leaving the EU, it is giving the hidden voice of the British people a last shot at truly being heard.

So yes, one thing became apparent to me on my way back from Coventry: anybody who believes in democracy should vote for the Brexit Party in these upcoming elections. Our democracy depends upon it.

https://www.westmonster.com/samuels-brexit-party-fightback-shows-us-brits-wont-give-up/
  • Options
  • Options
    The former Ukip leader’s new group is five points ahead of Labour and 12 ahead of the Conservatives just three months after it was launched.

Mr Farage said the public wanted a fresh positive vision and he is planning to unveil new candidates for the European elections next week.

The YouGov poll put the Brexit Party on 27 percent, ahead of Labour on 22 percent with the Conservatives trailing on 15 percent.

It means the new party is on course to crush the opposition at elections to the European Parliament if Britain is forced to take part next month.

“We should be slightly cautious about polling at this stage but, overall, the Brexit Party is off to a very good start,” Mr Farage said.
    “The public are warming to us. There’s great grassroots support, large numbers of people joining, grassroots donations and all of it feels very exciting.

“I think we will be announcing a few more candidates next week.

“People want a fresh, positive vision. They are tired of career politicians endlessly threatening them, sounding miserable and not believing in the country.”

The surge in support comes after a YouGov poll last week put the Brexit Party on 15 percent.

Mr Farage led his former party Ukip to a shock win in the the last European parliament elections in 2014.

It was the first time the Conservatives or Labour had failed to top the ballot in a nationwide election since 1906.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1115622/brexit-news-nigel-farage-brexit-party-european-elections-conservative-labour
  • Options
    I’m a student who campaigned for Brexit in 2016 – now I know I got it wrong
    What is obvious now, and perhaps to many was even before the referendum, is that leaving the EU does not allow the UK to regain any control

Most young voters of my generation will have probably, at some time or another, watched political dramas – Scandal, The Thick of It, House of Cards, to name a few.
    But the current high-level drama that is Brexit cannot be turned off. And, if you like series that end before their creators ruin them, well, I’m sad to say that for Brexit this is just the beginning: the end is not even in sight and the series rating has already hit rock bottom.

Three years ago, in the EU referendum, I campaigned for the UK to vote to leave the EU. That is a decision I have regretted since soon after 23 June 2016.

I am sad and annoyed to admit that, at the time, I was won over by bald slogans, genuine believing that what the Leave campaign promised was the most convincing option.

I, like most of the country, have been on a long journey since then. From a few months after the referendum result I started to get a nagging doubt. Had I done the right

It’s clear to see now that Brexit was a mistake.
    Vote Leave managed to run a campaign that connected on a much more emotional level than any of the financial threats the Remain campaign rolled out. The urge to “Take back control” was clever – the use of the word “back” hinting that we somehow had lost an advantage, or control, over huge areas.

What is obvious now, and perhaps to many was even before the referendum, is that leaving does not allow the UK to gain any control. Leaving the EU actually means losing control, losing power, losing influence and losing opportunities.

Parliament deadlock puts soft Brexit at risk, as Boles adds some drama
    If Brexit ever actually happens, then it is extremely likely that the UK will stay aligned to current EU regulations in order to make trade possible. What that means is that the UK will obey rules that it once helped to decide – except without having any say over them in the future. That doesn’t seem like taking back control.

Alternatively, we could lower food standards and regulations that keep us safe, in return for a trade deal and close economic partnership with the United States. We would have no say over dropping those safety standards, they would simply be part of the requirement for a close relationship. That, too, doesn’t seem like taking back control.

In any circumstances, the UK will still have to work extremely closely with the European Union – but, instead of helping to set the course of action, we will be responding to their decisions. That doesn’t seem like taking back control to me either.

Is this really the most ill-disciplined cabinet in British history?
    The saying that ”a week is a long time in politics” has never been truer. And it has been an incredible 145 weeks since the referendum.

In that time everything has changed, and this is the reason why: in the EU referendum we had multiple people from multiple groups saying multiple things about multiple visions. Does that sound vague or unclear? It certainly should, because it was.
    In 2016, Brexit was a vague idea that everyone had their own version of. Now it is a clear reality. This reality is Theresa May’s withdrawal agreement, which has united Leavers and Remainers only in their opposition to it. It was defeated in Parliament with the largest majority in history, and a further two times since then.
    If we exit with that deal, we are doing it based on a decision taken three years ago, when the terms of our exit had not even begun to be negotiated.

Now we know what Brexit truly looks like, we should hold a confirmatory referendum. Parliament has rejected May’s deal, but MPs cannot agree on an alternative. The people hate May’s deal but May refuses to go back to them.
    Those of us campaigning for Our Future, Our Choice believe that the situation has changed drastically. I believe people have a right to change their minds and to be asked what they want now. We should make sure the people really want to pursue this huge decision, now that we see what the reality looks like for us, for our friends, for our families, and for our country’s future. After all, it’s our choice.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-second-referendum-peoples-vote-theresa-may-deal-student-a8850406.html

• Options

KATE HOEY There’s no need for an Irish hard border – it’s just a barrier put up by scaremongers

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7733555/irish-hard-border-just-barrier-scaremongers/

Brexit: High-tech solution to avoid hard Northern Ireland border 'decade away', leaked Home Office document says
    'The challenges of this work cannot be underestimated', warns memo in blow to Brexiteer hopes of replacing backstop

Any hi-tech solution to the problem of how to keep the Northern Ireland border open after Brexit is at least ten years away, a leaked Home Office document has said.
    The memo said the cost and complexity of using new technology to remove the need for border checks meant "the challenges of this work cannot be underestimated".

The finding will come as a blow to Eurosceptic Conservative MPs, who have repeatedly insisted that technology could be used to keep the border open in the event of a no-deal Brexit, removing the need for the controversial Northern Ireland backstop.

The memo, seen by Sky News, was drawn up by the Home Office's Policy Unit and sent to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and the Treasury. It says there could be a possible technological solution but that it would come with a huge array of difficulties.

The solution would involve companies uploading data on goods and using blockchain technology, sensors and automated collection to pay tariffs.

The memo said: "If all these technologies are brought together this could allow a seamless collection and analysis of the data needed. It would also provide the ability to target interventions away from the border itself."

But it also warned of a series of practical problems in introducing the technology, including cost, time and complexity.
    It said: "The challenges of this work cannot be underestimated... No government worldwide currently controls different customs arrangements with no physical infrastructure present at the border."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-northern-ireland-border-high-tech-solution-home-office-leak-backstop-a8875171.html

• Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,299

The former Ukip leader’s new group is five points ahead of Labour and 12 ahead of the Conservatives just three months after it was launched.

Mr Farage said the public wanted a fresh positive vision and he is planning to unveil new candidates for the European elections next week.

The YouGov poll put the Brexit Party on 27 percent, ahead of Labour on 22 percent with the Conservatives trailing on 15 percent.

It means the new party is on course to crush the opposition at elections to the European Parliament if Britain is forced to take part next month.

“We should be slightly cautious about polling at this stage but, overall, the Brexit Party is off to a very good start,” Mr Farage said.
    “The public are warming to us. There’s great grassroots support, large numbers of people joining, grassroots donations and all of it feels very exciting.

“I think we will be announcing a few more candidates next week.

“People want a fresh, positive vision. They are tired of career politicians endlessly threatening them, sounding miserable and not believing in the country.”

The surge in support comes after a YouGov poll last week put the Brexit Party on 15 percent.

Mr Farage led his former party Ukip to a shock win in the the last European parliament elections in 2014.

It was the first time the Conservatives or Labour had failed to top the ballot in a nationwide election since 1906.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1115622/brexit-news-nigel-farage-brexit-party-european-elections-conservative-labour

Does anyone else think it’s so ironic that Herr Farage is now choosing to try to get elected in the very parliamentary system he allegedly dislikes and has stated he never wants to go to again... tif he didn’t turn up or ask many questions when he infrequently attended

I say allegedly as he certainly likes the £ expenses that come with this position..suppose he has to go to Europe for his money as he can’t get into the UK system ( S club 7)
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    madprof said:

pointless, as usual...last response on this thread

• Options
    Brexit Party on course to win EU elections after surging ahead in polls

The Brexit Party will win if we take part in European elections, a new poll suggests. Nigel Farage’s new party has a five-point lead for the first vote it would take part in. The Brexit Party would take 27 per cent of the vote, ahead of Labour on 22 per cent and the Tories on 15 per cent.
    The party launched its election campaign last week, announcing that Jacob Rees-Mogg’s sister Annunziata would be among the candidates. ‘It is entirely plausible that we are facing another Farage-shaped upset at the ballot box,’ YouGov Political Research Manager Chris Curtis wrote in the Guardian. ‘While there are more than five weeks of campaigning to go, I certainly wouldn’t bet against him.’ It will reinforce fears among ministers that the Conservatives are heading for a crushing defeat if the poll on May 23 goes ahead as planned – a result which would almost certainly see fresh calls for Theresa May to quit. The latest YouGov poll suggests that some of the increase in support for the Brexit Party comes from Ukip voters switching to the new party, with Ukip down from 14 per cent last week to 7 per cent.

Among the pro-Remain parties, the Greens came top with 10 per cent, followed by the Liberal Democrats on 9 per cent, Change UK on 6 per cent and the SNP/Plaid Cymru on 4 per cent. The Prime Minister has said she is determined to get a Brexit deal through Parliament before May 23, which would mean voting would be cancelled. However, that not only means winning a ‘meaningful vote’ on a deal – which has already been rejected three times by the Commons – but also then passing a bill formally ratifying the agreement in law.

The People’s Vote campaign – which backs a second referendum – said the findings suggested Labour could stop the Brexit Party topping the poll if it backed a public vote on whether to go ahead with Brexit. The poll showed that in those circumstances, support for Labour would increase slightly to 23 per cent, while support for the Brexit Party dropped to 26 per cent. However if Labour’s manifesto commits it to going ahead with Brexit – even with a customs union which it is seeking to negotiate in the talks with the Government – its support drops to 15 per cent, level with the Conservatives and a resurgent Liberal Democrats.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/18/brexit-party-course-win-eu-elections-surging-ahead-polls-9243320/

• Options

madprof said:

Commenting on information posted, ie debate

Previous remark was based on the repetitive postings of the Farage rally...no substance just the same old post

Clearly you don’t want any discussion/comments on your posts...I suppose that’s how propaganda works
  • Options

madprof said:

• Options
    madprof said:

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Nigel Farage defends his seat in the European Parliament | 60 Minutes Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFcEXnyaVew
  • Options
    Brilliant ...Nigel Farage giving it to the EU parliament

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40ule97jkRA
  • Options

madprof said:

If you were to review my previous posts, there was a point at which I gave you credit for a level of intellIigence, now you show your true level of maturity in debate...they say that old people revert to being like children in their approach.....still won’t be long now