You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Leaker locked up.

Comments

• dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    If I wasn't here , you'd all be agreeing with yourselves :D
    edited May 2019
    HAYSIE said:

Without people like Julian Assange to expose , just throw a blanket over our heads and accept whatever governments do is just fine .

I didn't think anyone could be that dense.
    You post pages and pages of American stuff which is completely irrelevant.
    He is in jail because he is guilty.
    He went into hiding to avoid rape and sexual assault charges in Sweden.
    American interest in him came 5 years later.
    You cant get off rape and sexual assault charges because a few people think you have done some public good.
    I hope he gets to stand trial on all his charges, as anyone should expect.
    He shouldn't be able to get off by running away and hiding like the coward he is.
    "I don't really know why I bother trying to reason with someone who is impressed by Tommy Robinson, and Nigel Farage.
    Its a lost cause."

And yet you're still jabbering away , ignoring everything that doesn't suit your own purpose .
    And now the insults have changed from calling people morons , to calling me dense .
    A slight improvement , work harder . :D
    Amazed , but not surprised you don't get a warning from tikay about insulting people ...note the words " not surprised "
    The phrase , " lets stop the insults and we will have a more rounded debate " spring to mind ...obv only applies to some :D
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,036

If I wasn't here , you'd all be agreeing with yourselves :D

This is a very much out of character post for you.

You usually go on for days defending the indefensible.

You can normally go on for ever, just on the basis of silly arguments, oh no it isn't, oh yes it is, oh no it isn't.

You are famous for flogging dead horses.

I cant help wondering what has happened.

Could you possibly be admitting to being in the wrong? Impossible.

Maybe you have actually read the article in full? Very unlikely.

Have you eventually come to the view that someone else could be right? Impossible.

Has someone injected you with a balanced view? Your body would have rejected it.

Have you suddenly seen the light? No.

I am at a loss to explain it.
    edited May 2019
    The WikiLeaks’ founder’s lawyer had earlier laid out a number of mitigating factors, claiming Assange lived in fear of being rendered from Sweden to the US, where politicians had talked of having him assassinated.

The case of Chelsea Manning and the conditions in which the US military whistleblower was kept was also mentioned, as was the case of individuals who were rendered from Sweden to the US in chains and after being drugged for transatlantic flights.

The seven-year itch: Assange's awkward stay in the embassy
    Read more
    Summers told the court the Australian had been “gripped” by fears that his work with WikiLeaks would provoke rendition to Guantanamo Bay or the US, where he could face the death penalty.

“As threats rained down on him from America, they overshadowed everything as far as he was concerned,” he said. “They dominated his thoughts. They were not invented by him, they were gripping him throughout.”

He said the fact Assange chose indefinite detention in small rooms at the Ecuadorian embassy, in a state of depression and pain for various medical ailments, rather than spend 12 months in a British jail, showed the extent of his fears.
    Drawing a comparison with the sentence of Jack Shepherd, who killed a woman in a speedboat crash and later fled to Georgia, he added: “And may I point out, just in comparison, that the so-called speedboat killer got six months for not showing up in court to hear his sentencing for manslaughter.”

Shepherd was given credit for his guilty plea, while Assange denied the bail offence and was convicted by a court.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/may/01/julian-assange-jailed-for-50-weeks-for-breaching-bail-in-2012
    Read this quote earlier ...pretty much nails it .

"If a government alleges that a person or organization has conspired with a foreign power to undermine that nation’s electoral process, it should have the integrity to make that case in public in a judicial proceeding. But if a government uses such an allegation simply as a pretext to try to silence a publisher of information - and that is what WikiLeaks is - it exposes potential or actual crimes by the government itself, and the government needs to be held to account first.

Every news organization in the free world should be terrified of an Assange prosecution under U.S. law."

HAYSIE said:

Without people like Julian Assange to expose , just throw a blanket over our heads and accept whatever governments do is just fine .

You cant get off rape and sexual assault charges because a few people think you have done some public good.
    He shouldn't be able to get off by running away and hiding like the coward he is.
    "I don't really know why I bother trying to reason with someone who is impressed by Tommy Robinson, and Nigel Farage.
    Its a lost cause."

And yet you're still jabbering away , ignoring everything that doesn't suit your own purpose .
    And now the insults have changed from calling people morons , to calling me dense .
    Amazed , but not surprised you don't get a warning from tikay about insulting people ...note the words " not surprised "
    The phrase , " lets stop the insults and we will have a more rounded debate " spring to mind ...obv only applies to some :D
    I am not ignoring anything that is relevant.

You seem to wish to ignore the fact that when the offence that he is currently jailed for occurred, he was avoiding extradition to Sweden, on rape and sexual assault charges.

American interest him came 5 years later, at which point he agreed to be extradited to the US, on condition that Chelsea Manning was released from prison.

The Americans made good on their promise, he reneged on his.

Whatever anyone thinks about his publication of secret documents, it is irrelevant to the offence that he has been jailed for, or the outstanding Swedish rape and sexual assault claims, and surely cant excuse him from them.

In my view, it beggars belief that anyone would somehow use his efforts to inform the public to absolve him from these charges.

I feel entitled to express my disdain for the man, in any way I see fit. As he is unlikely to be an avid reader of this forum, my views will cause him no harm.

My point about him being a moron, I believe is valid.

The maximum sentence he could receive in the US is 5 years.

With good behaviour there would be a discount.

He has spent 7 years locked up in the Embassy, and would be still there today if they hadn't kicked him out. You may think that this was a clever ploy, Baldrick would have called it a cunning plan.

Despite being locked up for 7 years, he may still have to face justice in the US, and Sweden.

I am not sure why you think that Tikay would see that a warning for expressing my opinion on Julian Assange would be at all relevant.

He ran away and attempted to evade justice, which in my view undoubtedly makes him a coward.

There are parallels between him and Jack Shepherd the speedboat killer, who many people believe is a coward.
    edited May 2019
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Its a lost cause."

You seem to wish to ignore the fact that when the offence that he is currently jailed for occurred, he was avoiding extradition to Sweden, on rape and sexual assault charges.

American interest him came 5 years later, at which point he agreed to be extradited to the US, on condition that Chelsea Manning was released from prison.

Whatever anyone thinks about his publication of secret documents, it is irrelevant to the offence that he has been jailed for, or the outstanding Swedish rape and sexual assault claims, and surely cant excuse him from them.

In my view, it beggars belief that anyone would somehow use his efforts to inform the public to absolve him from these charges.

I feel entitled to express my disdain for the man, in any way I see fit. As he is unlikely to be an avid reader of this forum, my views will cause him no harm.

He has spent 7 years locked up in the Embassy, and would be still there today if they hadn't kicked him out. You may think that this was a clever ploy, Baldrick would have called it a cunning plan.

Despite being locked up for 7 years, he may still have to face justice in the US, and Sweden.

I am not sure why you think that Tikay would see that a warning for expressing my opinion on Julian Assange would be at all relevant.

He ran away and attempted to evade justice, which in my view undoubtedly makes him a coward.

There are parallels between him and Jack Shepherd the speedboat killer, who many people believe is a coward.
    @HAYSIE
    My humble apologies , but I haven't been able to find a replacement for my break .
    I appreciate this will be horribly inconvenient for you , as you will be left to argue with yourself ..on the plus side though this does present you with an opportunity to actually win one . ;)
    edited May 2019

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Its a lost cause."

@HAYSIE
    My humble apologies , but I haven't been able to find a replacement for my break .
    I appreciate this will be horribly inconvenient for you , as you will be left to argue with yourself ..on the plus side though this does present you with an opportunity to actually win one . ;)
    Yet another post that in no way contributes to any debate.
    I have absolutely no problem with Assange answering any charges the Swedish government may choose to re introduce , and if necessary then extradite him to that effect .
    As far as the validity of those charges that remains to be seen . If he is found guilty of any rape/sexual offences , then I'd be quite happy for them to chop his ba lls off .
    However the whole situation with the US is a totally different ball game with a trumped up indictment aimed at ultimately suppressing journalism , and I sincerely hope this useless ineffective government doesn't get railroaded into pushing for a US extradition .

I have absolutely no problem with Assange answering any charges the Swedish government may choose to re introduce , and if necessary then extradite him to that effect .
    As far as the validity of those charges that remains to be seen . If he is found guilty of any rape/sexual offences , then I'd be quite happy for them to chop his ba lls off .
    However the whole situation with the US is a totally different ball game with a trumped up indictment aimed at ultimately suppressing journalism , and I sincerely hope this useless ineffective government doesn't get railroaded into pushing for a US extradition .

The point is that due to his cowardly hiding in the Embassy, the charges in Sweden were dropped.
    Had he not run away he would have been extradited to Sweden.
    There was no interest in him at the time from the US.
    So he has been hoisted by his own petard.
    He shouldn't have been such a coward.
    HAYSIE said:

The point is that due to his cowardly hiding in the Embassy, the charges in Sweden were dropped.
    Have you got a side bet with someone to see how many times you can use the word " coward" . ?

HAYSIE said:

Have you got a side bet with someone to see how many times you can use the word " coward" . ?
    If the cap fits...……….

HAYSIE said:

That's called deflection, applicable when you have no answer. You use it a lot.
    edited May 2019
    HAYSIE said:

Bolded bit is nonsense ..the US government were interested in destroying wikileaks as far back as 2008 and more than capable of pulling the dirtiest tricks to attain that in the process .

HAYSIE said:

Bolded bit is nonsense ..the US government were interested in destroying wikileaks as far back as 2008 and more than capable of pulling the dirtiest tricks to attain that in the process .
    August 2010 - The Swedish Prosecutor's Office first issues an arrest warrant for Mr Assange. It says there are two separate allegations - one of rape and one of molestation. Mr Assange says the claims are "without basis"

December 2010 - Mr Assange is arrested in London and bailed at the second attempt

May 2012 - The UK's Supreme Court rules he should be extradited to Sweden to face questioning over the allegations

June 2012 - Mr Assange enters the Ecuadorean embassy in London

January 2017
    Outgoing US President Barack Obama commutes the prison sentence given to US army private Chelsea Manning for leaking classified documents to Wikileaks.
    Mr Assange says he stands by his offer to agree to be extradited to the US if Mr Obama granted clemency to Manning.

21 April 2017
    US Attorney General Jeff Sessions says arresting Mr Assange is a priority. No charges have been filed against him in the US but US media outlets report that federal prosecutors are considering charges.

17 May 2017
    Chelsea Manning is released from Fort Leavenworth military prison in Kansas.
    edited May 2019
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

August 2010 - The Swedish Prosecutor's Office first issues an arrest warrant for Mr Assange. It says there are two separate allegations - one of rape and one of molestation. Mr Assange says the claims are "without basis"

December 2010 - Mr Assange is arrested in London and bailed at the second attempt

May 2012 - The UK's Supreme Court rules he should be extradited to Sweden to face questioning over the allegations

January 2017
    Outgoing US President Barack Obama commutes the prison sentence given to US army private Chelsea Manning for leaking classified documents to Wikileaks.
    Mr Assange says he stands by his offer to agree to be extradited to the US if Mr Obama granted clemency to Manning.

21 April 2017
    US Attorney General Jeff Sessions says arresting Mr Assange is a priority. No charges have been filed against him in the US but US media outlets report that federal prosecutors are considering charges.

17 May 2017
    I'm well aware of the timeline , and I'm saying that the US government were interested in him and wikileaks way before 2010...perhaps read what I have typed next time.

HAYSIE said:

No charges were brought. This is hard work.

During President Barack Obama's administration, Attorney General Eric Holder and officials at the Justice Department determined it would be difficult to bring charges against Assange because WikiLeaks wasn't alone in publishing documents stolen by Manning. Several newspapers, including The New York Times, did as well. The investigation continued, but any possible charges were put on hold, according to US officials involved in the process then.

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/20/politics/julian-assange-wikileaks-us-charges/index.html
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

No charges were brought. This is hard work.

During President Barack Obama's administration, Attorney General Eric Holder and officials at the Justice Department determined it would be difficult to bring charges against Assange because WikiLeaks wasn't alone in publishing documents stolen by Manning. Several newspapers, including The New York Times, did as well. The investigation continued, but any possible charges were put on hold, according to US officials involved in the process then.

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/20/politics/julian-assange-wikileaks-us-charges/index.html
    I didn't say any charges were brought , ( please read properly ) ..i said the US government were interested in destroying wikileaks back as far as 2008 .

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

January 2017

21 April 2017

17 May 2017
    I'm well aware of the timeline , and I'm saying that the US government were interested in him and wikileaks way before 2010...perhaps read what I have typed next time.
    So you agree that when the coward went into hiding. He was attempting to avoid extradition to Sweden on the rape and sexual assault charges, and nothing else. There was no threat of extradition to the US.
    The US were not interested in his extradition until 2017. When he agreed to be extradited as long as the US released Chelsea Manning from prison.
    They subsequently did this this but he reneged.
    US to file charges against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange – report
    Published time: 21 Apr, 2017 02:06
    Edited time: 21 Apr, 2017 13:10

Officials reportedly claim the Department of Justice is ready to file arrest charges against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange. Press advocates warn that if the US goes after the pro-transparency publisher, they could go after other news outlets as well.
    On Thursday, CNN and the Washington Post cited unnamed US officials as having information that the US has prepared charges to make arrests related to WikiLeaks publishing tens of thousands of military documents leaked by Army whistleblower Chelsea Manning.

https://www.rt.com/usa/385508-assange-justice-department-charges/