You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The ICC 2019 Cricket World Cup

pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
Before everyone starts shouting “ this is a poker forum “, I post this here to see if anybody else is looking forward to this and to start a thread so people can contribute there own thoughts. The lack of a general sports thread makes me wonder if people are interested, so please feel free to move somewhere else if you want to.

Ten teams, all playing each other once, leading to the top four playing in semifinals for the right to play the final and become World Champions. I like this format, rather than two different groups only playing the teams in that group. It should allow the best four teams, who are consistent, to reach the Semifinals. It also allows for the “ off day” everyone has from time to time and the wonderful British weather claiming the odd result. So who do we all think will make the semifinals, finals and more importantly, who will win it?

I think England and India are certain to be there. They have the two best batting lineups, both are better than average in the field and have competent bowling attacks. Of the rest New Zealand look the best “team” strong batting, well organised and energetic in the field and a decent bowling side. Australia, on paper, have a strong looking team, they have pedigree and are always fiercely competitive, England beat them soundly last year and on that performance I would not have given them a chance, but, World events tend to bring out the best in them. Pakistan and the West Indies have both shown batting ability in recent series against England, Chris Gayle had a monster couple of games , but can he last the entire tournament at his age? It will be a big ask. Both teams are poor in the field and need to find something on the bowling side of things to be a threat. South Africa have Amla , De **** and Markram at the top of the order but not much else, Rabada and perhaps Tahir in the bowling but with Steyn on the wane I don’t see them being in the business end of the tournament. Sri Lanka have a few talented batsmen, are woeful in the field and are outgunned in the bowling department. The sight of Malinga the slinger no longer strikes fear into opponents. Bangladesh are an almost carbon copy of Sri Lanka batting their strong point, they are slightly better in the field but again sadly lacking in wicket takers. Afghanistan have the best leg spinner in the world, two competent spinners to back him up but no seam bowling. I saw a little bit of their warm up game against Pakistan, the fielding was awful, three dropped catches in the first fifteen overs, when you are the biggest underdog you cannot afford to gift opponents extra lives. They are heavily reliant on their talismanic wicket keeper and swashbuckling opener on the batting side, one or two others have shown promise against some of the smaller nations.

One thing to note is that the ICC are controlling all the pitches and with some of them being used more than once, teams will need to be able to win in different conditions as the tournament goes on. It is for this reason that I think Afghanistan, with their very good spinners have a chance to upset one or perhaps two .

So I have England , India and New Zealand as a lock for three of the semi final spots.
The fourth team comes from Australia, Pakistan and West Indies. Australia lack a quality spinner and their much vaunted pace attack got taken apart by England, but they did beat India over the winter. Pakistan will get their quality leg spinner back, but how fit he can be is questionable. The West Indies are also lacking a quality spin option but have Andre Russell back in the squad, the biggest question for them is can Gayle stay fit throughout. Ooooh this is hard....... ok I will go for Australia, their squad just looks that bit stronger.

It will obviously depend on who plays who in the semis , but should it go the way I think, India and England should avoid each other and will contest the final. Everything points to England winning. Since the 2017 Champions Trophy they have 26 scores of 300 or more, the next best is 15, their run rate is 6.33 India is closest to that 5.87. Why then do I worry. Well the pressure will be enormous as they get closer to the prize, England have never won it before and have shown that their bowling can be vulnerable, especially if they have had to bat first and maybe not set the target they should have. A lot is being thrust onto Archer’s shoulders, and he has only played a couple of games, but he does have the god given gift of pace, real pace.

So after all that England for me. Sadly I will miss most of it as I shall be in America and doubt they will have much coverage.

Apologies if people are not interested, but, if you are add your thoughts and we can have some fun talking about the tournament.

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,197

No love for South Africa Nick?
  • Options

PS - we'll need to move this across to the Rail or a Sports Board, but let's leave it here for a few days to see if it helps it get a bit of traction first.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

The lack of Ab de Villiers, the advancing years of Amla and Steyn ( Amla oozes class but Steyn was never a great one day bowler, but could get wickets and wickets win matches) are the main reasons for my lack of love. They are not as electric as they once were in the field either, don’t underestimate the effect of fielding in this tournament. Markram looks a good player, but the middle order looks thin. They do have a new quick bowler but it will be a big ask for him to step up and take loads of wickets.
  • Options
    Vince_107Vince_107 Member Posts: 70
    Tikay10 said:

I like their bowling line-up. Rabada and Ngidi are both exceptional. Thin on the batting side with de **** and Faf as their main threats.

Not convinced New Zealand are a lock for the semis. They have a gun bowling side, but their batting is pretty hit/miss, relying heavily on Williamson to bat long and often.

For me it'll be England, India, Australia + NZ/SA in the semis. Warner looked like he'd never been away at the IPL, so I expect plenty from him. He'll thrive off the hostile receptions he'll receive too.
  • Options
    Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 864
    An absolute travesty that Scotland (and Ireland, Netherlands, Canada, Bermuda etc) aren't involved. May as well call it the ICC elite 10. Ridiculous number of games too and a very long tournament considering there are only 10 teams. If FIFA or UEFA did something like what ICC have done there would be meltdowns - can only think that cricket just isn't that popular (especially in the countries that have missed out) so there isn't really any public outcry or media attention to it
  • Options
    Just watched a hilarious over where the Afghan opener hit Shaheen Afridi for 21 off his over. Plenty of back and forth between bowler and batsmen, entertaining stuff. If this lad and Shahzad bat for any length of time against anyone they'll get runs rapidly.
  • Options
    gpc70gpc70 Member Posts: 1,997
    think we have (england) have every chance batting line up goes deep and with buttler in great form we could set big scores or chase 400+ no problem.this will be a run fest small grounds good wickets ie taunton. its possible 500 hundred will b maid by anyone playing afganistan can u imagine gayle butller koli or any other top bat getting in against that attack ,had a few quid at10s with sky i will deffo back worse 10/1 shots this year.
  • Options
    gpc70 said:

think we have (england) have every chance batting line up goes deep and with buttler in great form we could set big scores or chase 400+ no problem.this will be a run fest small grounds good wickets ie taunton. its possible 500 hundred will b maid by anyone playing afganistan can u imagine gayle butller koli or any other top bat getting in against that attack ,had a few quid at10s with sky i will deffo back worse 10/1 shots this year.

Yup, I've had a bet at 10/1 with Wm Hill (price gone now) that a team scores 500.
  • Options
    Vince_107 said:

Just watched a hilarious over where the Afghan opener hit Shaheen Afridi for 21 off his over. Plenty of back and forth between bowler and batsmen, entertaining stuff. If this lad and Shahzad bat for any length of time against anyone they'll get runs rapidly.

@Vince_107

Enjoying your cricket musings Vince, & just wanted to wish you good luck in Sunday's Vegas Stack Builder freeroll.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Vince_107 said:

@Vince_107

Enjoying your cricket musings Vince, & just wanted to wish you good luck in Sunday's Vegas Stack Builder freeroll.
    Thanks, i need it. When you're paying nearly £10k in rake for the month it's tough to make money :disappointed:
  • Options
    sillymidsillymid Member Posts: 81
    Great to have the World Cup back in England for the first time in 20 years. In 1999, we had just had a new born baby, so I was unable to attend any matches.

This time round I am a volunteer (we have been given the unfortunate name of "Cricketeers") at the matches in Taunton and my 20 year year old son is taller than me!

My semi-finalists are England, Pakistan, New Zealand and West Indies with Afghanistan as a possible surprise package (if they can get a few runs).
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,101
    There are 10 teams (runners). Of those, 3 teams (Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Afghanistan) are 125-1 or more to win with the bookies. They may well have victories against the others, but unlikely that 1 of those will make the Final 4.

I would be surprised if the Windies made the final 4. They are a match for anyone on their day, but making the Final 4 in this format will be difficult.

I believe England, Australia and India will make it. I would favour South Africa to pip New Zealand for the 4th spot.

England to beat Australia in the final. Now THAT would be special...
  • Options
    Not loving our chances in this game as things stand. Could do with Archer getting a couple of early ones. If De **** is still in after 10 overs or Faf gets going I can see them chasing these pretty comfortably. Still reasonably in the balance, but personally i'd have picked Wood ahead of Plunkett (in before Plunkett takes 6)
  • Options
    Vince_107 said:

Not loving our chances in this game as things stand. Could do with Archer getting a couple of early ones. If De **** is still in after 10 overs or Faf gets going I can see them chasing these pretty comfortably. Still reasonably in the balance, but personally i'd have picked Wood ahead of Plunkett (in before Plunkett takes 6)

AND HE HAS :smiley:
  • Options
    68Trebor68Trebor Member Posts: 1,943

WHAT A CATCH!
  • Options
    Decent performance from England. The pitch was not as true as it looked, I think they would have been reasonably happy with their total, might have wanted another twenty or so. Archer then showed impressive pace and as I thought South Africa did not have enough in the batting department. I also mentioned about fielding and England were excellent, plenty of runs saved with diving stops and Stokes' catch was superb ( although, he did admit he was out of position, so he had to catch it.)
    Good start to the campaign.
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,040
    68Trebor said:

WHAT A CATCH!

+1
  • Options
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,556
    They have a world cup in cricket? Did not know that.....
  • Options
    68Trebor68Trebor Member Posts: 1,943
    Glenelg said:

They have a world cup in cricket? Did not know that.....

It's a bit like the football, you're not involved. :D