You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Can Duesenberg cut it as an MTT reg? Let's find out...

Comments

• MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    MTTs demand a different mindset to cash. With cash if the fun player stacks you then generally they are still sat there and you can win your money back. If fun player gets you and you bust late on in a tournament it can be quite demoralising. Maybe similar to when you get hit and run in cash. As Myna said, will be more losing than winning sessions, its just the nature of the beast. I think as you play more you care more about playing well when deep and closing out MTTs rather than stressing too much about the £ result. Some days you get a result in one of your last games and it feels decent even though you may have only broke even or even still made a loss. Other days you make good profit but if you made an error when deep in one of your bigger games its super frustrating.

Keep positive and you will do fine...that's in the games I don't bust you from!
  • DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,746
    Thanks for the wise words and moral support guys :)

@Angmar2626 I completely agree with you regarding game selection and if this challenge was solely about trying to make the most profit possible over a 500 game stretch then I'd be much more choosy in terms of cherry picking the events I felt would yield the biggest ROI. I can't say with any confidence at all that I'm a winning player in some of the reg heavy turbo bounty hunters that run later in the evening and I know that even some of the big beasts of the Sky MTT scene have fairly marginal returns from them. I'm sure I'll be getting more selective well before the challenge is up but in the immediate term it's about testing myself and venturing into pasture new - last night was my first ever bash at the Midnight Express for example.

So, that leads me quite nicely on to Duesenberg's question of the day...

Looking at the Sky MTT schedule as a whole, what sample size of games do you think are required to determine whether or not one can be confidently be considered a winning player?

Secondly to that, at what sample size do you think a players ROI starts to average out to something akin to their long term expectation?
    @MattBates do you have any nice long holidays abroad coming up soon?
    Day 5.

A light session tonight with only 11 played due to having an early start tomorrow. Still running a little lumpy and it's starting to appear that I might make more money by just folding AA pre flop, but nothing like the horror show of the night before. Best result was £40 for 5th place in one of the freerolls, so it's looking like I'm finding my level :D.

Just the £6 loss on the night which almost feels like a victory all told and I also had the pleasure of not sharing a single table with that pesky Matt Bates fella.

I'm away for the weekend now so there'll be no more donations from me to the MTT community until early next week.

MTT's played: 86
    MTT's won: 0
    Profit/Loss: +£124.12
  • MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 725

Thanks for the wise words and moral support guys :)

@Angmar2626 I completely agree with you regarding game selection and if this challenge was solely about trying to make the most profit possible over a 500 game stretch then I'd be much more choosy in terms of cherry picking the events I felt would yield the biggest ROI. I can't say with any confidence at all that I'm a winning player in some of the reg heavy turbo bounty hunters that run later in the evening and I know that even some of the big beasts of the Sky MTT scene have fairly marginal returns from them. I'm sure I'll be getting more selective well before the challenge is up but in the immediate term it's about testing myself and venturing into pasture new - last night was my first ever bash at the Midnight Express for example.

So, that leads me quite nicely on to Duesenberg's question of the day...

Looking at the Sky MTT schedule as a whole, what sample size of games do you think are required to determine whether or not one can be confidently be considered a winning player?

Secondly to that, at what sample size do you think a players ROI starts to average out to something akin to their long term expectation?

At least 250 games at a particular stake before you can say with any degree of confidence whether you are winning or losing at that stake and at least 1000 games at a particular stake before something akin to your true ROI in those games becomes apparent. And even then it's never going to be all that accurate because it's such a fluid thing and influenced by so many factors which are also in a state of flux (are you improving or regressing relative to the field? Is the value in the games increasing or decreasing? Are prize-pools increasing or decreasing? etc etc)

Have a nice weekend and I hope to see you back fighting the good fight next week...
    (spotted you at the cash tables earlier, stay focussed on the challenge please ;) )
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,226

@MattBates do you have any nice long holidays abroad coming up soon?

Yes, as I would assume @Mattbates will have won a Vegas Package.
    edited June 2019
    Day 6 (and a bit).

On Monday I got back from a weekend away in Bristol full of drinking and general tomfoolery and was really looking forward to getting back to the challenge. I played 3 cheap and cheerful afternoon games before breaking for dinner with the intention of a big evening session to follow but, alas, falling soundly asleep the moment I put my knife and fork down soon put paid to that idea - hence this update being day 6 and a bit!

Tuesday showed a definite improvement on the volume front but I am somewhat struggling to get enough games in to hit the 500 target on time. One of the adjustments I'm finding most difficult to deal with is the lack of time flexibility with grinding MTT's when compared to cash. My focus definitely deteriorates after a while and it's easy with cash games to just take a break for a couple of hours and return feeling fresh - something which isn't so much of an option with tourneys.

A win remains sadly elusive but I am getting closer to a moment of glory. A 2nd place in an afternoon £5.50bh is now my highest finish of the challenge so far and I also had my biggest cash of the month with a 3rd place in tonight's Gold Rush - I was pretty chuffed with that after scraping through the bubble with just 5bb's to my name. Despite the lack of wins I'm most certainly happy to be showing a reasonable profit thus far :).

MTT's played: 107
    Profit/Loss: +£609.58
  • Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Didn't you FT the Goldrush last week? As a cash game player who admits to 500bb+ pots making him 'frothy with excitement', how do you feel about the fact that so far your most profitable game is a turbo bounty hunter..?

Gg!
  • waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,066
    Nice results. I'm sure the first win is just around the corner.
    edited June 2019

Didn't you FT the Goldrush last week? As a cash game player who admits to 500bb+ pots making him 'frothy with excitement', how do you feel about the fact that so far your most profitable game is a turbo bounty hunter..?

Gg!

You're right - I was 4th in the Gold Rush the previous week. To add to the discombobulation, the event I've won more than any other is the equally speedy 7 at 7.

I think there's a possibility that I play fundamentally better in turbo structured games. I'm a real nit at heart and often find myself having to battle against those natural inclinations when I know they're doing me more harm than good. In a slower format it's easier for me to nit up a little and become slightly stifled by 'wait for a better spot' syndrome. In a turbo I know I don't have that luxury so will take more aggressive and higher variance lines at the first opportunity (except for situations with significant ICM implications of course).

It's equally possible that the above is a load of boll*cks and it's just variance over an insignificant sample size :)
    waller02 said:

Nice results. I'm sure the first win is just around the corner.

Thanks Waller. The stellar results you're achieving in your bankroll challenge are certainly helping to keep me on my toes :)
  • K0BAYASHlK0BAYASHl Member Posts: 2,027
    We all know if his gonna win a MTT, he will use his run good in the Sunday Major. If he wins, he wins BIG.
  • GREGSTERGREGSTER Member Posts: 384
    verb (used with object), dis·com·bob·u·lat·ed, dis·com·bob·u·lat·ing.
    to confuse or disconcert; upset; frustrate:

I like the way you throw the occasional word in that I've never heard before, had to look the above one up! Surely that's the first time that's been used on this forum.

I don't think you have been playing the £3.30 Reload, you should add this to your schedule I think.
    K0BAYASHl said:

We all know if his gonna win a MTT, he will use his run good in the Sunday Major. If he wins, he wins BIG.

I certainly hope so! :)
    GREGSTER said:

I like the way you throw the occasional word in that I've never heard before, had to look the above one up! Surely that's the first time that's been used on this forum.

I don't think you have been playing the £3.30 Reload, you should add this to your schedule I think.

For some reason I have a real aversion to the £3.30 Reload. It's usually at a time in a session when I already have a lot of other games going and so only gets added if I've had a number of premature bust outs. I don't know why I feel that way really - it's one of the few events on here I've actually managed to win in the past!

In our house discombobulate is a frequently used word - it's generally used by my missus to describe the confused and befuddled state in which I seem to spend most of my time.

Your post immediately reminded me of this... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSYiT2iG08

Day 7.

An ok day I guess all things considered. For the best part of the evening I really did play quite poorly - especially at the peak of the session when I was 8 tabling. I think I've yet to find my sweet spot in terms of table count/volume vs the overall quality of my play, but discovering these kind of things are all part of what this challenge is about.

Despite playing like a muppet, I just about eked out a smidgen of profit on the night. 2 more FT's were reached but I still couldn't bring home the bacon so the wait goes on for the first victory. Maybe @K0BAYASHl is right and the poker gods are saving up my run good for a big one :)

MTT's played: 125
    Profit/Loss: +£619.01
  • MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    You need

GREGSTER said:

For some reason I have a real aversion to the £3.30 Reload. It's usually at a time in a session when I already have a lot of other games going and so only gets added if I've had a number of premature bust outs. I don't know why I feel that way really - it's one of the few events on here I've actually managed to win in the past!

In our house discombobulate is a frequently used word - it's generally used by my missus to describe the confused and befuddled state in which I seem to spend most of my time.

Your post immediately reminded me of this... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSYiT2iG08

So much love for this!
    edited June 2019
    Day 8.

Played a fair bit better tonight which was pleasing. The session started rather horribly with a quick succession of brutal bad beats in my early games but thankfully mother variance decided to stop punishing me quite so much as the night wore on. I did get slightly peeved with myself though for committing ICM suicide in an £11bh when I went from chip leader to bubble boy in three consecutive hands - I thought the bubble had already burst so was ramping up the aggression to try and build a commanding stack. Doh!

Three more FT's were reached but I still can't pop my challenge cherry - 2nd in a £5.50 freezeout was the closest I came tonight. I have to confess it's starting to bug me and right now I might even take winning a £2.20 deepstack over a 2nd in a main event!

Another small profit was booked which helps ease the frustration, so I can't grumble too much and making a few quid along the way is definitely helping keep up the enthusiasm level for the challenge. I do wonder how I'd be feeling about the whole thing if I was down money at this point though (and yes, I'm well aware that it's still a very possible outcome with a long way to go).

MTT's played: 142
    Profit/Loss: +£712.43
    Funniest hand of the challenge yet and possibly the cheapest bluff I've ever got through. Had some fun bants with miniman afterwards too :)
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    march07Small blind40.0040.001537.50
    miniman88Big blind80.00120.004255.00
    Your hole cards
    • Q
    • J
    DuesenbergRaise160.00280.002860.00
    rabbit11Fold
    splashiesFold
    DollieFold
    march07Fold
    miniman88Call80.00360.004175.00
    Flop
    miniman88Check
    DuesenbergBet160.00520.002700.00
    miniman88Call160.00680.004015.00
    Turn
    miniman88Check
    DuesenbergBet340.001020.002360.00
    miniman88Call340.001360.003675.00
    River
    miniman88Bet80.001440.003595.00
    DuesenbergRaise160.001600.002200.00
    miniman88Fold
    DuesenbergMuck
    DuesenbergWin1520.003720.00
    DuesenbergReturn80.000.003800.00
  • waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,066
    Nice work again last night. I witnessed your ICM suicide as I was one of the shorties that benefitted from it, I just assumed it was done out of pity following our table chat .