You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Can Duesenberg cut it as an MTT reg? Let's find out...

Comments

• Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,742
    MynaFrett said:

...I might have to tap up @MynaFrett for some coaching - he's been making @MattBates look like a complete novice over the past few weeks :).

:D
    I was wondering where my heater had gone.

Can I have it back please?
  • Options
    Question for any MTT regs...

Do you find the average MTT field is tougher in the summer months compared to the busier winter period?

I was just wondering if the seasonal drop in numbers alters the reg/rec ratio of the average game or if an equal number of serious players tend to head outside and enjoy the weather along with their recreational counterparts.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited July 2019
    The period when the sky guys were in Vegas had a big effect on the higher buy in games difficulty level.

I am not really aware of seasonal differences in difficulty level but also haven't really thought about it too much.

At a guess I think you get some regs going to Vegas/on holiday/head to the beer gardens during Summer months which offsets the reduced numbers playing. Also, there tends to be a natural balance to these things and I would assume some of the weaker regs will have some games they will play based on field strength so they may avoid games if they think reg to rec ratio is no longer in their favour.

I think there will be a bigger effect in certain games, like quickdraw and Sunday 7pm £55bh when numbers start to fall.
  • Options
    MynaFrett said:

* worth noting that this list isn't actually the top 30 earners from MTT on SKY in 2019 as it is missing a number of big hitters who are either blocked or not opted in on SharkScope… so it should be even easier for you to achieve those goals above ;)

Trying to think what big hitters aren't on the list. Do find it interesting to know people's views on best regs and it is a question I often get asked about at live events. Also have seen some amusing chats between some regs recently about results and who has the bigger......results..... I assume it was results they were comparing the size of....definitely was some size related comparisons going on.

Don't know if you saw (and I don't play on stars these days) but some guy who I wasn't aware of joined back on pocket5's and has higher cashes than Moorman which I didn't think would be possible!
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,539
    edited July 2019

How was Vegas?

Seriously HOT. It's quite amazing how such a place exists in such a scorching environment.

Everything about the place is jaw dropping. I can't recommend the American south west enough, particularly if you're road tripping. Just driving along and looking around is so much fun.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,346
    MattBates said:

MynaFrett said:

* worth noting that this list isn't actually the top 30 earners from MTT on SKY in 2019 as it is missing a number of big hitters who are either blocked or not opted in on SharkScope… so it should be even easier for you to achieve those goals above ;)

Trying to think what big hitters aren't on the list. Do find it interesting to know people's views on best regs and it is a question I often get asked about at live events. Also have seen some amusing chats between some regs recently about results and who has the bigger......results..... I assume it was results they were comparing the size of....definitely was some size related comparisons going on.

Don't know if you saw (and I don't play on stars these days) but some guy who I wasn't aware of joined back on pocket5's and has higher cashes than Moorman which I didn't think would be possible!
    Pretty sure I would be thereabouts.

Who has rejoined pocket 5s?
  • Options
    MattBates said:

The period when the sky guys were in Vegas had a big effect on the higher buy in games difficulty level.

I am not really aware of seasonal differences in difficulty level but also haven't really thought about it too much.

At a guess I think you get some regs going to Vegas/on holiday/head to the beer gardens during Summer months which offsets the reduced numbers playing. Also, there tends to be a natural balance to these things and I would assume some of the weaker regs will have some games they will play based on field strength so they may avoid games if they think reg to rec ratio is no longer in their favour.

I think there will be a bigger effect in certain games, like quickdraw and Sunday 7pm £55bh when numbers start to fall.

Thanks Matt - appreciate the feedback as ever and the Vegas factor certainly makes a lot of sense with the bigger buy in stuff.

I was having a deeper nose around the forum last night and came across "Matt Bates In The Well" from 2014, which made for quite an interesting read. Are you still involved in staking at all? Don't worry, I'm not asking for a stake! I'm merely curious if that is still worth your time/risk.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

MattBates said:

MynaFrett said:

Pretty sure I would be thereabouts.

Who has rejoined pocket 5s?
    I'd be surprised if Arrogant didn't figure somewhere in there too.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,346

How was Vegas?

Seriously HOT. It's quite amazing how such a place exists in such a scorching environment.

Everything about the place is jaw dropping. I can't recommend the American south west enough, particularly if you're road tripping. Just driving along and looking around is so much fun.
    Featured my all-time favourite weather forecast while out there (first Sunday):-

"93F-Cool". (To be fair, think the next 2 days were 105/108!).

Even so, the humidity back in the UK made it seem even hotter here.

The South West of the USA is awesome. And nearly all of it (Nevada, California, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and Texas) was once part of Mexico.

The clues are in the place names. So "Colorado" is Red River, San Francisco is St Francis, Los Angeles The Angels etc.

Nevada seems to have lost the plot. Nevada is Snow-Capped, while Las Vegas is The Meadows.

Glad to hear that Matt managed to win some money while blinking through his tears at missing out on Vegas this time :)

Sorry for temporarily derailing the thread-well done on recent results.
  • Options

How was Vegas?

Pleased to hear you had a fun trip.

I've been fortunate enough to go to Vegas a couple of times and jaw dropping is probably the most apt description I can think of. Besides the almost obligatory trip to the Grand Canyon, I've never ventured beyond the confines of Sin City itself when out there, but it's definitely something I'd look to do if/when I go again. Tikay recently posted some pics of a little road trip he took when out there this year and it looks like a fascinating part of the world to explore further.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

How was Vegas?

Sorry for temporarily derailing the thread-well done on recent results.
    Anything that breaks up the monotony of my tales of serial min-cashing low volume MTT-ing is more than welcome :)
  • Options
    Day 22-23.

Another 2 day update. I've got a bit lazy at doing these after every single session but I guess it may make more sense if there's little to report? There are only so many ways you can try and make "Played 12 MTT's and broke-even" sound interesting, not that there's anything particularly thrilling to report tonight either...

Starting with Tuesday, it was a bit of a nothing session really. I'd recently watched some training videos about bounty hunters which resulted in punting a little wider than I might normally. I may have gone a little too far at times but it's always good to give my inner nit a shake-up and the session wasn't a complete disaster, although I did finish down around £20 on the night. That made for my second losing night on the trot so there you go @waller02, I am human after all!

Wednesday brought a little more joy on the money front, despite continuing to punt just as hard. All the bigger buy-in stuff was a complete flop but a deep run in the 7 at 7 and my highest ever finish in the mini (2nd place is sooooo frustrating!!!) saw me finish £174 to the good.

It's nice to be back at peak profit for the challenge but it's feeling like it's frustratingly slow going at the moment. Hopefully I can get the punting levels just right and hit a big score soon :).

MTT's played: 295
    MTT's won: 3
    Profit/Loss: +£1,357.07
  • Options

MattBates said:

Thanks Matt - appreciate the feedback as ever and the Vegas factor certainly makes a lot of sense with the bigger buy in stuff.

I was having a deeper nose around the forum last night and came across "Matt Bates In The Well" from 2014, which made for quite an interesting read. Are you still involved in staking at all? Don't worry, I'm not asking for a stake! I'm merely curious if that is still worth your time/risk.
    No, haven't staked for a while

MattBates said:

No, stopped staking a few years back. Basically I needed the money/time involved in it for other things so had to stop. I think staking takes up a lot more time and money than people realise. Especially when you have players who play on a few sites. From a risk perspective you don't want players having crazy amounts on each site so needing to be around to sort swaps/send money can get a bit of a pain. Always tended to be players winning on same sites so its finding someone who say wants 888 when you have excess party. Some sites have play through requirements so you have to be careful with that.
    I didn't get involved in the coaching side of things but that is also time consuming and you need to be flexible to make sure it is times when players can attend.
    Also, I think you need to support your players so its trying to keep them motivated. Review HH/spots (some of this can be done later on but personally I like to look at spots soon after they happen as I think you have more info at the time about the spots.)
    I do like to rail deep runs too so that takes up time too. Some players would keep deep runs quiet at the time. Others would let you know they were top 10 in a 10k runner field after 20mins!

Basically I think if you do staking it needs to be something you are spending a decent amount of time/money on.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,038
    Nice result in the mini mate. Unlucky not to take it down or were you outplayed HU as usual?
  • Options
    Thanks Waller.

Let's just say that my opponent adjusted perfectly once he'd realised what a complete and utter calling station I am when HU :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the interesting reply Matt. Staking definitely looks to be more time consuming than I'd have first thought.

I hate the idea of being staked myself. I'd feel guilty when I lost and resentful when I won.
  • Options
    Day 24.

A mixed bag of a session tonight. I drew blanks in virtually everything I played except for the Main Event which proved to be a session saver thanks to a small cash for 13th place plus 7 heads taken along the way. My exit was a slightly annoying one as I open shoved AQ utg for 14bb's and got looked up by the QT of new forum legend @clock123, but couldn't hold. It's enough to make me wonder if certain players are preferred by the RNG ;).

On the plus side, It had been a little while since I'd had any joy at all in the bigger buy-in games in my schedule, so it's good to feel like I'm not just winning in the small stuff and then giving it all back in the big ones.

At least the profit figure is still heading in the right direction, even if it's slow going :).

MTT's played: 308
    MTT's won: 3
    Profit/Loss: +£1,403.13
  • Options
    clock123clock123 Member Posts: 180
    Don't worry it happened to me abit later, shoulda almost trebled up and took another bounty but suckered out my kk vs aq all in pre flop, the wheel keeps turning as required
  • Options

Thanks for the interesting reply Matt. Staking definitely looks to be more time consuming than I'd have first thought.

I hate the idea of being staked myself. I'd feel guilty when I lost and resentful when I won.

People do think it is a lot easier than it is. The key to it working well is making it a partnership. Aside from the access to games someone may not be able to play, if you have great coaching which improves someone's game and help with the mental side of the game and motivation etc then a backing deal can be really good for a player.

Also, some players play better when backed as it removes some of the money concerns you can have when playing and they just worry about the poker and play better with less concerns. Being backed does require a certain mindset and it doesn't work out for some. If you see it as a partnership then I don't think you resent sending your backer money as you are both working together to make money.

You will get some players that just need money and can kind of be left to it but I think they are rare.