You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Video Assistant Referee.

Comments

• lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,004
    Surprise surprise yet another **** up by VAR...

I believe in Father Christmas more than VAR...Some shocking decisions today.

• johnjoe81johnjoe81 Member Posts: 709
    edited December 2019
    absolute farce , that pukki one is a disgrace too , at first they said it was cause he was coming back from an offside position which was irrelevant as he got back onside and wasnt itefering with play , then they said it was because he was offside when the ball was played.
    it really is spoiling the game and they should change the rule to the strikers advanatge if his hand, toe , genitals or finger is offside, cracking goal too.
  • dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    Awful decisions every week.

Including the blatant push on Mendy yesterday.
    And no, I'm not a City fan.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,981
    johnjoe81 said:

absolute farce , that pukki one is a disgrace too , at first they said it was cause he was coming back from an offside position which was irrelevant as he got back onside and wasnt itefering with play , then they said it was because he was offside when the ball was played.
    it really is spoiling the game and they should change the rule to the strikers advanatge if his hand, toe , genitals or finger is offside, cracking goal too.

People always blame VAR-it is the rules that are wrong.

It was the (poor) commentators who were so busy whining about VAR that they ignored the clear pictures showing how they deemed it to be offside.

Hand and finger don't count as offside. Can't score a goal with them. What they need to change is the amount of body parts that count as offside. This one (like many) was the attacker's armpit. That needs changing. Can't blame VAR for correctly ruling as things stand.

Would (and should) have been a cracking goal. But blame the current rules, not VAR.
  • johnjoe81johnjoe81 Member Posts: 709
    Essexphil said:

johnjoe81 said:

People always blame VAR-it is the rules that are wrong.

It was the (poor) commentators who were so busy whining about VAR that they ignored the clear pictures showing how they deemed it to be offside.

Hand and finger don't count as offside. Can't score a goal with them. What they need to change is the amount of body parts that count as offside. This one (like many) was the attacker's armpit. That needs changing. Can't blame VAR for correctly ruling as things stand.

Would (and should) have been a cracking goal. But blame the current rules, not VAR.
    surely when it gets back to the actual ref he would use common sense then and allow the goal?

I like it for penalties and red cards, but disallowing goals for the most minute details is down to VAR , there should be margin for error and the striker getting the benefit when its so close like this.

he is onside for me
    Whether VAR cameras/lines/angles show that an 'armpit/elbow/left bol lock' was in an offside position,it still comes down to the VAR man at Stockley Park to make the final decision and his decisions today prove that VAR in it's current format is not working,as will be shown next season when the rules are changed,that however does not help the teams/managers this season whose season/jobs could be decided by a man looking at a monitor.
  • chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    Get rid of VAR for offsides. If it’s used for measuring millimeters,it’s doomed to failure.
    Leave it to the lino. Then just boll ock him/her after the game, traditionally.

Stop all this playing of triangles at 100mph, more long balls, with two large units battling it out 💪
    It would be far more exciting, but most need convincing.
    A good example of the long ball for the Norwich second goal,💩decision.lino didn’t flag, did he.
    Get rid of all the pundits, the game has become very messy with over analyzing. Zzzzzz.
    Good health🍻
    The VAR decision makers are still being consistently inconsistent...

edited February 2020
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,627
    how many human errors have been missed VAR supposed to enhance the game
    if there,s human error in VAR then you might as well scrap it and just use a ref
    stokefc said:

how many human errors have been missed VAR supposed to enhance the game
    if there,s human error in VAR then you might as well scrap it and just use a ref

Totally agree,despite my posts about VAR on here I actually agree with it in principle.But when there are so many inconsistencies week in week out,surely something has to change.As far as I can see,all that VAR has done is to shift the blame/responsibility to a single man sitting in a studio instead of the referee on the pitch,both of whom are capable of making mistakes,so we are no further advanced than the old system of the referees decision(rightly or wrongly) is final. If there was a poll of fans as to whether to continue with VAR next season in it's current form,I'm confident the majority would vote overwhelmingly against it continuing.
  • SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,026
    edited February 2020
    How the VAR overlookers could miss that OTT tackle by Lo Celso I do not know. Definitely a red card SHOULD have been shown for it and I am a Spurs fan who likes Lo Celso as a player and does not want to lose him to a ban.
    As it stands VAR is making a mockery out of our beloved sport yet the Premier League/FA refuse to make any changes, i.e. bring in someone who knows how these things work- Rugby Union TMO, NFL review team are just two examples of personnel who know what to look for in these types of instances. They, or someone of similar ilk, could work with the VAR team and show them how to use it correctly, because, at this moment in time it is not doing the job it has been brought in to do.
    Billions of people around the World tune in to watch the EPL every week but if this situation with VAR is not resolved then those viewers will turn off their TV's or watch something else that is not so full of inconsistency week in, week out.
    As @lucy4 has stated, I also agree with the principle of VAR but something has to be done and fast.
  • madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297

Goal-line technology is great and has proven to work...why? because it has taken away the human factor

But the VAR human- can't stand it...NOT the ref or assistant but the 'clear and obvious' mistakes being made in a portacabin elsewhere

Personally, I love the debate about the decisions made/not made by the human referee

I know it will never go back to goal line technology only but...

• Red_KingRed_King Member Posts: 2,850
    SidV79 said:

How the VAR overlookers could miss that OTT tackle by Lo Celso I do not know. Definitely a red card SHOULD have been shown for it and I am a Spurs fan who likes Lo Celso as a player and does not want to lose him to a ban.
    As it stands VAR is making a mockery out of our beloved sport yet the Premier League/FA refuse to make any changes, i.e. bring in someone who knows how these things work- Rugby Union TMO, NFL review team are just two examples of personnel who know what to look for in these types of instances. They, or someone of similar ilk, could work with the VAR team and show them how to use it correctly, because, at this moment in time it is not doing the job it has been brought in to do.
    Billions of people around the World tune in to watch the EPL every week but if this situation with VAR is not resolved then those viewers will turn off their TV's or watch something else that is not so full of inconsistency week in, week out.
    As @lucy4 has stated, I also agree with the principle of VAR but something has to be done and fast.

Then how long before Adverts are included while waiting for VAR decisions?