You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Video Assistant Referee.

Comments

• Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    Essexphil said:

Was it handball? Yes. The benefit of the doubt must have been the Everton attacker levering himself up via Alli's shoulder. Spurs were lucky there.

Examples of VAR being (IMO) wrong? How many times did VAR show that Richarlison dived? 6 times? And not even booked. Or when Gomes deliberately smashed Son in the face.

But no-one has mentioned a time when VAR got it spot on. The ref only booked Son for that horrendous challenge. But that was swiftly (and rightly) changed to a red.

It was ball to hand, which shouldn't be handball but wasn't ther e achange of rules which says any ball to hand is now handball! Bonkers
  • Options

I hate the red sh*te with a passion but even I am struggling to justify this one.

Shame it didn't cost them the win though.

VAR and the people in control of it want chucking in the bin.

Agree with every word :)
    But nobody mentioned Man U..the real redshite.. >:)
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,632
    whats this VAR you speak of :/
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,026
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I think one possible solution to this type of decision,is to perhaps introduce some sort of exclusion zone. An area (say 2 foot) after the last man that a stray elbow,big toe,armpit,knee etc entering that area does not affect the decision. Any body part past that line,even by 1 inch is classed offside,that would stop the his 'knee,toe,right b0ll0ck' was offside,giving the officials more leeway to make sensible decisions.
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    madprof said:

For me...I just about accept goal line technology...traditionalist at heart but accept that this works and is the way forward

I used to love the post match debates about offsides, fouls , handballs etc etc..

Yes the (human) referee gets it wrong at normal speed-so what...it all come around; all teams get their share of good and bad decisions

I love watching football with a passion...VAR's taken the edge of it all for me. The game is poorer for VAR

Its only big money that wants it in place because of the £ significance of the decisions when they are wrong

Personally I'd scrap it and go back to the way it was but keep with the beeping ball when it is over the line..

I believe the Tv companies love it too because it provides talking points for them.

Otherwise I agree 100%
  • Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    It depends on whether you wanna near as correct decision or not.
    Benefit of the doubt in cricket is long gone.
    1mm in or out in tennis can be on crucial point.( The line judges have been to spec Savers)
    A rugby ball rocking on a try line.
    A horse winning by no more than mm’s.
    There’s big bucks at stake, so it’s important.
    Most other sports have replay reviews, it’s just something to get used to.
    Watching a game via a referees head cam wouldn’t be worth watching, he doesn’t see what the pundits and viewers see, to the most part.
    There doesn’t seem to be players rolling about on the floor anymore(cheating, used to be called gamesmanship 🤔)
    Whether VAR has anything to do with that?

The very first game my mum went to up the Bridge, about 1970ish, Chelsea v Ipswich, Chelsea scored through the side netting👍
  • Options
    A dubious goal about 50 years ago is hardly a convincing argument.
    If it was just for the absolute howlers like that or Maradona or Thierry Henry, then I might accept it because it takes one look at a replay to see how obvious it is.

But it is ruining football for match going supporters.

And they are still getting many decisions wrong.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    If you want to watch in disbelief at wrong decisions get rid of VAR.
    Frank Lampards 2010 goal that wasn’t, Carroll’s claw back etc etc.
    In rugby, it can take a fair few minutes to decide tries sometimes.
    Their games are a similar spectacle.
    It should have been brought in years ago, but Sep Blatter ruled the world then.
    Just remember, don’t throw your pint up into the air if your team scores.
    It could be a costly error.
    The offsides need to be a lot more accurate,the technology isn’t there .
    Sticking a band across the pitch isn’t good enough.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Goal-line technology is great, as the line doesn't move so it's irrelevant if the ball goes 1mm or 1metre over the line the decision will always be correctly given.

This same concept doesn't transfer to offside decisions. Players move so fast and the ball moves so fast that you can never be 100% sure on either the attackers location or when the ball was played at that exact moment. If you're gonna flag someone as offside for being 1mm ahead of play, then you need to know exactly (and I mean exactly) when the ball was played. We don't have the technology for that, nor would I want it.

Posted this before but it explains why the use of VAR in this manner is absolutely flawed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIsrzV2hatA

• Options
    I used to think some referees favoured certain teams.

VAR is convincing me I was right.
  • Options
    Penalty not given Liverpool go up other end and score.The VAR man bottles out of disallowing the goal and awarding City the penalty.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    lucy4 said:

Penalty not given Liverpool go up other end and score.The VAR man bottles out of disallowing the goal and awarding City the penalty.

People need to stop blaming VAR for everything. This was nothing to do with VAR itself, and everything to do with the mass of changes introduced this season, coupled with the pressures on the officials.

1. There is a clear handball by the City player first. In every other season before this, that would be a free kick to Liverpool; but

2. The rules have changed. Now, if CITY score, it is disallowed, but if they do not, it is play on unless the ref has blown; then

3. The Liverpool handball. Last season, you could argue whether or not that is a penalty. This season? Clear penalty for me.

4. Under the current rules, the VAR official should theoretically say
    (a) I am going to ignore the City handball;
    (b) Once they play on, penalty to City for the 2nd (identical) handball;
    (c) The ensuing riots are not my problem

This is all madness. But none of it is the fault of VAR. The problems start when different rules apply to attackers and defenders, and end with a hugely difficult call for the official. But, according to the current laws of the game, he got it wrong.

• Options
    Anyone one remembers the inanimate object incident? Sunderland v Liverpool? Beach ball which the match ball hit?

Even then the rules were the game had to be stopped but no, the referee made a mistake...he forgot that was the case...

Yes, I’ve let it go, but I’d rather be talking about these types of incidents than perceived VAR errors, caused by rule changes and interpretation of rules, which by the way we’ve always had

In the old days, I think it might have been ball to hand but if a ref had given City a pen....well, I could see why...maybe...

The principles of VAR are yet to make a +ve difference....never will for me and I’m a Liverpool fan!

Dinosaur from Zummerzet
  • Options
    When it was announced that VAR was being used this season,it was heralded that the all seeing,all knowing technology that is VAR,would stop the injustices of refereeing decisions and end all the 'morning after' arguments.Three months down the line it's clear that this has not been the case,all it seems to have achieved is to transfer the refereeing injustices to a single VAR man sitting in a studio in Stockley Park.The mistakes are still being made,the 'morning after' debates are still happening & teams are still suffering as a result.In my opinion the game is no further advanced than before VAR was introduced,the only difference is now we have a different person/system to aim our complaints at.I'm all for technology if it helps the game to right the wrongs but VAR in it's current form,with all it's failings and inconsistencies is not the answer.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Who is this man at Stockley Park?
    Is it Stig?
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,632
    chilling said:

Who is this man at Stockley Park?
    Is it Stig?

well he,s got a helmet for a head so maybe
  • Options
    Too late for the teams involved Mr Riley.

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Another weekend, another crock of nonsense from VAR.

https://youtu.be/lzHJC0SFyjw
  • Options
    goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,789
    Utter joke once again.......

How/why are we ever giving offside against Sterling there? One quick look at the still image & its clear he's level, which = onside.

#VAROUT

:D