You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Video Assistant Referee.

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,174

Perhaps the football authorities could watch a game or two in the Rugby World Cup & see how it should be done. Rugby League, a minority sport if ever there was one, have done it well for years, so have Cricket (superbly) & Tennis.

Only football is unable to get it right, & I suspect that's for the same reason they are holding the World Cup Finals in Qatar, last season's Europa League Final in Ukraine, & Premier League Clubs (& their supporters) have a ridic schedule over Christmas - the authorities are corrupt.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Tikay10 said:

Perhaps the football authorities could watch a game or two in the Rugby World Cup & see how it should be done. Rugby League, a minority sport if ever there was one, have done it well for years, so have Cricket (superbly) & Tennis.

Only football is unable to get it right, & I suspect that's for the same reason they are holding the World Cup Finals in Qatar, last season's Europa League Final in Ukraine, & Premier League Clubs (& their supporters) have a ridic schedule over Christmas - the authorities are corrupt.

Need VAR to look at your geography.

• Options

Ukraine is not in Azerbaijan yet?

'Phone Putin.
  • Options

Meanwhile, VAR gets it wrong again in the Man U - Liverpool game.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    Here we go again. Why doesn't the ref go and look at the footage himself? That's what the pitchside monitors are there for. Clear foul.
  • Options
    I thought VAR worked well during the World Cup, mainly coming to correct decision. The difference being that the ref went and had a look for himself virtually every time.
  • Options

Now Liverpool score, it goes to VAR & is correctly overturned.

When it works, it works well. We just need consistency.
  • Options
    I know I keep chirping on about it, but I think they should make it compulsory for the ref to run over to the monitors and review the decision himself. I feel this would reduce the amount of poor decisions that we are getting every single week.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,026
    Football is now a comedy of errors,no one knows what's gonna happen next. In years to come we'll all be reminiscing about how we should go back to the good old days of referees making bad decisions and just getting on with it,how the decisions even themselves out over a season.Well I'm already looking back with fondness to those days...
  • Options
    Sounds like VAR is having a busy time this afternoon in the Arsenal v Palace & Norwich v Man Utd games,so far 3 VAR awarded penalties.
  • Options
    A clear and obvious mistake...No just yet more f**k ups from someone sitting in a studio at Stockley Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y13VsCZ9ijg
  • Options
    Trying to justify this decision by claiming his armpit was offside!!!

• Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    edited November 2019
    I hate the red sh*te with a passion but even I am struggling to justify this one.

Shame it didn't cost them the win though.

VAR and the people in control of it want chucking in the bin.
  • Options

I hate the red sh*te with a passion but even I am struggling to justify this one.

Shame it didn't cost them the win though.

VAR and the people in control of it want chucking in the bin.

Agree with every word :)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    VAR has **** up yet again in the Everton v Spuds game, for the Deli Ali handball picture to follow when I can find it.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    Was it handball? Yes. The benefit of the doubt must have been the Everton attacker levering himself up via Alli's shoulder. Spurs were lucky there.

Examples of VAR being (IMO) wrong? How many times did VAR show that Richarlison dived? 6 times? And not even booked. Or when Gomes deliberately smashed Son in the face.

But no-one has mentioned a time when VAR got it spot on. The ref only booked Son for that horrendous challenge. But that was swiftly (and rightly) changed to a red.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Was it handball? Yes. The benefit of the doubt must have been the Everton attacker levering himself up via Alli's shoulder. Spurs were lucky there.

Examples of VAR being (IMO) wrong? How many times did VAR show that Richarlison dived? 6 times? And not even booked. Or when Gomes deliberately smashed Son in the face.

But no-one has mentioned a time when VAR got it spot on. The ref only booked Son for that horrendous challenge. But that was swiftly (and rightly) changed to a red.

I think the ref got it right with the Son yellow as it wasn't his tackle that caused the injury,it was a combination of the players foot getting stuck in the turf and Aurier's challenge.
  • Options
    Another joke decision using VAR (and Spurs seeing the benefit once again, they do run well with VAR, yet are still doing terribly).

I'm guessing they can't move the goalposts midseason however from 20/21 they need to get back to absolute basics with this technology.

If someone is fouled in the box and the ref misses it, get VAR involved and award the penalty.
    If someone does a red card tackle/incident and the ref misses it, get VAR involved and send them for an early bath.
    If someone scores who was clearly offside, get VAR involved and disallow the goal.
    If something happens whereby the ref needs to view the pitchside monitor, encourage them to do that instead of dissuading them cos it might take a minute or 2.

Don't use VAR to flag attackers offside for having their right or left bo11ock ahead of the last defender.

I think the delay at Spuds today was 4 minutes, to then determine that his big toe was offside. There is no way the technology has been developed for this sort of impact.

As I've said many times, used correctly VAR could be a great addition to the game. In it's present guise it's a shambles and of detriment to the beautiful game.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    For me...I just about accept goal line technology...traditionalist at heart but accept that this works and is the way forward

I used to love the post match debates about offsides, fouls , handballs etc etc..

Yes the (human) referee gets it wrong at normal speed-so what...it all come around; all teams get their share of good and bad decisions

I love watching football with a passion...VAR's taken the edge of it all for me. The game is poorer for VAR

Its only big money that wants it in place because of the £ significance of the decisions when they are wrong

Personally I'd scrap it and go back to the way it was but keep with the beeping ball when it is over the line..