You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

147 challenge

NoEa5yCa5hNoEa5yCa5h Member Posts: 609
Hello, I'm Pete, 33, I have been playing poker for over a decade in varying formats. I started with Limit Hold'em cash games, due to the first Poker book I bought being Limit Hold'em. When those games didn't run as much, I started playing No Limit Hold'em cash games and tournaments. I've gone back and forth between playing low stakes cash and low stakes tournaments, with more hands being played at cash, mostly on Stars.

I've decided to focus on tournaments this year and solely on SkyPoker. Having read an update from Tikay not so long ago detailing SkyPoker in its current guise may only last until the middle of this year, and a call for more threads to keep the forum going, I've decided to detail my results and goals here. The reasoning for the thread title, "147 challenge" is that it is 147 days until June 1st, which is when my goals will be based up until. It is also a number I like, being a keen snooker player/watcher (don't play as much now).

I've been struggling with enthusiasm of late to put the sessions in, so having read a few people with similar struggles that have found being accountable on the forum has helped, it gives me reason to try also. It won't be high volume or high stakes stuff. I don't have much money in my SkyPoker account and I have a full-time job (Office job, rather not go into specifics) and other time constraints.

Goals by June 1st:

[ ] Play 1,000 tournaments
[ ] Average ROI of 25%+
[ ] Weigh 159 pounds or less

I did say it won't be high volume stuff. I've played under 2k tournaments lifetime on SkyPoker according to Sharkscope. I am not sure how attainable the ROI is for me, Sharkscope shows I have an average ROI of 52% but I am not sure how much that is skewed by freerolls. I've gone for an average ROI goal, rather than monetary goal as this is determined by playing good at all stakes (I think). I will be playing mostly £11 & lower buy-ins to start with but will try some satellites into the Main & Sheriff. As I like to read how people are doing in terms of actual money results, I will record wins/losses with the weekly updates I plan to do.

The target weight is in the healthy weight range for my height & age according to the BMI calculator. I currently weigh 185 pounds.

Weekly goals in order to attain the above goals:

Below is the plan for the next five weeks, at which point, I will re-evaluate:

[ ] Play at least 40 tournaments a week
[ ] Only eat in an 8 hour period each day
[ ] Workout 5 times a week

I've gone on long enough.

Have a good evening, good luck at the tables & up the Villa.

Comments

• Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,039
    Good luck with both goals. Just try and avoid comfort eating after Villa get relegated in May and you should be fine.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,250

This looks excellent.

As the pesky kids say, "subscribed".
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,486
    Good stuff
    Good luck
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,579
    Gl tho not a fan of 8 hr. Oh and what does workout entail? Walking to McD's dont count btw :-)
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,537
    I hope your planning to change the title tomorrow to 146 challenge and each dayafter the same .
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,460
    Good luck with the challenges
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,562
    GL with this.

Remember, there are no easy pots in this game. However, if you put maximum effort in, I am sure you will clear up. I will be first in that queue to get tips off you when you do ;)
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,742
    Best of luck with your challenge. Myself, @Itsover4u and @68Trebor are happy to confirm that Villa fans clearly make the best poker players :D

Fyi, freerolls make virtually no difference to your ROI figures on Sharkscope given that you don't actually invest anything to play them in the fist place. Below are your results with and without freerolls included. I think the only reason for any difference in the ROI's may come from the few freerolls which have optional rebuys.

• Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,486

Best of luck with your challenge. Myself, @Itsover4u and @68Trebor are happy to confirm that Villa fans clearly make the best poker players :D

Fyi, freerolls make virtually no difference to your ROI figures on Sharkscope given that you don't actually invest anything to play them in the fist place. Below are your results with and without freerolls included. I think the only reason for any difference in the ROI's may come from the few freerolls which have optional rebuys.

That doesn’t really work though
    Hendrik62 is also a Villa fan (although he does support about 6 other teams too)
  • Options
    Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 868
    Fun idea for a challenge, will follow with interest.

Good to see the forum is in good health this new year
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Second best player in the morning MTTs :kissing_heart:

Glgl, look forward to following! :smile:
  • Options
    goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,799
    Best of luck with the challenge B)

I'm a big snooker fan too. Who's your favourite player to watch? What's your highest break?
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. Especially considering a few of you also write up your results/challenges and will have noticed I haven't commented before. FWIW I add 1 to your view count each time you update.
  • Options
    waller02 said:

Good luck with both goals. Just try and avoid comfort eating after Villa get relegated in May and you should be fine.

Thanks. Congrats on your challenge, and good luck going forward. Regarding the Villa, I'd like to say I have nothing to worry about but that'd be a lie given performances of late.
  • Options
    Glenelg said:

Gl tho not a fan of 8 hr. Oh and what does workout entail? Walking to McD's dont count btw :-)

Thanks. Any reason for not being a fan of 8 hours? It's not something I've tried before but I wanted to do something that is easily accountable. I was thinking of calorie counting but from experience unless I plan everything I want to eat in advance, I'm to idle to keep track of it all. The workouts last for around 15 minutes and involve things like push ups, dips and planks. Now you mention it, a walk to McD's would last longer...
  • Options

Agreed :smile: Thanks for taking the time to show me that.
  • Options

Best of luck with the challenge B)

I'm a big snooker fan too. Who's your favourite player to watch? What's your highest break?

Thanks. Sadly, it is not 147. I've had an 80 break. John Higgins was my favourite for a long time, top class in all departments at his peak. How about yourself?
  • Options

Second best player in the morning MTTs :kissing_heart:

Glgl, look forward to following! :smile:

Thanks. Consider my donations as supporting your challenge. Good luck with it.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,743
    Good luck with this, I shall follow with interest.
    I don’t watch much snooker these days, back in the day I was an avid viewer of the likes of Steve Interesting’ Davis, Jimmy ‘Whirlwind’ White etc etc.
    Do you think today’s players match up to the best of the past?
  • Options
    tomgoodun said:

Good luck with this, I shall follow with interest.
    I don’t watch much snooker these days, back in the day I was an avid viewer of the likes of Steve Interesting’ Davis, Jimmy ‘Whirlwind’ White etc etc.
    Do you think today’s players match up to the best of the past?

Thanks Tom. I haven't seen much of Steve Davis at his peak. I started watching during the end of the Hendry era and the start of what I would call the O'Sullivan, Higgins & Williams era. It's difficult for me to imagine those three at their peak not being able to match up to the likes of Davis.