You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Desktop PC

Comments

• Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,021
    edited February 2020
    Ahhh. Sorted I was in the wrong HDMI port on PC!

What a tit!

Assume I was in the motherboard one instead of the Graphics card one
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    The entertainment value of this thread has much improved :D

Can we get a picture of your new set-up once you're all sorted?
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,400
    So, you've switched the pc on at the back.

Have you a separate on/ off buttons on monitor and PC?

• Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,530
    If the monitor is on it should auto detect that you're trying to connect via hdmi if it's receiving a signal from the pc. You can try pressing a button on monitor to manually tell it to connect via hdmi.

Other than that... There is probably, tho not definitely, more than 1 hdmi slot. One towards top of pc on the mobo and one further down the bottom where your graphics card will be installed.

Also, if your fans are on etc that doesn't mean the pc is working unless you hear a beep when you turn it on. Holding power button on pc for 4 seconds will hard power it off if you're having a problem doing that.
  • Options
    mumsie said:

So, you've switched the pc on at the back.

Have you a separate on/ off buttons on monitor and PC?

Yeah its sorted mate cheers. I was in the wrong HDMI port on pc, I should have bought a Fisher Price
  • Options
    waller02 said:

Ahhh. Sorted I was in the wrong HDMI port on PC!

What a tit!

Assume I was in the motherboard one instead of the Graphics card one

Jackpot.
  • Options
    I won't be having a second monitor anyway, no room on the desk I bought.

Hopefully I can figure the rest out now (but I'm not off to a good start haha)

Thanks
  • Options
    You could think about whacking a monitor above it on an arm and use it for lobbies, TV etc
  • Options
    edited February 2020

You could think about whacking a monitor above it on an arm and use it for lobbies, TV etc

Well I'm an expert in connecting them now so it's an option. I'll see how I get on with one for now then take it from there.

Thanks for your help, I was close to aborting mission.
  • Options
    waller02 said:

I won't be having a second monitor anyway, no room on the desk I bought.

Hopefully I can figure the rest out now (but I'm not off to a good start haha)

Thanks

Buy a bigger desk.
  • Options
    I have also realised I have no sound as monitor doesn't have speakers, I assumed the pc would have built in speakers.

Also, tested a load of tables, it's great and can fit more than enough on, however when on forum etc. it looks like this (rather than full screen). Is there a fix for this please?

• Options
    Cnrt+ to magnify page.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    This is why people get multiple monitors and why I use an ultra wide for tables. You can end up having to scale everything up or like a guy who's pc I fixed once - use a giant magnifying glass. :D

Google 4k dpi scaling and all will be explained. You can right click the chrome icon as well. Then properties>compatibility and somewhere in there is a custom scale setting that will scale just chrome and not everything else.
  • Options
    Thanks (again)
  • Options
    Pro tip for the scaling and playing multiple tables - have the scale set to whatever opens the Sky tables at your preferred size. It saves you having to constantly resize every table.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,231

If the monitor is on it should auto detect that you're trying to connect via hdmi if it's receiving a signal from the pc. You can try pressing a button on monitor to manually tell it to connect via hdmi.

Other than that... There is probably, tho not definitely, more than 1 hdmi slot. One towards top of pc on the mobo and one further down the bottom where your graphics card will be installed.

Also, if your fans are on etc that doesn't mean the pc is working unless you hear a beep when you turn it on. Holding power button on pc for 4 seconds will hard power it off if you're having a problem doing that.

Kapowblamz you seem to know what your talking about with PC's, I have a 9 year old PC and I updated to windows 10, now when I am on the poker it freezes quite a lot just playing one table, do think I need more RAM ( I have 8 gb ).
  • Options
    rabdeniro said:

Kapowblamz you seem to know what your talking about with PC's, I have a 9 year old PC and I updated to windows 10, now when I am on the poker it freezes quite a lot just playing one table, do think I need more RAM ( I have 8 gb ).
    The last thing it would be is the quantity of RAM that you have. 8gb is optimal for poker. Anything more is a waste of money. There's a very remote chance it's the speed of your RAM being 9 years old but highly unlikely.

It is more likely to be your windows installation (possibly drivers) or your gpu (graphics card). Windows 10 themes can actually be pretty heavy on your gpu especially if it's 9 years old and especially if it's an integrated gpu.

Do you know if you have a dedicated graphics card in the machine?
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,231

rabdeniro said:

The last thing it would be is the quantity of RAM that you have. 8gb is optimal for poker. Anything more is a waste of money. There's a very remote chance it's the speed of your RAM being 9 years old but highly unlikely.

It is more likely to be your windows installation (possibly drivers) or your gpu (graphics card). Windows 10 themes can actually be pretty heavy on your gpu especially if it's 9 years old and especially if it's an integrated gpu.

Do you know if you have a dedicated graphics card in the machine?
    My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti, I know it is slow compared to today's cards, but I thought it would be enough for what I do.
  • Options
    Does it only happen on Sky? The problem is the Sky software just isn't that well optimised and add that to the fact that modern nvidia drivers are most definitely not that well optimised for an old card like the 550 ti then things get out of whack a bit.

If you haven't updated your drivers in a while using the nvidia gefore control panel/experience software then you could try that. If that didn't fix it then my next step would be to roll back to a much earlier win10 nvidia driver but that can get pretty complicated.

Diagnosing and solving things like freezes and stuttering is a massive pain in the ****. Most of the time I just end up reinstalling windows.
  • Options

Pro tip for the scaling and playing multiple tables - have the scale set to whatever opens the Sky tables at your preferred size. It saves you having to constantly resize every table.

The scaling is perfect for my tables on the download client so I might try scaling chrome only. Btw I'm not being even more stupid than I already appear regarding audio? The monitor definitely doesn't have speakers 100% but is there something I'm missing with the pc (HP Pavilion Power 580) just asking before I buy speakers later.

Sorry for being a pain in the ****!