You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

From despair to where? SR23's cash/no cash diary

SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
edited May 2020 in Poker Chat
Uh-oh, this again.

My life is falling apart (again) and I thought a diary might help stitch it back together. Last May, I started a diary and within three weeks I was earning £500 a day working in Holland. Before that, I started a diary and span up a really small sum of money into a far more impressive sum of money. Earlier this year some good stuff happened after starting a diary and I managed to donate a bit of money to a couple of charities.

I could do with some more good stuff happening to me. I'm still being plagued by my old co-conspirators depression and anxiety, have maddening tinnitus and insomnia, drink too much, may or may not take drugs too much and sometimes get exploding head syndrome. True story.

Alongside that spiteful little psychological and emotional cocktail this diary should serve as a chance to talk about some other issues bothering me including guilt, lack of work, writing, not getting laid, wanting to buy a flat, wanting to start up a charity and tricky turn decisions. Actually, perhaps all of the above are caused by - or at least hampered by - tricky turn decisions. Stupid turns.

Blimey, all that sounds hugely depressing but it'll be fun, honest, and I'm hoping to post a lot of interesting hands/spots.

Realise I have never done an about me, so here goes: I'm 44, have played poker on and off since being asked to write a column about it in 2012, and last had sex in a Canadian prison in November.

Starting roll: £150

Comments

• Options
    Okay, it wasn't actually a prison but a former prison that had been converted into a hostel. It had bars on the doors and everything. Would recommend.
  • Options
    NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459
    I had a couple of tourists walk in on me doin' it with my ex-wife while staying at a hostel in London. It was also very prison-y. Turned out the room keys worked on all the doors in the hostel. Seems fine to me.

Anyway, good luck with your sex/poker mission. I recall you being pretty annoying to play against during the charity sidebet, so I'm sure you'll do fine.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,727
    Hi Steve

It’s good to see you posting, although the underlying reasons are a concern.
    A wise man once gave me sage advice - Kiss.( pretty sure you are more adept at acronyms than I)
    This applies to all of life’s dilemmas .
    I wish you well.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,479
    edited May 2020
    Always great to have you on the forum, Steve

Keep battling those demons

Be nice to have a drink with you again at some poker shindig before too long
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,239
    Hi

Interesting post. Will definately keep an eye on. I see a lot of similarities with myself.

Think a diary will help with a lot of those issues you mentioned. Not sure it will help you help you get laid , but you never know.

GL with it
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,261
    Hi

Looking forward to your missives. I was only thinking the other day that it seemed forever since you went to Holland.

If you could find a correlation between starting a diary and getting laid, this may become the busiest platform in the world.

Gl and take care.

• Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,021
    Good to have you back posting Steve, although sorry to hear that the going has been tough of late.

Best of luck mate.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,171

Great to see you back Steve, though I'm saddened about the stuff & that. I've learned a great deal about how serious anxiety is recently, it's far more powerful than I ever realised. (I'm not the sufferer, but someone I know very well is).

GL mate.
  • Options
    NOSTRI said:

I had a couple of tourists walk in on me doin' it with my ex-wife while staying at a hostel in London. It was also very prison-y. Turned out the room keys worked on all the doors in the hostel. Seems fine to me.

Anyway, good luck with your sex/poker mission. I recall you being pretty annoying to play against during the charity sidebet, so I'm sure you'll do fine.

I genuinely read this as "I had a couple of tourists doin' it with my ex-wife while staying at a hostel in London" the first time around. Glad it wasn't that and it all turned out okay.

Dude, I'd never really seen this before as a sex/poker mission but that's exactly what it is! And I never use screamers! Amazing, I feel like Jeremy out of Peep Show.
  • Options
    tomgoodun said:

Hi Steve

It’s good to see you posting, although the underlying reasons are a concern.
    A wise man once gave me sage advice - Kiss.( pretty sure you are more adept at acronyms than I)
    This applies to all of life’s dilemmas .
    I wish you well.

Thanks for the good wishes, Tom, appreciate it. Yeah, I broadly agree with keeping things simple but some of these issues seem to have run away from me and may require ... oof, who knows. I'm working on it. Lovely to have you here.
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

Always great to have you on the forum, Steve

Keep battling those demons

Be nice to have a drink with you again at some poker shindig before too long

**** yeah, that'd be grand. I tried to meet up with @hhyftrftdr and some others in Milton Keynes a few years ago for a poker-y get together but turned up a week early. It'd be ace to get a few of us together later in the year.
  • Options
    MP33 said:

Hi

Interesting post. Will definately keep an eye on. I see a lot of similarities with myself.

Think a diary will help with a lot of those issues you mentioned. Not sure it will help you help you get laid , but you never know.

GL with it

Thanks very much indeed man. I've found diaries/writing in general pretty helpful for working through/airing things which does (or at least sometimes does) ease the pressure. I'm with you though, not sure it will ease the getting laid pressure.
  • Options

Hi

Looking forward to your missives. I was only thinking the other day that it seemed forever since you went to Holland.

If you could find a correlation between starting a diary and getting laid, this may become the busiest platform in the world.

Gl and take care.

Haha, indeed. Thanks, Holland was an absolute delight - was hoping to get there again this spring/summer on the Eurostar (also an absolute delight) but, well, germs innit.
  • Options
    waller02 said:

Good to have you back posting Steve, although sorry to hear that the going has been tough of late.

Best of luck mate.

Cheers Ryan, it has been tough going but hopefully nothing I can't handle. This sort of stuff helps, thanks.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Great to see you back Steve, though I'm saddened about the stuff & that. I've learned a great deal about how serious anxiety is recently, it's far more powerful than I ever realised. (I'm not the sufferer, but someone I know very well is).

GL mate.

Ah, dude, it can really play havoc with you. And by you I mean one/me. I've had that and, erm, mental ill-health stuff going on for decades and have in the main been able to deal with it by periods of therapy, medication, heavy drinking, losing myself in work and/or exercise, somehow neatly sidestepping it before it got too bad and so on but sometimes it can just do a real number on you. And by you I mean one/me.

Anyway, it's a joy to have you hanging out here with all the cool kids.
  • Options
    No stand out hands of note this evening and I refuse to post so-so coolers, flips, getting it in w/AA v KK etc. It's all about turn spots, this diary, and perhaps now and again hands like the below where you go from, 'okay looks like I have to sweat a combo draw' to '...oh, okay.'
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    SMARTGOATSmall blind£0.05£0.05£20.15
    XXBig blind£0.10£0.15£8.93
    Your hole cards
    SR23Raise£0.30£0.45£19.79
    DogsArseFold
    SMARTGOATFold
    XXCall£0.20£0.65£8.73
    Flop
    • J
    XXBet£0.30£0.95£8.43
    SR23Raise£1.55£2.50£18.24
    XXRaise£4.06£6.56£4.37
    SR23All-in£18.24£24.80£0.00
    XXAll-in£4.37£29.17£0.00
    SR23Unmatched bet£11.06£18.11£11.06
    XXShow
    • A
    SR23Show
    Turn
    • J
    River
    SR23WinFull House, 7s and Jacks£16.75£27.81
  • Options
    engyengy Member Posts: 723
    looking forward to reading this SR23. which poker mag did you write for?
  • Options
    engy said:

Cheers Engy - I wrote "An Idiot's Guide to Poker" for Unibet (roughly 90 columns) and another 60 or so columns for NordicBet. Lots of the mags were folding/scaling back just as I began my poker writing "career" and I didn't get to write for any actual print publications. Sad times.
  • Options
    NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459
    SR23 said:

engy said:

Cheers Engy - I wrote "An Idiot's Guide to Poker" for Unibet (roughly 90 columns) and another 60 or so columns for NordicBet. Lots of the mags were folding/scaling back just as I began my poker writing "career" and I didn't get to write for any actual print publications. Sad times.
    There's money to be made online too. I used to be a freelance writer and many of the online sites will pay you £50 or so for a good pitch. It's not much but if you can pump them out it adds up. Some of the more prestigious places pay more. Can think of at least a few that would be interested in stuff about poker. Colson Whitehead wrote a really great series about his time at the WSOP on Grantland 10-odd years ago. They had a great oral history of the Moneymaker WSOP too. I think places like Deadspin, Daily Dot, Buzzfeed, etc would all go for poker stuff too depending on the pitch.

I wanted to shop a write-up of the Galfond challenge around recently but I've forgotten how to write non-academic stuff.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Any diary that has a reference to the Manics in the title will have my attention for at least the meantime.

I completely forgot that you turned up to Milton Keynes a week early.
    Of all the places in the world to arrive too soon, I'd say MK has to be about the nut worst.

Memories to last a lifetime.