You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

'Death Sentence' For Pubs.

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,792
edited December 2020 in The Rail
Pub in locked-down Liverpool is renamed 'The Three Bellends' with sign featuring faces of Boris Johnson, Dominic Cummings and Matt Hancock
The James Atherton in New Brighton, the Wirral, was renamed overnight
Daniel Davies, owner of the bar, changed the name in response to the lockdown
Pubs across the area have been forced to close after Covid-19 cases increased
Locals have welcomed the change of name despite its industrial language

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8840463/Pub-locked-Liverpool-renamed-Three-Bellends.html

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,792
    New Tier 2 lockdown rules are a 'death sentence' for pubs, Boris Johnson warned

Pubs in England will be "killed off" by thrusting the nation back into a tier system next month, industry bosses have warned Boris Johnson.

The Prime Minister yesterday confirmed that England will return to a tougher regional three tier system from December 2, though details of which areas will be in which tiers will not be set out until Thursday.

And the rules have been particularly hard on pubs and restaurants.

Under Tier 2, pubs must close other than for people ordering substantial meals, while in Tier 3, all restaurants and pubs must operate as takeaway only.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/new-tier-2-lockdown-rules-are-a-death-sentence-for-pubs-boris-johnson-warned/ar-BB1birM4?ocid=msedgntp
  • chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    The reset master plan is in full flow.
    All pubs become licensed restaurants.Coming soon.

It’s coming.

The Daily Express describes Boris Johnson as offering an "olive branch" to MPs opposed to the tougher coronavirus restrictions in England.

The i estimates that up to 100 MPs are considering voting against the tighter rules.

To head off a Commons rebellion, the Daily Telegraph reports that the prime minister is going to offer hard-hit pubs and restaurants extra cash.

The Daily Mirror says research suggests that the hospitality business could lose out on £7.8bn because of the restrictions.

While the Sun points out that friends will be able to meet in just over 700 of England's more than 38,000 pubs from Wednesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-55125701
    edited November 2020
    The benefits of turning pubs into eateries/ restaurants.
    Potentially...

Less folks with drinking problems.
    Less antisocial behaviour.
    Less p uke on the streets.
    Fewer broken glasses/ bottles on the streets.
    Fewer drunken drivers.
    Fewer fights taking up police resources,and cutting numbers to A+E.
    Less drug pushing.
    Less need to urinate by a statue,and elsewhere outside.
    Lessen the need to eat fast junk food.
    Enjoy.

Social clubs👍
    It’s coming.

HAYSIE said:

Is a Scotch egg a substantial meal?
    Are they using Ostrich eggs now?
    It won’t be happening in Wales😊
    I don’t think they are happy chappies on the world renowned No1.

15 pints with a scotch egg tells you a lot about some members of the public 🤭sorry, media.
    I’m guessing those folks are the ones Haysie would want to “ save lives”.
    And guess who endlessly shares this sort of c rap.

chilling said:

15 pints with a scotch egg tells you a lot about some members of the public 🤭sorry, media.

You are probably the only person on this forum that thinks you are well informed.

The scotch egg story, came from a George Eustace interview on Sunday.

He is a government minister.

As usual he was confused by the governments own rules.

Scotch egg to the rescue: minister says it can be 'substantial meal'
    George Eustice says dish/snack can constitute substantial meal as long as there is table service

A Cornish pasty isn’t, unless it’s with chips.

A single slice of pizza wasn’t, but then it was.

And now, the environment secretary, George Eustice, has decreed, a scotch egg probably is, because it’s a starter, apparently.

The question, of course, is what constitutes a substantial meal: once a dilemma for dieters looking for an excuse for that mid-afternoon pork pie, now a matter of national importance.

Pubs in tier 2 areas will only be allowed to serve drinks if they come alongside a proper feed, the government has said, leading to some confusion over where, exactly, the line is between a bar snack and a feast. For pork scratchings or a Sunday roast, the answer is obvious. So, Eustice was asked on LBC on Monday, what of the scotch egg?

“I think a Scotch egg probably would count as a substantial meal if there were table service,” Eustice improvised. “Often that might be as a starter, but yes, I think it would.” But, of course, it’s not as simple as that.

Even before the scotch egg question arose, ministers and officials were having a hard time providing clarity on the wider point.

It was the housing secretary, Robert Jenrick, who declared that a pasty counted only if it came with sides, which is a frankly bizarre way to eat a pasty; the pizza dilemma, meanwhile, left police in Manchester in knots when they stopped local favourite Common from serving single slices that the venue described as “**** massive”, only to eventually back down.

In the end, Rogers views the question as a sideshow. “Rather than going down this rabbit hole, the real point of the guidance is to stop people having a casual drink without eating.

“We will make sure that people sit down in a safe environment, well spaced out, servers in masks. If you take those precautions, it’s perfectly safe to have something off a plate.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/30/scotch-egg-to-the-rescue-minister-says-it-can-be-substantial-meal
    It’s quite obvious what the intention is regarding plans on visiting pubs.
    Do you think a minister is going to run through the whole range of foods served by every pub in the land. Do you think the public needs some guidance?Actually, forget that,I’m forgetting the halfwits.
    I didn’t quite catch the audio of him saying washing a scotch egg down with fifteen pints.
    Are you chalking up more points? Is this going alongside points gained by Hancock supposedly having a drink after time, Stanley Johnson not wearing a mask, or my odd typo. Get a life.
    Sorry, it’s on hold in Wales . Cheers🍺

I think this Scotch egg issue is going to run and run.
    Can @HAYSIE keep me updated please.
    chilling said:

It’s quite obvious what the intention is regarding plans on visiting pubs.
    Do you think a minister is going to run through the whole range of foods served by every pub in the land. Do you think the public needs some guidance?Actually, forget that,I’m forgetting the halfwits.
    I didn’t quite catch the audio of him saying washing a scotch egg down with fifteen pints.
    Are you chalking up more points? Is this going alongside points gained by Hancock supposedly having a drink after time, Stanley Johnson not wearing a mask, or my odd typo. Get a life.
    Sorry, it’s on hold in Wales . Cheers🍺

I think the real point is that the government put a rule in place without thinking about the consequences.
    They say that you cant have a drink without ordering a substantial meal.
    Yet when they have to define a substantial meal, they fall to bits, and cant cobble together a reasonable definition that they can agree on.
    The front pages above are just taking the mickey out of them, rather than your impression that they are somehow a serious story.
    They are getting the mickey taken out of them because they havent got a clue.

“I think a Scotch egg probably would count as a substantial meal if there were table service,” Eustice improvised. “Often that might be as a starter, but yes, I think it would.”

It was the housing secretary, Robert Jenrick, who declared that a pasty counted only if it came with sides, which is a frankly bizarre way to eat a pasty;
    chilling said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g_horo5iCI