You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

'Death Sentence' For Pubs.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,109
    chilling said:

I think this Scotch egg issue is going to run and run.
    Can @HAYSIE keep me updated please.

ENVIRONMENT Secretary George Eustice’s family farm shop sells Scotch eggs and pork pies.The shop, called Trevaskis, near Camborne, Cornwall, also sells sausage rolls, fruit and veg.Mr Eustice’s dad Paul started growing his own fruit in the early 1980s before later expanding the business to include a tea room and a restaurant.
  • Options
    chilling said:

Brilliant, the rule is a substantial meal, yet they cant define the difference between a substantial meal, and a snack.

SNACK OR MEAL
    Last night, the PM’s spokesman refused to draw a line between a snack and a meal.

Small snacks such as a packet of crisps or pork scratchings are definitely out.

But pressed on whether the rules permit pints being served alongside sausage rolls, pork pies or a sandwich, he said: “I’m obviously not going to get into the detail of every possible meal.”

Previously, ministers stated a Cornish pasty might count if served with chips or salad.

Pub landlords say they still face financial ruin from the return to the tiered system tomorrow that will see 30,000 boozers unable to reopen.

Paul Bristow, Tory MP for Peterborough, said: “What pubs need is the substantial meal rule reversed. They don’t want handouts, they want the ability to trade.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13343124/pub-lockdown-scotch-egg-substantial-meal/
  • Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

ENVIRONMENT Secretary George Eustice’s family farm shop sells Scotch eggs and pork pies.The shop, called Trevaskis, near Camborne, Cornwall, also sells sausage rolls, fruit and veg.Mr Eustice’s dad Paul started growing his own fruit in the early 1980s before later expanding the business to include a tea room and a restaurant.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
  • Options
    chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    You asked to be kept up to date.
  • Options
    chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

TF Scotch Egg (Free Range)

REGULAR PRICE£1.95

"Welcome to our website! I hope it encapsulates the rich diversity of activity at Trevaskis and shows how very proud we are of our ethos and our fantastic team. I look forward to meeting you in person - on the farm, in the restaurant or in the farm market. Come and say hello!"

GILES EUSTICE
    OWNER

https://shop.trevaskisfarm.co.uk/search?type=product&q=scotch+eggs
  • Options
    What % of the population regularly visit pubs? A tiny %.
    All the booze in pubs is overpriced. When it’s not it’s generally happy hour or some Mickey Mouse scheme to encourage binge drinking.
    So, save yourself some money and your health. Close them all.
  • Options
    Keep the updates going, best thread of yours👍 👏👏👏👏
  • Options
    chilling said:

What % of the population regularly visit pubs? A tiny %.
    All the booze in pubs is overpriced. When it’s not it’s generally happy hour or some Mickey Mouse scheme to encourage binge drinking.
    So, save yourself some money and your health. Close them all.

Michael Gove tucks in to ‘substantial meal’ row by claiming scotch egg ‘with pickle and salad’ is a starter

Michael Gove has issued further clarification on what does, and does not, count as a substantial meal in pubs and bars – stating that he believes a “a couple of scotch eggs… with pickle on the side” would constitute a starter.

Ministers have been forced to clarify guidance for hospitality firms which states alcohol can only be sold alongside a substantial meal as part of the measures implemented under tier 2 restrictions to limit the spread of Covid-19.

However a day after Environment Secretary George Eustice suggested the porcine-poultry hybrid could form part of a substantial offering, Mr Gove has attempted to bulk up the plate.

He however could not be drawn on the specifics of what would make up a substantial meal.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/other/michael-gove-tucks-in-to-substantial-meal-row-by-claiming-scotch-egg-with-pickle-and-salad-is-a-starter/ar-BB1bw7Rl?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    chilling said:

Keep the updates going, best thread of yours👍 👏👏👏👏

Pity you dont have one to compare it with.
  • Options
    I stopped opening the odd thread or two ages ago.
    Your threads are just so entertaining.
    Your whinging, ignorance and flaming can’t be matched.
  • Options
    chilling said:

I stopped opening the odd thread or two ages ago.
    Your threads are just so entertaining.
    Your whinging, ignorance and flaming can’t be matched.

Yours werent.
  • Options
    Mr Gove was interviewed three times yesterday, each times he was asked the scotch egg question, and each time he gave a different answer.

• Options
  • Options
    Can you get a TAKEAWAY delivered to the pub? Matt Hancock dodges questions on 'substantial meal' loophole - as savvy landlords reveal their plans to get around restrictions

Matt Hancock (pictured left) has today dodged talk over a 'substantial meal' loophole, which could see pubs team up with takeaways in order to keep pulling pints. In the latest round of interviews involving ministers facing a grilling over food and pubs, the Health Secretary blanked questions on whether watering holes could use takeaway services as way to continue serving alcoholic drinks. He instead said it was 'very clearly the principles in law at what is and isn't expected' and warned those who broke the law could face court action. It comes as savvy landlords of so-called 'wet pubs' - which do not traditionally serve food - have revealed their plans to get round the government's new Covid restrictions. In Worcester, one pub is teaming up with a nearby fish and chip shop in order to stay open under Tier 2 rules. Mark and Debie Daniels (pictured bottom right), of The Brewers Arms (pictured top right), which has no kitchen, has partnered with Nick Zipiti of St John's Fish Bar, according to Worcester News.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9009079/Matt-Hancock-dodges-questions-substantial-meal-loophole-savvy-landlords-reveal-Tier-2-plans.html
  • Options
    Loophole after loophole.
    Get a takeaway delivered to the pub.
    If that is outlawed and the pub has to provide the meal.
    Get the Landlord to order your takeaway.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

The Daily Mirror is calling on the government to save the hospitality industry with the nearly £2bn that supermarkets are handing back in business rates relief given at the start of the pandemic. It suggests setting up a rescue fund to support pubs, bars and restaurants who may struggle to survive beyond Christmas. Supermarkets have done the right thing - the paper says - and now is the time for the chancellor to do the right thing too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-55181829
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Barman in tier 2 shares pictures of binned food as he begs drinkers to only buy pints if hungry

A barman in a tier 2 area has urged people to only buy pints if they are hungry, after having to bin uneaten food.

Will Dalrymple claimed he had witnessed entire meals being scraped into the bin untouched just so drinkers could enjoy a round of pints.

Under the government’s latest three-tiered system of coronavirus rules, pubs and bars in tier 2 areas must close to the public unless operating as restaurants and can only serve alcohol with “substantial” meals.

Mr Dalrymple, who admitted the new rules were “confusing”, posted images on Twitter showing uneaten sandwiches, salad and chips which he claimed had been binned after people only bought them so they could have a drink.

In a series of tweets, he said: “If you're desperate to go to/support a pub, go when you're hungry.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/barman-tier-2-shares-pictures-211502780.html
  • Options

Coronavirus lockdown restrictions make the front page of the Sun, which reports that pub landlords are asking the PM for help. The paper says just one fifth of pubs could be open this Christmas because of "crippling" Covid tier rules that force some pubs to shut. It estimates that nearly 10,000 pubs will shut for good, meaning a loss of up to 290,000 jobs. Landlords have called the new tier rules "lockdown by the back door", the paper adds.