You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Effects Of Brexit.

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,212
    edited May 2021
    HAYSIE said:

Right there is why I have respect for you.

We disagree very strongly on this but in saying that I firmly believe that you post with integrity and honesty and even though I don't agree with your opinion I will defend to the death your right to express it.

I never thought the post was an attack on my beliefs, simply a question of why I hold the opinions I do and the fact that they seemed in conflict with Christian doctrine.

That's cool, no problem although you may find I'm not exactly a Christian stereotype and I'm sure at some point down the line I'll post something that will have you screaming WTF.

In the meantime keep the dialogue going, it's when we stop engaging that the real problems occur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVTmIQDRgsI
    There is one benefit that they all seem to miss. If my life is getting f***** up, it's getting f***** up by my own Government and not because some Eurocrat wants to take the fat envelope full of incentives and f*** it up to benefit some faceless European town / city / province / country.

I can take being cast into poverty by people I can elect or unelect at the ballot box but whilst I think the eurovision song contest, it's not even worthy of capital letters, has always been a joke, for years it has shown the you scratch my back I scratch yours mentality that still prevails in the EU and has frequently proved that the country / countries with the best / better product is kept down to curry favour within the voting bloc.

It's a great analogy of life within the EU.

Better Out.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,337

HAYSIE said:

Right there is why I have respect for you.

We disagree very strongly on this but in saying that I firmly believe that you post with integrity and honesty and even though I don't agree with your opinion I will defend to the death your right to express it.

I never thought the post was an attack on my beliefs, simply a question of why I hold the opinions I do and the fact that they seemed in conflict with Christian doctrine.

That's cool, no problem although you may find I'm not exactly a Christian stereotype and I'm sure at some point down the line I'll post something that will have you screaming WTF.

In the meantime keep the dialogue going, it's when we stop engaging that the real problems occur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVTmIQDRgsI
    There is one benefit that they all seem to miss. If my life is getting f***** up, it's getting f***** up by my own Government and not because some Eurocrat wants to take the fat envelope full of incentives and f*** it up to benefit some faceless European town / city / province / country.

I can take being cast into poverty by people I can elect or unelect at the ballot box but whilst I think the eurovision song contest, it's not even worthy of capital letters, has always been a joke, for years it has shown the you scratch my back I scratch yours mentality that still prevails in the EU and has frequently proved that the country / countries with the best / better product is kept down to curry favour within the voting bloc.

It's a great analogy of life within the EU.

Better Out.
    I could dispute a lot of that,
    It seems that people in this country have never tired of blaming the EU for anything they didnt like, or anything that went wrong.
    That is despite the fact that our own government was completely in control of what they saw as wrongdoing.
    Just because something happened whilst we were members of the EU, it doesnt automatically follow that it was their fault.
    Who will they blame now that we have left?

I am not sure why people have to consistently get the "unelected" bit into the argument.
    Didnt we have an opportunity to elect our MEPs?

Who elected Boris?
    That was the Tory Party.
    Who chose the cabinet?
    Again Boris, the PM that the Tory Party chose.
    Who chose the latest bunch to sit in The House of Lords?
    Boris again.
    That is the unelected House of Lords, where over 1,000 Peers collect their expenses.

I never watch Eurovision.
    It seems that we got nil points.
    The same as last year.
    This year we also didnt get any points from the public.
    I was surprised to see Germany only got 3 points.
    I hate to disappoint conspiracy theorists, but we didnt get any points because the guy was sh1t.
  • Options
    C'mon buddy, you're beginning to sound like a parent of a problem child who never sees the fault with their own child but always blames everybody else kids for the trouble.

The EU has scuppered more than one deal that the British Government helped to broker, Corus steel being perhaps the most high profile but also there are examples in the aerospace, mining, transport and maritime sectors.

You know they're there if you look for them, also they have interfered with our judiciary , food production and manufacturing often to the detriment of the original. An example would be in steel fabrication where the British Standards exceeded those of the European ones, the same was true of PPE such as crash helmets, harnesses, ropes, slings, chains. All now manufactured to a lesser standard.

I can speak of these things with confidence as the Occupational Health and Safety Field is where I'm qualified both academically and practically. Also more dangerous now are lifting platforms, temporary seating areas, scaffolding, catch alls, respirators used for entry into confined spaces (can't comment on those used by the fire service because they come under different standards.

These are all more dangerous because legislation from Europe was introduced and adopted, probably to standardise things across the bloc.

Problem is the EU standards are lower than our existing ones.

The EU leaders are primarily unelected, yes we can elect our MEPs but then the accountability stops as they all break into their little gangs and the great carve up begins. Who do I want as the overall authority over me?, well I can tell you this it isn't a German, Frenchman, Belgian, Swiss, Dutch, Italian, Spaniard, Irishman, etc etc. Not because I believe that they couldn't do a decent job, but I don't trust them to do a decent job for me over the needs of their own countrymen.

In the same way I would be livid if I saw a British Euro Leader doing a great job for the people of Portugal whilst the people of Britain were missing out.

I wasn't alluding to the U.K. entry in Eurovision I was drawing attention to the way that certain Nations have historically allowed cultural, financial and political influences to direct their voting patterns and that is the whole corruption of the EU there.

If Spain, France and Portugal for example align to give each other a high score and then blank say Albania or Ireland or The former Soviet Countries carve it up between themselves. Surely it's not beyond the bounds of a competent thinker to realise the same basic forces will prevail when it comes to jobs, finances, contracts and the general wellbeing of the Country they live in and not to benefit some other anonymous people.

Covid19 Vaccine procurement is THE prime example.

I actually thought that the Common Market circa 1973 was a good idea. The monster of inefficient, corrupt, bureaucratic self serving it developed into was not.

Have a great day.

Mark
  • Options
    edited May 2021

C'mon buddy, you're beginning to sound like a parent of a problem child who never sees the fault with their own child but always blames everybody else kids for the trouble.

It is not clear what you are trying to say?

The EU has scuppered more than one deal that the British Government helped to broker, Corus steel being perhaps the most high profile but also there are examples in the aerospace, mining, transport and maritime sectors.

How did the EU scupper these deals?
    Which deals?

You know they're there if you look for them, also they have interfered with our judiciary , food production and manufacturing often to the detriment of the original. An example would be in steel fabrication where the British Standards exceeded those of the European ones, the same was true of PPE such as crash helmets, harnesses, ropes, slings, chains. All now manufactured to a lesser standard.

I think that some of your claims are probably true, but I havent been able to verify any of them, so I have stopped looking.
    As far as I can see crash helmets are still manufactured in this country to British Standard.
    You previously made this claim about the steel industry which clearly wasnt true;

Oh I forgot Steel, silly me, yes steel production and major fabrication was switched to Germany amongst others and when industry saving deals were struck with China the EU blocked them.

You are mixed up yet again.

UK 'blocked' EU bid to raise China steel tariff that could ...
    www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3518278
    01/04/2016 · Revealed: Britain 'blocked' EU bid to raise China steel tariff that could have protected the industry from cheap imports (but Cameron STILL spends billions on foreign aid) Ministers opposed EU...

British steel: UK Government blocked EU plans to allow ...
    www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tata...
    31/03/2016 · The Government has been accused of “failing to protect” British steel by blocking EU plans to impose tougher sanctions on “aggressive” Chinese steel dumping while the industry stands on the brink...

What can be done about Chinese steel?

The EU has proposed one measure which could slow the influx of Chinese steel into Europe. However, the UK has objected to proposals to raise duties, which currently vary depending on the type of steel.

The Business Secretary Sajid Javid has said the government doesn’t wish to see “disproportionate” duties introduced, arguing that this could have a negative impact on companies which use, rather than manufacture, steel in the UK.

I can speak of these things with confidence as the Occupational Health and Safety Field is where I'm qualified both academically and practically. Also more dangerous now are lifting platforms, temporary seating areas, scaffolding, catch alls, respirators used for entry into confined spaces (can't comment on those used by the fire service because they come under different standards.

These are all more dangerous because legislation from Europe was introduced and adopted, probably to standardise things across the bloc.

Problem is the EU standards are lower than our existing ones.

Britain could slash environmental and safety standards 'a very long way' after Brexit, Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg says
    The MP said standards that were 'good enough for India' could be good enough for the UK
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-safety-standards-workers-rights-jacob-rees-mogg-a7459336.html

The EU leaders are primarily unelected, yes we can elect our MEPs but then the accountability stops as they all break into their little gangs and the great carve up begins. Who do I want as the overall authority over me?, well I can tell you this it isn't a German, Frenchman, Belgian, Swiss, Dutch, Italian, Spaniard, Irishman, etc etc. Not because I believe that they couldn't do a decent job, but I don't trust them to do a decent job for me over the needs of their own countrymen.

How exactly do you think that compares with what we do in this country?

In the same way I would be livid if I saw a British Euro Leader doing a great job for the people of Portugal whilst the people of Britain were missing out.

Shouldnt it be about making things better for all, and helping those that are struggling?

I wasn't alluding to the U.K. entry in Eurovision I was drawing attention to the way that certain Nations have historically allowed cultural, financial and political influences to direct their voting patterns and that is the whole corruption of the EU there.

If Spain, France and Portugal for example align to give each other a high score and then blank say Albania or Ireland or The former Soviet Countries carve it up between themselves. Surely it's not beyond the bounds of a competent thinker to realise the same basic forces will prevail when it comes to jobs, finances, contracts and the general wellbeing of the Country they live in and not to benefit some other anonymous people.

I dont care a toss about Eurovision.

Covid19 Vaccine procurement is THE prime example.

That is the one thing we have excelled at.
    Sad really, when the only thing we seem to be good at is vaccines.

I actually thought that the Common Market circa 1973 was a good idea. The monster of inefficient, corrupt, bureaucratic self serving it developed into was not.

Still better in than out.

Have a great day.

Mark

Brexit: 10 ways the EU protects British workers' rights
    Leaving the EU means giving up safeguards on employee protections. Here is what could be at risk

Limits on working hours. Introduced in the UK in 1998, the EU’s working time regulations mean employees cannot be forced...
    Time off. The Working Time Directive also made days off a legal requirement. Companies have to give staff a minimum of...
    Annual leave. EU rules also secure British workers’ legal right to paid annual leave. According to the Trades Union...
    Equal pay. Equal pay between men and women has been enshrined in EU law since 1957. It was also part of...
    etc etc.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-latest-news-10-ways-eu-protects-british-workers-rights-danger-european-union-a7531366.html

How the EU improves workers’ rights and working conditions

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/society/20190506STO44344/how-the-eu-improves-workers-rights-and-working-conditions

• Options
    Girl, 10, refused EU settled status in UK despite all family members being accepted

A 10-year-old girl has been refused EU settled status despite the fact that all of her immediate family members have been granted it.

Sara Bajraktari, an Italian national who turns 11 next month, has been told by the Home Office that she is not eligible for post-Brexit immigration status under the EU settlement scheme, even though her parents have been living in the UK since last year and have that status.

She and her brother, Erik, 16, moved to the UK to join their parents earlier this month after staying with relatives in Italy to finish their school year – but while he was granted settlement, Sara was refused.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/girl-10-refused-eu-settled-064949816.html
  • Options

At the risk of being labelled shortsighted, I like many others are still waiting for the effects of brexit to impact my everyday life.

My trips to the offy, the kebab shop and the chippy cost no more. The fuel my car uses is actually cheaper at £1.18, clothes and supermarket costs haven't increased and it would appear that the banks have not collapsed taking the money with them.

So for me and presumably millions like me the only effects of brexit are...... there are no effects.

In fact, whisper it quietly, it would appear the effects on the other side of The English Channel are causing consternation and alarm.

Motorists hit by biggest annual petrol price hike in nearly a decade

Data tracking pump prices published by the RAC Foundation, a transport policy agency, showed that the average cost of petrol in the UK had risen by 22p per litre in the 12 months since May last year, from 107p to 129p.

Earlier in the month it said that the cost of petrol had risen for the sixth month in a row in April to an average 127p per litre.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/motorists-hit-biggest-annual-petrol-142854646.html
  • Options
    £1.22 in Stoke

£1.25 in Rhyl

£1.23 in Bangor

The only thing driving the "average" price up is the rip off £1.39 -£1.45 per litre charged by motorway and other self styled service stations.

Keep it real, better out.

• Options

£1.22 in Stoke

£1.25 in Rhyl

£1.23 in Bangor

The only thing driving the "average" price up is the rip off £1.39 -£1.45 per litre charged by motorway and other self styled service stations.

You need to inform the RAC that they dont know what they are talking about.
  • Options
    Wetherspoons boss denies facing shortage of EU workers

The boss of Wetherspoons has denied claims his pubs are facing a staff shortage caused by Brexit.

Many hospitality businesses have struggled during the pandemic despite extensive government support, and firms are reportedly now struggling to recruit as they reopen.

According to trade group UK Hospitality, Brexit has added to the problem, as more EU workers return to their home countries.

"The UK has a low birth rate. A reasonably liberal immigration system controlled by those we have elected, as distinct from the EU system, would be a plus for the economy and the country," he told the paper.

"America, Australia and Singapore have benefited for many decades from this approach. Immigration combined with democracy works."

However, Mr Martin later told the BBC the comment has been taken out of context.

Figures from the Office for National Statistics in April suggest that more than one in 10 UK hospitality workers left the industry in the last year.

James Reed, chief executive of the Reed employment agency, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme the firm was advertising 275,000 new jobs in the sector in May.

"When we added them up we had more jobs in May than in any month since February 2008," he said.

Hotel chain Best Western said it could not open some of its venues at full capacity due to staffing shortages.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57314682
  • Options
  • Options

£1.22 in Stoke

£1.25 in Rhyl

£1.23 in Bangor

Top European court rules against Tesco in equal pay case
    Affected workers could be entitled to as much as six years of back pay, amounting to at least £10,000 each.

The decision will bind the UK government and apply to any future equal pay case despite Britain leaving the European Union, lawyers claim

Thousands of Tesco workers have won a landmark decision against the supermarket giant in an equal pay case being heard by the European Court of Justice.

The decision could trigger more than £2.5bn in back pay claims for as many as 25,000 female employees, who may be owed compensation after being underpaid for at least seven years.

The 6,000 current and former workers argued that Tesco should be seen as a single entity in terms of employment conditions, in line with EU law. Tesco claimed that the law was not applicable in the UK.

Now, Europe's top court has rejected Tesco's arguments and ruled that the law applies to private UK businesses as well, in a decision that could affect other retailers.

https://news.sky.com/story/top-european-court-rules-against-tesco-in-equal-pay-case-12323737
  • Options
    That's just pushed Tesco petrol prices up and the others will follow, thanks EU.

Oh and Tony I am aware of the more important issue of women getting equal pay so yes that first line is tongue in cheek.

However if the women were at home cooking, cleaning and looking after the kids etc then the issue wouldn't arise but that's another matter entirely.
  • Options

That's just pushed Tesco petrol prices up and the others will follow, thanks EU.

Oh and Tony I am aware of the more important issue of women getting equal pay so yes that first line is tongue in cheek.

However if the women were at home cooking, cleaning and looking after the kids etc then the issue wouldn't arise but that's another matter entirely.

Priti Patel orders inquiry after Border Force vessel brings migrants from French waters to UK

Priti Patel has ordered an investigation after a Border Force vessel went into French waters to pick up Channel migrants and brought them back to Dover.

The incident involved a boat of migrants which had been zig-zagging between UK and French waters in the Channel last Saturday when the Border Force cutter Valiant intervened.

It went into French waters and “rescued” the migrants even though they were not in trouble but had been travelling at a “slow” pace.

During a maritime radio conversation, a recording of which was obtained by the Daily Mail, the officers discuss the ‘legality’ of the operation.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/priti-patel-orders-inquiry-border-053540241.html
  • Options
    Exposed: Home Office launches urgent probe into why British Border Force entered French waters to collect asylum seekers with the 'grateful' permission from a Calais patrol that was supposed to stop them - as revealed in captains' radio discussion

https://video.dailymail.co.uk/preview/mol/2021/06/04/5433630545935775411/964x580_MP4_5433630545935775411.mp4

The controversial action (detailed right) on the French side of the Channel was orchestrated between senior crew members of HMC Valiant (left: pictured on mission to Greece in 2020) and French patrol ship Athos last Saturday. On Friday night, a Home Office source said the Government's own border agency appeared to have helped migrants enter the country illegally. Home Secretary Priti Patel has ordered an urgent investigation into the incident, and said it 'should not have happened'. During a revealing maritime radio conversation, a recording of which was obtained by the Mail, the officers discuss the 'legality' of the operation. The UK's 140ft cutter Valiant then headed over to the French side of the Channel and launched a fast inflatable boat to collect the dinghy migrants and take them to Dover. The extraordinary action came in the middle of a frenzied four-day period during which more than 560 migrants reached Britain. The previous day - Friday, May 28 - was the busiest of the year so far, with 336 migrants sailing the 21 miles to the UK from the north French coast.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9653583/Home-Office-launches-probe-Border-Force-entered-French-waters-collect-asylum-seekers.html
  • Options

£1.22 in Stoke

£1.25 in Rhyl

£1.23 in Bangor

Shop around for petrol as prices are set to rise sharply this month

Experts are warning motorists to shop around for petrol as prices are set to rise sharply this month.

According to the RAC, the average price of unleaded petrol now stands at £1.29 a litre and for diesel it is £1.32 a litre. These prices are some 20 per cent higher than a year ago, when the country was in the grip of the pandemic.

The local supermarket, he says, should be the first port of call for most motorists, as they use cheap petrol to attract customers into their shops.

By contrast, motorists should steer clear of motorway service stations, where the cost of unleaded petrol averages £1.47 a litre.
    They consistently charge higher prices because they have a captive audience of motorists running low on fuel with nowhere else to go.

Only 50p of the price you pay for £1.29 litre of petrol covers the cost of fuel and the garage's cut. The rest is fuel duty and VAT levied by the Government.

Those struggling to find the cheapest petrol stations should consider using a free app such as PetrolPrices or WhatGas Petrol Prices. These allow you to browse a map for details of nearby stations and the prices they charge.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/shop-around-for-petrol-as-prices-are-set-to-rise-sharply-this-month/ar-AAKKbcn?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options

US President Joe Biden will use his visit to the UK to warn Mr Johnson not to renege on the Northern Ireland Brexit deal, according to the Times. It says he believes the Northern Ireland Protocol is crucial to maintaining long term peace and will tell the prime minister that the prospects of a trade deal with the US will be damaged unless the matter is resolved.

The Brexit minister, Lord Frost, has called on the EU to find "pragmatic solutions" to the dispute over the Protocol. Writing in the Financial Times, he says it requires a "common sense approach" from the EU - but warns that time for negotiated solutions is "starting to run out".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-57379684
  • Options

£1.22 in Stoke

£1.25 in Rhyl

£1.23 in Bangor

The RAC publish a figure for the supermarket average in addition to the UK average.
    They say that it is the seventh consecutive month where prices have increased, and that prices are at their highest level for 2 years.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/fuel-watch/

Drivers face biggest annual rise in petrol prices in a decade
    Petrol prices have seen their biggest annual rise in almost 10 years as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

Transport policy agency the RAC Foundation revealed the average cost of petrol in the UK has risen by 22p per litre in the year up to May, from 107p to 129p.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/31/drivers-face-biggest-annual-rise-in-petrol-prices-in-a-decade-14679604/

Petrol prices at highest in two years, says RAC - BBC News
    www.bbc.co.uk › news › business-57336030
    02/06/2021 · Supermarkets have an even greater share of the market, according to the RAC. Buying fuel at a forecourt run by one of the four major supermarket chains will currently save drivers around 4p a litre...

Petrol prices reach highest level in two years - here's how ...
    www.moneysavingexpert.com › news › 2021
    02/06/2021 · Petrol prices vary by postcode though, the RAC found that: The most expensive region in the UK for unleaded is London, at an average of 130.87p/litre. The least expensive region for unleaded is Northern Ireland, where prices average at around 125.11p/litre. When it comes to diesel, the south east is the most expensive region at 132.89p/litre.

Petrol prices at highest in two years, says RAC - BBC News
    www.bbc.com › news › business-57336030
    02/06/2021 · Petrol prices have climbed to their highest level in two years, according to the RAC. Retailers may be charging more to make up for lower fuel sales during the pandemic, it said. Pump prices fell ...

RAC calls for fairer fuel prices after seventh monthly rise

fleetworld.co.uk › rac-urges-fairer-fuel-prices
    03/06/2021 · Prices vary significantly by location. Drivers filling at a supermarket forecourt – where 60% of fuel is now sold, according to the RAC – will pay 124.83p for petrol and diesel 127.36p, saving around 4p/litre compared to the national average.

UK petrol prices rise for sixth month in a row
    uk.motor1.com › news › 505514
    06/05/2021 · That means filling a typical family car’s 55-litre fuel tank with petrol now costs £69.95 – the highest it has been for more than a year. The RAC’s Fuel Watch initiative also found diesel prices...

Petrol prices skyrocket for motorists in the biggest hike in ...
    www.express.co.uk › news › uk
    31/05/2021 · Previously, the largest annual price hike was in February 2019 where pump costs leapt by 18p per litre. The RAC Foundation also stated the cost of petrol had risen for the sixth month in a row in...
  • Options
    Brexit: row deepens between Frost and EU over Northern Ireland protocol

David Frost wearing a suit and tie: Lord Frost has been attacked by two key EU countries for his claim the bloc was taking an ‘inflexible’ approach to the post-Brexit arrangements for Northern Ireland.© Photograph: Vickie Flores/EPA Lord Frost has been attacked by two key EU countries for his claim the bloc was taking an ‘inflexible’ approach to the post-Brexit arrangements for Northern Ireland.
    Lord Frost, the UK’s Brexit minister, has been attacked by two key EU countries before a key meeting for his criticism of the bloc’s “inflexible” approach to the post-Brexit arrangements for Northern Ireland.

Simon Coveney, Ireland’s foreign minister, has suggested Frost has been more focused on “media messaging” in the UK in recent weeks rather than problem-solving.

France’s minister for EU affairs, Clément Beaune, suggested the UK minister had “called into question” the Northern Ireland protocol in the Brexit withdrawal agreement designed to avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland. The protocol “is not the problem. It is the solution to a problem that we have not created”, Beaune tweeted.

The difficult atmosphere comes as the US president, Joe Biden, is expected to express concerns to Boris Johnson at the G7 summit over the impact of the dispute on peace in Northern Ireland.

Under a protocol in the withdrawal agreement, Northern Ireland in effect remains in the single market and EU customs policy is enforced on goods coming from Great Britain.

Coveney summed up the frustration felt in Brussels by insisting it was the UK government’s intransigence that was standing in the way of solutions.

“Lord Frost continues to lay blame for difficulty with Protocol at EU inflexibility,”he tweeted. “This is simply not the case. [Šefčovič] & EU have consistently proposed new solutions. Is this about media messaging in UK or really solving problems together?”

The EU has proposed that 80% of checks at Northern Ireland’s ports could be dispensed with if the UK agreed to align with the bloc’s ​​​​​​sanitary and phytosanitary rulebook.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/brexit-row-deepens-between-frost-and-eu-over-northern-ireland-protocol/ar-AAKMYzq?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    Joe Biden 'will warn Boris Johnson not to renege on Northern Ireland deal' in G7 talks - as Brexit minister Lord Frost admits UK 'underestimated' impact of the protocol and accuses EU of 'legal purism'

US president Joe Biden is coming to Cornwall for his first foreign trip as Boris Johnson hosts the face-to-face gathering of world leaders.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9659553/Joe-Biden-warn-Boris-Johnson-not-renege-Northern-Ireland-deal.html