You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Effects Of Brexit.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,240

That's just pushed Tesco petrol prices up and the others will follow, thanks EU.

Oh and Tony I am aware of the more important issue of women getting equal pay so yes that first line is tongue in cheek.

However if the women were at home cooking, cleaning and looking after the kids etc then the issue wouldn't arise but that's another matter entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTYP7Vw8fn8
  • Options
    edited July 2021

But NONE of this affects ME or MINE.

Fishermen have always b1tched , quotas, prices, tariffs, costs and competition. God forbid they ever have to work in a free market economy.

For decades many farmers got rich off huge subsidies farming and producing stuff for an already saturated market often getting paid to destroy it.

Pardon me if I don't shed a tear for the Haulage industry and its corrupt practices designed to squeeze owner drivers out and reduce them to minimum wage slaves. The biggest operators are basically owned by the banks anyway.

Adapt or die, survival of the fittest and all that. I've witnessed my City in less than 2 generations go from a vibrant centre of Pottery, Coal and Tyre production to a wasteland of warehousing and distribution where desperate people hump cr4ppy min wage jobs, often two at a time to make a living.

So any sympathy I feel is for the people of my own City and others like it and not for somebody whos gravy train just got derailed.

Brexit Shortages Goes Up as Standards About to Come Down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF8JXXxTkoI
  • Options
    Sunak reveals EU and UK fail to sign agreement for financial services

Rishi Sunak confirmed that the two sides have failed to sign an agreement for mutual recognition of financial services rules between London and the Continent since the Brexit transition period ended in January.

Ministers has previously hoped to sign a so-called “memorandum of understanding” by March this year, since no deal for the sector was signed ahead of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/sunak-reveals-eu-and-uk-fail-to-sign-agreement-for-financial-services/ar-AALEM3o?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2021

C'mon buddy, you're beginning to sound like a parent of a problem child who never sees the fault with their own child but always blames everybody else kids for the trouble.

The EU has scuppered more than one deal that the British Government helped to broker, Corus steel being perhaps the most high profile but also there are examples in the aerospace, mining, transport and maritime sectors.

You know they're there if you look for them, also they have interfered with our judiciary , food production and manufacturing often to the detriment of the original. An example would be in steel fabrication where the British Standards exceeded those of the European ones, the same was true of PPE such as crash helmets, harnesses, ropes, slings, chains. All now manufactured to a lesser standard.

I can speak of these things with confidence as the Occupational Health and Safety Field is where I'm qualified both academically and practically. Also more dangerous now are lifting platforms, temporary seating areas, scaffolding, catch alls, respirators used for entry into confined spaces (can't comment on those used by the fire service because they come under different standards.

These are all more dangerous because legislation from Europe was introduced and adopted, probably to standardise things across the bloc.

Problem is the EU standards are lower than our existing ones.

The EU leaders are primarily unelected, yes we can elect our MEPs but then the accountability stops as they all break into their little gangs and the great carve up begins. Who do I want as the overall authority over me?, well I can tell you this it isn't a German, Frenchman, Belgian, Swiss, Dutch, Italian, Spaniard, Irishman, etc etc. Not because I believe that they couldn't do a decent job, but I don't trust them to do a decent job for me over the needs of their own countrymen.

In the same way I would be livid if I saw a British Euro Leader doing a great job for the people of Portugal whilst the people of Britain were missing out.

I wasn't alluding to the U.K. entry in Eurovision I was drawing attention to the way that certain Nations have historically allowed cultural, financial and political influences to direct their voting patterns and that is the whole corruption of the EU there.

If Spain, France and Portugal for example align to give each other a high score and then blank say Albania or Ireland or The former Soviet Countries carve it up between themselves. Surely it's not beyond the bounds of a competent thinker to realise the same basic forces will prevail when it comes to jobs, finances, contracts and the general wellbeing of the Country they live in and not to benefit some other anonymous people.

Covid19 Vaccine procurement is THE prime example.

I actually thought that the Common Market circa 1973 was a good idea. The monster of inefficient, corrupt, bureaucratic self serving it developed into was not.

Have a great day.

Mark

Post-Brexit trade: UK extends EU-era steel protections

The UK government has made a last-ditch decision to overrule its official post-Brexit trade advisers to extend protections on certain steel products.

The protections make it more expensive for British companies to buy foreign steel above certain quantities.

Labour welcomed the decision, which it claimed was a U-turn on the government's former position.

The protections, inherited by the UK after Brexit, limit the amount of steel that can be purchased without import taxes and were due to expire on Wednesday.

The EU introduced the safeguards on a total of 19 products in 2019, whilst the UK was still a member.

The bloc introduced them in response to US President Donald Trump imposing import taxes - or tariffs - on steel from China and elsewhere, which sparked fears the market would be flooded with cheap steel.

A harsh critic could say that Britain's post-Brexit trade policy is in disarray just six months after cutting formal ties with the EU.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57678401

Liberty Steel nationalisation is unlikely, says Kwasi Kwarteng

Nationalisation is the least likely option to keep Liberty Steel afloat and save thousands of jobs, according to the government.

There are about 3,000 staff directly employed at Liberty's UK sites, which include Rotherham, Motherwell and Newport, and a further 2,000 jobs at GFG Alliance in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57243015
  • Options
    edited July 2021
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

2 quick points:-

1. Why does the EU have to make things so difficult for the British Isles (for want of a better term) in relation to Northern Ireland? When we were in the EU, there were no similar restrictions imposed to the parts of the British Isles that were not in the EU, such as The Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. Similarly, the Canary Islands seem to have all sorts of exemptions, allowing them to be in or out of the EU whenever it suits. It's almost as though the EU is being sulky and vindictive.

2. The various bits about petrol prices in this thread. There are only 3 significant oil exporters/producers in the Continent of Europe. Russia, Norway, and the UK. None of which are in the EU. Being in or out of the EU is irrelevant to pricing. The simple reasons why petrol is expensive in this country are because of the taxes we impose and the pandemic.

Brexiteer Mask Slip - It Was Worth Throwing Northern Ireland Under A Bus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjF55P7VqXY
  • Options

C'mon buddy, you're beginning to sound like a parent of a problem child who never sees the fault with their own child but always blames everybody else kids for the trouble.

The EU has scuppered more than one deal that the British Government helped to broker, Corus steel being perhaps the most high profile but also there are examples in the aerospace, mining, transport and maritime sectors.

You know they're there if you look for them, also they have interfered with our judiciary , food production and manufacturing often to the detriment of the original. An example would be in steel fabrication where the British Standards exceeded those of the European ones, the same was true of PPE such as crash helmets, harnesses, ropes, slings, chains. All now manufactured to a lesser standard.

I can speak of these things with confidence as the Occupational Health and Safety Field is where I'm qualified both academically and practically. Also more dangerous now are lifting platforms, temporary seating areas, scaffolding, catch alls, respirators used for entry into confined spaces (can't comment on those used by the fire service because they come under different standards.

These are all more dangerous because legislation from Europe was introduced and adopted, probably to standardise things across the bloc.

Problem is the EU standards are lower than our existing ones.

The EU leaders are primarily unelected, yes we can elect our MEPs but then the accountability stops as they all break into their little gangs and the great carve up begins. Who do I want as the overall authority over me?, well I can tell you this it isn't a German, Frenchman, Belgian, Swiss, Dutch, Italian, Spaniard, Irishman, etc etc. Not because I believe that they couldn't do a decent job, but I don't trust them to do a decent job for me over the needs of their own countrymen.

In the same way I would be livid if I saw a British Euro Leader doing a great job for the people of Portugal whilst the people of Britain were missing out.

I wasn't alluding to the U.K. entry in Eurovision I was drawing attention to the way that certain Nations have historically allowed cultural, financial and political influences to direct their voting patterns and that is the whole corruption of the EU there.

If Spain, France and Portugal for example align to give each other a high score and then blank say Albania or Ireland or The former Soviet Countries carve it up between themselves. Surely it's not beyond the bounds of a competent thinker to realise the same basic forces will prevail when it comes to jobs, finances, contracts and the general wellbeing of the Country they live in and not to benefit some other anonymous people.

Covid19 Vaccine procurement is THE prime example.

I actually thought that the Common Market circa 1973 was a good idea. The monster of inefficient, corrupt, bureaucratic self serving it developed into was not.

Have a great day.

Mark

Brexit to Take Out Steel Industry Next

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlH3gEroMgI
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Essexphil said:

1. Why does the EU have to make things so difficult for the British Isles (for want of a better term) in relation to Northern Ireland? When we were in the EU, there were no similar restrictions imposed to the parts of the British Isles that were not in the EU, such as The Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. Similarly, the Canary Islands seem to have all sorts of exemptions, allowing them to be in or out of the EU whenever it suits. It's almost as though the EU is being sulky and vindictive.

2. The various bits about petrol prices in this thread. There are only 3 significant oil exporters/producers in the Continent of Europe. Russia, Norway, and the UK. None of which are in the EU. Being in or out of the EU is irrelevant to pricing. The simple reasons why petrol is expensive in this country are because of the taxes we impose and the pandemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHpyc0kO0bk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GluZhxuviFQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMonaKtLsno

NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD BLAME THE EU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVVZFOH6uH0
  • Options
    Irish premier urges UK to ‘reciprocate generosity of spirit’ shown by EU

Irish premier Micheal Martin has called on the UK Government to “reciprocate the generosity of spirit” shown by EU leaders on the Northern Ireland Protocol.

It came after UK cabinet ministers ramped up pressure for concessions on the Protocol by warning of disruption to peace if changes are not made.

Micheal Martin said the EU had demonstrated “goodwill and generosity” to the UK, with the extension to the grace period allowing chilled meats to be sent from Great Britain to Northern Ireland this week.

He said “warning each other is over” and called for engagement to find solutions through the withdrawal agreement.

He told reporters on Saturday: “I think the British Government should acknowledge the approach of the European Union this week in terms of the extension of the grace period and also in terms of the facilitation around the medicines issue.

“There is no question that the European Commission and the European Union leaders have demonstrated goodwill and a generosity of spirit towards the British Government in resolving this issue.

“It really is time for British Government to reciprocate the generosity of spirit that European leaders have shown.

“And also the sense of flexibility that Europe has indicated to the United Kingdom that it is willing to deploy, in respect of the working-out of issues pertaining to the Protocol,

“The time for warning each other is over. It’s time for engagement, constructive engagement, with a view to reaching a resolution.”

On Wednesday the EU announced a number of solutions to ease the implementation of the Protocol.

As well as extending the grace period on chilled meats, it changed its own rules to allow medicines to continue to flow from the UK into Northern Ireland and waived the obligation to show the motor insurance Green Card for drivers from the UK.

Unionists – who have demonstrated against the UK-EU treaty in recent months – have complained the terms of the Protocol are splitting Northern Ireland from Great Britain and hitting the pockets of businesses, with suppliers either giving up exporting across the Irish Sea or facing added checks and costs to do so.

Mr Martin said there is a pathway to a sustainable solution to those concerns.

“It’s within the withdrawal agreement that the British Government signed up to, and there are mechanisms within that agreement to reach a resolution,” he said.

The Taoiseach said the EU is willing to make changes that can ease disruption to trade flows, but that the UK must abide by what it signed up to.

He said: “European leaders have made it clear to me, and the agreement itself makes it clear, that it wants to reduce and minimise disruption to the optimal degree, as much as possible.

“But there was an agreement there. There was a mechanism to resolve the issues within the withdrawal agreement.

“It really needs political will now. I have no doubt that if both the United Kingdom Government and EU Commission really engage, this can be resolved.”

On Saturday, UK Cabinet ministers turned up the rhetoric in a bid to push Brussels into concessions over the Northern Ireland Protocol by warning of possible disruption to peace in the region without changes.

In a joint article in the Irish Times, Brexit Minister Lord Frost and Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis said this week’s extension of a grace period in the so-called sausage war was “welcome” but that the extension “addresses only a small part of the underlying problem”.

The men warned the European Union that the Protocol – negotiated as part of the Brexit divorce deal – risks “damage” to the Good Friday Agreement, which in 1998 helped to secure peace after decades of sectarian violence in Northern Ireland, unless a “new balance” is found in terms of customs checks.

Following a request from the UK, the EU on Wednesday agreed to continue to allow chilled meats to be shipped to Northern Ireland from Great Britain for another three months.

The deal avoids a trade dispute by delaying the ban until September 30 while efforts continue to find a lasting solution.

With a reprieve in place, Lord Frost and Mr Lewis urged Brussels to adopt a softer approach to the implementation of the Protocol – a treaty the Conservative peer helped to negotiate – or else risk further economic disruption and possibly even upsetting the peace in Northern Ireland.

The protocol is aimed at avoiding a hard border with Ireland by effectively keeping Northern Ireland in the EU’s single market for goods.

Writing in the Irish Times, the ministers said: “Opposition is growing, including among many people who are not normally active in political life. That is not a stable basis for the future.

“The current process to resolve all these difficulties is not working and risks creating a series of rolling crises as we lurch from one deadline to another.

“Wednesday’s agreement to extend by three months the right to circulate British sausages and chilled meats in Northern Ireland is welcome, but addresses only a small part of the underlying problem.

“In short, a seriously unbalanced situation is developing in the way the Protocol is operating – this risks economic harm in Northern Ireland and damage, in turn, to the essential balance within the Belfast Agreement itself.”

The Conservative frontbenchers called for a “new balance in the way the Protocol is operated” to be put into place “rapidly” and questioned how the EU’s insistence on stricter application of the Protocol would help matters.

“If operating the Protocol on the current basis is making the situation worse, then how can pressing for an even more rigorous assertion of it make sense?” they asked.

They said that the UK would have to “consider all our options” if no solution is forthcoming, as ministers have “an overriding responsibility and obligation to support peace” in Northern Ireland, in what will likely be read as a further threat to act unilaterally to suspend irksome elements of the Protocol.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsireland/irish-premier-urges-uk-to-reciprocate-generosity-of-spirit-shown-by-eu/ar-AALJvEU?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Yeah cos the Americans never encouraged the raising of funds for a terrorist organisation. Neither did they permit guns, drugs, cash and people to pass unhindered through their borders in the name of the Great struggle. Tell em to F*** Off

We would be completely safe from the threat of chlorine washed chicken, hormone fed beef, and GM crops, if you were leading the trade negotiations.
    But this also shows the unnecessary inflexibility of the EU's position.

In theory, we could sign trade deals with countries that do not conform to EU safety standards for food.
    In theory, we could fail to conform to the various worker safety standards.

If the EU were to say that the minute we diverge on either of the above, we could not export to Northern Ireland without border checks, I could understand their position.

But-we haven't. There is no evidence to show wholesale transfers of sausages etc being transferred to Ireland. It's just unnecessarily penalising the people of Northern Ireland.

Compare and contrast with other borders. So-for example-if you are deemed to be some distance from Mainland Europe, you get all sorts of exemptions. So-for example-Spanish firms based in the Canaries are exempt from having to charge VAT.

There are 43 land borders between EU and non-EU countries. And precisely none of them have the same restrictions as those imposed on Northern Ireland.

PS. Favourite trivia question in a while:-

Which country has the longest land border with France?

Germany? Spain? No-it is actually Brazil (as French Guiana is part of France and in the EU)
    British attitude to Brexit deal will cause ‘huge problems’, Irish government says

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/british-government-attitude-brexit-deal-074238649.html

UK-EU relations deteriorate again after ‘strange’ David Frost remarks
    Irish foreign minister hits out at Brexit minister over provocative article on Northern Ireland protocol

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/04/uk-eu-relations-deteriorate-strange-david-frost-remarks-brexit

Sir Jeffrey Donaldson: New DUP leader says Brexit Protocol hindering economic opportunities for Northern Ireland

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/sir-jeffrey-donaldson-dup-leader-234600719.html
  • Options
    Take that EU! British haulier to exploit Brexit loophole after EU rejects UK demands

Haulage boss Robert Hewett bought a new depot in the Netherlands after Brexit to continue his business but found out his drivers could not drive them due to not having EU-registered driver's licences. He has since found a loophole in the European Union's rules to train his drivers in Ireland to keep his business running. This is expected to cost him a total of £130,000.

Speaking to BBC Panorama, Mr Hewett said: "We thought we've invested £3.5million by buying a facility in Europe to overcome the Brexit thing and be ahead of the game and then this hit us.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/take-that-eu-british-haulier-to-exploit-brexit-loophole-after-eu-rejects-uk-demands/ar-AALNwRJ?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2021
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

@Haysie.

Please do not attack a man's religion. Just because someone does not share your love for the EU does not mean that they do not care about others, or workers' rights.

The demise of the UK coal industry was, in part, due to the EU, however much you refuse to accept it. Obviously, Margaret Thatcher's desire to crush the Unions and the spirit of the working man was also a factor.

The EU is (or was) supposed to work primarily as a trade body to protect the economic interests of its members. In the early 1980's British coal was the cheapest to produce in the world. Fact. Poland, which was not a member of the EU at that time, decided to flood the EU market with cheaper coal-cheaper only because the Polish Government was subsidising the cost, undercutting UK coal.

The EU sat on its hands and did nothing. No tariffs. No protection. Thatcher did nothing because it suited her. While the EU did nothing whatsoever. Because the UK never received the protection routinely given to the Core EU countries. If that had been a German industry at threat it would never have been allowed to happen.

you are entitled to your opinion. But I would be wary of expounding parts of it in a Welsh mining area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ0svr3iQsk
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

EU urges UK to accept Swiss-style deal to end agri-food standoff

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/eu-says-step-legal-action-082539635.html
  • Options

Yeah cos the Americans never encouraged the raising of funds for a terrorist organisation. Neither did they permit guns, drugs, cash and people to pass unhindered through their borders in the name of the Great struggle. Tell em to F*** Off

I intend to watch Panorama, with a completely open mind.
  • Options
    Sammy Wilson MP says PM misled Parliament on NI Protocol and Act of Union conflict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZeVJtwoI2c