You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Effects Of Brexit.

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,931
    edited February 2021

Hmmm.

You really aren't giving Brexit a fair chance are you Mr Haysie?

Its only been 35 days or so, give it the almost 5 decades it took for the E U to hogtie us and I'm sure everything will be just fine.

Keep calm and put the kettle on.

:):):)

I fail to see what evidence anyone would have after looking at whats happened so far, that would offer them any reassurance for the future.

Hmmm.

Its only been 35 days or so, give it the almost 5 decades it took for the E U to hogtie us and I'm sure everything will be just fine.

In which way do you think they hogtied us.
    HAYSIE said:

Hmmm.

I fail to see what evidence anyone would have after looking at whats happened so far, that would offer them any reassurance for the future.
    The makings of a song?

Give Brexit a chance.

Hmmm.

Brexit: 71 pages of paperwork for 1 lorry of fish

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55887043

Hmmm.

Brexit news – live: Border checks resume at Northern Ireland port as No 10 denies plan for green ‘meat tax’

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/brexit-news-live-border-checks-resume-at-northern-ireland-port-as-no-10-denies-plan-for-green-meat-tax/ar-BB1dpqKf?ocid=msedgntp

Hmmm.

This ISN'T what we voted for! Seafood chief forced to bin THOUSANDS of pounds of fish

Ross Arnold said trucks carrying fresh fish from the EU have been arriving in the UK up to two days behind schedule, leaving his staff scrambling to sell the catch before its shelf life expires. More than four weeks after the UK's Brexit transition period came to an end, manufacturers across Britain continue to suffer heavily due to the new rules on paperwork.

Six in 10 firms have experienced "significant disruption" since the new rules kicked in on January 1, according to manufacturers' union Make UK.

And just over 60 per cent have reported upheavals to their supply chains, either importing from or exporting to the European Union.

However, Mr Arnold struck a more sombre tone, saying he believed the delays his company has been affected by were "part of Brexit" and would be here to stay.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/this-isn-t-what-we-voted-for-seafood-chief-forced-to-bin-thousands-of-pounds-of-fish/ar-BB1drhUz?ocid=msedgntp

Hmmm.

EU shellfish import ban indefinite, UK fishing industry told

The EU has told British fishermen they are indefinitely banned from selling live mussels, oysters, clams, cockles and scallops to its member states.

As the UK is now a separate country, it is not allowed to transport the animals to the EU unless they have already been treated in purification plants.

But the industry says it does not have enough tanks ready and the process can slow exports, making them less viable.

The government promised to continue to "raise the issue" with the EU.

Fishing boats 'gathering dust' as exports halt
    Fishing firms protest over post-Brexit disruption
    Bottom trawling ban for key UK fishing sites

Since 1 January, UK firms have been able to send only pre-purified, ready-to-eat shellfish - accompanied by an export health certificate - to buyers in the EU's 27 member states.

Until this year, they could be purified - with contaminants removed in clean seawater tanks - after they reached their destination.

UK shellfish catches were valued at £393m in 2019.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55903599

Hmmm.

Ian Paisley Jr on NewsNight last night.

"We do not have the same Brexit that the rest of the UK has, thats not our fault. We voted for the same Brexit."

Alternatively Prof Anand Menon, who usually seems quite sensible, and knowledgeable, maintains that,

"The checks on the Irish Sea are the inevitable consequence of Boris Johnsons Brexit deal.
    What that protocol does is impose the need for checks on goods going from GB to NI.
    The open question was, how intrusive those checks would be, that was partly a function of how close the relationship negotiated in the EU/UK trade deal was.
    Thats quite a distant relationship.
    What we are seeing now is the cumulative effect of the protocol and the trade and cooperation agreement."

Hmmm.

Brexit: Irish Sea border issues foreseen when deal was done

On 17 October 2019 Boris Johnson was in ebullient form.

He had just sealed the Brexit withdrawal deal with the EU.

At a Brussels press conference, the prime minister hailed the agreement as marking the beginning of a "very exciting" time for the UK.

"I want to stress that this is a great deal for our country, for the UK," he said.

"And what it means is that we in the UK can come out of the EU as one United Kingdom - England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, together.

"And it means we can decide our future together, we can take back control, as the phrase goes, of our money, our borders, our laws, together."

The Northern Ireland part of the deal - the Protocol - keeps Northern Ireland in the EU's single market for goods and EU customs rules are enforced at its ports.

That is to prevent a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland but at the expense of a new trade border within the UK.

The DExEU report was clear about what this meant: "Goods moving from Great Britain to Northern Ireland will be required to complete both import declarations and Entry Summary Declarations because the UK will be applying the EU's custom code in Northern Ireland.

"This will result in additional administrative costs to businesses.

"Businesses that do not currently trade outside the EU will incur familiarisation costs as they have not had to engage with customs processes."

'Disproportionate effects'
    It went on to explain that the heaviest burden would fall on small businesses.

"The proposals will have an effect on all UK businesses that move goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, irrespective of the business's size.

"Economic theory suggests that a 'one size fits all' approach for business trade requirements is likely to have a disproportionate effect on small and micro businesses (SMBs) in particular.

"There would be both fixed and variable costs for firms as a consequence of the Protocol, consequently these costs are likely to be a larger proportion of SMBs' operating costs and therefore disproportionately affect them."

It is the trade in food and plant products from Great Britain to Northern Ireland that has faced the greatest disruption since 1 January.

Northern Ireland is of little interest to most voters or journalists in Great Britain so the issue sank without trace during the election campaign.

After winning that election, the government did act to mitigate the looming impacts of the Protocol.

Some potential requirements for new processes on Northern Ireland-Great Britain trade were negotiated away in further talks with the EU.

About £500m is being spent on a Trader Support Service to help with customs and a Movement Assistance Service to help with the certification costs of agri-food goods.

There are "grace periods", meaning some of the new processes are being phased in.

But the fundamental character of the Protocol has not changed since those DExEU officials explained it all more than 15 months ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55952459

Hmmm.

UK government 'in denial' over EU seafood and fish exports

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-55904133

Hmmm.

Brexit leaves a bitter taste and a mountain of clothes

It is more than a month since the UK's new trading relationship with the European Union (EU) came into being but the transition has been far from easy for some businesses. From being told to set up operations in Europe, having goods stuck in port and facing increased costs to clear the border, three North East firms reveal the reality of adapting to the new rules.

Dave Stone knows his beer and his Newcastle-based Wylam Brewery has proved a hit with drinkers far beyond the North East.

With Covid forcing venues to close, half of his business has vanished, but trade has continued online.

However, Brexit has brought new rules, and due to shipping issues he has been unable to sell to customers in the EU, which accounts for a quarter of his business.

His beers have been languishing in ports or sent back, effectively barring the products from Europe.

"Before January 1st, we could sell to Paris as easily as Peterlee or Copenhagen as easy as Carlisle and now that has just completely stopped," he said.

Stuck in Latvia

The North East Chamber of Commerce says post-Brexit export costs and disruption are affecting about half of its 2,500 business members

A Peterlee-based business which produces metal fasteners for chemical drums has suspended several exports due to costs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-55858598

Hmmm.

Brexit: Loyalist figure suggests ‘it may be time to fight physically for our freedoms within UK’

Tensions in Northern Ireland (NI) escalated sharply after a loyalist figure suggested that it might be time for unionists "to fight physically to maintain our freedoms within the UK".

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/brexit-loyalist-figure-suggests-may-194320547.html
    edited February 2021

Hmmm.

As trade through the Channel Tunnel collapses border delays and tariffs mean Brexit is wreaking havoc on our businesses

It wasn't meant to be this way. From border delays to regulation and tariffs we were told would not exist Brexit is wreaking havoc on many businesses. Boris Johnson had argued that freedom from European Union red tape would be one of the biggest wins for Brexit — ever since he laid into “barmy Brussels bureaucracy” from his Daily Telegraph office in the city almost three decades ago. But 35 days on from Britain’s full departure from the bloc, there is no sign of the promised regulation dividend.

The Prime Minister said the new relationship has presented “teething troubles”. But as industry after industry — from fishing to fashion — lashes out publicly about logistical nightmares, it is clear the pain is far worse than the business equivalent of sore gums.

Today, we learn that trade through the Channel Tunnel in January was down more than a third on the previous month.

It is now increasingly clear that the “tariff free” trade that business was promised was a lie. From customs to higher transport charges, the costs of doing business with our biggest trade partner are only going one way. The wrong way.

One problem was the frenetic “to the wire” nature of trade negotiations that ended with a deal on the afternoon of Christmas Eve — leaving just seven days for exporters and importers to get their heads round the 1,246 pages of the Trade and Cooperation Agreement.

Another issue has been the level of resourcing made available to companies that have to navigate their way through a new alphabet soup of forms, from the dreaded EORI to the formidable VI-1. We have spoken to wine importers trying to contact HMRC “call centres” that have no phone numbers, just email addresses that only elicit responses after three or four days.

We also heard how a successful manufacturer querying how to win Approved Exporter Status was told: “You’ll have to wait, mate, there’s 17,000 approved exporters and only six of us here in the team.” As he said, it all feels a bit, well, Dad’s Army. And the deal did not even address the vast majority of the Brexit issues facing London’s biggest industry, financial services, which only got four-and-a-half pages. Most of the hard negotiation is still to be done. So where are the key areas where things have gone wrong. And how can they be put right?

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/border-delays-tariffs-were-told-152805124.html

Hmmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGlDoSjTiAk

Hmmm.

Brexit | ‘Northern Ireland has the worst of all worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxNHUMHdjg4
    edited February 2021

Hmmm.

Anand Menon's response to the Brexit deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45Uy9_ypGvg

Hmmm.

Anand Menon on Sky News' All Out Politics: the Brexit impact on the economy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrvSN84OS5s

Hmmm.

Anand Menon on BBC Question Time: border in the Irish Sea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbF7cISeqLs
    Essexphil said:

This sort of journalism reminds me both why I bought the Grauniad in my 20's, and never since.

In 1 sense, i agree with a lot of it, particularly re the likely break-up of the UK.

Northern Ireland? We are forcing it to ally (economically) with Ireland. It is (just about) possible that the island of Ireland might unite to join a trading bloc with the UK, but politically that looks extremely difficult. We are effectively forcing part of the UK (N.I) to economically tie itself to the EU via Ireland. In the words of a prominent ex-Unionist, this time they really are being "sold down the river".

Scotland? Brexit provides a pretty much perfect advert for the Scot Nats. How can they lose the next vote?

Wales will stay. But then it always does ;)

But the likes of the Guardian never provide a solution. We're not going back into the EU, certainly not in my lifetime. Not least because they wouldn't have us. It's a bit like campaigning for Charles 1st to have his head put back on.

People voted to join the EU 45 years ago. It took 41 years of campaigning to get a new vote. 4 years ago is nowhere near long enough for round 3.

I don't believe we should have left. But if there is 1 thing that is even worse, it is denying that there has not been a permanent change. voted for by the majority.

We need to live in the now.

Downing Street considered asking Prince Edward to move to Scotland "in an effort to save the Union", according to the Daily Mail. The paper says the "wheeze" was dreamt up last year in response to rising support for the SNP.

The Earl and Countess of Wessex would have taken up full time residence in Edinburgh - but the paper says no formal request was ever made.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-55958772
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,148
    How's that cup of tea doing buddy?

It would appear that yours is a little dark and bitter.

On a serious note and this does worry me, you appear to be in a constant state of ire, railing at everything and finding no joy, hope or delight in anything at all.

You appear to spend much of your time focussing on so much negative news that you miss the beauty and splendour of all that we have to celebrate and enjoy and to what ends?

I was simply trying to lighten the mood with an ironic quip.

Oh and as for waste what about Milk lakes, butter mountains, farmers leaving fields fallow to create demand, sheep selling for pennies when lamb was £7 per lb,, fishing boats left to rot, steel works shut due to unfair competition laws, manufacturing outsourced and the billions of pounds we paid anually to help compensate said farmers, and other business.

The EU was always a club run for the benefit of an elite few, paid for by the masses and answerable to nobody but having power over all.

It is a self serving bed of corruption maintained by the unelected for the benefit of big business whilst all the time operating to a hidden agenda to subvert nations and manipulate policy.

It wont happen in my lifetime, but the EU will eventually fracture and disintegrate, it's inevitable.

Roman, Mongol, Byzantine, Ottoman, British, Soviet. All empires fall.

Now I am aware that this will probably result in pages of newspaper headlines and t.v. clips as you fashion a response and thats your right. But just understand that I've already read and heard them .

Have a great weekend.

Mark