You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Effects Of Brexit.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,043
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I am at something of a loss as to why you create a thread called "Brexit Benefits", and then give nothing but examples of perceived disadvantages, rather than any benefits. There have undoubtedly been problems, but the sky hasn't exactly fallen in, has it?

So, in the interests of debate as to possible benefits of Brexit, 2 simple questions:-

1. Do you think Boris has been a more effective PM since we left the EU?
    2. Do you think that, if we were still in the EU, we would have been allowed to be so far ahead in vaccinations?

The EU did negotiate a far better price for the AZ, and Pfizer vaccines.
    True. But they didn't get them :)
    Seems strange that there can be different pricing when this is supposedly "not for profit"

The authorisation process would have been identical.

But if we were still in the EU, we would have been forced to hand over our excess vaccine. Like every club, you have to look after your fellow members.

Of course anyone can call a thread anything they want. But calling it 1 thing and doing precisely the opposite is a bit strange :)
    Do you think we should be hanging on to excess vaccine then?
  • Options
    edited February 2021

How's that cup of tea doing buddy?

It would appear that yours is a little dark and bitter.

We love tea in Wales. Mine is spot on, thankyou.

On a serious note and this does worry me, you appear to be in a constant state of ire, railing at everything and finding no joy, hope or delight in anything at all.

I am happy inside and out. I dealt with this nonsense earlier.

You appear to spend much of your time focussing on so much negative news that you miss the beauty and splendour of all that we have to celebrate and enjoy and to what ends?

You may be correct in regards to this thread.
    Although I accept no blame for this, as there seems to be little Brexit good news.
    Blame Boris, not me.
    Many of the other threads I start, include very funny, or light hearted topics.

I was simply trying to lighten the mood with an ironic quip.

It didnt work.

Oh and as for waste what about Milk lakes, butter mountains, farmers leaving fields fallow to create demand, sheep selling for pennies when lamb was £7 per lb,, fishing boats left to rot, steel works shut due to unfair competition laws, manufacturing outsourced and the billions of pounds we paid anually to help compensate said farmers, and other business.

You say this, and ignore that we were influential members for almost 50 years.
    Our Government is now advising many of our businesses to relocate staff to inside the EU, to overcome some of the Brexit difficulties

The EU was always a club run for the benefit of an elite few, paid for by the masses and answerable to nobody but having power over all.

Who are the elite few?
    Didnt we benefit at all from being members?
    Does it bother you that we have spent almost as much on Brexit, as the 47 years of contributions that we have made?

It is a self serving bed of corruption maintained by the unelected for the benefit of big business whilst all the time operating to a hidden agenda to subvert nations and manipulate policy.

Which nations have been subverted?
    Many small businesses are currently being adversely affected by Brexit.
    Which policies are being manipulated?
    Arent MEPs elected?

It wont happen in my lifetime, but the EU will eventually fracture and disintegrate, it's inevitable.

Why is it inevitable?

Roman, Mongol, Byzantine, Ottoman, British, Soviet. All empires fall.

All of them fairly recently?
    Is the EU an empire?

Now I am aware that this will probably result in pages of newspaper headlines and t.v. clips as you fashion a response and thats your right. But just understand that I've already read and heard them .

No none.
    I dont think that there is much in this post that can be taken seriously, and warrants a response.
    Its arrogant to say that you have heard anything that I could respond with.
    That would make you an expert.
    An expert would have quoted more specific examples of reasons why we are better off out, and probably omitted using a comparison with the Roman, and Ottoman Empires.

Have a great weekend.

You too.

Mark

Unfortunately all the Brexit news seems to be bad.
    I havent seen any good news.
    If you know of any please feel free to post it.
    I will look forward to that.
    In addition to the trading difficulties, there is also the havoc in NI, where staff conducting border checks are being threatened.
    Who knows what this will lead to.
    I recall Boris adamantly proclaiming that there would be no border in the Irish Sea, no customs checks, and that any business that was asked to complete any additional paperwork could throw it in the bin, and say he told them to do so,

We now know the reality.

We are currently in a grace period which lasts until the end of March, where some of the regulations are being ignored.
    It will surely get worse in April, unless they are successful in pleading with the EU to give us an extension until 2023.
    Boris owns this mess.

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,158
    Try not to get worried,
    Try not to turn onto,
    Problems that upset you.

Dont you know everythings all right yeah,
    Everythings fine,
    And we want you to sleep well tonight,
    Let the world turn without you tonight.

Close your eyes, close your eyes and relax,

(T. Rice / Jesus Christ Superstar.)

• Options

Try not to get worried,
    Try not to turn onto,
    Problems that upset you.

Dont you know everythings all right yeah,
    Everythings fine,
    And we want you to sleep well tonight,
    Let the world turn without you tonight.

Close your eyes, close your eyes and relax,

(T. Rice / Jesus Christ Superstar.)

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I am at something of a loss as to why you create a thread called "Brexit Benefits", and then give nothing but examples of perceived disadvantages, rather than any benefits. There have undoubtedly been problems, but the sky hasn't exactly fallen in, has it?

So, in the interests of debate as to possible benefits of Brexit, 2 simple questions:-

2. Do you think that, if we were still in the EU, we would have been allowed to be so far ahead in vaccinations?

Seems strange that there can be different pricing when this is supposedly "not for profit"

But if we were still in the EU, we would have been forced to hand over our excess vaccine. Like every club, you have to look after your fellow members.

Of course anyone can call a thread anything they want. But calling it 1 thing and doing precisely the opposite is a bit strange :)
    How do you think Brexit is going so far?
    Better than I expected.

Not without any problems-but any sensible person would expect an amount of problems.

Northern Ireland is a major problem. But the upside for the UK is that this border problem will likely mean that any independent Scotland will not be admitted to the EU. For 2 reasons:-

1. Most current EU countries have not existed in their current form as long as the UK. Spain will not want to encourage their own separatist movements, etc
    2. If anyone thinks the N.I border is problematic, imagine the problems in relation to the England/Scotland border.

Important to remember that no news means good news. The doomsayer wing of Remainers are as far removed from reality as the Farage wing.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Until we are sure that it is indeed excess, yes.
    Because we do not yet know how often we need to be vaccinated, and what combinations of vaccine work best.

If we handed over millions of AZ vaccine, only to discover we should have swapped it for another vaccine, you would be 1 of thousands of people deriding him.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Better than I expected.

Not without any problems-but any sensible person would expect an amount of problems.

Northern Ireland is a major problem. But the upside for the UK is that this border problem will likely mean that any independent Scotland will not be admitted to the EU. For 2 reasons:-

1. Most current EU countries have not existed in their current form as long as the UK. Spain will not want to encourage their own separatist movements, etc
    2. If anyone thinks the N.I border is problematic, imagine the problems in relation to the England/Scotland border.

Important to remember that no news means good news. The doomsayer wing of Remainers are as far removed from reality as the Farage wing.

• Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Because we do not yet know how often we need to be vaccinated, and what combinations of vaccine work best.

If we handed over millions of AZ vaccine, only to discover we should have swapped it for another vaccine, you would be 1 of thousands of people deriding him.
    Its not easy.

More questions over AZ today.

It may turn out that stockpiling hundreds of millions on doses is not a particularly good idea, when vaccines are likely to be updated to protect against new variants.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Better than I expected.

Really?
    Exports to the EU appear to be 68% down in January.
    How much worse could it be?
    Some companies have given up.

Any sensible person may have thought that maybe something like a 2 year transition period, after leaving, would have been a good idea, to iron out any teething problems.
    I think many of the difficulties stem from the deal that was struck, and the PM lying about the details.
    On occasion he has almost seemed surprised by some of the consequences of his deal.

Do you not think that the NI problems were obvious, and should have been foreseen?
    How do you think the problems can be solved?
    Both TM, and Boris claimed indignantly that no British PM would split up the Union.

The Irish border problem incredibly didnt feature at all in the referendum campaign.
    It doesnt seem to take much for trouble to kick off over there.
    Theresa Mays deal seemed to have had a better way of dealing with the border, and was a much closer relationship, reducing friction, as well as not impinging on our rights for trade deals elsewhere.
    I cant see the SNP letting a border issue getting in the way of Independence.

I think that the majority of remainers accept that the ship has sailed.

• Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

AstraZeneca is working on Covid vaccine BOOSTER 'that will be ready by autumn' to beat South African strain after research showed its current version had 'minimal' effect on stopping spread

An improved formulation of the vaccine Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine that will help tackle the South African variant of the disease should be ready by the autumn, scientists said yesterday. Professor Sarah Gilbert, lead researcher in the Oxford team, told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show that her team currently has 'a version with the South African spike sequence in the works' with hopes it will be ready to administer later this year. It comes after preliminary research showed that the Oxford jab had a 'minimal effect' in protecting against mild disease caused by the variant in 2,000 volunteers. Data from the Department for Health today showed that Britain recorded 15,845 cases, down by 25 per cent from 21,088 cases last Sunday. The number of daily Covid-related deaths fell by 36 per cent week-on-week, from 587 last Sunday down to 373 (bottom right).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9234545/Second-vaccine-dose-help-tackle-South-African-variant-available-year.html
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Better than I expected.

What of Brexit Benefits and Promises?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91EHLV286g

There are currently 1,725 comments regarding this video.

Dont seem to be many @TheEdge949 supporters among them.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=What+of+Brexit+Benefits+and+Promises?
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Better than I expected.

UK importers brace for 'disaster' as new Brexit customs checks loom

British firms are warning of an escalation in Brexit red tape as the government prepares to introduce a long list of new controls on imports from the European Union in April and July.

In the coming months further checks are due to be phased in at the UK border, controlling everything from the import of sausages and live mussels to horses and trees, as well as the locations these checks can take place.

One logistics firm warned the situation had “disaster written all over it”, saying businesses need more time to prepare, while accountancy firm KPMG said some of the “biggest headaches” facing traders are yet to come. Importers fear UK customs are not ready for the new controls, and that logjams at points of entry could cause fruit and vegetable shortages in the spring.

The next big change is due on 1 April, when UK customs will begin controlling imports of animal products, including fishery produce and live bivalve molluscs such as mussels; food considered high-risk such as mince and sausages; and plants and plant products.

These checks, known as sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) controls, mean all the correct documentation is needed for each consignment arriving in the UK including import forms and health certificates signed by vets.

More changes occur in July, as traders moving goods must make their full customs declarations on entering the UK, rather than submitting forms at a later date. In addition, imports will have to enter the UK at specific locations known as border control posts.

More changes affecting certification and regulations of items such as medical devices have been given a longer transition period, until January 2022 and the start of 2023 in some cases.

The meat processing industry is concerned about April.

“If we have as much trouble importing as we are having exporting it could be quite challenging,” said Nick Allen, chief executive of the British Meat Processors Association.

The overwhelming majority of meat processors’ trade is with EU countries: the UK imports pork and beef from the continent, while exporting products including beef and lamb – a two-way trade worth £8.2bn a year to the British economy.

Once the grace periods end, if the paperwork accompanying a meat shipment is missing or incorrect, it cannot travel to its destination. Hold-ups at European ports because of problems with documentation for exports from the UK led to containers of British meat left rotting on the dock at Rotterdam.

“Delays cost money. If you have a lorry held up for 30 hours unexpectedly that causes a nightmare problem logistically,” Allen said. “Someone is waiting for that delivery, possibly waiting for it to go on the shelves and it is stuck on the port while someone gets the paperwork right.”

There is “trepidation” ahead of the new procedures, said Jonathan Whittemore, head of production and procurement at Johnsons of Whixley, a wholesale nursery in North Yorkshire. It imports plants and trees from the Netherlands and Belgium to sell to landscaping firms.

“How are these checks at border control posts going to work? If you unload 80 boxes from a lorry, where do you put them to inspect them? If we are talking about the docks at Killingholme, how on Earth are they going to manage to do that?”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/uk-importers-brace-for-disaster-as-new-brexit-customs-checks-loom/ar-BB1dsSds?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Better than I expected.

Brexit news – live: Trade not down due to leaving EU, says No 10 as Labour accuses government of ‘cronyism’

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/brexit-news-live-trade-not-down-due-to-leaving-eu-says-no-10-as-labour-accuses-government-of-cronyism/ar-BB1duuMN?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Better than I expected.

Deluded Rejoiners crushed as doomed EU plot ‘off agenda' for next TEN years

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/deluded-rejoiners-crushed-as-doomed-eu-plot-off-agenda-for-next-ten-years/ar-BB1duu17?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

This is quite good, its about skulduggery in French politics, not that I believe for one minute that there is any, it must therefore be a very much fictional account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KdgEnVzcEk
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Better than I expected.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/deluded-rejoiners-crushed-as-doomed-eu-plot-off-agenda-for-next-ten-years/ar-BB1duu17?ocid=msedgntp
    That is rather my point.

We live in a democracy, where people voted for a specific thing to happen, namely leaving the EU.

Now I don't think that was wise. But it happened. Yes, we were members for some 47 years-could have been longer if the French had not blocked us from joining earlier. They thought we would insist on everyone doing things our way, and flounce off if everyone didn't agree. As if ;)

Some people want to re-write history. Particularly people whose political careers have ended. From Lord Adonis, to Philip Hammond, and now the "de facto Prime Minister (under May) David Lidington". At least the 1st 2 want us to return to the past-the 3rd appears to be in a parallel universe.

The UK has a long and proud history of achieving via the difficult route. Remaining in the EU may have been easier. Being in the EEA was IMHO certainly a wiser choice than where we are now.

But we will move onwards and upwards despite that. We always do.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Better than I expected.

That is rather my point.

We live in a democracy, where people voted for a specific thing to happen, namely leaving the EU.

Now I don't think that was wise. But it happened. Yes, we were members for some 47 years-could have been longer if the French had not blocked us from joining earlier. They thought we would insist on everyone doing things our way, and flounce off if everyone didn't agree. As if ;)

Some people want to re-write history. Particularly people whose political careers have ended. From Lord Adonis, to Philip Hammond, and now the "de facto Prime Minister (under May) David Lidington". At least the 1st 2 want us to return to the past-the 3rd appears to be in a parallel universe.

The UK has a long and proud history of achieving via the difficult route. Remaining in the EU may have been easier. Being in the EEA was IMHO certainly a wiser choice than where we are now.

I dont think that there are many left.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Better than I expected.

That is rather my point.

I suppose that if NI, and or Scotland left the UK, and prospered in the EU, it may bring the topic of rejoining back to the fore.
    Or if some of the current chaos became permanent.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

This is quite good, its about skulduggery in French politics, not that I believe for one minute that there is any, it must therefore be a very much fictional account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KdgEnVzcEk
    The programme is bang up to date at the beginning of series two when the hero utters the words "f...k Brexit"
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Better than I expected.

That is rather my point.

I suppose that if NI, and or Scotland left the UK, and prospered in the EU, it may bring the topic of rejoining back to the fore.
    Or if some of the current chaos became permanent.
    Scotland may become independent. But join the EU anytime soon? Not likely. 2 massive hurdles:-

1. The 27 countries in the EU would decide whether or not to admit them. most of the 27 either have serious separatist movements within their own borders, or have only fairly recently become the country they now are. Anyone think Spain want to give a massive fillip to the Basque/Catalan movements? France to Basque/Corsican? Italy/Sicily, Germany/Bavaria? Not going to happen
    2. There is a 96 mile border between England & Scotland. Which would be next to impossible to police, not least because next to nobody lives close to the border. Think the EU want to allow England to have benefits of the EU by the back door? Not going to happen

I've said it before. And will say it again. The UK needs to look forward, as to how to best deal with the new map of Europe (economically). Looking backwards all the time is just not helping. By that I don't mean you. I mean the sad political losers wasting our time with their sad stories wishing doom and gloom on us all. It won't be "chaos". It will cost us an amount of money. But that is what people have voted for.