You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

site unreal for seeing big hands all the time

2»

Comments

• Options
    NChanningNChanning Member Posts: 854
    edited May 2021
    Just laughing at the idea that it would cost more to buy a random number generator that was "more random" (*Googles random*).

Presumably companies selling RNGs can either compete on price or level of randomneness. I guess the bargain basement end of that market really aren't random at all.
  • Options
    alyssammyalyssammy Member Posts: 61
    and so it continues
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,192
    Here's a thought. RNGs are programmed yes?

How can you programme randomness?.

Surely if something is programmed it runs along predetermined and preset parameters and therefore as such cannot be 100% random.

Not an attempt to be sarcastic just a genuine thought that occurred to me.
  • Options
    irishpaddyirishpaddy Member Posts: 10
    Enut said:

alyssammy said:

i know where he is coming from there does seem to be more of the same suit and paired boards. but i think its because sky pay for the cheapest rng which is not that random enough as in live games this doesnt happen as often with a pack of cards trust me i know and why dont u grab a pack of cards shuffle them then deal hands u will see the difference

I've followed your advice and bought a pack of cards, I aim to start dealing hands at 9 am this morning and will deal about one round per minute (of 10 hands and a board) allowing for shuffling as well as noting all the hands down. This may drop off a little as fatigue and hunger set in.

Could someone just confirm how long I would need to keep dealing for in order to have a statistically meaningful sample?

Thanks in advance.
    How're you getting on @Enut? how big of a sample do you have now and how are the results shaping up?
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,281
    How're you getting on @Enut? how big of a sample do you have now and how are the results shaping up?

I'll be honest, I didn't start.

I realised that playing online poker is bad enough, but if my other half found me playing with myself (!) I'm sure she would attempt to get me sectioned.

In any case no one confirmed the length of time I would need to keep dealing for and as I have a list of 'things that need doing' that is longer than most people's arms I decided to give it a miss. If I ever finish my 'to do' list I might come back to it.
  • Options
    TVSpiceTVSpice Member Posts: 1,242

Surely if something is programmed it runs along predetermined and preset parameters and therefore as such cannot be 100% random.

It is a fair point but as the government backed Premium Bonds are run on a programme that is a rng, I think that it must, therefore, be exactly that.
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,554
    TVSpice said:

It is a fair point but as the government backed Premium Bonds are run on a programme that is a rng, I think that it must, therefore, be exactly that.
    Think Ernie uses light........
  • Options
    eon1961eon1961 Member Posts: 1,795
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Glenelg said:

TVSpice said:

The power behind Premium Bonds has now been upgraded to the next generation – ERNIE 5.

Unlike previous versions which used thermal noise to produce random numbers, ERNIE 5 is powered by quantum technology, which uses light.

This new technology allows ERNIE to produce enough random numbers for a monthly prize draw in just 12 minutes – 42.5 times faster than its thermal predecessor at the end of its number-generating career.

A Bletchley Park code breaker invented the first ERNIE in 1956. Following this, Harold Macmillan announced the launch of Premium Bonds on Budget Day, 17 April 1956, offering everyone an alternative way to save. Since then, there have been five generations of ERNIE and with continuous advances in technology, each has become faster and more powerful.
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,554
    @TVSpice ....knew i had heard it somewhere, most likely a Hank Williams CD?
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,638
    TVSpice said:

Glenelg said:

TVSpice said:

The power behind Premium Bonds has now been upgraded to the next generation – ERNIE 5.

Unlike previous versions which used thermal noise to produce random numbers, ERNIE 5 is powered by quantum technology, which uses light.

This new technology allows ERNIE to produce enough random numbers for a monthly prize draw in just 12 minutes – 42.5 times faster than its thermal predecessor at the end of its number-generating career.

A Bletchley Park code breaker invented the first ERNIE in 1956. Following this, Harold Macmillan announced the launch of Premium Bonds on Budget Day, 17 April 1956, offering everyone an alternative way to save. Since then, there have been five generations of ERNIE and with continuous advances in technology, each has become faster and more powerful.
    Does this mean RNGs can be upgraded made better and more ..err..random >:)
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    stokefc said:

TVSpice said:

Glenelg said:

TVSpice said:

Faster certainly but not more random no! It will surely still be the same programme written back in 1956, it is just using advanced technology (ERNIE). I have little doubt that it is a similar programme used for poker just with cards rather than a sequence of numbers and letters for premium bonds. But poker doesn't need speed.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,638
    TVSpice said:

stokefc said:

TVSpice said:

Glenelg said:

TVSpice said:

Faster certainly but not more random no! It will surely still be the same programme written back in 1956, it is just using advanced technology (ERNIE). I have little doubt that it is a similar programme used for poker just with cards rather than a sequence of numbers and letters for premium bonds. But poker doesn't need speed.
    You've gone and spoilt it i was hoping for some bites ;)
  • Options
    stokefc said:

TVSpice said:

stokefc said:

TVSpice said:

Glenelg said:

TVSpice said:

You've gone and spoilt it i was hoping for some bites ;)
    On a roll with my new found knowledge ha ha
  • Options
    Glenelg said:

@TVSpice ....knew i had heard it somewhere, most likely a Hank Williams CD?

Ernie (The Fastest Milkman in the West)
    Benny Hill
    :D
  • Options
    misterpjmisterpj Member Posts: 3,204
    Here, is a Secret, non of THE CLOWNS know

For a Zillion % FACT,...

my best pal, to this day,.....
    Ask Fred Done..................
    you can't ask, R. I. P.
    the Hull legend, that's correct, you can't
    But, David's best pal, out the Hull manor, (docks)
    DEVIL FISH (Chris is a legend, proper, Legend, you guess? Footy or Rugby)
    names Chris, (now resides) happily in Eastbourne, with his Mrs
    Seen Chris, every day, last 14days
    Chris, son, Major successful Pro Punter
    Sustained, 30 years +
    and, Chris, was Devils, (and Fred push Dones).. tightest PAL, in real life.

So, go ask, Fred Done, now.... Or Chris

What did Dave Ulliot, have too say?
    Not, the Balony, trotted out, circa? When? NOTTINGHAM..?

Take, YOUR JUICED DEAL, shove it, Sideways.....

¤ Apparently, between the 'table' (cards arriving)
    ¤ Apparently, after departing the likkle (Ernie 2. 47..02) tombola machine
    ¤ Apparently,exiting the Hadron Collider, 'they` then zip threw a likkle ASCDS

and that, my dear friends, za Fact, caused plenty Huff n Puff, b4 now, but.. Shsss 💔

Ancillary
    Software
    Card
    Delivery
    System

• Options
  • Options
    Padraig
    Watson?
    Wilson?