You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Who Has Got The Most Reliable Broadband?

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 33,247
My contract is due for renewal.

Comments

• Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,743
    HAYSIE said:

Hi Tony
    Depends how you view “ reliable “
    It is dependent on your broadband connection, if you have fibre optic where you live, pretty much most of the “ big companies “ are reliable.
    We have been with Sky since we moved into our new build, and fibre was in place., never had an issue.
  • Options
    PKRParPKRPar Member Posts: 2,235
    im with BT and they have been pretty solid. a lot will depend on your area though and where about in the country you are.
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,556
    Virgin media for me. (fibre optic) . Hardly any issues and more reliable than Sky & BT (IMO). However, like all the big firms, customer service is a bit hit and miss so if you do have technical issues......it can be frustrating trying to get them sorted. Thankfully, a mate of mine is a VM employee, so I get extra assistance when needed.

Who are you with at the moment?

Always check comparison sites for most reliable/best value service in your area.
  • Options
    DoooobsDoooobs Member Posts: 240
    I think it very much depends on area. Loads moan about Virgin where I am, but I am on superfast broadband (with BT now), and it can be flakey too. It depends a lot on the local infrastructure, and unless you are getting something special, norhing much changes when you change provider.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,963
    Doooobs said:

I think it very much depends on area. Loads moan about Virgin where I am, but I am on superfast broadband (with BT now), and it can be flakey too. It depends a lot on the local infrastructure, and unless you are getting something special, norhing much changes when you change provider.

@Doooobs

Am I right in thinking all the providers use pretty much the same infrastructure, the only real difference is price & customer service?
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,443
    I have BT at home and Vitalwifi at the caravan no issues really
  • Options
    Should add I wouldn't recommend BT, I got it for the sport offer, but ended up with no broadband at all for 3 months and they were atill sorting errors out 2 years later. They just mistakenly gave me a repeat refund the other day (this is over 2 years later), and even though it looks like another **** up, I think I am still out of pocket even before all the disruption and my time taken to sort it out (had to get poorer substitute internet, run a reserve just in case, and was greater than 10 hours on the phone plus emails/messages). The only thing that has stopped me changing is the fact that stability >> going through something like that again.

FWIW If you ever have broadband failure, 3 do a decent unlimited dongle thing for a reasonable price with monthly contract. I have fairly poor reception here, but it just about worked for poker. It wasn't good enough for streaming, and doubt Zoom would have worked, but pretty sure that was an area thing and not a 3 thing.
  • Options
    MAXALLY said:

Virgin media for me. (fibre optic) . Hardly any issues and more reliable than Sky & BT (IMO). However, like all the big firms, customer service is a bit hit and miss so if you do have technical issues......it can be frustrating trying to get them sorted. Thankfully, a mate of mine is a VM employee, so I get extra assistance when needed.

Who are you with at the moment?

Always check comparison sites for most reliable/best value service in your area.

BT, I have had a couple of issues, and their customer services leave a lot to be desired.

• Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,213
    Hi Tony @HAYSIE

Like Tom I'm with SKY, and have Superfast Broadband. They've been very good, and only had one dropout, which actually was due to local mast problem, and not SKY.

As ALAN says, check comparison sites. I got a deal for £37 per month for Superfast Broadband and SKY Entertainment package, but check with U-Switch or Martin Lewis's MoneySavingExpert.com. They will give you best deals, and availability for your area. SKY actually dealt with the cancellation and switchover from my old provider too.

If you have SKY TV package, and want to save even more, CANCEL it completely (you have to give 30days notice). They will offer you a deal, but if you let it run out, they will offer you an even better deal after 7-14 days. I did this for my Dad, who had SKY + SPORTS + CINEMA which is about £65 per month. When I cancelled it, they initially offered the same package for 18months for £45, but after it had cancelled completely, they offered it for £34 per month (+£10 reconnection fee)......Also because you can use SKY GO, you can get the package on up to 4 devices, so as my Dad doesn't use any, we are now watching SPORTS and FILMS on a laptop and a phone....... and thru' X-BOX, will be putting it thru' TV for new FOOTBALL Season ....... ;):)

Remember it can take up to 4 weeks to swop Broadband, so make sure your new one is ready to start a few days before your old contract finishes.

Hope this helps

GOOD LUCK tonight

JEZ :)
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Doooobs said:

@Doooobs

Am I right in thinking all the providers use pretty much the same infrastructure, the only real difference is price & customer service?
    I am at least as bad as you, when it comes to technology.

I am less concerned about providers, subsequent to someone explaining to me how to set up a personal hotspot using my phone.

BT have just launched their more expensive unbreakable broadband using an EE connection as a back up.

Isnt this is exactly the same as using your mobile phone as a back up, free of charge?

I wish someone had explained to me about the personal hotspot years ago, when I think of the times I have been sat out of tourneys, due to a lack of internet.

It seems that the providers are a much of a muchness.
  • Options
    PS

PLUSNET is part of BT..... but usually offer better deals. You really need at least Superfast Broadband for Poker, and especially multi-tabling. Looking forward to ULTRAFAST starting soon here in Cornwall.
  • Options
    tomgoodun said:

HAYSIE said:

Hi Tony
    Depends how you view “ reliable “
    It is dependent on your broadband connection, if you have fibre optic where you live, pretty much most of the “ big companies “ are reliable.
    We have been with Sky since we moved into our new build, and fibre was in place., never had an issue.
    The last time I lost my connection, I was 9th in the main.
    A BT trouble shooter popped up, failed to reconnect me, and gave me a telephone number that was apparently manned up until 9pm.
    When I complained, they explained that they do have a 24hour a day number, but it was not the one specified on the trouble shooter.
    I find this sort of thing annoying, when they just cant be bothered.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

Hi Tony @HAYSIE

Like Tom I'm with SKY, and have Superfast Broadband. They've been very good, and only had one dropout, which actually was due to local mast problem, and not SKY.

As ALAN says, check comparison sites. I got a deal for £37 per month for Superfast Broadband and SKY Entertainment package, but check with U-Switch or Martin Lewis's MoneySavingExpert.com. They will give you best deals, and availability for your area. SKY actually dealt with the cancellation and switchover from my old provider too.

If you have SKY TV package, and want to save even more, CANCEL it completely (you have to give 30days notice). They will offer you a deal, but if you let it run out, they will offer you an even better deal after 7-14 days. I did this for my Dad, who had SKY + SPORTS + CINEMA which is about £65 per month. When I cancelled it, they initially offered the same package for 18months for £45, but after it had cancelled completely, they offered it for £34 per month (+£10 reconnection fee)......Also because you can use SKY GO, you can get the package on up to 4 devices, so as my Dad doesn't use any, we are now watching SPORTS and FILMS on a laptop and a phone....... and thru' X-BOX, will be putting it thru' TV for new FOOTBALL Season ....... ;):)

Remember it can take up to 4 weeks to swop Broadband, so make sure your new one is ready to start a few days before your old contract finishes.

Hope this helps

GOOD LUCK tonight

JEZ :)

Cheers Jez.
  • Options
    Doooobs said:

Should add I wouldn't recommend BT, I got it for the sport offer, but ended up with no broadband at all for 3 months and they were atill sorting errors out 2 years later. They just mistakenly gave me a repeat refund the other day (this is over 2 years later), and even though it looks like another **** up, I think I am still out of pocket even before all the disruption and my time taken to sort it out (had to get poorer substitute internet, run a reserve just in case, and was greater than 10 hours on the phone plus emails/messages). The only thing that has stopped me changing is the fact that stability >> going through something like that again.

FWIW If you ever have broadband failure, 3 do a decent unlimited dongle thing for a reasonable price with monthly contract. I have fairly poor reception here, but it just about worked for poker. It wasn't good enough for streaming, and doubt Zoom would have worked, but pretty sure that was an area thing and not a 3 thing.

Wouldnt you just use your phone for a backup rather than a dongle?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

Wouldn't your phone be using the home internet that's dropped out? I'm not techy either
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

Wouldn't your phone be using the home internet that's dropped out? I'm not techy either
    No it doesnt.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

My mobile contract wasn't unlimited broadband, and I didn't want to switch it for a month or two.

There are 4 people in the house, not sure the missus and kids would be happy if the internet went every time I left the house.

I strongly suspect my phone would be overheating and struggling with all the devices in the house anyway.

I do (still) use my phone for temporary cuts in service and it is fine for that.

FWIW The unlimited pay monthly dongle seems to have gone from the 3 website, so it may longer be a choice. They seem to offer one at a similar price with a 24 month contract now...
  • Options
    Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 868
    Hyperoptic have been very good for us
  • Options
    Doooobs said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

My mobile contract wasn't unlimited broadband, and I didn't want to switch it for a month or two.

There are 4 people in the house, not sure the missus and kids would be happy if the internet went every time I left the house.

I strongly suspect my phone would be overheating and struggling with all the devices in the house anyway.

I do (still) use my phone for temporary cuts in service and it is fine for that.

FWIW The unlimited pay monthly dongle seems to have gone from the 3 website, so it may longer be a choice. They seem to offer one at a similar price with a 24 month contract now...
    I was only suggesting using the phone when your internet connection has dropped out in the middle of a tourney.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

No it doesnt.
    At least that is my understanding.
    Give it a go.