You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Who Has Got The Most Reliable Broadband?

124»

Comments

• Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,202
    HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

Odd that this topic comes up now when I have just renewed my broadband contract. I have been out of the loop for some time on poker due to everyone at work getting covid and me having to take lots of extra shifts this now no longer applies.

anyway I went with BT and the duel thing which automatically reconnects to secondary internet if dc for any reason. I think this pays for itself as one internet disconnect at the wrong time could potentially cost me a £100 or more.

I guess you could use your phone as a hotspot itself and do the back up thing yourself but the issue with this is that, using that data could cost a lot on your phone bill if it exceeds your allowance etc where as with BT its unlimited.

I am currently with BT.
    I pay around £54 per month.
    This gives me the broadband plus free landline calls.
    They want an additional £28 per month for an upgrade to Halo 3+.
    So that is around £82 per month.

I have had a look at Sky.
    They offer 3 packages ranging from £28 to £45 per month.
    Free landline calls at evenings and weekends cost a fiver.

I have got unlimited data on my phone, so I assume the personal hotspot will cost me mothing.

I am tempted to go for the Sky deal at £33 per month, saving me £20 per month on what I am currently paying, and £50 per month compared to the BT upgrade.

I can think of plenty of things I would prefer to do with £50 per month, rather than giving it to BT.

Losing the internet in the latter stages of a tourney is really annoying, but the reality is that it hasnt happened to me that often.

As I said earlier it has happened to me 3 times in 3 years.

I could have avoided it happening at all, had I known about the hotspot.

Saving £1800 on the BT upgrade over a 3 year period in addition to staying connected, would have made me a much happier camper.

There are cheaper deals available from providers I have never heard of.
    If you are out of BT contract then don't just take the upgrade they offer. Look at the special offers on their website it will be much cheaper.

I did this and saved £30 per month.
    What have you got then?
    BT full fibre plus tv package and phone
    Just out of interest, why do you have the tv package with them?
    Arent most of the channels available on Sky?
    Had Sky for 30 odd years but they decided last year that they couldn't access my Sky dish for H&S reasons despite the fact that they put it there in the first place.
    Signal was terrible so no alternative but to change.

BT package has the option to add on Sky channels. So Sky dish no good BT comes through aerial pointing in opposite direction and is good. A no brainer for me.

Broadband, phone and tv package together saves money.
    Makes sense.
    tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

Odd that this topic comes up now when I have just renewed my broadband contract. I have been out of the loop for some time on poker due to everyone at work getting covid and me having to take lots of extra shifts this now no longer applies.

anyway I went with BT and the duel thing which automatically reconnects to secondary internet if dc for any reason. I think this pays for itself as one internet disconnect at the wrong time could potentially cost me a £100 or more.

I guess you could use your phone as a hotspot itself and do the back up thing yourself but the issue with this is that, using that data could cost a lot on your phone bill if it exceeds your allowance etc where as with BT its unlimited.

I am currently with BT.

I have got unlimited data on my phone, so I assume the personal hotspot will cost me mothing.

I am tempted to go for the Sky deal at £33 per month, saving me £20 per month on what I am currently paying, and £50 per month compared to the BT upgrade.

I can think of plenty of things I would prefer to do with £50 per month, rather than giving it to BT.

Losing the internet in the latter stages of a tourney is really annoying, but the reality is that it hasnt happened to me that often.

Saving £1800 on the BT upgrade over a 3 year period in addition to staying connected, would have made me a much happier camper.

If you are out of BT contract then don't just take the upgrade they offer. Look at the special offers on their website it will be much cheaper.

What have you got then?
    Had Sky for 30 odd years but they decided last year that they couldn't access my Sky dish for H&S reasons despite the fact that they put it there in the first place.

BT package has the option to add on Sky channels. So Sky dish no good BT comes through aerial pointing in opposite direction and is good. A no brainer for me.

I have just done the Now deal.
    That now means that I will pay out a total of £130 per month.
    For Sky TV, including Netflix, Amazon Prime, broadband, free landline calls, and mobile phone.
    This total includes £36 which was the monthly cost of renewing my Iphone the other day, but I am committed to for 24 months.
    I dont care about having the latest phone, so I dont expect to be renewing it again for a while.
    It will be good to knock £36 off the monthlies.
    When I was working my mobile phone cost more than all of it.
    That seems a lot to me........I suppose it's cheaper than what you're paying currently, and I know you can afford it :);)

I pay £37 for SKY TV (SKY Q Box) and Superfast Fibre Broadband (you don't need free calls 'coz everyone has unlimited free minutes on mobile), SKY were offering Netflix add on for £7 per month, Prime is £8 per month, and you can get a i-phone 12 with unlimited data for around £40- £45 per month.....so that's less than £100

If you don't need a new phone, you can get a sim only plan, unlimited data, unlimited texts and calls for £16 per month with 3 (great Network)
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,894
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

I am currently with BT.

What have you got then?

Makes sense.
    tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

tai-gar said:

HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

I am currently with BT.

What have you got then?

I have just done the Now deal.
    That now means that I will pay out a total of £130 per month.
    For Sky TV, including Netflix, Amazon Prime, broadband, free landline calls, and mobile phone.
    This total includes £36 which was the monthly cost of renewing my Iphone the other day, but I am committed to for 24 months.
    I dont care about having the latest phone, so I dont expect to be renewing it again for a while.
    It will be good to knock £36 off the monthlies.
    When I was working my mobile phone cost more than all of it.
    That seems a lot to me........I suppose it's cheaper than what you're paying currently, and I know you can afford it :);)

I pay £37 for SKY TV (SKY Q Box) and Superfast Fibre Broadband (you don't need free calls 'coz everyone has unlimited free minutes on mobile), SKY were offering Netflix add on for £7 per month, Prime is £8 per month, and you can get a i-phone 12 with unlimited data for around £40- £45 per month.....so that's less than £100

If you don't need a new phone, you can get a sim only plan, unlimited data, unlimited texts and calls for £16 per month with 3 (great Network)
    Are you sure?
    Sky are advertising superfast broadband alone for £28 per month.
    This is their basic package.
    The same package is available on Now TV for £18 per month.
    I went for a better package, which Sky advertise for £45 per month.
    This is available for £22.
    Now TV is owned by Sky.
    The unlimited landline calls are free for 12 months.

I pay £12 per month for my mobile, including unlimited data.
    Hence the point about personal hotspots.
    I am paying £36 per month for the actual phone.
    If you discount this, my breakdown is as follows,
    Sky tv inc Netflix £52.
    Broadband $22.
    Prime £8.
    Mobile £12.
    Total £94.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Sky tv inc Netflix £52.
    Broadband $22.

Prime £8.
    Mobile £12.
    Total £94.

You should be able to get a much better deal for SKY TV and Netflix (and Broadband), but you have to tell them you intend to cancel your SKY TV subscription (unless you're already in the middle of a long term contract)

I did this and got SKY TV (with a new Q Box) and Broadband for £37 per month and was offered Netflix addon for £7 per month

A brand new i-phone 12 with unlimited data and texts and calls on '3' is £39 per month through 'U-switch.com', so you could save a further £9 per month there too.

It all helps..... especially when you're a Pensioner Tony @HAYSIE :D

• Options
    MISTY4ME said:

Sky tv inc Netflix £52.
    Broadband $22.

Prime £8.
    Mobile £12.
    Total £94.

You should be able to get a much better deal for SKY TV and Netflix (and Broadband), but you have to tell them you intend to cancel your SKY TV subscription (unless you're already in the middle of a long term contract)

I did this and got SKY TV (with a new Q Box) and Broadband for £37 per month and was offered Netflix addon for £7 per month

A brand new i-phone 12 with unlimited data and texts and calls on '3' is £39 per month through 'U-switch.com', so you could save a further £9 per month there too.

I cant send the phone back.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

Sky tv inc Netflix £52.
    Broadband $22.

Prime £8.
    Mobile £12.
    Total £94.

Aren't you in the cooling off period? Not too bad a deal at £48, but always check on U-switch.com just to see what's available.

I've found that the Best Deals for the very latest model phones is in the Black Friday November Sale, (daughters normally upgrade then, every 2 years, and either I or the Mrs get there cast offs)

Which one did you get and what Network?

Anyway you should be at the tables...... GOOD LUCK tonight :)

• Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

Sky tv inc Netflix £52.
    Broadband $22.

Prime £8.
    Mobile £12.
    Total £94.

Aren't you in the cooling off period? Not too bad a deal at £48, but always check on U-switch.com just to see what's available.

I've found that the Best Deals for the very latest model phones is in the Black Friday November Sale, (daughters normally upgrade then, every 2 years, and either I or the Mrs get there cast offs)

Which one did you get and what Network?

Anyway you should be at the tables...... GOOD LUCK tonight :)

Of course I had a cooling off period, but that was in March.