You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Who Has Got The Most Reliable Broadband?

Comments

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,437
    MISTY4ME said:

PS

PLUSNET is part of BT..... but usually offer better deals. You really need at least Superfast Broadband for Poker, and especially multi-tabling. Looking forward to ULTRAFAST starting soon here in Cornwall.

Aren't you burned at the stake for witchcraft if you even have electricity in Cornwall :D
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,211
    edited August 2021

MISTY4ME said:

PS

PLUSNET is part of BT..... but usually offer better deals. You really need at least Superfast Broadband for Poker, and especially multi-tabling. Looking forward to ULTRAFAST starting soon here in Cornwall.

Aren't you burned at the stake for witchcraft if you even have electricity in Cornwall :D
    They have to find you first ......... and then the Asbestos suit helps..........bad for your Lungs mind :#
  • Options
    thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 937
    For what it's worth, I am on Virgin Media. Very rarely have any issues.

A point I'd like to add is, as far as I'm aware, with Virgin Media, if there are any faults with equipment, such as your router or modem or the likes, they will send out engineers to investigate and replace any if need be. With other providers, they may charge you extra for this part of the service.

Further to the tips about comparing prices with money super market et al, I'd also recommend signing up for a new service through a cashback website, such as Topcashback or Quidco. Often with broadband and the likes, you'd get well over £100 cashback.
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,539
    Ironic you made this thread today

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,554

.......Sky state everything will be back up and running very shortly. They have just got to update the Sky Poker software first, so all services will be back on line by 8.45pm* latest.

*apologies, they meant 2045 (year, not time)
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    MAXALLY said:

.......Sky state everything will be back up and running very shortly. They have just got to update the Sky Poker software first, so all services will be back on line by 8.45pm* latest.

*apologies, they meant 2045 (year, not time)

:D

It must be as tough for you as me ALAN @MAXALLY , with the Tourney Lobby not updating properly, or a big lag on it, and us two bumbling along at the bottom, trying to sneak into the Ca$h, or qualify for the target Tourney from the sat's ;)
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 33,168
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

Should add I wouldn't recommend BT, I got it for the sport offer, but ended up with no broadband at all for 3 months and they were atill sorting errors out 2 years later. They just mistakenly gave me a repeat refund the other day (this is over 2 years later), and even though it looks like another **** up, I think I am still out of pocket even before all the disruption and my time taken to sort it out (had to get poorer substitute internet, run a reserve just in case, and was greater than 10 hours on the phone plus emails/messages). The only thing that has stopped me changing is the fact that stability >> going through something like that again.

FWIW If you ever have broadband failure, 3 do a decent unlimited dongle thing for a reasonable price with monthly contract. I have fairly poor reception here, but it just about worked for poker. It wasn't good enough for streaming, and doubt Zoom would have worked, but pretty sure that was an area thing and not a 3 thing.

Wouldnt you just use your phone for a backup rather than a dongle?
    Wouldn't your phone be using the home internet that's dropped out? I'm not techy either
    I just had a look to make sure.

When I connect my phone, another connection appears on my laptop.

It is called network 3.

I then disconnected my BT connection.

I still have internet access through my phone.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

Should add I wouldn't recommend BT, I got it for the sport offer, but ended up with no broadband at all for 3 months and they were atill sorting errors out 2 years later. They just mistakenly gave me a repeat refund the other day (this is over 2 years later), and even though it looks like another **** up, I think I am still out of pocket even before all the disruption and my time taken to sort it out (had to get poorer substitute internet, run a reserve just in case, and was greater than 10 hours on the phone plus emails/messages). The only thing that has stopped me changing is the fact that stability >> going through something like that again.

FWIW If you ever have broadband failure, 3 do a decent unlimited dongle thing for a reasonable price with monthly contract. I have fairly poor reception here, but it just about worked for poker. It wasn't good enough for streaming, and doubt Zoom would have worked, but pretty sure that was an area thing and not a 3 thing.

Wouldn't your phone be using the home internet that's dropped out? I'm not techy either

It is called network 3.

Unless I'm away, I never even use my phone's data,(Got loads in my SKY Piggy Bank). and even then I would probably go to one of Tim Martin's establishments . I certainly would never play Poker on it :s
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

It is called network 3.

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

It is called network 3.

Unless I'm away, I never even use my phone's data,(Got loads in my SKY Piggy Bank). and even then I would probably go to one of Tim Martin's establishments . I certainly would never play Poker on it :s
    You are not playing poker on it, you are connecting your laptop/computer to a different network via your phone.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

It is called network 3.

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

It is called network 3.

You are not playing poker on it, you are connecting your laptop/computer to a different network via your phone.
    I thought I was a dimwit, when it comes to technology.

Connect your phone to your laptop/computer using the charger lead.
    Go into your phone settings and turn on mobile data.
    This will allow to turn on personal hotspot.
    You may need your wifi password.
    Mine is saved.
    If you click on the internet tab, bottom right of your computer/laptop, you should see an additional connection.
    Simples.
    You should go back in, and turn them both off until you need them, to avoid using data on your phone.
    Just repeat the process, when you need to.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

It is called network 3.

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

It is called network 3.

I thought I was a dimwit, when it comes to technology.

Connect your phone to your laptop/computer using the charger lead.
    Go into your phone settings and turn on mobile data.
    This will allow to turn on personal hotspot.
    You may need your wifi password.
    Mine is saved.
    If you click on the internet tab, bottom right of your computer/laptop, you should see an additional connection.
    Simples.
    You should go back in, and turn them both off until you need them, to avoid using data on your phone.
    Just repeat the process, when you need to.
    Just try that.
    Then disconnect your usual internet connection.
    You should still have internet access.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

It is called network 3.

I dont know if this connection is via 3, or if it is just called network 3.
    BT supply my broadband.
    My phone is connected to Vodafone.
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

It is called network 3.

How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204023
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

It is called network 3.

How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204023
    The only personal hotspot I want is to go back to VEGAS for an SPT B):):D
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

It is called network 3.

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

It is called network 3.

Is there a difference between connecting to the internet via Wetherspoons broadband, or via a personal hotspot?

I would think that you use data in both cases.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,168
    edited August 2021
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

It is called network 3.

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

It is called network 3.

Is there a difference between connecting to the internet via Wetherspoons broadband, or via a personal hotspot?

You are using Wetherspoons data if you connect to the internet using their broadband, if you use your personal hotspot you are using your own data
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

It is called network 3.

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

Doooobs said:

It is called network 3.

You are using Wetherspoons data if you connect to the internet using their broadband, if you use your personal hotspot you are using your own data
    Ok thanks.
  • Options
    WilhelmWilhelm Member Posts: 1,730
    I've not had any problems with Hyperoptic. Very fast, at least in my area, and if you care at all about upload speeds mine are comparable with (and actually slightly faster than) my download speeds. The only caveat - and this may be true of all providers (I'm no expert) - is that internet speeds seem to differ quite a bit depending on the machine I am using.
  • Options
    Wilhelm said:

I've not had any problems with Hyperoptic. Very fast, at least in my area, and if you care at all about upload speeds mine are comparable with (and actually slightly faster than) my download speeds. The only caveat - and this may be true of all providers (I'm no expert) - is that internet speeds seem to differ quite a bit depending on the machine I am using.

Just looked on one of the comparison sites, there are so many providers now.
    I have never heard of most of them.
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,624
    I've got a couple of tins and a long piece of string you can borrow if you get stuck.