You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Great pics

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,573

As throwaway lines go this is a purler.....

"Also my aunt was Dave Macakys bit on the side"
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    edited September 2021
    Tikay10 said:

As throwaway lines go this is a purler.....

"Also my aunt was Dave Macakys bit on the side"

Grandad Jackson was not amused when he found out
    He calmed slightly when he started getting B Stand tickets each week and a new tie from Dave’s factory whenever he wanted one

The players used to stay at the Midland Hotel the night before games
    On one occasion before a big game Mr Clough was waiting for my aunt at the reception
    She was told politely, but firmly, that Mr Mackay would be unable to receive guests that evening
  • Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,168
    chilling said:

Preparing for a Snowball fight ........then back to the changing rooms to see all those with (s)no(w)balls ;):D
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,189
    edited September 2021
  • Options
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

VespaPX said:

Jac35 said:

Vespa
    Please troll somewhere else

I will if you will.
    Deal or no deal?
    Perfect

GG Vespa :)
    HAYSIE said:

Jac35 said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

@Jac35

Never. Would maybe have wanted to, but lacked the confidence to do it.

Life is strange when we look back on it, isn't it?

PS - loving this thread.

Are we lucky to have lived through these times, or does everyone say that?
    We’re incredibly lucky in so many ways

Born in Western Europe for one
    We takes things for granted so much

In reasonably recent history i’d say people born in the late 19th Century had it pretty bad

Finish school and go straight off to war
    Maybe get lucky and come back
    20 years later you see your children go off to fight in another war.
    Extremely fortunate in those terms.
    Have we also been lucky in terms of our sporting heroes?

I think you may have been

I think i just missed the boat with some.
    I haven’t seen England win a major tournament

I felt a little robbed with Gazza. The best player i’ve ever seen in an England shirt. I think he could have been even bigger without the injuries. He was 23 at the 1990 World Cup and i remember thinking i might get to see him in 3 more. He never played another minute pf World Cup football after 1990

Domestically. My first game watching Derby was v Halifax Town in 1982. We’re at about the same level now
    Only 7 years earlier we were celebrating winning the league for the 2nd time in 4 years
    Also my aunt was Dave Macakys bit on the side so i’d have met the players and had good seats :)

Golf, i only saw the end of the Europeani dominance at the Masters. I only caught the end of Seve and Faldo
    I’ve been lucky enough to watch the whole of Woods career though

Cricket
    I didn’t see the best of Botham
    I was lucky enough to see Michael Holding bowl for Derbyshire. Incredible bowler and true gentleman
    One of the saddest things we ever see is a sporting hero that has struggled in later life.
    So many extremely gifted sportspeople seem prone to self destruct.
    I hope it turned out ok for you aunt, because she was obviously gifted.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Maxwell Fornah and Victor Musa

Sierra Leone, April 6, 2006 | The members of the Single Leg Amputee Sports Club of Sierra Leone chase for the ball in Freetown. A brutal civil war left more than 6,000 amputees in Sierra Leone.
  • Options

Summer Olympics, Oct. 18, 1968 | U.S. track and field athlete Bob Beamon flies through the air during his world record long jump of 8.9 meters at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City. Beamon's jump, which inspired a new adjective for spectacular feats ('Beamonesque'), stood as the world record for 23 years.
  • Options

Belmont Stakes, June 9, 1973 | Ron Turcotte, riding Secretariat, takes a quick peek over his shoulder at his competitors during the running of the 1973 Belmont Stakes. Secretariat would go on to win the race in 2:24 by 31 lengths, the fastest time and largest margin of victory in the history of the race. With the win, Secretariat became the ninth Triple Crown winner in history, and the first winner in 25 years.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Belmont Stakes, June 9, 1973 | Ron Turcotte, riding Secretariat, takes a quick peek over his shoulder at his competitors during the running of the 1973 Belmont Stakes. Secretariat would go on to win the race in 2:24 by 31 lengths, the fastest time and largest margin of victory in the history of the race. With the win, Secretariat became the ninth Triple Crown winner in history, and the first winner in 25 years.

He needed a pair of binoculars.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Maxwell Fornah and Victor Musa

Sierra Leone, April 6, 2006 | The members of the Single Leg Amputee Sports Club of Sierra Leone chase for the ball in Freetown. A brutal civil war left more than 6,000 amputees in Sierra Leone.

Every time I see a photo like this, of people with disabilities achieving stuff, against all the odds, I hope, while touching wood, that had something similar happened to me, that I would have emulated them.
    While suspecting that I might have sat around the house, whinging, and feeling sorry for myself.
    Hats off to all of them.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,029
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options