You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Big Squeeze.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,193
    As Ukraine crisis sends the cost of oil soaring, price of petrol at the pumps hits unprecedented £7 A GALLON

Average prices around the UK broke through the unwelcome milestone when the average price of ordinary unleaded petrol jumped above 154p a litre, blamed on the soaring cost of oil in recent weeks.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10582041/Price-petrol-pumps-hits-unprecedented-7-GALLON.html
  • Options
    Why is my standing charge up by 80%? Energy firms pile on the agony

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/why-standing-charge-80-energy-090048675.html
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,041
    My local garage Diesel was £1:51 it's now £1:73 all these energy/fuel firms are just taking the ****.

• Options
    lucy4 said:

My local garage Diesel was £1:51 it's now £1:73 all these energy/fuel firms are just taking the ****.

Its not going to end there.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

This price increase was an overnight rise, how can they justify that type of increase in one go?
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

This price increase was an overnight rise, how can they justify that type of increase in one go?
    I think they just take advantage.
    When they report big increases in oil prices on the news, they assume the public are expecting future price increases on petrol.
    They then just assume they can get away with it straight away.
    So petrol prices rise before the oil at the increased price has even been purchased.
  • Options
    Yet another instant price rise overnight even though as I believe the general rule is to not increase pump prices for 30 days.

• Options
    lucy4 said:

Yet another instant price rise overnight even though as I believe the general rule is to not increase pump prices for 30 days.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10595965/UK-facing-bigger-economic-shock-1973-oil-crisis-MPs-warn.html
  • Options
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

HAYSIE said:

lucy4 said:

Could diesel now be rationed? Experts warn fuel sales may be restricted from as early as NEXT MONTH amid fears of fuel shortage as UK phases out imports of Russian oil due to Ukraine war

Fears have grown that diesel could soon be rationed in Britain as world leaders scramble for solutions to reduce their countries' energy dependency on Russia.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10607899/Experts-warn-diesel-sales-restricted-early-MONTH-amid-fears-fuel-shortage.html
  • Options
    Are we heading for a 70s SQUEEZE? Families face biggest pressure on their budgets for 50 years as energy costs, food prices and bills soar

Britain has been warned that it faces the worst squeeze on spending since the 1970s when inflation soared over 25% and unemployment rose relentlessly. Five decades ago, the country was thrust into unprecedented economic chaos by surging oil prices and a global recession. So we have crunched the numbers to illustrate just how different things are today compared to nearly 50 years ago when our budgets were last under such severe strain.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-10349969/Families-face-biggest-pressure-budgets-50-years.html
  • Options
    Families face MORE cost of living pain with Bank of England set to raise interest rates TODAY despite fears it will not contain rampant inflation

The latest decision by the Monetary Policy Committee will be announced at noon amid mounting alarm at the impact of the Ukraine war.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10622587/Bank-England-set-raise-rates-TODAY-amid-inflation-fears.html
  • Options
    Cost of living CATASTROPHE: Britain faces double-digit inflation for first time in 40 YEARS with mortgages, fuel and food prices set to soar, as the Bank of England hikes interest rate to 0.75%

The Bank of England raised interest rates again today amid fears the rate of inflation will increase to around 8 per cent in the coming months - or even hit double digits.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10624533/Britain-faces-double-digit-inflation-time-40-YEARS-prices-set-soar.html
  • Options
    A 5p fuel duty cut, freezing low VAT for pubs and restaurants and helping tens of thousands of Britain's poorest avoid national insurance blow: Rishi Sunak plots tax giveaway THIS WEEK as he faces mounting pressure to act on cost of living

Fuel duty cut, freezing VAT and national insurance changes for thousands: Rishi Sunak's
    NEW The Chancellor is poised to take 5p off a litre off fuel duty - currently 58p - in his spring statement on Wednesday, to counteract a rise in pump prices. The measure is expected to be temporary while oil prices are abnormally high. Mr Sunak is also believed to be examining whether to extend the current VAT cut for hospitality businesses, designed to help the sector recover from Covid. VAT for pubs and restaurants is currently 12.5 per cent, but it is due to revert to the regular 20 per cent rate next month. The Chancellor is also reported today to be examining whether to increase the national insurance threshold to allow 150,000 avoid paying the work tax at all. A planned 1.25 per cent increase in national insurance contributions is due to take effect from April 1, with the lower threshold due to rise to £9,800 a year. But that figure is based on out-of-date inflation figure. With inflation soaring to a 30-year-high and expected to pass 7 per cent next month, the Times reported he was considering increasing the rate to £10,285.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10634907/Fuel-duty-cut-freezing-VAT-national-insurance-changes-thousands-Rishi-Sunaks-tax-giveaway.html
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

There will not be a crash unless the Mortgage lenders decide that properties are overvalued and/or people can no longer afford the same multiples on earnings and restrict lending criteria.

Prices seem crazily high to me. Particularly in London.

I had a look for a new deal on my gas and electric yesterday.
    I wasnt going to commit to one until the government announce their support for consumers today,
    I currently pay £124 per month, fixed until the end of March.
    They offered me 4 options which varied between £300 fixed until Feb next year, £275 with boiler cover, fixed for 2 years, £275 without boiler cover also fixed for 2 years, or £147 if I dont commit to a deal and revert to the standard variable tariff.
    I had a quick look this morning.
    Fixed for 1 year is now £285
    Fixed for 2 years £262
    Standard variable £224.
    Today.
    No rates quoted for fixed 12 months.
    Fixed 2 years has increased to £346.
    Standard variable £225.
    Latest.
    12 months £404
    24 months £287
    Standard variable £224.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,021
    edited March 2022
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

There will not be a crash unless the Mortgage lenders decide that properties are overvalued and/or people can no longer afford the same multiples on earnings and restrict lending criteria.

I wasnt going to commit to one until the government announce their support for consumers today,
    They offered me 4 options which varied between £300 fixed until Feb next year, £275 with boiler cover, fixed for 2 years, £275 without boiler cover also fixed for 2 years, or £147 if I dont commit to a deal and revert to the standard variable tariff.
    Fixed for 2 years £262
    Standard variable £224.
    Today.
    Standard variable £225.
    Latest.
    12 months £404
    24 months £287
    Standard variable £224.
    I certainly can't predict the future.

But that 12 month figure looks unattractive. Particularly when you know the 1st 6 months you will be paying over £1,000 over the odds. How big would the October rise need to be for that to be worthwhile!

The 24 month one? Not great, unless the penalty for leaving it early is low...
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Fixed for 2 years £262
    Standard variable £224.
    Today.
    Standard variable £225.
    Latest.
    12 months £404
    24 months £287
    Standard variable £224.

But that 12 month figure looks unattractive. Particularly when you know the 1st 6 months you will be paying over £1,000 over the odds. How big would the October rise need to be for that to be worthwhile!

The early exit fee for the 24 month deal is £300.
    I just dont understand it.
    If further price increases are expected in October, then shouldnt you expect the longer term deal to be more expensive, and the rate for the shorter term deal to be lower.
    Yet from the time I started posting them the 24 month deal has increased from £275 to £287, and 12 months from £300 to £404.

The standard variable has increased from £147 to £224, but that doesnt matter because you are obviously stuck with whatever they say it is.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Fixed for 2 years £262
    Standard variable £224.
    Today.
    Standard variable £225.
    Latest.
    12 months £404
    24 months £287
    Standard variable £224.

Solar Panels?
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,021
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Fixed for 2 years £262
    Standard variable £224.
    Today.
    Standard variable £225.
    Latest.
    12 months £404
    24 months £287
    Standard variable £224.

If further price increases are expected in October, then shouldnt you expect the longer term deal to be more expensive, and the rate for the shorter term deal to be lower.
    Yet from the time I started posting them the 24 month deal has increased from £275 to £287, and 12 months from £300 to £404.

The standard variable has increased from £147 to £224, but that doesnt matter because you are obviously stuck with whatever they say it is.
    The theory behind it is this.

It is believed rates will rise fairly sharply in October. And then reduce in price in 2023.

That is why the 2-year rate is lower. And the Government wants to "loan" us money.

I'm a cynic. Prices just don't seem to have the same urgency when it comes to going in a downward direction...
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Fixed for 2 years £262
    Standard variable £224.
    Today.
    Standard variable £225.
    Latest.
    12 months £404
    24 months £287
    Standard variable £224.

The theory behind it is this.

It is believed rates will rise fairly sharply in October. And then reduce in price in 2023.

That is why the 2-year rate is lower. And the Government wants to "loan" us money.

I'm a cynic. Prices just don't seem to have the same urgency when it comes to going in a downward direction...
    If you took the 12 month deal.
    You have committed yourself to pay just over £4,800 for the year.
    If the standard variable remains the same until October, you would pay £1344 in 6 months.
    That means that to break even on the 12 month deal, the standard variable rate would have to increase to over £570 per month from October.