You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Partygate.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,547
    Can Boris survive? PM clings on with sleaze watchdog 'on brink of quitting' over No10 flat 'lies', spin chief accused of giving out prizes at 'illegal' Xmas party, Tory revolt over Covid curbs and polls in freefall

Boris Johnson is fighting on a bewildering range of fronts after the row over the No11 caught fire again, with an Electoral Commission probe revealing that he personally messaged a Tory donor to ask for works to be underwritten. Meanwhile, Mr Johnson's director of communications, Jack Doyle, has been dragged into the separate 'partygate' furore, with claims he gave a speech and handed out prizes at a lockdown-busting festive gathering in Downing Street last year. Tories are also in open revolt about new coronavirus restrictions to combat the surging Omicron strain, while long-running sleaze accusations appear to be hitting the party in the polls ahead of a crucial by-election in North Shropshire next week. Despite his huge 80-strong majority won just two years ago, Mr Johnson - who must contend with sleepless nights after becoming a father again yesterday - is now facing serious speculation about his future.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10295745/PM-clinging-amid-bitter-rows-No10-party-flat-refurb.html
  • Options
    Could the Tories really do the unthinkable and ditch Boris? Mutinous MPs, jitters at HQ, and fears of an even worse week to come... No wonder Commons tearooms are abuzz with the question of the PM's future, writes JASON GROVES

JASON GROVES: Tory MPs report a growing tide of angry emails and phone calls from party members and constituents about the lack of grip in No 10, and the toxic claim that those at the heart of government believe the rules do not apply to them. Some Tory MPs are also starting to wonder whether they might be better off without their talismanic leader, whose election-winning qualities are offset by a chaotic approach to life and government. What started as a rumble of discontent over the handling of the Owen Paterson sleaze allegations last month, is fast becoming a roar. Paul Goodman, editor of the Conservative Home website, which is broadly supportive of the PM, yesterday said a vote of no confidence in him had 'suddenly become more likely than not'. Mr Johnson's old employer, The Daily Telegraph, asked on its front page: 'Is this the beginning of the end for Boris?'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10294261/JASON-GROVES-Commons-tearooms-abuzz-question-Boris-Johnsons-future.html
  • Options
    Double poll blow for Boris Johnson as two thirds of voters question his integrity over Christmas party - while Labour surge to four-point lead over Tories

The Tories have slumped to their worst rating in 11 months after a poll by The Times and YouGov put the party on just 33 per cent, down three points.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10293689/Labour-surges-SIX-POINT-poll-lead-Boris-Johnsons-Tories-amid-party-Covid-rows.html

'Parties? No, they were gatherings,' oozed the PM's Clutcher-at-Straws: HENRY DEEDES watches the Paymaster General explaining the Christmas party scandal to Parliament

HENRY DEEDES: One of the upshots of the Downing Street party debacle is that it has left the Prime Minister somewhat short on friends.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10294393/HENRY-DEEDES-watches-Paymaster-General-explaining-Christmas-party-scandal-Parliament.html

Downing Street Christmas party 'had been planned for WEEKS': Invitations were circulated in November - while official probe will focus on THREE No10 bashes

Officials in Number 10 had been planning their lockdown-busting Christmas party up to three weeks before the event took place, it was claimed last night.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10294987/Downing-Street-Christmas-party-planned-WEEKS.html

Downing Street's most-senior spin doctor 'gave out awards and thanked staff at controversial No10 Christmas party' - then helped brief journalists that nothing untoward took place

Jack Doyle, then the PM's Deputy Director of Communications, is said to have made a 'thank you' speech to up to 50 people who attended the bash on December 18 last year.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10294209/No10s-senior-spin-doctor-gave-awards-controversial-Christmas-party.html
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,112
    Love the idea that the Conservative Party might do the "unthinkable" and remove Boris.

"Unthinkable"? Like May and Cameron in the last 5 years? The Conservative Party seems able to think in this way rather a lot...
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Love the idea that the Conservative Party might do the "unthinkable" and remove Boris.

"Unthinkable"? Like May and Cameron in the last 5 years? The Conservative Party seems able to think in this way rather a lot...

It seems less, and less unthinkable, almost on an hourly basis.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

I know you can't stand Boris. Neither can I. But be careful what you wish for.

The bookies have 7 candidates to replace him. In order, they are:-

1. Rishi Sunak
    2. Liz Truss
    3. Hunt/Gove
    5. Javid/Priti Patel/Raab

I'm not so sure that Johnson looks quite as bad. When you look at the majority of the alternatives.

Guess which one's odds are shortening? Liz Truss.
  • Options
    somniatis said:

I always vote Conservative and I always will!

If you lot worked as hard as our honourable members do then you'd all need a good old fashioned Xmas party too! Right?

MPs work tirelessly and relentlessly on our behalf, day in, day out, and in all weathers, have you forgotten that? I think they deserve a party once a year don't you? We all make mistakes so why can't we just forgive and forget, and move on?

My grandfather and father voted Conservative and I'll do the same! I'm a proud blue-blooded Conservative through and through! The Conservatives stand for lower taxes! More policing! And more fox hunting! Who doesn't want more fox hunting?

Nothing has changed! I can't wait for the next GE.... [Insert name of dogmatic Tory voter here]

Well done.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,321
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

1. Rishi Sunak
    2. Liz Truss
    3. Hunt/Gove

I'm not so sure that Johnson looks quite as bad. When you look at the majority of the alternatives.

Liz Truss. LIZ TRUSS?

You gotta be kidding me. We are sinking to unimaginable depths if she gets the gig. I've never known a less able politician who has held so many top positions.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,481
    Surely it will be Sunak
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,481
    Essexphil said:

They have a very long history of this

• Options
    Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

1. Rishi Sunak
    2. Liz Truss
    3. Hunt/Gove

Liz Truss. LIZ TRUSS?

You gotta be kidding me. We are sinking to unimaginable depths if she gets the gig. I've never known a less able politician who has held so many top positions.
    Tell me about it. Rather have a snake oil salesman over her any day.

The Conservative Party tends to vote in whoever the 2 wings don't hate. Think John Major-less liked than Thatcher or Hurd, but (more importantly) less disliked.

I fear the Right Wing won't want Sunak/Hunt/Raab.
    And the Left won't want Gove/Javid/Patel.

Hope I'm wrong-but the bookies seem to be thinking that way.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

1. Rishi Sunak
    2. Liz Truss
    3. Hunt/Gove

Frightening thought.
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

Surely it will be Sunak

May well be. Would be if it was the choice of the electorate. But it is not.

There are whispers that he has been plotting against Johnson. Something that was never really proved in Hurd/Thatcher. And was enough to stop Hurd being elected. People didn't vote "for" Major. They voted against Thatcher/Hurd.

Those whispers are going to get louder unless he can strike some deals within the Party pretty quickly.

Interesting times.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

1. Rishi Sunak
    2. Liz Truss
    3. Hunt/Gove

I just looked at the odds on oddschecker.com.
    The betting on Liz Truss is weird.
    Bet365 have her at 12/1, while William Hill go 5/2.
    All of them have Rishi Sunak as quite a short priced favourite.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-conservative-leader
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

1. Rishi Sunak
    2. Liz Truss
    3. Hunt/Gove

Lump on that Bet 365. She is 4/1 or less nearly everywhere else, and narrowing.
    Not saying she will win. Am saying 12/1 is great odds.
  • Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    1/66 Boris wont shed a tear during his leaving speech. Skinny.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

1. Rishi Sunak
    2. Liz Truss
    3. Hunt/Gove

Sunak is not that short-priced. Generally available at 9/4-add in Bookies margin, and they think he has about a 25% chance. The favourite. But hardly a shoo-in

Key will be in the next week. How quickly will Johnson go, how bold will Sunak be, and can he get both someone from the Left AND someone from the Right to back him? Meanwhile, people will be anonymously plotting against him.
  • Options
    chilling said:

Take that bet all day.

He will. And we won't see the onion in the background.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

1. Rishi Sunak
    2. Liz Truss
    3. Hunt/Gove

Liz Truss aide was 'axed over unsubtle bid for her to be Prime Minister' after Foreign Secretary's ally angered No10

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10248041/Liz-Truss-aide-axed-unsubtle-bid-Prime-Minister-angered-No10.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

chilling said:

Take that bet all day.

He will. And we won't see the onion in the background.
    Nigel Farage is as short as 50/1.
    Thats shorter than Geoffrey Cox.