You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Partygate.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,547
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Love the idea that the Conservative Party might do the "unthinkable" and remove Boris.

"Unthinkable"? Like May and Cameron in the last 5 years? The Conservative Party seems able to think in this way rather a lot...

It seems less, and less unthinkable, almost on an hourly basis.
    I know you can't stand Boris. Neither can I. But be careful what you wish for.

The bookies have 7 candidates to replace him. In order, they are:-

1. Rishi Sunak
    2. Liz Truss
    3. Hunt/Gove
    5. Javid/Priti Patel/Raab

I'm not so sure that Johnson looks quite as bad. When you look at the majority of the alternatives.

Guess which one's odds are shortening? Liz Truss.
    I just looked at the odds on oddschecker.com.
    The betting on Liz Truss is weird.
    Bet365 have her at 12/1, while William Hill go 5/2.
    All of them have Rishi Sunak as quite a short priced favourite.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-conservative-leader
    Lump on that Bet 365. She is 4/1 or less nearly everywhere else, and narrowing.
    Not saying she will win. Am saying 12/1 is great odds.

The odds on Johnson leaving office this year were slashed from 149/1 to 7/1 after the video was broadcast by ITV.

Sunak favourite to succeed Johnson...
    Rishi Sunak is the favourite to succeed Boris Johnson as leader of the Conservative party as the prime minister receives more criticism about a Christmas party, which number 10 denies, in Downing Street last year.

https://betting.betfair.com/politics/uk-politics/boris-johnson-exit-date-odds-bettors-backing-early-departure-amid-fury-over-christmas-party-081221-204.html
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Team Theresa May plots revenge on Boris Johnson: As another torrid week looms, GLEN OWEN reveals the PM's predecessor is among Tories scenting blood

As Tory MPs gathered in sombre huddles on Wednesday to dissect Boris Johnson's (centre) Commons mauling over 'Partygate', allies of Theresa May (right) moved among them like undertakers. 'It's time to send the letters,' said one senior figure from Mrs May's Government, referring to the process by which Tory MPs trigger a leadership election. When Mrs May was in Downing Street, she likened the troublesome Mr Johnson to a dog that 'was put down when its master decided it wasn't needed any more'. Since he succeeded her in No 10, she has seethed on his backbenches, making increasingly outspoken criticisms over issues such as Brexit, Covid restrictions and his 'ill-judged and just plain wrong' performance over sleaze. Pictured left: Chancellor Rishi Sunak.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10300039/The-Mail-Sundays-political-editor-reveals-PMs-predecessor-Tories-scenting-blood.html
  • Options
    Keir Starmer takes a NINE POINT lead over Boris Johnson in latest poll as Government faces fury over Downing Street Christmas party

The poll of voting intentions found that 41 percent would vote for Keir Starmer's Labour (an increase of 3 percent), while just 32 percent (a decrease of four percent) would vote for the Tories.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10300027/Keir-Starmer-takes-NINE-POINT-lead-Boris-Johnson-latest-poll.html
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,112
    The Conservative Party work on a different level to most of us.

What is the likeliest reason for Tory MPs to want to force a vote on whether the PM stays? (Other than self-interest, natch)

1. Lying about Parties at No 10?
    2. Lying about the cost/source of doing up his flat?
    3. Being routinely humiliated at PMQs? (Clue:-people who trounce him aren't "playing politics"-it is MPs job)

No. It will be the 1 thing he is getting roughly right-proportionate, limited extra health measures to try and save lives.

In its way, seems quite satisfying that this buffoon will likely fail because of actually trying to do the right thing.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

What is the likeliest reason for Tory MPs to want to force a vote on whether the PM stays? (Other than self-interest, natch)

3. Being routinely humiliated at PMQs? (Clue:-people who trounce him aren't "playing politics"-it is MPs job)

No. It will be the 1 thing he is getting roughly right-proportionate, limited extra health measures to try and save lives.

In its way, seems quite satisfying that this buffoon will likely fail because of actually trying to do the right thing.

I didnt think of it in those terms, but you are probably quite right.
    Although I think that he may well have exacerbated this.
    If you believe that he came up with the latest covid restrictions a week early, in order use them as a dead cat strategy, and lure the press away from all the other bad publicity, he is likely to get more flak when he increases restrictions again next week.
    He would have been likely to have got into less trouble increasing restrictions just once.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,321

The worry for me is that he will delay the further COVID restrictions we so badly need as a way of buying time from his detractors.
  • Options

Imagine you are given this choice for Prime Minister;

Boris Johnson

Liz Truss

Yikes.

• Options
    Essexphil said:

Labour could probably sink him next week.
    It seems that Keir Starmer is not prepared to vote against them.
    If Boris was leader of the opposition, I am certain that he wouldnt have to think twice about it.
  • Options

Actually, you could widen the question.

Who would you want as our next Prime Minister;

Boris Johnson

Liz Truss

A Conspiracy theorist
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

The worry for me is that he will delay the further COVID restrictions we so badly need as a way of buying time from his detractors.

He is supposed to be listening to the scientists, rather than his back benchers.
    Some of them appear to think that being told to wear a mask impinges on our civil liberties, and is somehow not manly.
    You only have to look around the House of Commons, to see no masks on the Tory benches, and most of them wearing them on the opposition benches.
    They intend to make mask wearing compulsory in many indoor venues where large groups of people meet, although the House of Commons doesnt count.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Imagine you are given this choice for Prime Minister;

Boris Johnson

Liz Truss

Yikes.

Surely Rishi Sunak is more likely than Liz Truss.
  • Options

Well yes, much more so, thank goodness. It's not an impossibility though, far from it. She'd need help filling in the Application Form though.
  • Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    Starmer must know what’s going on. PM job is a hot potato.
    The future PM will need to have a communist tilt, or just a complete banker.

• Options
    somniatissomniatis Member Posts: 219

' I have this feeling man, 'cause you know, it's just a handful of people who run everything, you know … that's true, it's provable. It's not … I'm not a **** conspiracy nut, it's provable. A handful, a very small elite, run and own these corporations, which include the mainstream media. I have this feeling that whoever is elected president, like Clinton was, no matter what you promise on the campaign trail – blah, blah, blah – when you win, you go into this smoke-filled room with the twelve industrialist capitalist scum-**** who got you in there. And you're in this smoky room, and this little film screen comes down … and a big guy with a cigar goes, "Roll the film." And it's a shot of the Kennedy assassination from an angle you've never seen before … that looks suspiciously like it's from the grassy knoll. And then the screen goes up and the lights come up, and they go to the new president, "Any questions?" "Er, just what my agenda is." "First we bomb Baghdad." "You got it …" ' Bill Hicks
  • Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    somniatis said:

' I have this feeling man, 'cause you know, it's just a handful of people who run everything, you know … that's true, it's provable. It's not … I'm not a **** conspiracy nut, it's provable. A handful, a very small elite, run and own these corporations, which include the mainstream media. I have this feeling that whoever is elected president, like Clinton was, no matter what you promise on the campaign trail – blah, blah, blah – when you win, you go into this smoke-filled room with the twelve industrialist capitalist scum-**** who got you in there. And you're in this smoky room, and this little film screen comes down … and a big guy with a cigar goes, "Roll the film." And it's a shot of the Kennedy assassination from an angle you've never seen before … that looks suspiciously like it's from the grassy knoll. And then the screen goes up and the lights come up, and they go to the new president, "Any questions?" "Er, just what my agenda is." "First we bomb Baghdad." "You got it …" ' Bill Hicks

Prove you’re not a bot.